http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 02:05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints Row - I was wrong  (Read 1796 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2006, 04:39:15 AM »

I have to admit it, I was wrong to write off Saints Row when it was released.  The demo really put me off with the overly "gangsta" style and things like "Freckled Bitches" and the prostitute mission, but I played the demo again recently and decided to buy it used off ebay since it was under $30.  Now that I've been playing the full game for a while I have to admit that it is a very fun and polished game. 

Of course it is derivative of the recent GTA games, but it does everything so well that I don't mind at all.  The graphics are quite nice, character customization is extensive, the vehicle physics are great fun, the missions are well done and there is enough extra stuff to do to keep me entertained for what looks like quite a while.  Hell, I'm having fun just trying to get one of every car in my garage (I love that you can put in as many as you want!).

It doesn't have nearly as big of an area as San Andreas but a lot of that was open ground and I got sick of driving all over hell anyway.  That was one of the reasons I quit playing it.  There is also lots of room for more vehicle types like motorcycles, boats and such like the GTA games added as they went along, but I don't miss them much. 

Anyway, it's very fun game and I'm glad I picked it up! 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:40:45 AM »

I had a great time with this game.  I bored of the GTA series sometime during Vice City.  This one polished up the formula nicely and brought back my interest.  I'm very much looking forward to a sequel and expanded content.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 12:09:06 PM »

yeah its a decent game....i didnt get that far though,as other games came out at the same time,and i kinda just went off playing them and havent gone back,i will do one day though...........saying that,my character looks funny when he is running,it looks as though he has shat his pants

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:55:54 PM »

IT is a good game... I have to go back to that one.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:02:40 PM »

I put more time into Saint's Row than any other 360 game... and I'm not afreaid to admit it!  icon_smile
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »

Agree, great game indeed.. especially loved the homies system and your home town where if anyone came after you (or if you went after anyone) all your buddies would come in swinging at your side.

Only real gripe with the game was there was no blood.. which GTA had plenty of!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 03:22:40 PM »

It's one of those games I've had my eye on and will probably get.  It looks good and looks like fun.

I'm just surprised at how quickly talk about it seems to have disappeared.  I dunno if that's because it's 360 only or if it's because everyone's moved on to Gears of War.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 06:06:33 PM »

I can give the thumbs up for this game. This is one of the very few games that I completed. The missions are varied and fun although some are a little annoying. The nice part is if you get sick of something you can easily move on to something different. My favorite mission was the hitman missions. Also, the non-story missions are nicely randomized so experiences for different users can be different.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 06:42:42 PM »

I finally dug into it recently and started to see the light. It's really fun.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 08:27:27 PM »

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit too-I got frustrated wheN I had to replay one mission like 10 times and then I had to return the game to Blockbuster, but I actually would really like to play it again. I think I underrated it.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 08:59:32 PM »

Tom Chick reviewed it and scored it an A+eek
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 09:00:44 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on December 18, 2006, 08:59:32 PM

As usual, I would trust that review as far as I could..throw it? Does that make sense? Probably not. Nonetheless, I underrated it, but that is a gross, hyperbolic overrating.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »

I finished two of the storylines...and absolutely hated how I had to complete side-missions to keep the main stories going.  I didn't find any of them particularily engaging, either.  That said, the physics engine made Saints Row pretty special in terms of the free-roaming sort of game.  It had funny moments, but usually of the roll-eyes variety.

Good game, but A+?  No way.

Is it in contention for ANYBODY'S GOTY?  I doubt it, critics-wise.  Then how could it be an A+?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »

Just pointing out that that Tom Chick can be one strange dude. De gustibus and all that, I guess.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 03:01:25 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 18, 2006, 09:05:04 PM

I finished two of the storylines...and absolutely hated how I had to complete side-missions to keep the main stories going.  I didn't find any of them particularily engaging, either.  That said, the physics engine made Saints Row pretty special in terms of the free-roaming sort of game.  It had funny moments, but usually of the roll-eyes variety.

I can see how having to fill up your respect meter to do missions would be a pain in the butt, but I've never had a problem with it.  In fact, I felt kind of stupid because I didn't fully realize how that system of "buying" missions worked until over 10 hours into the game.  I think I currently have x8 full respect bars and usually have to make myself go do story missions because I'm having so much fun just screwing around.  So far I've only finished the Vice Kings storyline and a couple missions from the other guys. 

Also, you can actually gain respect just by killing rival gang members and get Respect multipliers with "upgraded" clothing, tatoos and such. 

I really want to like the Chop Shop missions, but most of the time it seems like I don't find any of the car I need in the zone they say it should be in, and then when I finally give up after driving around in circles I find like 4 of them in a different area. 

Another thing that annoyed me was that I was earning something like $3000 a day for all of the neighborhoods I had taken over, but since my damn house only held $2000 (until I finished a storyline and got another crib) I think most of that money just disappeared.  Bastards. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 08:38:51 AM »

just for those still interested in this game,there is now a HO HO HO pack to download for free from the marketplace....i think its santa/xmas themed clothes for your badass

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 04:37:43 AM »

Have to say, I was wrong too. I tried the demo but it didn't just seem worth it to me. I picked it up a couple of days ago out of boredom and I'm finding it a lot of fun. As noted above, the area is smaller than GTASA, but it seems richer and more detailed and the NPCs certainly are more interesting. Just a lot of fun, althought I still suck at aiming with a joystick versus a mouse.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »

i have just started this one again while i wait for my dead rising guide to come from Amazon

some of these features i hope will make it into GTA4,which of course this always gets compared to...the character creator for one,which i dont think will happen as you play that Russian guy

but this game is quite good,I am enjoying it all over again and hopefully i will get further this time before i lose interest

never been online with it though as that doesnt really interest me for these kind of games(online GTA doesnt interest me either)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »

....and we scored it a 90%.  http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=658

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 05:58:36 AM »

i have been playing this again for a few days now,and every time i go on it and play for a few hours,all it has done is rain ...constant rain (in the game that is)...i think its glitched or something,somehow...although it isnt really effecting my game,but i did see it sunny when i first bought it last year

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 02:22:55 PM »

I may have to pick this up again during the upcoming drought.  I still remember having my tubby, green afroed, no pants/shirt wearing character for MP....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on December 18, 2006, 06:06:33 PM

My favorite mission was the hitman missions.

Grenade Bucky, the hot-dog guy!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 05:51:17 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 22, 2007, 02:03:10 PM

....and we scored it a 90%.  http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=658

I believe it's the plus sign in Tom Chick's score that is confusing people, no one is arguing that is not a 90%/A title.  Tongue

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »

yay,i just finished this....good game,difficulty is proberbly just right for me(in other words,not that many timed missions)

the ending however leaves a lot of questions...

i still have one or two activities i wanna try,and i may try out online,but other than that,i fell as though i got my moneies worth,and thats all that matters

i think 90% is spot on

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: