http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:25:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints Row 2  (Read 12772 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on October 21, 2008, 12:34:13 AM

The activities that are bugging me include FUZZ and Crowd Control.

And right now I'm flying level six of the trailer park Heli Assault. I'm stuck in a building, waiting for the van to die, but she's waiting for me, so we're in an endless loop. If I reset the 360 I lose all my progress since I haven't saved. Damn, damn, damn.

UPDATE: I did a save, right in the mission and reloaded that save. It put me back in my crib, but did save the first five levels I achieved in Heli Assault, thank goodness.

I found Fuzz and Crowd Control to be the most fun activities. Then again, I am playing co-op with my brother. It made Heli Assault so much easier since he concentrated on flying while I was the gunner and concentrated on blowing stuff up.

The trick to Fuzz is to make sure you use the weapon the camera guy says to use. He won't always recommend a specific weapon, but make sure you do use it when he says so. It will increase the footage meter quite a bit.

Crowd Control at the higher levels got quite challenging. It would get to a point where I was grabbing and tossing people and my brother would have to stand guard on the celebrity and swing away with the bat to keep the annoyance meter down.
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »

I'm also loving this one.  Playing GTA IV was like reading a detailed but tedious crime novel.  Playing SR2 is like reading an over-the-top gangster comic book.  I can appreciate the virtues of the former, but the latter sure is more fun.

My one nitpick is I think they made a mistake giving the main character a voice this time around.  The ways they worked around the PC being mostly mute in the first one were clever.  Plus, on the rare occasions when he did speak, it was hillarious.  This time around, it seems like the PC is occasionally funny, but spouts a lot of nonsense, too. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »

Two nights ago, my wife forbid me to buy this game used from coopasonic, claiming I had been buying too many games lately. This irked me to no end, mostly because this was so out of character for her as she usually doesn't care how much I pursue my gaming habit. I almost bought the game anyway, you know TO EXERT MY MANLY INDEPENDENCE, but then like any pussified husband figured it wasn't worth the fight.

Well it all makes sense now. My wife surprised me with the game last night! It was my 1/3 of a century birthday (33.3repeating), which I somehow was able to persuade her was a gift-worthy occasion. She had already bought it for me and wanted to surprise me with over dinner. Niiiiiice.

Anyway, I got in a couple hours last night and love it so far. It took me 30 minutes to create my character-- he's an overweight greaser with a flat-top and red mutton chops. I then joined rrmorton for some insane mayhem. Good times. My favorite moment was when rrmorton approached a stripper, hunched over with her bum in the air cowering after shots were fired in her strip club. He positioned himself next to her rear and let loose with his "ride the donkey" animation. Sooo wrong, but oh so right. smile

On the downside, our session ended when I had a hard freeze. I hope autosave saved some of my progress since I was having too much fun to save it manually. I hope they can patch out the lock-ups.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:20 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on October 21, 2008, 04:46:51 PM

This game is so damn fun. I LOVE IT.

I just wish it wouldn't crash and freeze and get broken missions so often. But lordy, is it ever worth the occasional frustration.

While I was playing last night it occurred to me just how much GAME is in the game. These giant playground open world games are turning into all the game anyone ever needs with so many sights to see and modes to play, any one of which would have been a complete purchase all by itself 10 or 15 years ago. Anyone remember Destruction Derby for the PC from 1996? That was pretty cool but nowhere near as robust and fun as the Demolition Derby mode in SR2. Or Midtown Madness. Heli Assault mode is such a blast they could build it into a stand alone title.

GTA IV was a lot of fun but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth, especially after the brutally unforgiving checkpointless final mission. So far this game is doing a much better job of being just plain fun rather than strict or unforgiving. Even the writing and cutscenes are well done, at least when they stick to the comic side of things. Some of them are pointlessly grim.

Anyway, I love this game. It's genius.

While I agree with you that this game is just right of fantastic. Im feeling more and more like Im saying something sacrilegious to say that this game is more fun than GTA 4.

Well, it is. GTA is a technical MARVEL. One of the most technically amazing games I have ever played. I enjoyed the story and everyone was who played talked about which path they chose in the story line and why.

While this story is somewhat competent, no one will be talking about the story line. They will be talking about how much damn fun they had running around the world getting  lost in the diversions.

Saints Row 1 diversions were dreadful; I had no desire to go on with the story line because I did not want to do any more of those stupid diversions. Whereas, these diversions in many ways are BETTER than the missions.

I have so many games sitting in my gaming chest at the moment, and I have more to purchase, DEAD SPACE, FABLE 2, FAR CRY 2.  I have several games that I have not even picked up to play WARHEAD for instance, I wanted to finish TR: Anniversary before the new tomb raider comes out. They are all getting ignored as I gleefully run through Saints Row 2 creating havoc.

I will not lie, I was going to TOTALLY pass on this title, Morton talked me into it. And I thank him

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2008, 02:38:00 AM »

Man, I can't wait until this releases on PC, but in a way I guess I am glad that it doesn't have to compete with Fable 2 and Far Cry 2 for my free time right now.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

still loving the game,i am on 30%(10hrs.30minutes)

i have done the fight clubs and the septic avengers,been taking out the strongholds of the Ronin..i like it how you dont have to go do the missions straight away,take your time and do things your way

got some cool tatoos now,and a nice purple vest to show them off

half way through the Ronin missions
Spoiler for Hiden:
the samurai showdown was great stuff

one thing puzzles me is that i have it on normal difficulty and i havent really found anything hard yet...not that that really pisses me off or anything,as it prolly contributes to the fact that i keep coming back to it,instead of throwing the controller half way across the room,and coming back to it when i am bored

and i have said it before and i will say it again i knwo the driving isnt as 'realistic' as GTA4,but it is much more fun

a friend has just told me about the flame thrower in the zombie attack video game that you play at your crib,he says to get somewhere high and the zombies just start to fall...easy way to complete the game he says,so i will be trying that tonight

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 23, 2008, 05:06:25 PM

one thing puzzles me is that i have it on normal difficulty and i havent really found anything hard yet...

I think there were a total ofabout 3 missions that really pissed me off and had me retrying repeatedly. Damned if I can remember any of them at the moment. A Ronin mission where you were supposed to take a waverunner while a helicopter bombed you pissed me off a lot as I recall, but I worked it out. A defense missions with the moster truck guys pissed me off and that's where I finally remembered that I had healing food. In fact most of my frustrating moments would have been less frustrating if I had realized earlier the value of food.

Overall the game is pretty easy on normal and I'm ok with that.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »

I'm having a hard time with the mission where you have yo kill veteran child everytime I throw the flashbang it only seems to stun him for about  3 seconds them hes right back behind shaundi again I can't seem to get a clean shot on him any hints?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on October 23, 2008, 11:46:55 PM

I'm having a hard time with the mission where you have yo kill veteran child everytime I throw the flashbang it only seems to stun him for about  3 seconds them hes right back behind shaundi again I can't seem to get a clean shot on him any hints?

This took a couple of tries, you just have to get a pattern going. Flash, run out, shoot, run to flash, repeat. It takes a little while. I also found that an assault rifle or the smg helps.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2008, 06:04:38 AM »

okay just WOW

finished the Ronin missions last night(the only missions i have done up to now,not really started any other factor)

first of at the cemetary
Spoiler for Hiden:
Aishia's funeral

when Johnny Gat defeats the son of the Ronin ganglord and kick the shit outa him and tip Aishia out of her coffin to put this 'kid' in there...it was just pure excellence...i just thought,NICE

Johnny Gat is great...that bastard better not die on me or double cross me by the end of the game(as i remember the first game)..as he is a cool character

then the last mission of the Ronins
Spoiler for Hiden:
having the Samurai showdown with the boss of the Ronin...you have to wait until the VERY last second to counter him and then you can land damage onto him

the end when he rang up his friend Wong so that his friend could hear the Ronin boss scream as he turned the samurai that was wedged in his back was damn good movie stuff as well

i'm loving this game

12 hrs in...35%

not a fan of crowd control....thats prolly the hardest thing in the game after level 3

what else have i done?

oh yeah i finished the zombie game on your video console in your crib,i just stayed on this balcony and let them all come to you,occasionally a little zombie runs towards you,if you shoot that one,it explodes taking countless other zombies with you(and i ignored the plees of my friends who needed to be revived)...conserve your ammo and go for headshots ...you get a zombie mask when you finish it,and an achievement

ho-hoing...not really sure what it was all about(well.yeah i was...but,just seemed a bit pointless),but i finished level 10 and got myself a pimp suit

not sure how much time i will get with this over the weekend,as Fable 2 is just 3 short hours away
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:06:16 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

I beat all 3 gang factions now and started into the final Ultor missions.

Honestly, i've almost ignored the side missions except to gain respect for the main storyline because the damn storyline and cutscenes and acting etc is just SO DAMN GOOD.   I couldn't wait to advance the plot ever single time.

This game is everything...funny and sad, serious and hilarious, over the top fast paced and sometimes it just slows right down to an "aw FUCK" I can't believe i just had to do that to/for a friend moment you feel like shit.  I felt like i just got done watching an awesome animated gang movie...though i still have one or two ultor missions to go.

I'll probably go back in and do some side missions for fun after i'm done, but seriously, the storyline and cutscenes in this game were so compelling i couldn't pull myself away from em.

GoTY for story/acting/cutscenes IMHO.

On the gameplay front...same great gameplay as the 1st one in general with some improvements for sure.  I havn't encountered any of the  bugs folks have mentioned to my experience has been pretty pristine...no lockups, no bodies stuck in vehicles...nothing..no bugs encountered.  Not even a noticable framerate drop...anywhere.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on October 22, 2008, 12:43:20 PM

Well, it is. GTA is a technical MARVEL. One of the most technically amazing games I have ever played. I enjoyed the story and everyone was who played talked about which path they chose in the story line and why.

While this story is somewhat competent, no one will be talking about the story line. They will be talking about how much damn fun they had running around the world getting  lost in the diversions.

Saints Row 1 diversions were dreadful; I had no desire to go on with the story line because I did not want to do any more of those stupid diversions. Whereas, these diversions in many ways are BETTER than the missions.

Lol, well i read back up the thread some after making my post...I think, obviously, you're wrong...as there's now two posts towards the end of the thread praising the story element in SR2.

With GTAIV, i sold the game back after I hit about 51%...this was actually pretty high for me on a GTA game lately...i buy em all and try to love em and we get along for a while then it gets just boring as HELL for me and i burn out halfway through feeling like every mission is more drudgery.

I havn't felt the story be compelling in GTA since...well i can't remember being compelled by it.

Saints Row 1 i found good enough that i enjoyed finishing the game.  May be the first open world game i ever finished!

Saints Row 2, I found FUCKING AWSOME.  I actually get a real kick out of going back to the crib now and rewatching the cutscenes...it's like a movie...reliving the missions and watching the cutscenes.  Reading the newspaper clippings on your adventures and having the ability to replay em is cool too.

Saints Row 2...drew me in, hooked me on the story, and made me fall in love with it from the moment i got out of jail all the way to the ending.  Hooked.

SR2 GOTY for story in my book...and GTAIV...sorry to say i can't remember a damn thing about the story anymore except it was something about a russian guy in liberty city and a dumb chick i was constantly trying to impress...i remember a bad bowling experience and a nightmare poolhall date...and that's all i can remember of it except our multiplayer races which far exclipsed the single player game for me.

I'll be showing friends the cutscenes from SR2 on my big screen and talking about the storyline at least until we get SR3.  This shit is the BOMB.

I can't help but wonder how the feeling in the storyline is impacted by your choice of character though..male or female, fat and ugly or fit or and sexy, dumbass hippy or modern gangbanger.

Gonna have to video a couple of the better cuscenes with my character tonight and try to upload em to my pc and post em...i'm fuckin clueless with video editing though so this may take a few days to figure out in the slightest.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:30:17 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on October 18, 2008, 11:54:39 PM

I think the aircraft controls and physics are easier in SR2 than GTAIV. The heli assault activities are cool, like flying chopper cover over convoys.

I just noticed that when I grabbed a scooter, my gang guy grabbed another car so he could follow me. Smart fellow!

Using this tactic can be damned fun with multiple cycles.  At least one of the Ronin bikes was apparently only a single seat bike and I ended up with 4 of them...each of my followers had their own bike.  Turned the saints into a biker gang for a while there...roaming in a pack:)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »

OMG, Zero Punctuation LIKED Saints Row 2!

I suck at video capture, so just mentally enjoy the tiny bit of film where Yahtzee calls SR2 better than GTAIV. I agree.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on October 30, 2008, 10:53:27 AM

OMG, Zero Punctuation LIKED Saints Row 2!

I suck at video capture, so just mentally enjoy the tiny bit of film where Yahtzee calls SR2 better than GTAIV. I agree.

Beat me to it. 

I totally agree.  I enjoyed the grey action figure of Niko with phoning cousin action.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2008, 05:14:30 AM »

Just beat the rest of the storyline tonight.  Fable had drawn me away before i beat most of the ultor missions.  I did the last 5 tonight and damn it was good.

Definitely tops my list of storytelling in a game for the games i've played in a long time.  Beats the shit out of Fable 2's story, that's for sure.  I'm almost done with fable 2 now and i've had zero of these "holy shit, that's good, and funny as hell" moments that SR2 is full of.  I get feeling in SR2...call me insane, i might be, and i get no feeling in Fable 2 other than...oh cool...i got an achievement for having a 4 person orgy and used a condom so i didn't get an STD.

Then i loaded Fable 2 back up and realized i'm already to the final part of the story and if i progress i'm done...according to the announcer...which is just sad cause i felt like it was just getting going....BARELY.

SR2 built slow, then got hot and utterly awesome.  Then climaxed in a way that Fable 2 sex sound effects can't even dream of.

Fable 2 and Farcry 2 = trade in material.  SR2 = keeper.  Now i can do whatever the fuck i want. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:16:52 AM by Fuzzballx » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »

yeah i have been drawn away from saints row 2 with Fable 2 and Fallout 3

the thing is with saints row,i have finished the Ronin missions and havent even started the others yet,so i am treating it like 3 (4 if you count Ultor)mini stories..i have done one,and when i get back to it,it wont matter that it maybe a while,as i doing the other factions will feel fresh

definetly going to get back to it,i have been loving it..Fable 2 is done now,and went towards contributeing to Fallout 3

as you said,Saints row 2 is a keeper

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »

I was just playing along when an achievement popped up: Soprano.  I wasn't really doing anything, but was on my way to a hit on a motorcycle, which I thought might be related.  I pulled up the dash and saw this description: "Sung along to the radio."  Sure enough, when I got back into the game, my girl was singing along to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."  Badly.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2008, 06:56:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 03, 2008, 02:45:50 PM

I was just playing along when an achievement popped up: Soprano.  I wasn't really doing anything, but was on my way to a hit on a motorcycle, which I thought might be related.  I pulled up the dash and saw this description: "Sung along to the radio."  Sure enough, when I got back into the game, my girl was singing along to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."  Badly.
\
that's fricking hilarious.  i haven't even looked at the ach lists for sr2. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »

finished this last week,great game...didnt do all the activities though

i think the surfing on the car for 3 stars was the easiest achievement

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:03 AM »

okay,this maybe a little late for me...as i said the game was a keeper..well i lied and traded it when i finished with it

3 lots of DLC is coming out for this,the first pack is explained here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/saints-row-getting-three-dlc-packs

Volition has revealed that it is working on three downloadable content packs for Saints Row 2, the first of which, Ultor Exposed, is due out on 16th April for PS3 and Xbox 360.

"Ultor Exposed is the first of three DLC packages that will be made available for Saints Row 2," DLC producer James Torbit told Eurogamer in an exclusive Ultor Exposed interview today.

"I'll get my brake lines cut if I reveal any details [on the other two], but rest assured that we're hard at work building on the Saints Row 2 experience."

Ultor Exposed consists of three new missions, available any time after the original prologue, and features porn star Tera Patrick as a homie who can join you in the battle to expose the dodgy Ultor corporation.

It will be priced at 800 Microsoft Points (GBP 6.80 / EUR 9.60) on Xbox 360 and GBP 7.99 on PlayStation Network.

The pack also includes a new "competitive co-op" diversion, where players gain points by killing gang members, blowing things up and the like, along with six new vehicles, two new maps and extra customisation options.

There are also five new Achievements to unlock worth 125 gamerpoints on Xbox Live, covering a range of objectives.

shame this didnt come sooner,i did love the game and would of been up for this/these

as i said on the Eurogamer site,800 points i think maybe a little too much as i reckon these missions arent Fallout 3 size DLC(which is also 800 points)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:28:44 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

I never finished more than half the game last year due to the October flood of new stuff. I keep telling myself I'm going to sit down and finally finish at least all the mainline missions. Maybe new DLC will motivate me.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »

[MajelBarrett]Previously on "Autistic Angel posts impressions of a game that everyone who cares has already finished:"
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Lego Star Wars
Spiderman: Web of Shadows
Grand Theft Auto IV

...And now the continuation....[/MajelBarrett]

To be blunt, Saints Row 2 made a terrible first impression on me.  I wasn't sure I'd bother to play anything past the initial prologue missions.  Coming so directly out of Liberty City where everything felt sober and weighty, Stilwater felt silly, diffuse, and frivolous in a pretty low budget way.  The car handling is wonky and loose, the character animation is stiff, and the framerate is absolutely atrocious, frequently dipping into the teens and lower. disgust

It's only after I pushed a little deeper that I realized, for a pretty mediocre game, SR 2 was packed with a lot of love.  I don't just mean the drippy hookers you chauffeur around town, either: the storyline and mission goals are steeped in such enthusiastic absurdity, the designers' sheer force of will makes the whole package more entertaining.

One of the new Activities is "Crowd Control" where your job is to keep a celebrity from being harassed by devoted fans who express their adoration with sledgehammers and automatic weapons fire.  In "Hot Fuzz," one of your assignments is to break up a college prank by some mischievous frat boys that are hacking up pedestrians with chainsaws.  My character celebrated "Fight Club" victories by doing a wicked Michael Jackson impersonation, returning to the car, and singing along to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears...despite not knowing any of the words.

The list of lunacies go on and on, and just when you think they're becoming commonplace, you'll reach a point in the story missions where things suddenly get really personal and a tongue-in-cheek farce about brightly colored gang warfare suddenly turns into a seething revenge story.  It's not so much out of place as it is surprising: halfway through the Brotherhood missions, I actually wondered aloud, "Wow, when did this game decide it wanted to be serious?"  I suppose the developers thought their story needed some emotional punch to be more interesting, and since I honestly can't remember one single thing about the throwaway plot in the original Saints Row, they're probably right.

GTA 4 has SR 2 beat hands-down when it comes to dialogue, storyline, and environments, but one area where it was really lacking was in rewarding players for completing optional objectives.  That's where SR 2 really shines: every Activity in the game has six progressively challenging levels, and your character unlocks a permanent reward at the end *and* at the half-way point.  Most of them are really valuable, too; I can't tell you how many times things like tireless sprinting, damage reduction, and unlimited SMG ammo saved my life in the later missions of the game. nod

I found SR 2 to be half the game that GTA 4 was.  I mean that literally: it took me just under 60 hours to do everything I wanted to in Liberty City (83.83%), but just a touch under 30 hours to finish up all my goals in Stilwater (94%).  That includes every level of every Activity except Hitman, Chop Shop, and probably more than half of the races.  I also found a little less than half of the tag spots in the city, and fewer than 10 of the 50 CDs.  Really not a fan of scavenger hunts....

Now on to something new. ninja

-Autistic Angel
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2009, 09:10:21 PM »

Good god, you just really don't get it.

IF your tastes run towards the boring and predictable, great....go for it.

SR2 is a far better game than you made it out to be...and crushes GTA IV in terms of FUN story, FUN gameplay, FUN and FUNNY Dialogue, and just general over the top FUN.

SR2 isn't meant for people who enjoy taking digital women on bowling and billiards dates.  It's designed for gamers who just want over the top fun...in every way.

It couldn't have been better made to accomplish that goal.

I still constantly go back to this game to replay missions and watch cutscenes with friends...it's so over the top fun and hilarious with just the right amount of over the top seriousness thrown in that you can just love it all the way through.

GTA4 fanboy whores...get out! out!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2009, 01:32:46 AM »

Well, I think my post needed a closing paragraph talking about how my terrible first impression softened as I played further into the game, and I had a good time with the Activities and many of the missions.  I thought that was more clear when I talked about spending thirty hours completing so much of the optional stuff, but I was a little rushed at the time and as I read it through now, it reads as more negative than I'd intended.

On the other hand, the technical issues actually became more problematic as I played.  The framerate dips in Tomb Raider: Legend and Spiderman: Web of Shadows never came close to interfering with the gameplay for me, but the hitches in Saints Row 2 led to a handful of unfair deaths when I was unable to respond properly to incoming gunfire.  It's also the most crash-prone 360 game I've played so far which required me to replay a few missions from scratch whenever the game would freeze up.

(It isn't a problem with my console either: Midnight Club: Los Angeles, darkSector, and Burnout: Paradise have all been played in the same time period and never gave me a problem.)

Quote from: Fuzzballx on April 09, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

GTA4 fanboy whores...get out! out!

I think completing the story lines and majority of optional goals in both games gives me good standing to talk about which one I preferred.

-Autistic Angel
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

Ultor Exposed DLC is now available on XBL, but so far no mention on Major Nelson

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 23, 2009, 07:26:11 PM

Ultor Exposed DLC is now available on XBL, but so far no mention on Major Nelson

The new vehicles are great.  So far, I've tried out the gun-mounted humvee, the racing car and the A-10.  The A-10 is basically the jet version of the attack helicopter.  I tried to ride the three wheeler, but my character wouldn't get on it for some reason.  I haven't tried the missions or the new clothes yet, so I can't comment on them.

I didn't notice anything that different, but it did seem to me like the police might be a little more aggressive than before. 

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:20 PM »

The reverse three wheeler is a lot of fun! Drives as oddly as you might imagine but in a good way  icon_biggrin

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 23, 2009, 09:40:20 PM

The reverse three wheeler is a lot of fun! Drives as oddly as you might imagine but in a good way  icon_biggrin

It seems like the humvee is a scout vehicle from the new red faction game (which volition is also making).  It has a missile launcher on top that fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.   I finally got to use the three-wheeler.  It works just like a motorcycle, only its a lot more stable.  The new vulture helicopter is basically the same as the medical copter but it has missiles and a minigun.  Overall, the new vehicles are great. 

I also liked the play on the GTA 4 DLC with the new motorcycle gang that is all over the city.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:38:10 PM by dangerballs » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »

Is this content something that would enhance the game if you haven't finished it yet?  I heard there were some new missions but if I can't access them as I play normally it's probably not worth it to me.  Though the vehicles sound pretty cool.

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »

The new vehicles you get in your garage right away.  The clothes you can buy when ever you want.  You will have to play the game all the way to the end in order to get the new missions.  There are some multiplayer maps, too, but I haven't tried those.

There are 3 new missions in the DLC, they are pretty well done, but it goes by really fast.  I beat them in about an hour.  Tera Patrick as a homie is cool.

The cool part of the new DLC is the new coop mode.  Competitive coop is great; it plays like normal coop, but adds in a high score mechanism.  If you like to play it coop, this is a great download.  If you want it just for the new missions, I would probably recommend against it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2009, 12:14:58 PM »

Quote from: dangerballs on April 24, 2009, 01:07:33 AM

The new vehicles you get in your garage right away.  The clothes you can buy when ever you want.  You will have to play the game all the way to the end in order to get the new missions.  There are some multiplayer maps, too, but I haven't tried those.

There are 3 new missions in the DLC, they are pretty well done, but it goes by really fast.  I beat them in about an hour.  Tera Patrick as a homie is cool.

The cool part of the new DLC is the new coop mode.  Competitive coop is great; it plays like normal coop, but adds in a high score mechanism.  If you like to play it coop, this is a great download.  If you want it just for the new missions, I would probably recommend against it.

I thought I remembered hearing that the missions would be available any time in your game, not just after you finished.  Bummer that there are only 3 of them, though.

onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2009, 09:20:23 PM »

Is the campaign playable coop networked?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2009, 05:43:18 AM »

Been playing this over the past week.  I made a stocky, butch-looking tranny with bright red lipstick, a square jaw, and long red hair who runs around in pink hotpants and high heels, and talks in the gruff male British voice.  It's pretty hilarious.

I'm finding it pretty amusing, though it's a bit disjointed (as I suppose all sandbox games are).  I think that the main thing is that you pretty much get dropped into the massive city with a map overflowing with possible things to do, and a bit of a lack of direction.  I'm doing all kinds of things, but have no real idea why I'm doing them, and the vignettes that lead up to them don't make much sense in context.  For example, I'll start one and the dialogue indicates that I was contacted, except that I wasn't. 

Still, the activities, dialogue, and everything else about the game is so over the top absurd that you can't really take anything too seriously.  I mean, while impersonating a cop on the in-game version of Cops, I was tasked with breaking up the polygamist fight, and oh, why don't you do it with this chainsaw!  I think I'd be more positive if I hadn't just spent an hour beating my head against one of the Snatch missions (those bastards are hard, and there are way too many ways to lose) before realizing that there was no real reason for me to be doing it.

I don't know that I'm going to finish it, but it'll probably be one that I poke away at off and on.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 02, 2009, 05:43:18 AM

Been playing this over the past week.  I made a stocky, butch-looking tranny with bright red lipstick, a square jaw, and long red hair who runs around in pink hotpants and high heels, and talks in the gruff male British voice.  It's pretty hilarious.

I'm finding it pretty amusing, though it's a bit disjointed (as I suppose all sandbox games are).  I think that the main thing is that you pretty much get dropped into the massive city with a map overflowing with possible things to do, and a bit of a lack of direction.  I'm doing all kinds of things, but have no real idea why I'm doing them, and the vignettes that lead up to them don't make much sense in context.  For example, I'll start one and the dialogue indicates that I was contacted, except that I wasn't. 

Still, the activities, dialogue, and everything else about the game is so over the top absurd that you can't really take anything too seriously.  I mean, while impersonating a cop on the in-game version of Cops, I was tasked with breaking up the polygamist fight, and oh, why don't you do it with this chainsaw!  I think I'd be more positive if I hadn't just spent an hour beating my head against one of the Snatch missions (those bastards are hard, and there are way too many ways to lose) before realizing that there was no real reason for me to be doing it.

I don't know that I'm going to finish it, but it'll probably be one that I poke away at off and on.

A lot of those side missions give some really great benefits if you finish all of them on the board.  Completing Snatch gives you infinite SMG ammo, IIRC.  You can also get better armor, sprint and health regens.  And you can increase the speed at which gangs and police stop caring about you.  There's all kinds of stuff.  Some of 'em are crap, of course, but it was worth it for me to clear almost all of them out.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2009, 05:55:19 PM »

Aw hell, I hate you.  I was all set to ditch Snatch.  Infinite SMG ammo makes it worth doing those last levels.  I think I'll just need to find a better gun.

I have gotten some of the rewards from topping out other missions.  I got some cars for finishing the demolition derby, I think, and I remember something making the Rastas lose interest in me faster.  If I finish, say, one Septic Avenger spot and get a prize, if I go do a different Septic Avenger spot, do I get a different prize, or is it one prize for all the spots of that type?

It kind of bugs me that the game leaves you to figure out so much on your own.  I still don't know what the little multiplier on my respect meter means, but I know I'm at 27x of something.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 02, 2009, 05:55:19 PM

I still don't know what the little multiplier on my respect meter means, but I know I'm at 27x of something.

That means your respect meter has been filled 27 times.  You need to build up a certain amount of respect to do story missions, and each one of those you do brings your meter back down a bit.  I think that is explained early in the game.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:00:11 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 02, 2009, 05:55:19 PM

If I finish, say, one Septic Avenger spot and get a prize, if I go do a different Septic Avenger spot, do I get a different prize, or is it one prize for all the spots of that type?

The rewards are different at each location, so completing three levels of Septic Avenger in one spot will yield a different perk than it would someplace else.  Rewards are unlocked after the third and sixth level of each Activity, and for every lame one ("15% Clothing Discount"), there's probably two others that are extremely valuable ("Infinite Sprint," "15% Reduced Bullet Damage").

The more activities you complete, the easier time you'll have in many of the late-game missions.  The only exception that comes to mind are the Fight Clubs which I found nearly impossible after the fourth level until I unlocked the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ronin fighting style by completing all their story missions.

Also, I think the recent game update rebalanced many of the Activities to make them easier to accomplish outside of co-op.  Later levels of Snatch, Trail Blazer, and Escort originally seemed impossible, but after that patch, they suddenly seemed a lot more manageable.  Definitely make sure you connect to X-Box Live! to grab that patch! icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »

Yeah, I got a patch when I first booted up.  Good to hear that they made things doable solo.  As someone who rarely if ever plays anything multiplayer, it annoys the hell out of me when the main campaign is balanced for co-op (the challenges in Mercenaries 2 did this too).  Though I still say the last few levels of Snatch are balls.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »

Most of the activities have 2 sets spread across town.  If you complete one set, you get one reward, if you do the other, you get a different one.  It's when you do both that you get the good stuff.  Often, it's an upgrade to the previous rewards.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: