http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:18:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints Row 2 starting a war with GTA 4?  (Read 1405 times)
Fuzzballx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »

IGN story caught my interest while browsing today: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/880/880861p1.html

Witness the imbedded comercial video for Saints 4 which makes GTA IV come across like a brain dead pussy and Saints Row like it's supposed to be the "real" GTA.

I thought it was funny...till i realized how bored i got at about 52% in GTA 4 and that i havn't started it up in weeks and am planning to trade it in for GRID...

Then i realized it was true cause Saints Row is the only open world GTA esque game i've ever actually completed...i've stopped playing every single GTA game at or below 60% complete due to fucked up missions on rails that were frustrating as hell or just due to general boring repetativeness and insanely ungratifying and almost "work like" missions such as having to take a girl out to play fucking bowling in order to advance the story and have sex with the chick in game when i dont even get to see the good part...

God damn i'm bored to tears of GTA4.  BRING ON SAINTS ROW 2!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:09:31 PM »

That's a pretty awesome commercial. Of course I have no experience in GTA4...
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »

To be honest, I found that commercial horribly annoying.  "We're Extreme 2 The MaX!!!!Roxxor!!!" was an terribly stupid selling point the first time it was tried back in the 80's and it gets dumber every year since it's been beat to death.  However, they scored a direct hit with all the crap taken out of GTA4 that fanboi's try to pretend never existed - Yes, as a matter of fact, I LOVED stealing the fire truck, and the ambulance, and the Taxi...you get the idea.  It would be great if SR2 becomes an comparable contender against GTA - competition only means the developers try harder to make a better game (See "Rock Band").

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:29 PM »

I had a blast with the first Saint's Row.  It was pretty much a polished clone of GTA, but for me more of the same was a good thing.  I'll be picking up SR2, but likely still keep my copy of GTA IV.

16-bit and loving it!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on June 12, 2008, 10:44:47 PM

To be honest, I found that commercial horribly annoying.  "We're Extreme 2 The MaX!!!!Roxxor!!!" was an terribly stupid selling point the first time it was tried back in the 80's and it gets dumber every year since it's been beat to death.  However, they scored a direct hit with all the crap taken out of GTA4 that fanboi's try to pretend never existed - Yes, as a matter of fact, I LOVED stealing the fire truck, and the ambulance, and the Taxi...you get the idea.  It would be great if SR2 becomes an comparable contender against GTA - competition only means the developers try harder to make a better game (See "Rock Band").

But...but...that does roxxor.

I think they're doing the right thing with this ad.

I just hope the story is good for Saints Row 2. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »

I'd better be able to recreate my overweigh, underwear clad green afro'd avatar in this one.   Afte that commercial I'm definitely in.  360 version of course.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2008, 12:31:26 AM

I'd better be able to recreate my overweigh, underwear clad green afro'd avatar in this one.   Afte that commercial I'm definitely in.  360 version of course.

I look forward to teaming up and pimp slapping ho's with your green fro slywink

I think the commercial is awesome and just displays what GTA could have been if they hadn't missed the mark and squandered away their own ideas.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

IN!

I did not finish SR1 and have finished all the GTA's (after 3 and only on Xbox  paranoid), but SR2 looks like it has what I 'really' want out of an open world game. Lots of stuff to do.

LiveTAG: happydog
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »

I must say Saints Row earned all the rights to go toe to toe with GTA in my book.  They cloned GTA and add some extras that can be seen in GTA:IV getting drunk, get thrown through the wind shield, targeting system, and many others. Oh lets not forget the graphics. The most disappointing part of Saints Row was the game actually ended. If feel these two game will have a great impact on the future of gaming.   

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »

In!  I  really enjoyed Saints Row and have thus far passed on GTAIV.  At this point I'm thinking I will just wait a few more months for SR2.  Going along with the fact that they seem to view themselves as a GTA parody in the first place I go the commercial.  Although I still don't really care for that style of advertising tactic.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:56:32 PM by Jancelot » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 02:31:13 AM »

OK, so I picked up the first Saints Row again since last time I had it I traded it off due to having too many games to play, and I have to say I hope they seriously tighten up the controls.  a targeting and cover system like GTA IV would be a nice start (unless they are in there and I can't figure out how to use them due to having no instructions).

oh, and I still have my XBL character!

sweet.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »

If you took GTA4, but changed it so you were on the side of the cops, cracking down on the drug dealers, that would be cool.

Even moreso, if you were not just a cop - but a supercop - with like, super high jumping abilities, and driving skills, and the like - that would be great.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on July 21, 2008, 03:06:56 PM

If you took GTA4, but changed it so you were on the side of the cops, cracking down on the drug dealers, that would be cool.

Even moreso, if you were not just a cop - but a supercop - with like, super high jumping abilities, and driving skills, and the like - that would be great.

Isn't ithere game called Crackdown for XBOX360?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on July 21, 2008, 03:11:22 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on July 21, 2008, 03:06:56 PM

Isn't ithere game called Crackdown for XBOX360?

I think that was hinted at  icon_wink

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

i am looking forward to Saints row 2,i loved the first one..although i loved GTA4 as well,and crackdown,i just love sandbox games in general....

saints row had a few good ideas in it though,the phone for one,and i loved it how the guy called me 'player'..because thats what i am(as in a video gameplayer,not a 'mean mofo smack yer bitch up' type player)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: