http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:46:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddle up! The Red Dead Redemption impressions thread.  (Read 46712 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: August 13, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »

i see the reaction daehawk has as a confirmation that game storylines can be just as moving as movies and books. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
i went into that scene with a heavy sense of foreboding and thought it was appropriately written.  it also makes the last scene more powerful.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 13, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 13, 2010, 02:58:44 PM

Daehawk, it's not quite over. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
You need to head back into Blackwater, I believe.

si.  what Izzy said...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 13, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »

I rode back to town but didn't see anything. im in the saloon sleeping so I'll recheck it. thanks!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »

Alright,  I am going to finally finish tie game over 'the weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 13, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 13, 2010, 06:43:04 PM

I rode back to town but didn't see anything. im in the saloon sleeping so I'll recheck it. thanks!

You went back to

Spoiler for Hiden:
Blackwater?  Go to the gazebo by the train station.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 13, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
IIRC, look for a Stranger, not a mission icon

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 13, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 13, 2010, 02:50:48 PM

I just finished it. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way they let me play as i want the whole game then take away any control at the end SUCKS. I hate them.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why ?????????? I could have killed the whole bunch of them. I could have riden off with my wife and child and started over. Why didn't they let me kill those backstabbing bastards!????? Theres nothing more in the whole game that i wanted to do was go kill those two shits that made me do everything. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF,. &*(^%*&%&*%&((%^$$#@$#%@!@@$%#%@@#$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATE THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that it???? John dies and all I can do is ride around and do nothing as his son??? LAME. Let me hunt those shits down and KILL them!!! Geezus Im so pissed now. Horrible story ending. it's unresolved till I kill them. John should live. BULLSHIT on Rockstar. Up their's.

Post-ending pre-credits spoilers

Spoiler for Hiden:
John was in it for his family, first and foremost. He could've run to fight another day, but he wanted a clean slate for his wife and kid. If he survived that encounter, they just would've sent a bigger army the next time. It wouldn't end until John fell, so he let himself fall for the sake of his family. All he can do is hope his son stays on a clean path instead of becoming another John.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 14, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »

Ok I went back and found that guy and did the path to the end this time. Doh. Felt good smile Thanks! Sad the ride is over.Been playing that and only that on the 360 for months. Now im not sure what im going to play next.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Kinda sad that Jack is all alone in the world now. Maybe Bonnie could help watch out for him. And they made him look a lot like his dad. Really grew up in those 3 years since John was killed.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 14, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »

stupid car.  I don't wanna ride in the car!

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 14, 2010, 06:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 13, 2010, 02:50:48 PM

I just finished it. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way they let me play as i want the whole game then take away any control at the end SUCKS. I hate them.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why ?????????? I could have killed the whole bunch of them. I could have riden off with my wife and child and started over. Why didn't they let me kill those backstabbing bastards!????? Theres nothing more in the whole game that i wanted to do was go kill those two shits that made me do everything. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF,. &*(^%*&%&*%&((%^$$#@$#%@!@@$%#%@@#$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATE THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that it???? John dies and all I can do is ride around and do nothing as his son??? LAME. Let me hunt those shits down and KILL them!!! Geezus Im so pissed now. Horrible story ending. it's unresolved till I kill them. John should live. BULLSHIT on Rockstar. Up their's.

Because just like in a John Woo movie, there is no true redemption.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 17, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »

this might actually get me interested to play again. 

they are going after the hardcore cheaters.  no more level 50 fully prestiged players with not other achievements to their name riding around and F'ing with you in free roam. 

took you guys long enough. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 17, 2010, 08:32:17 PM

this might actually get me interested to play again. 

they are going after the hardcore cheaters.  no more level 50 fully prestiged players with not other achievements to their name riding around and F'ing with you in free roam. 

took you guys long enough. 

Yep, cheating when there is advancement in an online game is what makes me stop playing it.  I loved Diablo and Diablo 2, but once the hacks came out, I shelved both games after single player.

I'll wait to see what they do with these guys and then see about checking out online again for RDR.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 29, 2010, 03:58:18 AM »

Well this ended up being the first Rock Star game I ever finished. I thought it was a lot of fun, but after a while I got kind of sick of riding around everywhere, and started focusing on the main quest (and skipping travel a lot). After the "dutch" part of the game, I thought things were pretty dull until the very end, and then when the ending came, while I was surprised I really didn't enjoy it much.

Still, all that complaining aside, overall a thumbs up from me.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 05, 2010, 04:45:58 AM »

Well, from hearing that the ending to this is worth seeing, I decided I was going to actually finish it, even though I haven't been particularly enjoying it.  I got to the last mission in Mexico.  The game has now glitched or otherwise screwed up three different times on it.  First of all, I have no idea what's going on when you start that one.  The first time:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I set a waypoint on the R symbol and fast traveled there to avoid having to cross the entire map.  After the fast travel load, I see myself dismount my horse, loading screen, then immediately start in on a duel with some guy and whatsisface is tied up.  No idea why.  Lose that duel twice, then finally win, and get to the point where you blow up the gate.  I do that and am taking down soldiers when the game locks up.  Reboot.

Now I ride into town manually, and see that there's supposed to be a cutscene leading into the duel.  Oh.  Still have no idea why whatsisface is tied up, but oh well.  Get through the whole mission and to the scene at the end where you have to shoot Bill.  I let the dialog spool out, and eventually whatsisface shoots the general and I instinctively shoot Bill.  Then the game just sits there.  I can move the camera, pause, and bring up the guide, but it's not progressing.  Let it sit for five minutes, and then give up.

I'm just done now.  This isn't the first time I've had technical and general design problems with this game.  They built a fantastic world to run around in.  I just think they put a lousy game on top of it. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 16, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »

so, Liars and Cheats is out next week, and it adds new stuff to free roam.  too bad it seems pretty much everyone has moved on at this point.

Because I can,
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: September 16, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

I haven't tried any of the DLC that's come out for this game. The SP campaign satiated me enough.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: September 24, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

double XP in MP this weekend.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »

the Undead pack is out tomorrow.  I'm kinda tempted to grab it since it has a single player adventure included.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 26, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »

Dont! If you buy it, the terrorists win!

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »

GamesRadar loved it:

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 26, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 26, 2010, 07:14:10 AM

Dont! If you buy it, the terrorists win!

They've already won, you just don't know it.  I think I may grab this tonight since it's Halloween week,i I'll put up impressions here.

I'm assuming I don't have to finish the main story first. If I do then it might be awhile longer.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 26, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »

Okay, read the review in the other thread...and while I think its a horrible idea, it actually sounds pretty damn awesome!

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »

I have been playing this for a the last couple of days, and it's pretty damned impressive.  I made the massive mistake of firing like crazy in the first town and ran out of bullets almost immediately (I forgot about releasing the aim trigger in between shots).  There isn't a lot of ammo to be found around town (zombies have little amounts), so I was scrambling around lassoing and hogtieing anyonething who came close to me.  Insanity.  Early on you get a weapon that should help, though, so don't wander so much in the beginning.

I just saw that IGN gave this a "Masterful" 10/10!

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 28, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »

Bastards....!

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 28, 2010, 07:50:45 AM

Bastards....!

Furthering the terrorist victory, Eurogamer's 8/10 review says this:

This is, frankly, how DLC should be done. Persistent and minor issues with the game engine aside, Undead Nightmare offers a generous amount of polished AAA-grade new material and finally gives fans of the single-player game a compelling reason to dust off their spurs and head back to the ranch.

Also, this game is filled with cool little suprises.  Here are two, non-plot spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
If your horse dies (mine was killed by a zombie cougar), and you wait a bit then whistle, you'll get a fantastic looking undead horse.  It's tougher and faster, but harder to control.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sasquatch!  Six of 'em, to be exact.  It's a nice, quick little subplot, actually.  At the end of it you get the "Six Years in the Making" achievement.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 28, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »

The game has gotten insanely good reviews, and word of mouth is pretty awesome as well

Guess I'll cave this weekend :-)

A new one
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 28, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »

Zombies and the old west? I'm in. I downloaded the Undead Nightmare DLC last night and could tell right away it was going to be deliciously fun.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 28, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »

I'll probably cave too. This sounds like the perfect Halloween gaming.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 28, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 28, 2010, 02:59:41 AM

I have been playing this for a the last couple of days, and it's pretty damned impressive.  I made the massive mistake of firing like crazy in the first town and ran out of bullets almost immediately (I forgot about releasing the aim trigger in between shots).  There isn't a lot of ammo to be found around town (zombies have little amounts), so I was scrambling around lassoing and hogtieing anyonething who came close to me.  Insanity.  Early on you get a weapon that should help, though, so don't wander so much in the beginning.

The day this was released developers of the DLC were on a local radio program and the conversation sounded so positive that it made me want to pick up the game, which I haven't played, just for the new content.  It sounds like it is almost an entirely new game, making it kind of a two-for-one deal.

Something I heard about on the radio that should help in terms of weapons and limited ammo:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The developers said you can loot zombies for body parts and there is a blunderbuss that you can load these body parts into and fire.   icon_eek  So if you're surrounded by the undead, you've got an endless supply of ammo.  Kill a zombie, scavenge for some body-part-ammo, load up the blunderbuss, and fire away.  Repeat as necessary.   icon_lol

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 28, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »

I don't know whether to be angry or glad that I let my friend borrow my copy of the game a few months ago and I still haven't gotten it back. On one hand it keeps me from playing this DLC, which I desperately want to do. On the other it keeps me from purchasing this DLC, which is good because my bank account is desperately low.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: October 28, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 28, 2010, 02:32:16 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 28, 2010, 02:59:41 AM

The day this was released developers of the DLC were on a local radio program and the conversation sounded so positive that it made me want to pick up the game, which I haven't played, just for the new content.  It sounds like it is almost an entirely new game, making it kind of a two-for-one deal.

Something I heard about on the radio that should help in terms of weapons and limited ammo:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The developers said you can loot zombies for body parts and there is a blunderbuss that you can load these body parts into and fire.   icon_eek  So if you're surrounded by the undead, you've got an endless supply of ammo.  Kill a zombie, scavenge for some body-part-ammo, load up the blunderbuss, and fire away.  Repeat as necessary.   icon_lol

Spoiler for Hiden:
While I haven't seen the blunderbuss yet, the endless supply of ammo thing gets a little tricky if you're surrounded, since it takes a couple of seconds to loot a corpse and they'll be clawing you the whole time.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 28, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

Finally finished RDR... maybe I'll pick this DLC up and give it a go... it's gotta be less annoying from a shooting perspective than Dead Rising.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:48 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 28, 2010, 01:03:18 PM

The game has gotten insanely good reviews, and word of mouth is pretty awesome as well

Guess I'll cave this weekend :-)

the terrorist are laughing at you.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »

I think he's busy playing with zombies!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 24, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

Double XP for MP until 1-3-11.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 24, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »

I saw the game has just appeared on Games On Demand on the 360,and priced at full price....i swear they don't want GoD to succeed,its easily half price now in shops

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: December 24, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »

I think it's still going for 60 bucks new in the States.  Even amazon still has it at $50.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 24, 2010, 06:26:20 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 24, 2010, 05:29:20 PM

I saw the game has just appeared on Games On Demand on the 360,and priced at full price....i swear they don't want GoD to succeed,its easily half price now in shops

Yeah, it's definitely full priced still here, but your point is very valid, none the less. 

If they would go the Steam method, they would need an extra vault to hold all the money.  There are games I have on disk that I would buy again to have in my library for $5.

Of course, they'd have to make my library pop up faster than the 2 minutes it takes now.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 24, 2010, 06:26:20 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 24, 2010, 05:29:20 PM

Yeah, it's definitely full priced still here, but your point is very valid, none the less. 

If they would go the Steam method, they would need an extra vault to hold all the money.  There are games I have on disk that I would buy again to have in my library for $5.

Of course, they'd have to make my library pop up faster than the 2 minutes it takes now.

if they had those kind of sales, i would actually use more than half of the 120gb drive i have now. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »

I finished this tonight after going back to the game probably mid-way a couple weeks ago.  Absolutely loved the game.  Wonderful characters and story and simply amazingly detailed game world.

On to MAJOR spoilers:
Spoiler for Hiden:
However I was fucking PISSED when they killed John.  I spent so much time with the character and they make him such a likeable guy, it was like a slap in the face.  I think I literally said out loud, "You gotta be fucking kidding me!!"

Gonna go back and read all the spoiler posts from before to see everyone's take on the game.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: