http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:49:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddle up! The Red Dead Redemption impressions thread.  (Read 46026 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 23, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »

couldn't even load up an mp game last night.  it just sat at the loading screen until i got tired of waiting. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 24, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »

Yeah, I think they had a problem with the new cooperative content.  Let me tell you, the new content has been a disaster for me so far.  Wasted 2 hours of my life tonight trying to get one of them done, only to find myself getting killed intentionally by immature idiots who were trying to make me leave the game.  My best guess is that they were trying to come into the game with a posse of 4 or something and I was in their way.  Rather than say anything they just kill me in the middle of the mission, of course ending up getting themselves killed as they don't have enough people to successfully complete the mission.  This needs some work.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 24, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »

While the first night it was out was a disaster, co-op missions were working well last night even though, while i could get into competative matches again, they were still a disaster and didn't work.

The co-op missions though?  Fantastic success imho.  I really look foward to more of this type of content cause it's bloody awesome imho.

I hope this is just a first step and sign of much greatness in paid DLC to come...we'll see.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 24, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »

I received the 100% achievement last night.

I just found out in order to get one of the secret achievements, I'll have to start the game over again.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's an achievement for finishing 20 story missions in a row without switching horses.  This includes not having your horse die.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 24, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 24, 2010, 05:43:51 PM

While the first night it was out was a disaster, co-op missions were working well last night even though, while i could get into competative matches again, they were still a disaster and didn't work.

The co-op missions though?  Fantastic success imho.  I really look foward to more of this type of content cause it's bloody awesome imho.

I hope this is just a first step and sign of much greatness in paid DLC to come...we'll see.

I LIKE the idea of the coop missions, I just wish the player-base wasn't so bloody immature.  I couldn't get a single one done the other night due to people who preferred just to kill me or kept kicking me because, I'm guessing, they were trying to get a posse member in the 4-person party and somehow I kept randomly joining them.  It became a complete waste of time -- one of my worst experiences in PUG'ing across any online game.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: June 25, 2010, 12:51:24 AM »

Quote from: Fez on June 24, 2010, 10:03:17 PM

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 24, 2010, 05:43:51 PM

I LIKE the idea of the coop missions, I just wish the player-base wasn't so bloody immature.  I couldn't get a single one done the other night due to people who preferred just to kill me or kept kicking me because, I'm guessing, they were trying to get a posse member in the 4-person party and somehow I kept randomly joining them.  It became a complete waste of time -- one of my worst experiences in PUG'ing across any online game.

Can you play the coop missions in a private instance?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 26, 2010, 03:15:45 AM »

God this game never ends.  The game started off slow, then picked up, and now dragging again.  There's way too much setup and carrot in front of the horse in this game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dutch committed suicide, and I've reunited with my family.  Done some quests with each member of my family and it still keeps going.  Was hoping to finish it today so I can finally move on. 

Game is fun, but it just drags at times. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 26, 2010, 03:37:21 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 26, 2010, 03:15:45 AM

God this game never ends.  The game started off slow, then picked up, and now dragging again.  There's way too much setup and carrot in front of the horse in this game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dutch committed suicide, and I've reunited with my family.  Done some quests with each member of my family and it still keeps going.  Was hoping to finish it today so I can finally move on. 

Game is fun, but it just drags at times. 

Yeah, I found that part to drag along a bit too.  IIRC there's only about 6-8 missions or so in that segment and then you are pretty close to done.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 27, 2010, 12:40:54 AM »

Finally finished it.  The game is fun overall, but long winded.  I think I liked the GTA series more. 

I'm still waiting for a great western that matches outlaws.  I thought this would have been it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 27, 2010, 03:13:45 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 27, 2010, 12:40:54 AM

Finally finished it.  The game is fun overall, but long winded.  I think I liked the GTA series more. 

I'm still waiting for a great western that matches outlaws.  I thought this would have been it.

I had the exact opposite reaction.  Apart from Vice City, there hasn't been a single GTA game that I've finished in a timely fashion, and they all seem to drag on forever (especially that last one).  Yet I felt like RDR just flew by.  I was very satisfied with the length and story.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 27, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 27, 2010, 03:13:45 AM

I had the exact opposite reaction.  Apart from Vice City, there hasn't been a single GTA game that I've finished in a timely fashion, and they all seem to drag on forever (especially that last one).  Yet I felt like RDR just flew by.  I was very satisfied with the length and story.

I'm with you.  This is probably the first game where I wanted to do the "100%" type of achievement.  It's been an amazing game in all aspects.

I'm still playing multiplayer and I'll be interested in any DLC that comes out for it.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 27, 2010, 06:54:19 AM »

I just completed and received gold medals for all of the regular co-op missions.  Now I can do the advanced co-op missions, which are the same, but harder and with expert aim only.

The hardest co-op mission is definitely "The Escape".  It's hard to keep everyone on-task throughout the whole mission.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 27, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 27, 2010, 03:13:45 AM

I gotta agree with you Bullwinkle... RDR is waaaaay better than GTA overall.

Having said that, I can *slightly* see naednek's point about the "home" missions dragging on too much.  I thought there were a few too many of those.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 29, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »

a few months ago before the release of Red Dead,there was a competition in the UK(and separate comps across Europe),where if you downloaded the current Red Dead trailer form the marketplace you could win a theme and 400 points

i just got 2 emails,1 saying that because i was one of the first 5000 i win 400 points and one saying because i was one of the first 85000(<<yeah i know)..i get a premium theme as well

so i am quite chuffed with that,as i had forgotten all about it icon_biggrin thumbsup

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 29, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »

I agree, best game I played on 360. To hell with 3d and motion 03shit, this is what we need more of.

Give me RDR2 asap.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 29, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 29, 2010, 10:19:50 PM

a few months ago before the release of Red Dead,there was a competition in the UK(and separate comps across Europe),where if you downloaded the current Red Dead trailer form the marketplace you could win a theme and 400 points

i just got 2 emails,1 saying that because i was one of the first 5000 i win 400 points and one saying because i was one of the first 85000(<<yeah i know)..i get a premium theme as well

so i am quite chuffed with that,as i had forgotten all about it icon_biggrin thumbsup

Premium theme?!  I don't care how much it is, I've been waiting for a RDR premium theme since the game came out.

Is the Premium Theme up on XBL now?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:47:03 PM by MaxSteele » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 29, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on June 29, 2010, 11:40:38 PM

Premium theme?!  I don't care how much it is, I've been waiting for a RDR premium theme since the game came out.

don't know if it will be available on XBL..it was a competition with Rockstar themselves

and re-examining my email,it doesn't actually say Premium..so it could just be a shitty old one...but it better not be!!

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 29, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 29, 2010, 11:46:06 PM

Premium theme?!  I don't care how much it is, I've been waiting for a RDR premium theme since the game came out.

don't know if it will be available on XBL..it was a competition with Rockstar themselves

and re-examining my email,it doesn't actually say Premium..so it could just be a shitty old one...but it better not be!!

Aaah, it's not a Red Dead Redemption premium theme you received.  It's a Rockstar Theme.  And I believe it's a normal theme, not premium.

Don't get me all excited like that!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57:12 PM »

yeah i just redeemed it,and its crap

and the 400 points code doesn't work either(or for anyone else it seems)...double kick to the bollocks retard

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 29, 2010, 11:57:12 PM

yeah i just redeemed it,and its crap

and the 400 points code doesn't work either(or for anyone else it seems)...double kick to the bollocks retard

Big suck all around.

I'll keep holding my breath for a premium RDR theme. smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: July 01, 2010, 04:34:44 AM »

finally got to play coop last night and it's good fun.  looking forward to getting the rest of the missions gold starred.  yay for free.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 01, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »

finished the coop missions last night and man the river was a pita.  20 minutes and almost 200 enemies.  got to expect the respawning enemies, but i hate that they just show up on the map without warning.  every time we died it was due to someone running down on us and getting us in a crossfire. 

worst part of it was getting incapped and then falling back into the water where you couldn't be revived.  that's a pretty stupid thing to happen

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 02, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »

Premium theme?!  I don't care how much it is, I've been waiting for a RDR premium theme since the game came out.

ask and ye shall recieve

a proper Premium Theme has just gone up on the Marketplace 240 points 10mb in size

if you can hang on,i am betting that these guys will have a preview of it within a day or two,so you can see how good it is before buying

ThemeXbox

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 02, 2010, 11:28:09 AM

ask and ye shall recieve

a proper Premium Theme has just gone up on the Marketplace 240 points 10mb in size

if you can hang on,i am betting that these guys will have a preview of it within a day or two,so you can see how good it is before buying

ThemeXbox

Woo hoo!
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 03, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »

Yeah, they posted it on that ThemeXbox web site.

And just like the first reply to the thread says - I will not buy this because it has a big "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" logo right on the front page.  I don't want to see the title of the game every time I boot up my 360.

Fallout 3's Premium theme didn't do this, which is the current theme I'm using.  There isn't one display of "FALLOUT 3" anywhere in it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 03, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on July 03, 2010, 04:30:17 PM

Yeah, they posted it on that ThemeXbox web site.

And just like the first reply to the thread says - I will not buy this because it has a big "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" logo right on the front page.  I don't want to see the title of the game every time I boot up my 360.

Fallout 3's Premium theme didn't do this, which is the current theme I'm using.  There isn't one display of "FALLOUT 3" anywhere in it.

I'm the same way. Why am I paying you to advertise your game?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 03, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »

ahh,thats a bit shit....i don't like it when themes show off the logo,and the areas behind the friends list isn't that great either...i think Monkey Island has a big logo also..Theme Xbox has stopped me buying a lot of themes that have done the same

i may get that Dark Knight theme thats on there,that looks pretty cool

oh and yeah Fallout 3 theme is great

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 08, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »

4 new DLC packs are coming.  I think 10 bucks may be a bit too steep though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 08, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2010, 03:52:38 PM

4 new DLC packs are coming.

40 bucks... and for what? Multiplayer poker? how revolutionary, and zombies?? How original? and practically no SP content?

out.

A new one
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 08, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »

I say yes to all 4 DLC.

If you add all four together and look at it as an expansion pack for $40, that's a lot of new content.

Making it $10 for each DLC allows me to choose which content I want and which content I do not want.

I want all of it. smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 08, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 08, 2010, 03:53:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2010, 03:52:38 PM

4 new DLC packs are coming.

40 bucks... and for what? Multiplayer poker? how revolutionary, and zombies?? How original? and practically no SP content?

out.

you can...you know,buy them seperately,if you want the single player stuff,buy the packs with the single player stuff in it..and its only the Free Roam pack that has no single player stuff in it completely..however,some Free Roam can be attempted on your own,as long as you are online

i admit that overall these packs are more for the MP player,but the last one is good news for the SP player...apart from the fact
Spoiler for Hiden:
i am gonna have to listen to that fucking kid going 'wooohooo' again when he is riding his horse

so just 'pony up' for the last pack icon_biggrin

Legends and Killers -- August 2010 (800 MS Points / $9.99)

* Nine new multiplayer map locations
    * Eight new multiplayer characters, including some from Red Dead Revolver
    * New projectile weapon, The Tomahawk, with corresponding multiplayer and single-player challenges
    * New Achievements and Trophies

Liars and Cheats -- Launch date TBD (800 MS Points / $9.99)

* Attack and Defend multiplayer competitive mode and challenges
    * New multiplayer horse races, with mounted combat
    * Play as "the heroes and villains" of Red Dead Redemption, as well as eight new multiplayer characters
    * Multiplayer versions of Liar's Dice and Poker from the single-player game
    * New weapon, The Explosive Rifle, with corresponding multiplayer and single-player challenges
    * New Achievements and Trophies

Free Roam -- Launch date TBD (Price TBD)

* Additional Free Roam challenges
    * New action areas and defensive placements
    * Posse scoring and leaderboards
    * New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam

Undead Nightmare -- Launch date TBD (800 MS Points / $9.99)

* New single-player adventure, challenges and quests
    * Eight new multiplayer zombie characters
    * Additional animals to hunt
    * New dynamic events "and more"

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 08, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »

I really, really dont see why there should be zombies in a game like RDR, so, I wont be getting the last one.

oh well - each to his own, but with MP that barely works (here in denmark at least) I dont see any value in this

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 08, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 08, 2010, 04:02:41 PM

I really, really dont see why there should be zombies in a game like RDR, so, I wont be getting the last one.

oh well - each to his own, but with MP that barely works (here in denmark at least) I dont see any value in this

yeah i admit that putting Zombies in there,does sound a bit dumb.

maybe

Spoiler for Hiden:
all the bodies that Seth robbed will come back to get him

or maybe.....this is a way round so that we get to play as John again...LOL

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 08, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 08, 2010, 04:06:34 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
all the bodies that Seth robbed will come back to get him

or maybe.....this is a way round so that we get to play as John again...LOL
icon_lol
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 08, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »

If They do the DLC like they did for GTA IV and eventually pack in onto its own disc, I'll probably go back for a rental.  I'm actually doing that with TLAD and TBoGT now. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: July 08, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »

For 40 bucks they'll need to be comparable to Episodes from Liberty City to be worth it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 08, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »

zombies are fine, but by the time this hits, dead rising 2 will be out and that will meet my needs for zombie killing just fine.  makes little sense either. 

odd that we have to pay for anti-griefing measures in free roam though.  i wonder what they have in mind for that.  better not be a variation of the "take his loadout".  it needs to be worked on somehow though.  too often you can work on a specific challenge only to get shot by random a-holes for no reason at all.  we've attempted to get the 10 minutes as a most wanted achievement several times only to attract every bored 14 y/o in the region just working to screw someone else over.  it really makes the game less enjoyable at times.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1277 on: July 08, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 08, 2010, 05:19:26 PM

odd that we have to pay for anti-griefing measures in free roam though.

This.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »

I'm gonna guess since price on the 3 is set to 9.99 and price on the free roam is set at TBD that the free roam pack ends up free or damn close to it....it seems far less satisfying in size and more like a free patch to me.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 08, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »

By the way folks, i'm lookin for people to do the advanced co-op mission challenges with.  I've beat all six at least once with a PUG, but it's real hard that way and i havn't beat all six with any single class yet.

I'd like to snag some of those challenges/titles for the fun of it if any of ya'll are up for it...send me a friend invite if ya are.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: