http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:49:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddle up! The Red Dead Redemption impressions thread.  (Read 46198 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 11, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 10, 2010, 07:47:37 PM

The grab bag stuff was fun, but the deathmatch stuff quickly devolved into high-level balcony-campers one-shotting you as soon as you poked your head out of cover.

level had nothing to do with deathmatch
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 11, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »

So I finally finished this last night and it was bittersweet. A sad but also satisfying ending. All in all, a great experience from beginning to end.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 11, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »

Quote from: spigot on June 11, 2010, 02:09:33 PM

So I finally finished this last night and it was bittersweet. A sad but also satisfying ending. All in all, a great experience from beginning to end.

Just to make sure... did you see the credits roll when you finished?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1163 on: June 11, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on June 11, 2010, 01:36:14 AM

After I did the "Who are you to Judge" side mission, the lady that stole the horse said "Don't you have any Brucie missions to be attending to?"

Did I hear that right?
Check the Journal. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: June 11, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 11, 2010, 02:19:18 AM

I've got 10.5 hrs in. I think I've done the last wess dickens mission. Still have a couple of irish and seth missions, but...

I think I'm going to sell this off.

It's doing absolutely nothing for me.

If the going rate at ebay holds, I'll actually make money on this game.

Things get way more interesting in short order. The Irish/Seth stuff is a prereq. for the last 2-3 West Dickens missions and then you get to move on to Mexico. The end of the West Dickens is pretty good, and the storyline picks up.

In total, they should take you (assuming you use fast travel) less than an hour and a half.

Do it, and move on to Mexico, pendejo (stolen from WarPig) and perhaps you can find some love for the game. You don't need to do the side missions, but I would heartily recommend heading to the east and finding the white horse. If you have the stallion though, it's just as fast. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:48:00 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 11, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 11, 2010, 02:34:43 PM

Quote from: spigot on June 11, 2010, 02:09:33 PM

Just to make sure... did you see the credits roll when you finished?

I'm pretty sure I did. I paid a visit to an old friend and tied up a loose end, then the credits rolled. Did I miss something else?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 11, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

If you saw credits then you finished the game.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 11, 2010, 02:45:33 PM

Things get way more interesting in short order. The Irish/Seth stuff is a prereq. for the last 2-3 West Dickens missions and then you get to move on to Mexico. The end of the West Dickens is pretty good, and the storyline picks up.

In total, they should take you (assuming you use fast travel) less than an hour and a half.

Do it, and move on to Mexico, pendejo (stolen from WarPig) and perhaps you can find some love for the game. You don't need to do the side missions, but I would heartily recommend heading to the east and finding the white horse. If you have the stallion though, it's just as fast. Tongue

If he's played 10.5 hours, that's more than enough time to tell if he doesn't like the game.  You shouldn't have to play a game more than that to keep drudging on.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1168 on: June 11, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 11, 2010, 05:12:32 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 11, 2010, 02:45:33 PM

If he's played 10.5 hours, that's more than enough time to tell if he doesn't like the game.  You shouldn't have to play a game more than that to keep drudging on.

10.5 hours of riding around shooting runaway criminals, skinning animals and going to places like Tumbleweed without good reason not begin to uncover the interesting parts of this game.

Hell, Mikagami panned it and he hadn't even gottan a lasso. Dead eye lvl2 and 3 change some aspects of the game, as does turning on expert aim(which SS has done, as he has the achievement for it), and that doesn't even touch on the story.

SS doesn't need to play it, but commenting on giving up in here is likely to invoke someone giving words of encouragement to push through - Dickens ain't that far in, and while I enjoyed my sandbox time, having races, and gattling guns, etc.. was well worth the time for me. I'm not even 30 hours in, and I'm closing in on the last 30% of the game.

And I rarely used fast travel, and completed every sidequest handed to me, every odd job, and almost every showdown.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:28:14 PM by Purge » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:40 PM »

Mexico wouldn't have won me over to the game if I wasn't digging the first act. Awesome landscape, and maybe more interesting activities in the missions, but totally unlikeable characters (except for one) and a really poor storyline. If RDR was a movie then the Mexico section would be one of the deleted scenes you watch afterward and think "glad they didn't put that in the film."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: June 11, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »

I thought Mexico was the worst of the three areas. 

It's odd to me that you could play 10.5 hours though and not be further along or have quit.  one or the other slywink
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 11, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

The game does start out kind of slow, admittedly, but if he's been doing 10+ hours of main story mission and he still can't get into it, then by all means move on. You pick up your much needed skills from Bonnie, but after that point, if the story or setting hasn't grabbed you enough to continue (even milling about in the open world), then there isn't some magical "turning point" where the game does a 180 and blows your mind.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: June 11, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

I found it (Mexico) entertaining. I enjoyed the Seth and Irish bits more, but I liked the awkwardness of John around De Santa. I felt bad every time I helped out the Mexican army. If it wasn't compelling, I wouldn't have cared.

Spoiler for "I found in Mexico that...":

I wore my bandana while travelling so that I could shoot the police and save their victims.

I also enjoyed the hell out of Landon Ricketts. There are parts of that section that feel like "Meh-hee-ko" (accent on Meh) such as the Louisa bits, but it was a means to an ends for John.

There are several side-quests that do not end the way you expect them too (e.g. the whore, or California).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:37:31 PM by Purge » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »

Yeah, Rickets was the best character in Mexico. Everyone else not only gave me no incentive to want to help them, but also I didn't really see how John Marston would have had reason to continue through the missions. 
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 11, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 11, 2010, 05:34:07 PM

I found it (Mexico) entertaining. I enjoyed the Seth and Irish bits more, but I liked the awkwardness of John around De Santa. I felt bad every time I helped out the Mexican army. If it wasn't compelling, I wouldn't have cared.

Spoiler for "I found in Mexico that...":

I wore my bandana while travelling so that I could shoot the police and save their victims.

I also enjoyed the hell out of Landon Ricketts. There are parts of that section that feel like "Meh-hee-ko" (accent on Meh) such as the Louisa bits, but it was a means to an ends for John.

There are several side-quests that do not end the way you expect them too (e.g. the whore, or California).

You know, I finished the game and I never got the California mission.  I still have the Daedalus mission to complete, but I don't have any other stranger missions.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 11, 2010, 02:58:40 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 11, 2010, 02:19:18 AM

If the going rate at ebay holds, I'll actually make money on this game.

With the Amazon deals for purchase and their current $40 trade-in, I think I'm breaking even or coming out ahead as well.

But Lettuce & ras752000, if you have the stamina to avoid side missions and plow through the main storyline, this game really does have one of the best finales I've ever seen in gaming.  I guess maybe not quite as cool if you're totally not connecting with the main character, though.  

Actually the main character is the only point of interest.  So far everyone else except for Bonnie's Dad, the Marshall and maybe Bonnie herself have been annoying.  If I had the ability I'd blow Seth's head off (and then loot  his corpse slywink ) and I would do terrible things to Wess Dickins.  Irish...well I'd have a whiskey with him and then splatter his guts with a shotgun.

I'm probably going to give it until the assault on the fort, but if after that it doesn't click, I'm Audi 5000.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 12, 2010, 12:46:44 AM »

Rockstar confirms PC port  biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 12, 2010, 02:26:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2010, 12:46:44 AM

"No current plans" translates to confirmed nowadays, eh? 

I'm behind the times....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 12, 2010, 02:36:05 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on June 12, 2010, 02:26:58 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2010, 12:46:44 AM

"No current plans" translates to confirmed nowadays, eh? 

I'm behind the times....

forgot to remove that when I put it in the PC forum, but it's exactly the same way they acted in the months before GTA IV came out for the PC, and IIRC it was the same for GTA San Andreas too.

Because I can,
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 12, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »

Personally I think any expansion/sequel should bring over as much as possible from San Andreas, still the best GTA game.

This game could be like Oblivion in West but without the RPG stats.

So. Less multiplayer shit, more persistent stuff.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 12, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »

The spoiler here includes information from the end of the main story, but is not about it specifically.  Don't read if you haven't seen the credits roll.
Spoiler for Hiden:
You know, there was quite a bit more production and programming needed in this game than usual.  If you only did the main story missions and finished the game, and never touched any of the stranger missions, you would be doing all of them as Jack.

That means they had to record voice work for every stranger mission with John and Jack, and have different dialogue with the characters in the missions to refer to Jack and John separately.

Also, every stranger mission which had multiple parts that you could have started with John would also have to have alternate dialogue if you picked it back up with Jack.  An example is the Daedalus mission.  When I returned to the guy with the items he wanted as Jack, the guy said to me:  "Oh, did that other man send you to help me?"

On top of all of this, the interactions with every NPC that would have said: "Hey, you're John Marston" would have to change to make some reference to Jack as well, and Jack himself has to have recorded dialogue for every ambient situation where John would have said something (riding the horse, skinning animals, etc...)

Very impressive that they did all this, when some of it, like the stranger missions, would be completely passed-over by someone if they finished them all with John.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:34:13 PM by MaxSteele » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 12, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »

good point max. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
i did the second half of the daedalus mission with jack and he didn't say a thing the whole time.  i was kind of bummed about not hearing something relayed from him about how his dad had mentioned the man who wanted to fly or something.  i also wrapped up the opiate mission and the dialogue was there, but it wasn't much different from what i would expect john to have said. 

the whole jack/john side of it makes me want to go through again and leave all of the stranger missions for him.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 12, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 12, 2010, 05:59:34 PM

good point max. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
i did the second half of the daedalus mission with jack and he didn't say a thing the whole time.  i was kind of bummed about not hearing something relayed from him about how his dad had mentioned the man who wanted to fly or something.  i also wrapped up the opiate mission and the dialogue was there, but it wasn't much different from what i would expect john to have said. 

the whole jack/john side of it makes me want to go through again and leave all of the stranger missions for him.

Yeah, you're right.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It looks like they had the voice actor for Jack just say the lines that John would have said.  But at least the strangers acknowledge you're different.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 12, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »

New patch for RDR today.  Here's the big one for you expert aimers:

Additionally, this update includes support for a new playlist by popular demand, Hardcore Free Roam supporting only expert aim.  This playlist will be released once this title update has time to propagate on both consoles.  We will update this post with the word as soon as that playlist is confirmed as functional.

The full patch notes are here.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 12, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »

These are game-end spoilers:

Quote from: MaxSteele on June 12, 2010, 06:02:33 PM

good point max. 
Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, you're right.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It looks like they had the voice actor for Jack just say the lines that John would have said.  But at least the strangers acknowledge you're different.

I don't think it looks like they did that.  Some of the stuff is definitely unique to the situation.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 12, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2010, 09:44:59 PM

These are game-end spoilers:

Quote from: MaxSteele on June 12, 2010, 06:02:33 PM

good point max. 
Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, you're right.
Spoiler for Hiden:

I don't think it looks like they did that.  Some of the stuff is definitely unique to the situation.

I didn't have much to compare.  That's great that is was unique.  Just another reason why I really like this game.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 13, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »

Finished the assault on the fort.  It was ok.  Combat is JUST. TOO. EASY.

Marston does intrigue me as a character, but I think I'm gonna sell it this week.

So my first Rockstar experience (other than Max Payne series) is a decided 'meh'.

Glad so many enjoyed it though.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 13, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 13, 2010, 03:07:00 AM

Marston does intrigue me as a character, but I think I'm gonna sell it this week.

So my first Rockstar experience (other than Max Payne series) is a decided 'meh'.

Spoiler tagged for your convenience...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked the SP campaign a lot at first, but the missions in Mexico started to bore and irritate me. Although a lot of people liked how the campaign ended, I don't think it was that good. If it was a movie, then ok, but as an interactive experience it certainly wasn't as much of a thrill ride like the GTA games

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 13, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »

have you been using auto-aim?  i've been using expert aiming from the start and can't imagine it any other way...probably would be too easy if you use lock-on all the time...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 13, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 13, 2010, 04:23:58 PM

have you been using auto-aim?  i've been using expert aiming from the start and can't imagine it any other way...probably would be too easy if you use lock-on all the time...

Dead Eye makes it pretty easy too.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »

Finished it.   Loved it.   Game of the Year.

Song that plays as the credits roll is awesome.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bar none, this is the most connected I've ever felt to a character in a game.    I am actually kinda down that it ended the way it did.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:36:56 PM by msduncan » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 14, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

Man, I figured the ending would be quicker than this.  I'm starting to get a Lord of the Rings vibe.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Press B to spend quality time with your son."

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 14, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 14, 2010, 08:07:01 PM

Man, I figured the ending would be quicker than this.  I'm starting to get a Lord of the Rings vibe.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Press B to spend quality time with your son."

They're just setting a mood for what's to come. smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »

Nope. Used expert.  Sold for 44.00 + shipping...oooh dat is niiiice
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 15, 2010, 02:04:28 AM

Finished the assault on the fort.  It was ok.  Combat is JUST. TOO. EASY.

have you been using auto-aim?  i've been using expert aiming from the start and can't imagine it any other way...probably would be too easy if you use lock-on all the time...

Nope. Used expert.  Sold for 44.00 + shipping...oooh dat is niiiice

This makes no sense to me.  When you switch to expert mode, how is RDR any different (or easier) than any other 1st or 3rd person shooter?  If anything, I thought it was not nearly as forgiving as some of the more recent titles.  (Gears of War series, the last few Call of Duty games, etc.)  So, I'm interested to hear why you think it's so easy.

Also, 10.5 hours and you hadn't even made it to Fort Mercer?  I guess I just don't understand, if the game was "meh" and the combat was easy, why did it take you half of my entire game time just to get through the first part?  I spent quite a bit of time doing side quests and other things, and I wasn't even at 10 hours before I finished Fort Mercer.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:31:37 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »

Finished the story last night.  Then I went to get my fame to max for the achievement, shot everybody with a pistol to try and get the 500 kills with that weapon.  I think I may still be 200 short. 

I'll have to think about it, but I may be turning it around to Amazon for what would be the equivalent of a one-month rental for $27.50.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:08 PM »

Red Dead Redemption Game Script posted via GamersHell. For all your copy and paste needs  icon_wink

West: Friends! Hard-working souls of...Cholla Springs! Gather round, gather
      round. Do you suffer from Rheumatism? Lumbago? Acute, chronic, sciatic,
      neurologic or inflammatory pain? Well, I represent the only company that
      makes the GENUINE ARTICLE that cures headaches, neuralgia, earaches,
      toothaches, backaches, swelling, sprains, sore chests, swelling of the
      throats, contracted chords and muscles, anxieties and ravaged nerves,
      stiff joints, wrenches, dislocations, cuts and bruises! And it adds
      vitality and vigor to the healthy man!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:01:06 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 17, 2010, 12:56:05 AM »

Good O'l West.

I still wanna shoot him.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 22, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »

the co-op DLC is out today, figure I'll grab it and give it a shot.

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 22, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »

As I set up to download the new DLC for Red Dead Redemption, "Outlaws to the End" this morning from the XBox Live Marketplace on the web site, I noticed something a bit out of place....

The size of the DLC is 12 megabytes.

There is no way six new missions are set up in the game along with all of the new challenges for only 12 megabytes of space.

More and more game developers are including what they call 'extra' content on the disc, only unlocked a month or two after the game is released and market it as 'free DLC'.  This isn't a trend I'm liking....

Take a look for yourself by logging into http://live.xbox.com with your XBox Live Gold account and search in the Marketplace for the DLC.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: