http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:37:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddle up! The Red Dead Redemption impressions thread.  (Read 47858 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 28, 2010, 01:22:02 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on May 28, 2010, 01:06:34 AM

Maybe i've not gotten far, but so far this game is BORRRRING.

Minor spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Go help a guy find his partner.

Go break a horse.

Go race against some yokels.

Am I still in the tutorial?  When does this game open up and get interesting? I want more duels. more poker. More gang shoot outs.  Less errand running.

yeah it starts getting better,that's what the first hour?,i am on my 37th hour currently(52%..half way through Act II).....although the errand running is always present in these kind of games,i found this game to have a very slow start

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 28, 2010, 01:26:42 AM »

I guess i should have done all the tutorial missions in succession. I'm like 4 hrs in and ready to sell it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #842 on: May 28, 2010, 02:29:40 AM »

This is one of my most favorite games of all time already.  I'm am loving everything about it.  Even my gf likes watching it!  It has edged out God of War 3 as my goty so far.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 28, 2010, 02:30:11 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on May 28, 2010, 01:26:42 AM

I guess i should have done all the tutorial missions in succession. I'm like 4 hrs in and ready to sell it.

Maybe you don't like Westerns.   Or maybe you don't like games of the year?
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 28, 2010, 03:21:10 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 28, 2010, 02:30:11 AM

I think that's it. I've probably logged 20 hours and only done 8 or 9 missions. The side quests and just random exploring is so awesome in this game it's ridiculous.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:19 AM »

ya gotta learn to crawl before ya learn to walk smile ...

you've not gotten far. what's strange, for me, is that on reflection, the first 12 hrs of this game were the best 12 hrs. if you've broken a horse, head out to armadillo & see what's going on with the marshall - you're basically over the hump, tutorial-wise, & ready to ride...

Or maybe you don't like games of the year?

what's bayonetta have to do with this? smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:07 AM »

Two hours in, I was totally bored.  Now I'm loving it.  I think sometime around four hours was when things started to really improve for me.  It starts off extremely slowly.  The pacing is definitely messed up.

I agree with semiconscious, head out to Armadillo and hang with the sheriff.  Do a bunch of bounties.  Look at the printed map that came with the game and there's north west of Armadillo marked with a little lambda symbol, which if you check just to the right of the map's legend means "danger."  Mosey on over there.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 28, 2010, 05:57:47 AM »

can't get people to stop playing single player for multi, but they will stop playing single player for Peggle... go figure. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 28, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »

You can play poker whenever you want - you can also go to Pikes Basin and the likes whenever you want, and have a gang-shootout if thats more your style. Also, check in regularely with the sherif in Armadillo since there's some nice missions from there from time to time, pretty early in the game.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 27, 2010, 08:57:45 PM

Well, I guess it was a good 2 weeks while it lasted. Everyone is playing Peggle now.

2 weeks?  the game only came out on the 18th  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:40 AM »

Quote from: Booner on May 27, 2010, 01:02:49 AM

Quote from: Teggy on May 27, 2010, 12:35:57 AM

If you'd like to unleash hell on yourself, walk into the Presidio and open a drawer in one of the buildings biggrin

Can someone give me a hint for the treasure in Mexico that shows a 2 pointed rock formation? I just want to know if I am missing something obvious, like words on the map or a picture or something. I think this is treasure 6? I don't want to know exactly where it is (I can always look that up), I'm just wondering why I don't have a clue where it is. The one place I thought would be the obvious place was not correct.

Just found this one tonight...been searching for days for it, then the next two maps went fast. Anyways...without being too specific :

Spoiler for Hiden:
The rock formation is a bit east of Escalera, but not quite halfway to Chuparosa.

And if you want to be pretty specific:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Check the area around Two Toes... smile

I stumbled across that one while helping a peasant run from coyotes.  I have to say the map you get next seems to be pretty obscure; the hint looks familiar but that only narrows it down to about half the game map.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 28, 2010, 08:55:34 AM »

The director of "The Road" will not make a movie out of the game to be aired on the 29th on Fox television.  Pretty interesting!

http://www.giantbomb.com/red-dead-redemption-is-now-a-tv-movie/17-2547/

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »

Red Dead Redemption made 10 million($14.5 million) in 2 days here in the UK

Quote from: Daehawk on May 26, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Picked up the strategy guide today. I just flipped through it quickly while at the mall but it seems really in depth and probably invaluable. It has a full map with all locations marked. All weapons with stats on their power and all other stats . Also tells where and how to get them. I think it's a great deal at $16 or $18!

Daehawk-you may wanna try and avoid page 243,its in the strangers section it is the 'I Know You' stranger mission(parts 1-3),now i have not read what happens at the end,but before the first part has even begun it has a massive spoiler in red on that page

it could of said something like,you have to do all parts of this stranger before a certain mission in the storyline...instead it just gives away what happens at the end,or at least gives you a massive clue(you can only do this ....),as that 'I Know You' mission first pops up in the first few hours of playing,i thought i ought to warn you

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 28, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »

more DLC incoming after June's Co-Op DLC

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/more-red-dead-dlc-later-this-year

"There will definitely be more DLC packs to follow, later this summer and into the fall," the developer said on its website.

"Some exciting things are planned - we'll be announcing info including release time frames and pricing on those in the coming months."

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 28, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 28, 2010, 09:33:03 AM

Red Dead Redemption made 10 million($14.5 million) in 2 days here in the UK

Quote from: Daehawk on May 26, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Picked up the strategy guide today. I just flipped through it quickly while at the mall but it seems really in depth and probably invaluable. It has a full map with all locations marked. All weapons with stats on their power and all other stats . Also tells where and how to get them. I think it's a great deal at $16 or $18!

Daehawk-you may wanna try and avoid page 243,its in the strangers section it is the 'I Know You' stranger mission(parts 1-3),now i have not read what happens at the end,but before the first part has even begun it has a massive spoiler in red on that page

it could of said something like,you have to do all parts of this stranger before a certain mission in the storyline...instead it just gives away what happens at the end,or at least gives you a massive clue(you can only do this ....),as that 'I Know You' mission first pops up in the first few hours of playing,i thought i ought to warn you

Thank you.I dog eared that page to avoid it now.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 28, 2010, 11:49:16 AM »

Lettuce, I recommend switching the aiming mode to expert. It's so much more fun and westerny to have shots going wild, and it feels awesome whenever you shoot someone off a horse on the first try. There's plenty of Deadeye meter for those times when your shot has to count.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »

Actually, I thought ME2 was brilliant start to finish and right now it's laying waste to this game in the GOTY category. So *Fist Shaking* to you.   icon_wink

I guess I just haven't opened things up enough yet as I've just been running around at random hoping to stumble into stuff..rather than going through all the tutorial missions. Is there a clear point where you know you're 'on your own' and done with the tutorial stuff?

I find the character of Marston intriguing, but that's about it.  I want to be enjoying it, but am not yet.  This has happened with games before. Hopefully it'll click soon.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 28, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »

Anyone else camp and when you leave its a totally different location than where you camped?

Still loving this game. It's all I play.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 28, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 28, 2010, 12:33:30 PM

Anyone else camp and when you leave its a totally different location than where you camped?

there are set locations for the camps and it just pops you to the closest one of those which kind of sucks.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 28, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 28, 2010, 12:37:00 PM

there are set locations for the camps and it just pops you to the closest one of those which kind of sucks.

Oh. Well actually thats good news then. I was afraid my game was getting glitchy. Nice to know it's just a feature.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 28, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 28, 2010, 12:40:06 PM

Oh. Well actually thats good news then. I was afraid my game was getting glitchy. Nice to know it's just a feature.

heh, more of a facet than a feature really.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 28, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 28, 2010, 12:47:29 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 28, 2010, 12:40:06 PM

heh, more of a facet than a feature really.

i figured your horse did it while you were sleeping smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 28, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »

I'm never going to finish this game at the rate I'm playing. I've put in about 15 hours easily and have only reached the first mission with the crazy grave digger. I've also only done two bounties. I keep getting sidetracked with treasure hunting, hunting challenges, picking up flowers, and playing poker. Game of the Year, for sure.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 28, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »

So whats everyone's favorite mini game? Mine would have to be poker. I've put more time and lost more money in it than all the others. I think I'm best at blackjack but poker is better for just relaxing. Especially in a thunderstorm. So cool.

I guess I suck the most at 5 finger fillet. Which should be the easiest...but not for me. Well unless you count dueling as a mini game. If so then I suck at it the worst. All I do it die.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 28, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 28, 2010, 01:40:22 PM

So whats everyone's favorite mini game? Mine would have to be poker. I've put more time and lost more money in it than all the others. I think I'm best at blackjack but poker is better for just relaxing. Especially in a thunderstorm. So cool.

I guess I suck the most at 5 finger fillet. Which should be the easiest...but not for me. Well unless you count dueling as a mini game. If so then I suck at it the worst. All I do it die.

I would have to say poker is my favorite as well. Especially now that I've gotten the hang of how the poker AI works. I think my best round was getting two AI players to go all in and then winning it with two pair, 8's and 5's. That they were the last two players was pretty cool too.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 28, 2010, 07:19:40 AM

Quote from: Booner on May 27, 2010, 01:02:49 AM

Quote from: Teggy on May 27, 2010, 12:35:57 AM

If you'd like to unleash hell on yourself, walk into the Presidio and open a drawer in one of the buildings biggrin

Can someone give me a hint for the treasure in Mexico that shows a 2 pointed rock formation? I just want to know if I am missing something obvious, like words on the map or a picture or something. I think this is treasure 6? I don't want to know exactly where it is (I can always look that up), I'm just wondering why I don't have a clue where it is. The one place I thought would be the obvious place was not correct.

Just found this one tonight...been searching for days for it, then the next two maps went fast. Anyways...without being too specific :

Spoiler for Hiden:
The rock formation is a bit east of Escalera, but not quite halfway to Chuparosa.

And if you want to be pretty specific:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Check the area around Two Toes... smile

I stumbled across that one while helping a peasant run from coyotes.  I have to say the map you get next seems to be pretty obscure; the hint looks familiar but that only narrows it down to about half the game map.

I'm surprised you say that. I had already been through that area many times so I knew exactly where to go. It's a very large landmark and is listed on the map once you discover it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2010, 02:00:16 PM »

I like liars dice.  Nice payoff, and seems to require thinking.  I find it fun.

I couldnt get the 5 finger filet thing.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 28, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on May 28, 2010, 02:00:16 PM

I like liars dice.  Nice payoff, and seems to require thinking.  I find it fun.

I couldnt get the 5 finger filet thing.

I started to enjoy the occasional round of Liars Dice too. I didn't quite grasp it at first, but once I did and realized there's a bit of strategy in it, I'll sit down a give it a go when the mood hits me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 28, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 28, 2010, 11:49:16 AM

Lettuce, I recommend switching the aiming mode to expert. It's so much more fun and westerny to have shots going wild, and it feels awesome whenever you shoot someone off a horse on the first try. There's plenty of Deadeye meter for those times when your shot has to count.

plus after awhile you don't really miss anymore.

Because I can,
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 28, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »

Anyone try arm wrestling? I hate it, probably because I don't understand what the hell I'm supposed to do. "Keep an eye on your opponents face to judge when to push and when to hold".

So if it looks like he's pushing out a turd, hold? And if he's all smiles, push? Bah, that mini-game sucks.

I've been enjoying poker and liars dice mostly, five finger fillet is alright but not one of my favorites.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 28, 2010, 01:33:07 PM

I'm never going to finish this game at the rate I'm playing. I've put in about 15 hours easily and have only reached the first mission with the crazy grave digger. I've also only done two bounties. I keep getting sidetracked with treasure hunting, hunting challenges, picking up flowers, and playing poker. Game of the Year, for sure.

I seem to be alternating doing missions one night and doing challenges/looking for Strangers the next night.

Because I can,
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 28, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 28, 2010, 02:12:39 PM

Quote from: JayDee on May 28, 2010, 01:33:07 PM

I seem to be alternating doing missions one night and doing challenges/looking for Strangers the next night.

I kinda have a routine where I start and end my play sessions with a storyline mission, with maybe another somewhere in a few hours span. Otherwise I work on challenges, outfits, exploring, bounties, etc. etc.

Currently at around 45-48 hours and 66%...just opened the West Elizabeth region, so it seems there is plenty more to do. nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 28, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 28, 2010, 02:22:35 PM

Currently at around 45-48 hours and 66%...just opened the West Elizabeth region, so it seems there is plenty more to do. nod

I'm hoping to open that soon, it's funny (and annoying) how Rockstar games almost always seem to have bridges closed to limit you at the beginning.  I know it happened in Vice City and GTA IV, can't remember if it happened in San Andreas or GTA 3.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 28, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on May 28, 2010, 11:52:02 AM

I guess I just haven't opened things up enough yet as I've just been running around at random hoping to stumble into stuff..rather than going through all the tutorial missions. Is there a clear point where you know you're 'on your own' and done with the tutorial stuff?

You're probably already there and just don't know it.  The game never really says "okay, you're done with the tutorial, go out and explore the world".  It's kind of up to you to decide.  I would do the Bonnie missions until you get the lasso and then just start exploring.  Like others have said, you can go into the towns and do mini-games, find bandit hideouts on the map, pick up bounties, do the various challenges, find Strangers giving sidequests, etc.  But the game will almost never tell you to do that stuff.  
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 28, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 28, 2010, 02:35:42 PM

I'm hoping to open that soon, it's funny (and annoying) how Rockstar games almost always seem to have bridges closed to limit you at the beginning.  I know it happened in Vice City and GTA IV, can't remember if it happened in San Andreas or GTA 3.

They were closed in both San Andreas and GTA 3. Were they closed in GTA IV?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: May 28, 2010, 02:44:38 PM »

I'm stuck on the treasure hunting...

I got the one by hanging rock, but the one near Rancho Rio (or whatever) escapes me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I found the camp on the point, descended to the edge of the river, and even found a camp where a guy was tied up. I saved him from a villainous bandit, and then he said if I untied him he'd tell me where the treasure was.

Hit X; then he starts walking back to town. I followed him (walking) back to the road.  Then I tried looking around the banks (from the camp all the way past the golden rocks that are half-way into the water) right back to the canyon.

Nada.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: May 28, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 28, 2010, 02:44:29 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 28, 2010, 02:35:42 PM

They were closed in both San Andreas and GTA 3. Were they closed in GTA IV?

Yes, the police had a barricade up, IIRC.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 28, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »

I have been playing such a wholesome hero I had no idea how many crimes you could commit in the game. They are all listed in the stats. I have only committed 4 crimes and I think they were all done by mistake - 2 law officers killed, 1 law officer threatened and 1 murder.  Arson, vehicle vandalism, livestock slaughter, safe cracking (I have only even seen one in a mission)...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 28, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 28, 2010, 02:50:17 PM

I have been playing such a wholesome hero I had no idea how many crimes you could commit in the game. They are all listed in the stats. I have only committed 4 crimes and I think they were all done by mistake - 2 law officers killed, 1 law officer threatened and 1 murder.  Arson, vehicle vandalism, livestock slaughter, safe cracking (I have only even seen one in a mission)...

As much as I wanted to play the outlaw type, It doesnt really seem to mesh well.   I havent seen any "evil" missions or anything, all are helping people out, etc.   So I am just going with the flow.   But who know,s maybe I am missing something. 

Any rob the bank, assassinate the marshall type quests?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 28, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 28, 2010, 02:44:38 PM

I'm stuck on the treasure hunting...

I got the one by hanging rock, but the one near Rancho Rio (or whatever) escapes me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I found the camp on the point, descended to the edge of the river, and even found a camp where a guy was tied up. I saved him from a villainous bandit, and then he said if I untied him he'd tell me where the treasure was.

Hit X; then he starts walking back to town. I followed him (walking) back to the road.  Then I tried looking around the banks (from the camp all the way past the golden rocks that are half-way into the water) right back to the canyon.

Nada.

Spoiler for Hiden:
the treasure isn't down by the river.  look around carefully for ledges when you start to follow the trail.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: