http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:34:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddle up! The Red Dead Redemption impressions thread.  (Read 48318 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »

oh, and did anyone else have issues with the Marshall mission that ends with you and the posse hunkered down in a burnt out building that you're not supposed to leave?

Spoiler for Hiden:
all the bandits were taken down except for two who stayed behind some big boulders and refused to move, which made it impossible to shoot them.  I finally ran out of the building and dead eyed them quickly but the game kept saying get back into the building.  I'm guessing there's some kind of countdown that will fail the mission so if you're stuck in that position just ignore the game but be quick in killing the bandits.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 20, 2010, 02:59:33 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2010, 02:55:33 PM

one thing that's odd about the stranger quests is that they end so abruptly.  take the American Appetite ones, once you find what you're looking for you don't have to ride back with the info, you just get paid and it ends.

It's not over, though.  You're right that you don't have to go back to return anything, but I guess you can think of it as maybe she went off to look a little herself and then when the quest is ready to continue, she will show up again.  I have the next step on my map and will do that today when I play.

Same. I was wondering why it wasn't checking American Appetite off as completed in my outfit challenges because I thought I was done. But now the stranger has appeared on my map again so I'm going to do that next.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2010, 03:02:56 PM

oh, and did anyone else have issues with the Marshall mission that ends with you and the posse hunkered down in a burnt out building that you're not supposed to leave?

Spoiler for Hiden:
all the bandits were taken down except for two who stayed behind some big boulders and refused to move, which made it impossible to shoot them.  I finally ran out of the building and dead eyed them quickly but the game kept saying get back into the building.  I'm guessing there's some kind of countdown that will fail the mission so if you're stuck in that position just ignore the game but be quick in killing the bandits.

Nope.  I did that mission last night.
Spoiler for Hiden:
the first group showed up, and me and the posse took 'em all out.  The second group showed up, we took those out, and 'mission completed'.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »

I was having issues staying connected to online free-roam last night.  There was one time I got in there and played for about 20 minutes, only to get kicked back to single player without warning.  Most of the time when I would try to go into it, it would just tell me "Communication error". 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on May 20, 2010, 03:19:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2010, 03:02:56 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Nope.  I did that mission last night.
Spoiler for Hiden:
the first group showed up, and me and the posse took 'em all out.  The second group showed up, we took those out, and 'mission completed'.

Spoiler for Hiden:
first group went down no problem, it was just 2 guys from the second group that hunkered down out of sight and refused to move, kinda like their AI shut down.  Like I said apparently you can ignore the mission's rules, I'm just not sure for how long.

plus I figured I'd mention it in case anyone else runs into that issue.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »

Were you in public or private freeroam?  I've heard that public is more prone (proner) to connectivity issues.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »

I did that mission last night with no problems. Shooting out the horses on the charging men is really fun.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 20, 2010, 03:32:31 PM

Were you in public or private freeroam?  I've heard that public is more prone (proner) to connectivity issues.

Yep, it was public freeroam.

I don't have an interest in private free roam, as I have such an erratic play schedule that anyone of my friend list is usually not available.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »

hell, shooting men on their horse is fun in any mode.  i took the second bounty alive and was on my way back to town.  watching them fall back and hang from their stirrups never gets old.  like headshotting cops in gta 4.

i've decided not to intervene in the random "dude chasing other dude" moments as i've now lost a bunch of honor by shooting the wrong guy.  

side note, i really need to make sure i've got the right weapon equipped before trying to save anyone.  i saw a woman getting chased by coyotes and tried to lasso the damn things.  she ran out of ground to run on, as they say.  oops, my bad.  they then attacked me and dropped my horse.  sad, but thanks for the meat.  it was odd, but after a later failed attempt to duel some random, i got the same horse back.  after the first one died, the next was the darker wild horse i had tamed the night before, so i thought horse death was more permanent.  man, i wish you could check your horses the same way you check them in mp.  hard to tell which is best.  same problem with the guns, but at least those you can check in the gunsmith.

doing the part for the bollards outfit, i haven't been able to clear either checkbox despite riding all the way around the town.  the tailor is still MIA, but i hope he shows up later in the day.  

it's hard not to blow off the rest of the day and play instead.  stupid work.  

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

I've found Private Free Roam to be great for soloing while farming bandit hideouts for XP  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »

It sucked when I saw one guy running and I shot the guy that was chasing and firing on him.

"It's a special feeling, shooting a man with tin on his chest, ain't it?"   saywhat  *Fist Shaking*

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »

Frontier justice is harsh.

I came across a disabled paddy wagon with two escaped prisoners running away and an injured and limping sherrif asking me to chase them down.

I shot the first escapee and then ran down the 2nd on horseback.  I was able to lasso and hogtie him. 

I brought him back to the sherrif who thanked and payed me for bringing him back.

I set the prisoner on the ground (still hogtied) and the sherrif pulled his pistol and shot him then walked away.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 20, 2010, 03:55:23 PM

man, i wish you could check your horses the same way you check them in mp.  hard to tell which is best.  same problem with the guns, but at least those you can check in the gunsmith.

You can check gun stats and even switch active guns in a paused setting by pressing start and going to the weapons screen.  It helps in those hairy situations when the weapon wheel is too slow.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on May 20, 2010, 04:04:41 PM

I came across a disabled paddy wagon with two escaped prisoners running away and an injured and limping sherrif asking me to chase them down.

I shot the first escapee and then ran down the 2nd on horseback.  I was able to lasso and hogtie him. 

I brought him back to the sherrif who thanked and payed me for bringing him back.

I set the prisoner on the ground (still hogtied) and the sherrif pulled his pistol and shot him then walked away.

thanks - that made me feel better about just shooting them myself smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Owain on May 20, 2010, 04:12:23 PM

Quote from: Caine on May 20, 2010, 03:55:23 PM

man, i wish you could check your horses the same way you check them in mp.  hard to tell which is best.  same problem with the guns, but at least those you can check in the gunsmith.

You can check gun stats and even switch active guns in a paused setting by pressing start and going to the weapons screen.  It helps in those hairy situations when the weapon wheel is too slow.

frontier wuss!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »

the sherriff wanted the payback for them giving him the limp.  

i found the religious daughter from the train.  she should be hogtied and brought back to town, crazy nutjob.  you aren't going to get better lying down in the desert, unless you want to go meet jesus yourself.  

it is odd about the multi-part stranger quests ending the way they do.  seems kind of odd to go out to check something and not have to report back.

i do love that you can get multiple stranger quests and keep them going all at once.  that's a real nice improvement from gta 4.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 20, 2010, 03:32:31 PM

icon_eek icon_lol

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »

From the multiple stranger quests I have done it seems the one thing RDR is missing is a mental hospital.  Some of those people are F'in crazy.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 20, 2010, 02:59:33 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2010, 02:55:33 PM

one thing that's odd about the stranger quests is that they end so abruptly.  take the American Appetite ones, once you find what you're looking for you don't have to ride back with the info, you just get paid and it ends.

It's not over, though.  You're right that you don't have to go back to return anything, but I guess you can think of it as maybe she went off to look a little herself and then when the quest is ready to continue, she will show up again.  I have the next step on my map and will do that today when I play.

When I did the first part of american appetite, the stranger wasn't even in town when I went back.  I had to check my journal to find out that it would just continue later on.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »

Single Player...

How the hell do I duel?  I was trying to do it and read the tutorial all at once and I ended up dead with no idea what I was supposed to be doing... then I was dead and it cleared my Journal, so I couldn't read back on how to do it...

Can someone give a step by step?
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2010, 05:31:02 PM »

My Xbox gamertag is MurdoxJD.  I should be on this afternoon as I recover from surgery, and I'd be up for some private MP.  THe public MP drove me crazy last night with all the disappearing objects.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »

So rewatching on youtube... seems like to duel I just hit LT to draw, then I should be able to move the crosshair with RS, and pull RT each time the crosshair turns white?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 20, 2010, 05:19:02 PM

When I did the first part of american appetite, the stranger wasn't even in town when I went back.  I had to check my journal to find out that it would just continue later on.

Yeah, I know.  She wasn't just standing around day and night for you to report back to.  I assume (haven't done it yet) that now that she is back up on the map that I will talk to her and report to her my findings.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 20, 2010, 05:51:05 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 20, 2010, 05:19:02 PM

Yeah, I know.  She wasn't just standing around day and night for you to report back to.  I assume (haven't done it yet) that now that she is back up on the map that I will talk to her and report to her my findings.

Also I had another one where I saw a stranger and accidentally drew my weapon (but did not fire) and the game said because of an act of agression towards a stranger this mission was no longer available and that I could try again next time I am in the area.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »

Played for about 3 hours last night. So far so good. Although I hope some of the 'talking' lightens up soon. I know it is setting up the story for me, but it is making the game a bit slow.

As far as non-story game, I am loving it. Killed a bunch of shit, had my horse killed by a cougar and played some games. The environment looks great and sound is good, although the music gets a bit loud sometimes so I had to crank it down a notch.

Horses still seem to be the big mystery in the game. I really liked the 'stallion' and was trying to keep it. But after a save at one point a different horse was hitched outside. But I know I hitched the stallion before I saved. Oh well, at some point someone will figure out which horses are the best and I will hunt one down and break it.

LiveTAG: happydog
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »

Looking at the General Store, all the 3 Star ranked horses are either black or gold.

Also, horses "look" healthier the better than are. 1 Star horses are almost undead looking. So therefore, if you see a Black or Gold Horse who looks muscular as hell, its a good bet hes a rocking horse.

It seems there are super horses out there, including the Pale Rider horse from the movie (white with gray spots, etc).
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »

LOL, that's fucking awesome!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »

FYI - you do not need to lasso people to bring them back alive.

You can shoot their legs instead.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2010, 06:42:44 PM »

I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. Of course I waited for the sheriff to get a bit down the road and then I looted the bodies!  icon_twisted
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »

Quote from: happydog on May 20, 2010, 06:10:18 PM

Played for about 3 hours last night. So far so good. Although I hope some of the 'talking' lightens up soon. I know it is setting up the story for me, but it is making the game a bit slow.

As far as non-story game, I am loving it. Killed a bunch of shit, had my horse killed by a cougar and played some games. The environment looks great and sound is good, although the music gets a bit loud sometimes so I had to crank it down a notch.

Horses still seem to be the big mystery in the game. I really liked the 'stallion' and was trying to keep it. But after a save at one point a different horse was hitched outside. But I know I hitched the stallion before I saved. Oh well, at some point someone will figure out which horses are the best and I will hunt one down and break it.

I feel like the game started out really slow too. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 20, 2010, 06:32:48 PM

too bad their legs are nowhere near their head  icon_twisted

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »

I tried that last night and the guy still tried to run away by doing a sad looking limp-run. I followed closely behind on my horse, lasso twirling in the air for a good 15-20 seconds before hogtied him. I felt so menacing just following him on my horse while he tried to limp away.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »

I tried that quite a bit.  Popped the guy in the shin, he goes down.  He hobbles away, I blast him in the back of the thigh. He kneels and continues to shoot at me!  I pop him in the calf and he bleeds out and dies almost instantly.    Rope is the best way...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »

I'm also having trouble with this whole honor thing.  Some punk bitch tried to jack my horse, roping me off the thing and then trying to run away.  I whistled for my horse, he bucked off the horse thief, and then I rode him down and show him in the back.   Turns out that's worth -50 on the honor scale. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »

I've found something I hate. It is when I accidentally run someone over with my horse. If it's a woman she screams and gets me in trouble. If it's a guy then he gets up and shoots me. If I shoot back then I get the bounty on me. I don't see that as fair.

Also I once paid my bounty off and went outside and the lawman still attacked me. He was using his fists. I figure I'd just let him win and be done with it. HE KILLED ME with his fist! BS.

Still loving the game by a ton though.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »

Ok, I need to stop eating beans while playing before my coworkers kill me  icon_lol

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »

It is possible to outrun the law, but you need a good horse, a good lead on em and a good read of the land ahead. Otherwise it's just best to go far into the desert and just killin em where noone will see the bodies.

I highly recommend a trip out to thieves landing. The bandana and the lucky rabbits foot are cheap and useful   I was annoyed after losing. Shooting challenge (the birds were so far above my head I couldn't aim high enough and couldn't get any higher in time) so I donned the hood and got my money back.

Hark, I can confirm that the lethal range on the shotties is pretty short, as we saw last night. I had an outlaw on a balcony and peppered him with the double barrell without killing him until the 5th shot. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:05:01 PM by Caine » Logged

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 20, 2010, 07:27:05 PM

I've found something I hate. It is when I accidentally run someone over with my horse. If it's a woman she screams and gets me in trouble. If it's a guy then he gets up and shoots me. If I shoot back then I get the bounty on me. I don't see that as fair.

Also I once paid my bounty off and went outside and the lawman still attacked me. He was using his fists. I figure I'd just let him win and be done with it. HE KILLED ME with his fist! BS.

Still loving the game by a ton though.

I was prompted at one time to holster my gun and just stand there to give myself up. they kept friggin shooting = me dead. Lame.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »

Did you get the idea that shooting the legs works from the mission with the Marshall?  I kind of think it only worked in that case because the Marshall then hogties him...

Or maybe you just have to get to them really fast...

Rope seems to be the way to go.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »

Alright, you know those lists people compile about a game before it comes out with all the features expected?  Let's dissect one of them now that the game is out, shall we?

Side missions:
* Bounty Hunting
** Initiated by tearing a Wanted Poster from the wall
** Bounty is marked by a Red Skull on the mini map
** Most have a Dead or Alive option, with bringing them Alive netting a larger reward
** Incapacitate and hog tie a bounty to bring them in alive
** Kill them to collect the "Dead" reward
*** You have to bring in a piece of clothing or evidence from the dead.
** The more bounty missions you do the higher the rewards get and the more difficult they get.

Yep, all of this is true and in the game.

** Showing a preference for Bounty Hunting missions after Treasure Hunting ones results in the game offering more of them.
* Treasure Hunting

Nope, I don't notice this at all.  Bounty Hunting missions appear as they appear, without any real connection to treasure hunting.
** Initiated by simply searching
** Use a roughly drawn map to find a landmark near the treasure
** Search under stones for the treasure

Yep, that's about how it works.

** Can stumble upon a snake if you upturn the wrong stone

I've found three treasures, and there haven't been any fake stone piles hiding snakes.

** Treasure can include gold bars and additional maps
** Showing a preference for Treasure Hunting missions after Bounty Hunting ones results in the game offering more of them.

Treasure will always include a gold bar and always have an additional map.  That is also why this 'preference' for treasure hunting doesn't hold up.  You find the treasure, you get another map.

* Poker
* Blackjack
* Five-Finger Fillet
** Consists of pressing the face button flashed on screen quickly and accurately at an increasing pace
* Horseshoes
* Deputy Patrol
** Patrol a town at night with the aide of a guard dog
* Bull Riding
** Initiated by lassoing a bull

All in the game.

* Mugging
* Burglary
** Involves entering an NPC's house and stealing their possessions.

I'm not sure how to mug someone, and by burglarly, I assume you just walk into a building, find a chest, and take something in it.  I guess that's considered burglary.

* Cattle herding
* Hunting
** Furred animals can be skinned, feathered animals can be plucked
** Skinning leaves a mutilated carcass
** Skinning is done off camera, though it can be heard
** Hunting all forty animals nets a reward outfit
** Can purchase bait for use in hunting
* Plant gathering
** Initiated by picking plants and flowers

All in the game.

** Plants can be sold to doctors to make medicine

I don't think the game keeps track of this.  You can take the plants you find and sell them at the shop, but I don't think the game generates medicine from it.

* Bird Sharpshooting
** Initiated by shooting a vulture
** Prompts to shoot the rest of the pack within the time limit

I've come across a random person in the desert who wants you to try and shoot 3 birds in a time limit, but as far as starting the sharpshooter challenges, there is no time limit.

** Builds up fame
** Ascending levels

Yep.

* Bank Robbing
** Initiated by having a gun drawn in a bank

I've heard this exists, but I haven't seen it yet.

* Dueling
** Can't duel everybody (like old women), but you can duel other gunslingers

Yeah, this is in, but I'm not sure how to tell who you can duel and who you can't.  I haven't seen any real indicator about that.

•Every building is enterable.

Bzzzt.  Nope.  Most buildings are enterable, but not all of them.

•There are forty animals in the game. Every animal has its own AI.

This is a big part of the game for me.  I love the ecosystem created.

•Vultures will eat the remains of fallen foes.

I have seen vultures, but I have yet to see any doing anything other than flying around.

•Each NPC follows their own routine and way of a life. For example, one spends all day working in a blacksmith, then at closing time head off to the saloon for a couple drinks before going home.

I have seen people going out doing their work, but I haven't put this to the test yet.  I'll need to choose someone to follow for an in-game day and see exactly what they do.  If they do this though, it makes the game even more awesome for me.  smile

•Horses have personalities.

Sure, they react to the environment, loud noises, etc....

•Wild horses have to be lassoed, broken and saddled before riding. If you're unsuccessful at this the horse will buck you and you can get dragged. Any horse that isn't yours or hasn't been yours for very long will be a little wilder and more difficult to control.

I wouldn't say they're more difficult to control, they just lose stamina faster.

•The lasso has various uses including: tying up NPCs, capturing NPCs, pulling NPCs from horses, dragging NPCs behind your horse, Lassoing wild horses to break them and make them rideable, lassoing bulls for bull riding, and pulling an NPC towards you and disemboweling them with the knife.

Oooh, pulling riders from their horse.  That's something I hadn't thought about trying.  And pulling an NPC toward you to disembowl them with the knife?  Mmmm, that just sounds glorified.  You have to have the lasso equipped, and you don't pull someone toward you.  You can walk up to them though.  As soon as you switch from the lasso to the knife though, you're going to drop them from the lasso.

•Most bounty hunting missions have a Dead or Alive option, with bringing them Alive netting a larger reward.

Yep, that's in there.

Over-all, the game seems to hold up well to this pre-release hype list.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:39:47 PM by MaxSteele » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: