http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddle up! The Red Dead Redemption impressions thread.  (Read 46387 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »

Got it!! Heading home to install. Mount up people!!!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 04:06:42 AM »

At least you guys are doing something AWESOME. Last "midnight launch" I did was for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 04:27:51 AM »

got it, opened the box and I can walk again!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2010, 04:32:39 AM »

Wow...the closest EB had it going on. There were only around 30 folks there, one register was getting everyone paid in full before 12, then at 12 it was just a matter of handing them out. I left my place at 11:50 and was back home by 12:05...no complaints from me.

Just cleaned up my HD and am installing it now, so I guess I'll have some impressions by daylight. smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »

Heading out to grab it...and then head to bed. But I'm also up far earlier than when they open, so it's a net gain for me. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:35 AM »

I am very very jealous... Dont go to sleep people, Play and post! PLAY AND POST!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2010, 06:47:39 AM »

wow, free roam is fun.  we just did a bunch of co op missions and got some levels.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2010, 06:50:40 AM »

oh, and the graphics are AWESOME!  there's nothing like topping a ridge and seeing the land going on forever.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2010, 06:52:52 AM »

I need this game!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:52 AM »

taking a break to cook up some beans and have some whiskey before I give SP a shot.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »

one annoying thing:  the Rockstar Social Club and code unlock servers are down.  seriously Rockstar, WTF?  did you think no one was going to want to use their codes right away?

an interesting observation from tonight's midnight release:  I saw maybe 6 copies of Alan Wake getting taken off the shelf and just a few more copies of the new Prince of Persia game.  I wonder who in their respective companies thought it would be a good idea to launch on the same day as RDR.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

Alan Wake is pretty big imo. But I think a lot of people, like myself, are extremely caution of that game.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »

I just wanna play. Knowing my game is all alone, sitting in that cold, dirty UPS truck is tugging on my heart strings.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2010, 06:55:52 AM

taking a break to cook up some beans and have some whiskey before I give SP a shot.

the Blazing Saddles campfire scene now comes into mind when you mentioned beans

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »

I fear my kids will be without a father this weekned. I will don my cowboy hat, and ride the long lonesome droveroads, my only company my trusty sixshooter and a bottle of homebrew.

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »

I should have my sometime this evening.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »

Here's some questions I had about RDR that you early players could help me with:

How's the frame rate (on the PS3 version)?

Is the shooting like GTA4 or is it improved (not so sluggish for manual aim)? Assuming the frame rate is solid, which is the main thing that hurt GTA4's shooting. Or is the deadeye bullet time mode used as a crutch like lock on was in GTA4?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2010, 06:47:39 AM

wow, free roam is fun.  we just did a bunch of co op missions and got some levels.

What does leveling in co-op missions give you?  Is this the 8 people posse co-op mode you are talking about?
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 18, 2010, 11:59:46 AM

Here's some questions I had about RDR that you early players could help me with:

How's the frame rate (on the PS3 version)?

Is the shooting like GTA4 or is it improved (not so sluggish for manual aim)? Assuming the frame rate is solid, which is the main thing that hurt GTA4's shooting. Or is the deadeye bullet time mode used as a crutch like lock on was in GTA4?
I played a couple of hours single player and an hour mp last night and never noticed any kind of slow down.
Manual aiming is responsive and dead eye makes it much easier but I was thankful for it when 4 bandits were chasing me on horseback after I shot their leader for a bounty. Moving so fast I could never have hit them otherwise.  Sense of scope is amazing and production is incredible.  The gunplay is not as good as uncharted 2 but it is very fun, and I think I'll get better with time.  Definitely a GOTY contender and I've only done like 4 missions.  Any other ps3 specific questions or general ones?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 18, 2010, 01:35:07 PM

What does leveling in co-op missions give you?  Is this the 8 people posse co-op mode you are talking about?
you unlock different characters to play as, upgraded mounts, etc.
You start as a lady character with only a donkey.  Only thing I did not like was that after I leveled and could change my character, you have to back out of whatever lobby/game you are in to make changes, then rejoin a game.  Too used to changing my loadouts inbetween round of mw2 or on the fly in bc2 I guess.

Don't know what happened to the formatting here.  Hard to post from phone @ work.
Oh you unlock titles too like pilgrim or tenderfoot.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:45:29 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »

MOAR IMPRESSIONS! MOAR! MOAR!!!!

Seriously, I need to get through work today and I won't be able to hit an EB until 1:30 or so. So please entertain me with your incredible impressions.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

So what level do I need to be before I can play as the big fat Mexican guy in the sombrero?  This will directly impact my desire to play MP.

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 18, 2010, 02:01:50 PM

So what level do I need to be before I can play as the big fat Mexican guy in the sombrero?  This will directly impact my desire to play MP.
  icon_smile
not sure about that but I got to level 5 and had about 7-8 choices for character and unlocked 1 horse.

More impressions?  I'll expound on the great voice acting.  Spot on perfect.  It's also funny b/c I saw a review that cited the main character seems to just be along for the ride while other characters drive the story, and so far everyone keeps telling Marston, "you don't talk much do you?"
complaint is not really legit though.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »

I got it last night, but only played through the first segment (mostly story and tutorial).  So, really all I can comment on are the graphics and I have to say the game is beautiful.  I also love all the period costumes and talk, so this game will kick the crap out of GTA's modern setting for me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »

Picked up my PS3 copy last night (along with Alan Wake). Put in about 2 hours so far and I'm liking it a lot. The whole concept of an Western themed open world sandbox game really really appeals to me. I'm a big fan of spaghetti westerns so this game really tickles my fancy. The world, or what tiny piece I've seen so far, just oozes with that unique rustic charm that romanticized views of the old west always evokes.

The framerate has been good so far, but some of the textures are a bit muddled. Voice acting is great. Shooting mechanics feel good so far, you can pop in and out of cover using R1. There's some nice location based shooting as well where you can shoot a guy in the leg and he'll fall over clutching it or shooting his arm and seeing him drop his gun. Love the skinning bits - you get to see John go to work, then a nice little hairless carcass afterwards  icon_twisted

I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy just taking my time with this one, soaking in the whole 'cowboy experience'. I love the ability to just get on a horse and explore. Some of the random things I've encountered just riding around:

- guy riding through a field, being bucked by his horse, then chasing after it
- two lawmen chasing after a thief running towards a campsite, then shooting him dead
- a gang of bandits riding through the town square shooting in the air and raising hell, one of them dragging some poor soul behind him with his horse

I'm looking forward to: indians! (or maybe not) and using a lasso!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:24:04 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »

loving it so far, time for sleep now...
Arch_d
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 18, 2010, 02:26:25 PM

Hark played for about 10 hours straight... I took a bit of a break. Damage was on all night from what I can tell...

XboxLive - ArchDan37
God only knows when your word isn't pure
And the blood on your hands isn't yours
I won't believe any word that you tell
And I won't drink the blood if it spills
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

Quote from: Arch_d on May 18, 2010, 02:41:56 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 18, 2010, 02:26:25 PM

Hark played for about 10 hours straight... I took a bit of a break. Damage was on all night from what I can tell...

he'll have this one finished before I even get my feet dirty...

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »

Anyone know if you can lasso, then tie up a woman to the train tracks? Mustache twirling and maniacal laughing optional  Tongue

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »

Quote from: spigot on May 18, 2010, 03:29:19 PM

Anyone know if you can lasso, then tie up a woman to the train tracks? Mustache twirling and maniacal laughing optional  Tongue

Um, doing that very thing to a nun is actually one of the achievements in game. eek

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »

Does it have to be a nun?  

I assumed just doing that to any woman in general would work.

Dastardly
Place a hogtied woman on the train tracks, and witness her death by train.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »

tk-421 beat me to the draw. 

it was the article by the religious gamer who linked it to nuns only.  typical assumption fallacy on his part and a sign he didn't bother to check what the achievement actually said.  had he tossed a hooker on to the tracks instead, we'd be hearing about how rockstar is really a against prostitution instead.   Roll Eyes

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 18, 2010, 03:44:05 PM

had he tossed a hooker on to the tracks instead, we'd be hearing about how rockstar is really a against prostitution instead.   Roll Eyes

I thought that this had been demonstrated in their previous games.  biggrin

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Any more comments on the multiplayer would be welcomed.

In specific, some of the things I am interested to hear from GT members are:

1.  Ease of getting into free roam with friends?  Do you need to be invited, do you just launch into their "lobby" and start playing, etc...

2.  Once in a friend's free-roam, do you decide whose posse you are going to be in and join, or do you need to ask for an invite?  

3.  Free roam again:  Can you shoot anyone anytime, or is based strictly on your posse?  Can you be "unaffiliated" and just start shooting anyone?  Is their friendly fire among posse members?

4.  Do you have any sort of HUD manipulation?  If for some reason you wanted a completely blank HUD, can you turn off things like the minimap, etc...?

5.  How does experience seem to be calculated in free roam?  Do you have a separate avatar for free roam as compared to SP, or is it the same guy?

Thanks!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »

I haven't participated in any carnal acts yet. If the stagecoach is a rockin'?  icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 03:50:16 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on May 18, 2010, 01:39:15 PM

Quote from: skystride on May 18, 2010, 01:35:07 PM

you unlock different characters to play as, upgraded mounts, etc.
You start as a lady character with only a donkey. 

huh?  definitely didn't start out as a lady, did have a big ass though.  glad I got rid of it, the sound of it braying was driving my dogs crazy.  as for weapons, those you can change by hitting start then selecting weapons.

I also did some solo free roam last night.  I did an experiment: private matches give you XP and I cleared a bandit hideout on my own and got about 2400 xp.

Because I can,
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »

I was able to get about 3 hours of SP in last night and so far my impressions are mostly positive. Due to it's pedigree, I just can't help but compare it to GTAIV when writing about it.

Horse riding is not a simple point and go, it definitely take a bit of getting used to. They seem way too fast at a full gallop, yet feel just right at a canter or slower. Maneuvering at slow gaits can be a bit frustrating, but I bet it becomes easier with experience. Spurring your steed to hard will result in it bucking you the hell off it's back. One thing that surprised me is that the horse begins to 'trust' you with time and will perform better the more trust it has in you.

Gunplay will be familiar to anyone who's played GTA. It's a bit more refined though. The 'lock-on' (normal setting) requires you to be pretty accurate initially as the snap to target margin is tight. Even with Dead-Eye, taking down a mere five rowdy outlaws takes a bit of skill. I'm still kinda unsure of the duel mechanics...I've won two, but it's been more by sheer luck than any skill. I'll need to read up on it as the tutorial wasn't very clear to me. So far...gunplay is far less forgiving than GTA. Where I would go on a mad rampage and slaughter dozens as Nico, Marston will end up face down in the mud. There are tons of cover options...and they're needed.

Missions are set up just like GTA with the minimap, side missions, etc. The few story-line missions I've finished have been well done, excellent cutscenes, and they feel right for the character and the period. The other characters I've encountered so far have been more believable than GTA fare...there are some tongue-in-cheek caricatures, but they're not so over the top that they bust up the cinematic feel. One thing that kinda bugs me is that cutscene Marston is a gritty man with straightforward talk, but in gameplay he can become a hootin-n-hollrin Curly Bill...not always, but it seems out of character sometimes.

I've also had the chance to mess with some side missions as well as some mini-games...both are presented to you in great fashion and feel as much a part of the main story as well...the main story.  nod

One thing I'll say is that the games nudges you to be a reluctant good guy. If you go out into the world as a ruthless killer of men, women, and children...the story line will seem a bit jarring.

Other than the main points above:  Great graphics and sound overall...I could nit-pick, but nothing that takes away from the game. The couple of towns I've visited are full of life...people seem to go about with a purpose rather than just wandering around.

Not much I more I could comment on due to limited play.

Is it 'Grand Theft Palomino' as someone else called it? Yes...and no.

It's very much a Rockstar game in it's underlying mechanics. If you just don't like the way they drop you off and let you make your way, I doubt RDR will win you over unless you really enjoy westerns. If the GTAs didn't appeal to you due to it's ruthlessness and the way it encouraged you to do very bad things...this might be your way to enjoy their style of gameplay without the guilt.

Anyways..I look forward to spending more time with it later today.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:56:57 PM by Booner » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »

SP and MP XP are connected?  Or are you guys just all playing MP and leveling a character there (a la Diablo)?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 18, 2010, 03:53:49 PM

Gunplay will be familiar to anyone who's played GTA. It's a bit more refined though. The 'lock-on' (normal setting) requires you to be pretty accurate initially as the snap to target margin is tight. Even with Dead-Eye, taking down a mere five rowdy outlaws takes a bit of skill. I'm still kinda unsure of the duel mechanics...I've won two, but it's been more by sheer luck than any skill. I'll need to read up on it as the tutorial wasn't very clear to me. So far...gunplay is far less forgiving than GTA. Where I would go on a mad rampage and slaughter dozens as Nico, Marston will end up face down in the mud. There are tons of cover options...and they're needed.

you can turn the auto snap off if you don't want to be a greenhorn  Tongue  and yeah, the lawdogs can be quite brutal.  when all of us first fired up the game last night we found ourselves getting killed quite often by the law or the mexican army as we tried to sow our wild oats.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »

oh, and the third mission in the game is a race.

Spoiler for Hiden:
thankfully you don't have to win it! whether or not you're meant to win I don't know (there was quite a bit of rubberbanding of the other party involved and several bursts of speed that make me believe their horse had a V8 in it) and with the stamina mechanics I got my horse ticked off twice and figured I'd have to redo the whole damned thing but didn't.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: