http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 10:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred PLUS: October 29th  (Read 6272 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 10:53:56 PM »

According to the official Sacred website, Sacred PLUS, the free add-on expansion to Sacred, will be available for download very soon.
Sacred PLUS    05.10.2004

Hello everyone,

The most successful game of the year enters its next stage! Sacred Plus is the re-release of the action-based role-playing game Sacred.

Sacred Plus incorporates all of the feedback from the player-community since the first release of Sacred. This includes an improved multi-player experience, an optimized interface and completely revised balancing. Furthermore, this version contains many completely new features to make adventuring in Ancaria even more interesting

New features:

• Two new regions
• Two extensive main quests & sub-quests
• Five new adversaries
• One new enemy boss
• Six new armor sets
• Fifteen new types of weapons
• Includes all patches and updates to date

All these new features will be available as a download free of charge for all owners of the original version before the release of the new Plus edition.

The Sacred Team

And the new Plus edition is scheduled for release on October 29th so the free add-on should be out very soon.  I've been waiting to play this and this might be the bump I need.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:00:08 PM »

This is not meant as a dig, but what qualifies Sacred as "The most successful game of the year"?  Successful at what?  Where do companies come up with this?

I have never played Sacred, yet, so I don't know how good it is, so don't take my above question as a critisism of the game, but of the marketing.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:58:35 PM »

I think they can claim it was the most successful game of the year (of it's type) because it was the only game of it's type this year.  I can't think of another that was like it (same type as Diablo, Dungeon Seige, etc).
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:29:14 AM »

Quote from: "ericb"
I think they can claim it was the most successful game of the year (of it's type) because it was the only game of it's type this year.  I can't think of another that was like it (same type as Diablo, Dungeon Seige, etc).
Kult and Beyond Divinity both leap to mind.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gorath
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 03:21:23 AM »

This PR stuff was , as always, translated from German without Ascaron rechecking the facts.
Sacred is the most successful PC game in the German market this year, so their claim was correct before the translation.
150k in Germany, 350k rest of the world, both numbers still increasing and the game still at or near full price in most countries sounds like a huge hit for a relatively small developer. Sacred Plus, the add-on and the gold edition should push it over 1M.

Now playing:
The Moment of Silence
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 04:04:48 AM »

I am not sure if I am reading your post wrong or not. But sacred plus IS the free content. The retail expansion I believe is slated for early 2005.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 04:37:21 AM »

Hey Gorath!  Welcome!  We missed you.

And jersoc the Sacred PLUS expansion is free content but it also looks like on 10-29 they're going to box the whole thing up and re-released it.

At least that's how I read it.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 04:38:18 AM »

Spiffy.

I may have to install this once this comes out and give the game a whirl.

How does this work again?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 08:59:22 AM »

Seeing as how I came close to purchasing it the first go-around (when it was released), I'll probably have to pick it up this time   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 11:43:39 AM »

depward, it should be worth the money.

I have well over 100 hours into it myself and I don't even play MP.  smile

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 01:55:21 PM »

It is available now, I just checked the site.  It weighs in at 130 mb.  Good luck downloading it, the site is moving slow.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 04:49:31 PM »

Wow that was quicker than I expected.  I'll download it tonight.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »

You can download it here too:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/sacred/downloads/
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 05:16:39 PM »

Anyone know if you have to upgrade from 1.7 for this or can you apply it to any version (I'm assuming it's a patch in addition to all the other stuff).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 05:33:31 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Anyone know if you have to upgrade from 1.7 for this or can you apply it to any version (I'm assuming it's a patch in addition to all the other stuff).

Check out my first post:
• Includes all patches and updates to date

Looks like Sacred PLUS has everything you need.  Now which character should I play?  Hmmm...
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 08:16:06 PM »

Sooo, anybody care to comment on the "improved multi-player experience, an optimized interface and completely revised balancing" of Sacred Plus?  I'm wondering what they've really done to improve the gameplay, besides the new content...
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 09:00:27 PM »

Thanks warning for the heads up. I've got Sacred Plus and am playing it now.

Charlatan you DO have to upgrade to 1.7 before running Sacred Plus if you want all the new features. I got that straight from Mirko Worsley over at the Sacred Forums just a few minutes ago. He said that Sacred Plus simply adds features and has no effect on the patches.

Sorry to contradict you warning, but that's what Mirko said... just wanted to pass it on.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 09:05:19 PM »

Wow good catch Orgull.  The one with the patches must be the boxed re-release of the title under the (confusingly named) Sacred PLUS.

Not to be confused with the download which is also (confusingly named) Sacred PLUS.  Ugh.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 09:11:49 PM »

biggrin

BTW if you (like me) live in Canada and bought the retail version of Sacred you MUST install the english U.S. Sacred Plus update NOT the english U.K. Sacred Plus update.

Here's two links to Q&A I asked about over at the Sacred Forums

Patch?
http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=22296

U.K. vs. U.S.?
http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=22291

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 09:55:18 PM »

Weird Orgull, I just saw a patch where Miko said it was NOT incremental and you could install over 1.0 as well as 1.7. Here is the thread:

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=22296

where he said:

---
Plus is NOT an incremental download. It is a standalone download. It can be installed on 1.0 as much as it can be installed on 1.7. Hope this helps

DOH same thread you referenced.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 10:08:39 PM »

You're quite right Charlatan, you CAN install Sacred Plus with any level of patch BUT my comment was that if you want ALL the new features you'll need to patch it to 1.7 to get them AND the Scared Plus content.

1.7 seems to be a very good improvement over 1.66 IMHO.

Burwil
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 10:14:12 PM »

It's still a frustratingly buggy game.  Biggest problem for me are quests.....some are complex enough that require multiple pointers on a big map to show you step by step where to complete the quest.  Unfortunately, this is totally FUBARed.  The pointers vanish or point to wrong locations.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 10:38:16 PM »

True Burwil, but I work around it by NEVER taking more than one quest at a time... seems to work perfectly for me ever since I started doing that. And of course I save before I accept any quest, so if it's bugged, I reload it.

The game's still worth playing despite the bugs IMHO.

Burwil
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 02:28:56 AM »

Well I booted up the game to give it another shot after installing the plus edition.  It's as FUBARed as ever.  I'm on the third leg of the elements quest.  When I start off (right next to a portal) the quest marker is in one place.....when I port out the marker changes location and when I port back to where I started the marker is still in another location.  I have no other active quests.  A showstopping bug since I cannot tell where I need to go next.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 02:45:03 AM »

Uh, Burwil... isn't the elements quest way far into the game? You have to start a new campaign as savegames won't work from 1.7 to Plus 1.8. Your characters can be exported no problem, but you have to start a new campaign because the old savegame style and the new quest maker system are completely incompatible... sorry. Mirko said if you tried to load a savegame your quests would all be bugged badly.

You can confirm this at the Sacred Forums in the Sacred Plus General Discussion.

Burwil
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 04:50:22 AM »

There is conflicting info on this in the official forums.  The readme contains no info......another wonderful mistake from the developers.  Doesn't really matter in my case since I stopped playing because the bug I mentioned occured as early as the first patch.  None of the subsequent patches fixed it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004, 05:36:23 AM »

Okay I think I figured this out and it sucks.  I started a game of Sacred, using the 1.7 patch, *last night*.  I played as a Gladiator and only played about 30 minutes.  Today Sacred PLUS was released and I downloaded it and installed it.  I thought it wouldn't be a problem as I was only 30 minutes into the game.  Wrong.

My poor gladiator couldn't walk into houses and a quest was broken very near the beginning.  Fortunately I'm only an hour or so into play.  I checked on the official forums and this is what I found and it's *not* in the Readme.

If you have an existing save game, *even* if it's with the 1.7 patch as mine was, you cannot install the Sacred PLUS expansion and continue your save game.  You will have bugs.  Like a Gladiator who won't fit through doors.

You must start a new game.  Which is fine for me because I was only an hour into it.  But I feel sorry for the people who downloaded the 1.7 patch last month and put 20-30 hours into the game only to have to start from the beginning again.

Companies like this and horror stories like mine are the reason why PC gaming is edging ever closer to dodo-land.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 06:08:52 AM »

I'm glad I read this thread before installing Plus, since I've played way too much to even think of restarting.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gorath
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004, 07:21:14 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Hey Gorath!  Welcome!  We missed you.

Thanks. smile Took me some time to find out what´s going on.

Back on topic. I find it absolutely normal that a content update makes old savegames incompatible. The world is bigger, new monster types are available ... the gamestate is more complex.
Of course Ascaron could have spent 2 minutes more on the documentation to clarify things.

jersoc, I wanted to say that the extended shelf life of all the Sacred incarmations (Sacred, Sacred Plus (=Sacred + content patch), add-on, 2nd add-on (?) and Sacred gold (and platinum in case of another add-on)) will probably push the game over the 1M-sold-units mark, which is the barrier for a major hit.
Actually quite good for a company which went bankrupt 2 years ago and had to fire their complete graphics department.

Now playing:
The Moment of Silence
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004, 11:05:46 AM »

Glad I played the demo to death & didn't get into the released game - I downloaded and installed 1.7 and + and am ready to go on a new adventure! Woot me!

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 11:57:43 AM »

It's not that big a deal with me.  I plan on exporting my character and starting over since the old save games aren't reliable...but that is something that should have been listed at the top of the readme...but this oversight is typical of Sacred and the patches released for it.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2004, 02:02:34 PM »

I'm about ready to dive into Diablo 2 again with a new character.  I really love the character building, treasure hunting, and boss fights.  Do you recommend that I pick up Sacred instead?  This game seems a lot like D2.  

Plain and simple, is it worthy or should I stick with D2?
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2004, 02:22:26 PM »

Its 'different' than Diablo2... in a good way.

Personally, I think I'd vomit if I booted up another game of D2x in the next year having played it so much.

Sacred is similar but has enough differences to keep you interested. There is alot more focus on size of the world and number of quests, rather than simply re-running the same ole areas for loot. Graphics are nice, you get horses, can build custom combos of your skills.... etc etc. Just be prepared to run into a bug here or there.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2004, 04:42:34 PM »

Sacred tries very hard to add lots of excellent gameplay ideas that Diablo 2 lacked (as mentioned above) but to be blunt, Diablo 2 is a well-polished game with a slick interface and immediate risk/reward gameplay. Sacred is a spectacular buggy mess with mountains of unclear and unexplained stats that don't work the way they're supposed to and IMHO the first 10 hours or so of gameplay is unfun and imbalanced.

To me, Sacred is great in the mid-game, ok in the endgame and terrible in the beginning. Diablo is great in the beginning, ok in the mid-game and great in the endagme.

It's worth playing as it's one of the only good RPG's released this year, but if you start comparing it with the polish and style of Diablo 2, you may be dissapointed.

LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 01:59:59 AM »

One of the main reasons I didn't buy this game was because of all the negative feedback about respawns.  My understanding was that if you cleared an area out, then their shouln't be any more spawning.  However, a lot of people said that this was broken and that it resulted in way to much respawning.  Does anyone know if this has been fixed or improved upon?
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 02:26:08 PM »

In the 1.7 patch, creatures that respawn at lower levels no longer attack you on sight, so you can just waltz around at will as long as the creatures a grey for you. But they do still respawn, at least for me they do.

shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 02:56:52 PM »

Dunno. Personally I didn't find the respawning irritating even in the 1.0 version. Look at it this way, Sacred is at its a core hack'n'slash RPG more than a story based adventure, so having respawning monsters just means that if the some area is too difficult, you can go back to an old area to get more exp and loot. It's a feature, not a wart.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »

Quote from: "shang"
Dunno. Personally I didn't find the respawning irritating even in the 1.0 version. Look at it this way, Sacred is at its a core hack'n'slash RPG more than a story based adventure, so having respawning monsters just means that if the some area is too difficult, you can go back to an old area to get more exp and loot. It's a feature, not a wart.

It was maddening quite often though.  If you ran back to town becuase you were getting mobbed then tried to make it past a place where you were all the monsters would be back.  Well if they were killing you the first time you aren't going to do much better the second - and you will have less money becuase you bough healing...

I am interested to see how the patch makes things play.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 07:16:52 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "shang"

It was maddening quite often though.  If you ran back to town becuase you were getting mobbed then tried to make it past a place where you were all the monsters would be back.  Well if they were killing you the first time you aren't going to do much better the second - and you will have less money becuase you bough healing...

I am interested to see how the patch makes things play.

Buy a horse.  Ride it.  Ignore all the respawns as you gallop by.  It's that simple.

morlac00 on PSN
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2004, 01:09:22 AM »

OK maybe I'm an idiot but I can't find a list of keyboard commands anywhere.  Anyone have a listing?

Also is there a way to just cycle through weapons and abilities rather than having to press the number key or click the icon at the bottom of the screen.  Diablo 2 let you do this via the mousewheel but I can't figure it out here.  It's very irritating to have to move my hand or the mouse to select a different skill because it interrupts combat.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: