http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:27:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred 2: Ice & Blood  (Read 4198 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »

Sacred 2 is getting an expansion pack, Ice & Blood.  the new Dragonmage sounds mysteriously appealing.  I was holding off on Sacred 2 for a summer buy to have something to play during the summer gaming drought, but now I may hold off to see if they release a Gold edition like they did when the first game's expansion came out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:35:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2009, 06:31:54 PM

Sacred 2 is getting an expansion pack, Ice & Blood.  the new Dragonmage sounds mysteriously appealing.  I was holding off on Sacred 2 for a summer buy to have something to play during the summer gaming drought, but now I may hold off to see if they release a Gold edition like they did when the first game's expansion came out.

i wouldn't worry about waiting for the expansion ceekay.  there's more than enough gaming to be had just with the 6 characters they have now. 

and look on the bright side, you can dress up the female characters in skimpy clothing, or power armor, in the case of the seraphim

a dragonmage could be a fun character to play through as well.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »

Sadly, and maybe further proof devs shouldn't bank a company's future on Diablo clones [note that another company is taking over the forum and assets, and apparently the expansion is in good enough shape to be finalized for release, assuming they have a publisher]

The current situation about Sacred 2 [Ascaron is bankrupt and the studio is shutting down]
http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=64333
Dear Community,

From Saturday the 01 of August 2009 on, Koch Media will take over the forum.
Due of the bankruptcy of Ascaron and the subsidiary company of Ascaron: Studio 2, both companies will close the doors. Ascaron did it some weeks ago, Studio 2 who continued the work for the PC version of the Addon did it this Friday. The Studio 2 devs and both community manager (Christiane Clarenbach and me) will have to go.

The thread where the devs and the community manager say "goodbye" is here: http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.c...ad.php?t=64252

The game will continue under the flag of DeepSilver (Koch Media). They made the tech. support for the game and will take from now on also the community management.

The Addon (PC version) is almost finished, a hand full of devs are still there and will work at the last bits required. The German release date is the 28.August 2009. We have no date for the international release yet.

The console version of the Addon is still planned, see here the quote from Heiko tom Felde, Christiane posted here: "The current status on the things to come for the console versions."

A new Community Manger from Koch Media will come and I'm sure he will introduce himself in few days.
I'm not sure what the fate's going to be of the servers that hosted the multiplayer portion of the game and provided the machmaking as it were, or if Koch will be able to afford to continue that.

I don't think it's an accident that every Diablo clone I've liked was made by a dev who eventually shut down (French dev Delphine's Darkstone, Iron Lore's Titan Quest, now this). I think Silverfall's dev may also have had the same fate, I've lost track.

In a way, Diablo clone, wannabe whatever is "Fool's Gold."  icon_cry

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:16:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

Really sucks. Sacred 2 is honestly a great game. frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 04, 2009, 05:11:19 PM

I don't think it's an accident that every Diablo clone I've liked was made by a dev who eventually shut down (French dev Delphine's Darkstone, Iron Lore's Titan Quest, now this). I think Silverfall's dev may also have had the same fate, I've lost track.

I imagine that's partly because none of these games were even close to as good as Diablo II was.  For me, all the hack-n-slashers that have come since have been missing that tough-to-define "it" factor (personality, atmosphere, artistic direction, story, music...whatever) that made the whole Diablo II experience so much fun.  Frankly, Sacred II and Titan Quest were two of the most generic,  boring, cliched, soulless games I've have ever played.   

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

I had more fun with Titan Quest than I did with Diablo I and II combined.  I didnt' really see what the fuss was with D2, didn't care for it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »

Seconded, I love Sacred 2, its a great game, that I have been pimping to anyone who'd listen, and even bought two copies myself...all to no avail though it seems now :-)

A new one
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 05, 2009, 02:44:23 PM

Seconded, I love Sacred 2, its a great game, that I have been pimping to anyone who'd listen, and even bought two copies myself...all to no avail though it seems now :-)

I have it on the PC and am still even considering re-buying it for the 360. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »

fwiw, I felt Titan Quest's initial release was buggy and so-so, maybe even a disaster in terms of the game having to make Iron Lore's name in the marketplace (I blame THQ for rushing the release when it clearly needed more time in the oven); I felt the expansion's fixes, improvements and much more interesting quests/environments made a huge difference in the game (and got so addicted it led to my infamous wrist problem that almost required surgery), but you only get one chance to make a good first impression. The lack of a secure battle.net type server (which they clearly couldn't afford to run) was a killer, and that's at least something the Sacred games offered.

I never got truly addicted to either Sacred game, but what I did like was the sheer vastness and openness of the environments, which almost makes them feel like an MMO. I didn't quite like the animations as much as I did in Diablo I/II or TQ. I think what turned me off about Sacred II a bit was the rotating camera -- I never got comfortable with it (Darkstone had a similarly rotating camera in 1999 but didn't bother me as much), and I kept losing my sense of direction in relation to the overhead map.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 03:29:20 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 05, 2009, 02:16:10 PM

I had more fun with Titan Quest than I did with Diablo I and II combined.  I didnt' really see what the fuss was with D2, didn't care for it.

Same boat here, though I really dug Diablo 1 at the time.  2 not soo much, that good awful jungle level can go f itself.

I enjoyed Sacred 1 quite a bit though the lack of more than 3 zoom levels finally drove me away as all three of them sucked smile.  The vast open ended world plus horses kept me playing way longer than I normally would have with the camera issues. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:31:19 AM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 05, 2009, 02:11:59 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on August 04, 2009, 05:11:19 PM

I imagine that's partly because none of these games were even close to as good as Diablo II was.  For me, all the hack-n-slashers that have come since have been missing that tough-to-define "it" factor (personality, atmosphere, artistic direction, story, music...whatever) that made the whole Diablo II experience so much fun.  Frankly, Sacred II and Titan Quest were two of the most generic,  boring, cliched, soulless games I've have ever played.   

I like Sacred 2 and Titan Quest. But they do pale in comparison to the experience I got from Diablo 2 and honestly, I'd say it is random maps. The fact that every playthrough was a different experience made a big difference for me. It also allowed them to make a more focused game - Sacred 2's biggest problem for me is that it is really almost too big. I can't imagine wanting to go back and play through at a higher difficulty level like I did with D2.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 05:53:44 PM »

here's a video of one of the new areas in the expansion.

Because I can,
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »

A source of sadness for me is that there's still no US distributor for the expansion (though talks are ongoing, from what little I hear/read).  That means, according to the powers that be, to get this expansion to play nicely with your current Sacred 2, you may need to have the EU (Deep Silver) version installed.  Then again I find it hard to imagine they won't find someone, somewhere to publish the game over here by the time it comes out. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »

Cant steam do it? They published the first one? One should think they were pretty international

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 02:12:46 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 23, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Cant steam do it? They published the first one? One should think they were pretty international

I think Stardock would be a good choice, so it's on Impulse.  or hell, just sell it digitally on their own.

as long as it's compatible with the I got off of Impulse.

Because I can,
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »

Well, I have hope that they'll get it out one way or another - I love the game.  Yeah, it isn't Diablo III, but I really don't view it in the same way despite sharing the same hack & slash genre.  Sacred II is much more of a casual-yet-long-playing game, giving you some exploration opportunities, almost countless short & optional quests, and plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 08:13:28 AM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on September 23, 2009, 03:04:25 PM

Well, I have hope that they'll get it out one way or another - I love the game.  Yeah, it isn't Diablo III, but I really don't view it in the same way despite sharing the same hack & slash genre.  Sacred II is much more of a casual-yet-long-playing game, giving you some exploration opportunities, almost countless short & optional quests, and plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Good description here.  I'm a big fan, and will be hoping the expansion becomes available to us U.S. folks.  I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »

I saw it for $20 at EB games yesterday,  I should have snagged it frown

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »

Sacred2 is an awesome game....I'm very sad they seem to have discontinued support for the Xbox version due to their montary problems, since my computer wont run it satisfactory...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 27, 2009, 08:13:28 AM

Quote from: Dan_Theman on September 23, 2009, 03:04:25 PM

Good description here.  I'm a big fan, and will be hoping the expansion becomes available to us U.S. folks.  I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

GoGamer has the import version listed for $29.90.

Because I can,
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »

You might be able to get the import for $18.99 from Amazon.  Just make sure you're getting the Deep Silver (EU) version, not the Atar/CDV (US) version.

edit - I'm still going to hold out hope that the expansion comes to our shores by conventional means.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:44:25 AM by Dan_Theman » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 03:51:54 AM »

a new mount.  that looks sick.

Because I can,
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »

Anyone know if the expansion was released in the US?  I saw an article that said it was released on Steam in November, but I could not find it on Steam.

I thought Sacred 2 was a great game and I'd like the play the expansion.  Any thoughts?

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »

I haven't seen anything else about the expansion coming out; has anyone heard if it was coming at all or is it dead?

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 07:28:36 AM »

the company went under, didnt they?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 20, 2010, 07:28:36 AM

the company went under, didnt they?

they did, but it was released in Europe (and it only works with the European version of the game) and Deep Silver now owns the rights so I figured maybe they'd release it in the US via digital outlets.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »

oh, maybe they are trying to find a US publisher then.
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 20, 2010, 07:12:03 AM

I haven't seen anything else about the expansion coming out; has anyone heard if it was coming at all or is it dead?

I remember seeing it on Steam back in November then I went back to check out the price again a few weeks later and it had been pulled off the site.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »

Yep - it's European only, and from what I read in the forums there are no current plans to bring it to the U.S. by Deep Silver, although it hasn't been ruled out.

If you want the expansion, you need the European import of the base game along with Ice & Blood because it won't work with the U.S. base game.  And yeah, that majorly sucks.

Gogamer used to carry the (I) version for $20 + shipping, but it's out of stock now.  Considering that Ascaron is out of business, I'm guessing they won't get any more to sell but one can never tell.  You also don't want to risk buying a used copy due to the online DRM activation (the game is played without a disc check).  It seems the best way to go is buying a download copy of the UK version directly from Deep Silver (£19.99), and you might want to invest in a download extension that lets you download again for a year (£5.95).  No, this isn't Impulse or Steam that we're talking about.  Then you can download Ice & Blood for another £19.99 (+ £5.95 if you feel the need).

If you've got it in you to go that extra distance for the expansion, then I'm impressed.  I don't, and therefore will look on with envy while you enjoy your dragon mage, et al.  

EDIT - that said, there is a seller on EBay with an excellent score that will ship the Gold version worldwide.  It seems like it's £24.37 shipped to the U.S., but I don't know whether it's a good idea or not.  That's not a terrible price, all told (about $40).  Note: requires Paypal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:38:51 PM by Dan_Theman » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:20 AM »

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=97941377&extid=March0210

boom? both for 30 bucks. tempting even though i already sacred 2. 30 bucks is about the price of an XP anyways.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »

Gogamer has it for $17.90 now in their 48 hour madness.  For PC.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 02:02:38 AM »

Required: Expansion requires Sacred 2 UK version to install.

what, what
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »

An FYI for anyone like me who really enjoyed the start of Sacred 2 but decided to wait for the expansion that never came to really get into it, I decided to pick up Ice & Blood from the UK site Deep Silver.

I have the US D2D version, but with the tips on how to get Sacred 2 (US) working with Ice and Blood (UK)-http://forum.sacred2.com/showthread.php?t=67312- it works fine, playing the Dragon Mage now and enjoying that class a lot. The game also plays a lot smoother now and no crashes after several hours of playing.

The camera has a lot more control settings to get it just right, so not fighting that anymore. I like the Carrier Imp mule you get right away, very handy. Haven't been to any of the new areas yet so can't comment on those and I'm sure there's a bunch of other new things I haven't seen yet.

Overall definitely worth the bit of a hassle it took to get it and makes S2 a better game for sure .
This should keep me going now till Diablo 3 hits(if released this year Roll Eyes).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »

Thanks!! I didn't know you could purchase it digitally! I have the steam version , so hopefully it will work with that, even though they removed Sacred 2 from Steam for some reason

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 16, 2011, 04:07:16 PM

Thanks!! I didn't know you could purchase it digitally! I have the steam version , so hopefully it will work with that, even though they removed Sacred 2 from Steam for some reason

must be region specific raz.

it's available in the US right now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »

guess what just hit Steam.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 04:19:17 AM »

I played a ton of Sacred 2 on the 360.  $9 is a pretty good deal for the game plus the expansion.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »

That's a lot of gaming for 9 bucks.  Sacred 2 is a big game.  Thanks for the update.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: