http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:09:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 'Call of Pripyat'  (Read 8230 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »

I can't knock the emmissions too much; one of them occurred as I was heading back to the ship, so I stayed inside with others and waited for it to pass. I took a few peeks during the worst of it to see the pretty lights and it's definitely not anything you want to be exposed to. After it was over I found 10 dead stalkers around the ship and got some damn nice loot, including a better scanner and a great AR. Too bad all the ammo is 7.62 and not 5.45. I didn't sell much but it's worth noting that you can get the tech to lower his repair prices and get some cash from selling 3 and 4 bars damaged guns.

Too bad I'd like to revert the save to before that mission you talked about, but I think I'm going to see where the bandit side leads this time.

There are a lot more artifacts in non-obvious places this time around. Love that and having a personal storage locker. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 17, 2010, 12:24:31 AM

There are a lot more artifacts in non-obvious places this time around. Love that and having a personal storage locker. 

I found that totally by accident, didn't realize there was one this time around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2010, 03:57:24 AM »

I love the emissions. Really sends you scrambling for cover, and there is an imminent sense of danger. I've survived 7 of them now.
Completed 17 missions. I think I just got into the second map now..? I can't remember the name of it, though I was just there 10 minutes ago. Yanov Station or something like that? A train station. Had to pay a guy to teleport me there. For all I know it could just be a part of the first area that I hadn't discovered yet.

Lots of exploration, punctuated by brief moments of high intensity battles, and just plain terror at night. I did the "kill the sleeping bloodsuckers" (or whatever they're called) mission at night, and about crapped my pants when it turned out a couple of them got away, found the exit, and one of them ran right past me and headed into the hills, and the other attacked me. Took me totally by surprise. About fell out of my chair when that happened.

I bought a bunch (20--they are very expensive) of sniper rounds in anticipation of getting hold of a real sniper rifle at some point. Currently, I have a scoped assault rifle set to single-shot, and it's great for headshots, but it's shit at distance, and I'm always running out of ammo for it, so I keep it mostly in reserve.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:14 AM »

I need to play these soon.  I have all three sitting in my Steam queue just waiting.  I love that I paid $27 for all three.  Bioshock games first though...

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2010, 07:10:02 AM »

yeah, the opening AR's are really crappy at range.  you don't notice it so much until you scope it.  not recommend on the ak's btw.  just awful.  you can watch the shots drift out into a huge pattern while scoped, even when crouched.  of course, you can mod it for accuracy, but you'll find better stuff before too long.  i grabbed a great AR (a 92 or some such) but it's 5 bars damaged, so i'm holding it until later.

you can pay people to take you about the zone, or if they happen to go somewhere, you can tag along for free (awesome option btw).  afaik, the whole zone is load free and there's only a latter section that's 'point-of-no-return' story related.  you get an option to free play afterwards, but i;m not sure how that works.  one of the guys on the official forums has 3 months in game already.  of course, he's got 3+ months in clear sky and a whopping 8 months in-game in soc.   icon_eek with snow capped hills and all sorts of random ai encounters.  he's also shown what he's accumulated and it's pretty crazy how much you can get your hands on. 

i've found a few caches and it's easily one of the most improved aspects beyond the first two.  you can actually find good loot in them without having to do a mission/pay for location, just by stumbling around and thinking like a stalker.  'if i wanted to hide this, where would i do so without making it obvious?'

i need to finish up with the console games so i can get back into the zone.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »

I'm really not liking how inaccurate/low damage the weapons seem this time around.  I've had shots go totally wild at point blank range, and I ended up putting 6 bullets into a dog before it went down (confirmed hits with the yelping and blood spray).

Because I can,
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »

are there any good, or "must have" mods out yet?
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on February 17, 2010, 03:57:24 AM

I bought a bunch (20--they are very expensive) of sniper rounds in anticipation of getting hold of a real sniper rifle at some point. Currently, I have a scoped assault rifle set to single-shot, and it's great for headshots, but it's shit at distance, and I'm always running out of ammo for it, so I keep it mostly in reserve.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You can get a Vintar in the first map. Do some side missions and a stash will be revealed at a burned out house. The Vintar is up on the roof.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2010, 01:31:40 AM »

Quote from: frost on February 17, 2010, 03:15:14 PM

are there any good, or "must have" mods out yet?

they've got a forum for mods but I really haven't had a chance to dig through it yet.

Because I can,
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2010, 01:39:01 AM »

Quote from: tok on February 17, 2010, 11:39:42 PM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on February 17, 2010, 03:57:24 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
You can get a Vintar in the first map. Do some side missions and a stash will be revealed at a burned out house. The Vintar is up on the roof.

Thanks, tok!
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »

Sorry I can't be more specific as to what side mission... I did nearly all of them! I think the stash was revealed by giving Beard an artifact.

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »

Quote from: tok on February 18, 2010, 10:28:45 AM

Sorry I can't be more specific as to what side mission... I did nearly all of them! I think the stash was revealed by giving Beard an artifact.

That's perfectly fine. I'm just happy knowing there is one to look for. I'd still like to find it on my own, so your hint was perfect.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2010, 08:03:17 PM »

I've been waiting for the next adventure in the zone and just fired this up finally for about 1/2 hour to see how it plays.

Looking good so far but I've noticed that weapons and armor tend to fall apart even quicker than in the first stalker installment.  Is this pretty much true or is it just that you start with crappy weapons?

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Yeah, they deteriorate pretty quick IMO.
What I've been wondering is this: Do weapons deteriorate even if they are in your backpack unused? I assumed they wouldn't, so I wasn't paying much attention to them, and still used them on occasion, so I'm not real sure, but it seemed like when I went in to get my primary weapon repaired, the rest of my (hardly-used) weapons needed a fair amount of repair work as well. I'm just not clear on whether this was due to my using them occasionally, or if they just deteriorate sitting in your backpack. If they're unused in your backpack, it really doesn't make sense that they'd deteriorate, or at least not very much.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2010, 01:01:33 AM »

I noticed the seemingly quicker deterioration too.  you'd think they'd have given a military guy better equipment to start off with  icon_wink

Because I can,
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »

Also, am I the only one who has experienced the disappearing doctor? In the first safehouse, there was a doctor who would sit in his room, and he was always there to fix me up.

Then one day, it was really nice and sunshiney, and I returned from a mission to find everyone standing around outside the ship, soaking up the rays and relaxing. I thought it was cool. So I went inside to dump some stuff in my stash. While I was inside, I heard a gun battle erupt outside. Then it stopped. Everyone eventually wandered back inside and took up the usual positions...except the doctor. He did not return. I'm assuming he got killed in the battle? I couldn't find his body though. I've done many missions since then, and he has never returned, meaning I now have to use my medkits and anti-rads.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2010, 01:10:25 AM »

Any place to pick this up other than Amazon or Target?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on February 19, 2010, 01:04:48 AM

Also, am I the only one who has experienced the disappearing doctor? In the first safehouse, there was a doctor who would sit in his room, and he was always there to fix me up.

Then one day, it was really nice and sunshiney, and I returned from a mission to find everyone standing around outside the ship, soaking up the rays and relaxing. I thought it was cool. So I went inside to dump some stuff in my stash. While I was inside, I heard a gun battle erupt outside. Then it stopped. Everyone eventually wandered back inside and took up the usual positions...except the doctor. He did not return. I'm assuming he got killed in the battle? I couldn't find his body though. I've done many missions since then, and he has never returned, meaning I now have to use my medkits and anti-rads.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe the doctors story involves the Locate Missing STALKERs side mission. I know why the doctor is no longer around in my game, is it possible you did the mission but missed the connection.  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:23 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on February 19, 2010, 01:10:25 AM

I bought mine off of Steam.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »

time to get back to this, can't wait to see how it runs on my new rig.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2010, 11:10:26 PM »

Not read this thread yet. Bought the game Yesterday. Waiting till I finish up Metro 2033 first. Hope this one is fun. And it will be on my new system too. Stalker was on my old one with a 6800GT. Had to turn lighting down or off back then.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 19, 2010, 01:33:23 AM

Quote from: Kagath on February 19, 2010, 01:10:25 AM

I bought mine off of Steam.

I also saw it at Target the other day if you want the fancy 'collectors edition'.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 01, 2010, 11:10:26 PM

Not read this thread yet. Bought the game Yesterday. Waiting till I finish up Metro 2033 first. Hope this one is fun. And it will be on my new system too. Stalker was on my old one with a 6800GT. Had to turn lighting down or off back then.

For me, just after the child level in Metro and having finishe SCOP. Metro C and barely hanging on to that: SCOP A+. SCOP made me mad when it was finished because I wanted the story to continue and there to be new places to explore.  Very few games do that to me.
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »

I was also sad to have Call of Pripyat end. It lets you continue playing as an open world after that, but its not quite the same playing without having a reason to push the story forward.

The good news is that the Complete mod for Clear Sky was just released. Anyone who played this for Shadow of Chernobyl knows how completely it transformed the game. I'm playing through it now and having a great time.
The game looks a lot better than Call of Pripyat yet still runs smoother. You'd think it was the newer game if you saw them side by side.

http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2010/01/mod-clear-sky-complete.html

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2010, 02:07:54 AM »

BTW for those interested in Clear Sky..its on Steam these days for under $10. I dont plan to get it  myself after hearing about the bad ai..and since I own Stalker and This new one.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2010, 02:30:51 AM »

alright, CoP officially runs nice and smooth... decided to start playing ruthless and gunned down those Stalkers you first run into with headshots to the back of the head.  too bad most of their equipment was crap and unsellable.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2010, 04:01:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 04, 2010, 02:30:51 AM

alright, CoP officially runs nice and smooth... decided to start playing ruthless and gunned down those Stalkers you first run into with headshots to the back of the head.  too bad most of their equipment was crap and unsellable.
You can get the stuff repaired and sell it for a small profit, but it is a fair amount of effort for slight gain.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on April 04, 2010, 04:01:58 AM

You can get the stuff repaired and sell it for a small profit, but it is a fair amount of effort for slight gain.

yeah, spend a few hundred to make a hundred.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 04, 2010, 04:09:47 AM

No, that would be losing money. When I played the cost of repair was less than what I could sell the stuff for, just not very much less.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »

The more missions you do for the repair guy, the cheaper his prices. You can also lower them a bit with vodka, but don't give him too many. I just saved many of the guns I found until then.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on April 04, 2010, 04:03:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 04, 2010, 04:09:47 AM

No, that would be losing money. When I played the cost of repair was less than what I could sell the stuff for, just not very much less.

that's what I meant (albeit not very clear  icon_lol):  you spend 300 rubles to repair something so you can sell it for 400 rubles.  100 ruble profit.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:56 AM »

It depends on the item and probably how damaged it was.  I was just playing CoP with a friend and he repaired an item, only to sell it for less than the repair cost.

It's a bit silly that vendors won't take lower quality items though, considering the nature of the zone, there should be a good market for spare gun parts that the damaged guns can be broken down into.  Most of the stuff you find can't be sold at all.

It's also partly the reason why I'll be using the SMRTER mod for my play through, one of the changes it adds is that vendors will take guns of a much power quality.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »

new MP map is out now.

people actually play MP?

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2010, 08:19:00 PM

new MP map is out now.

people actually play MP?

+1     That was my reaction to that news.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »

alright, time to give this one a final go as I've overloaded on adventure games and need a shooter.  have any decent mods been released for it yet?

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2010, 02:39:45 AM »

Finished up Metro 2033 last night and just started Stalker CoP. The first thought I had of starting it was UGH the graphics are worse than the first game. And I have everything maxed out. I'm now going to look for mods for it. I could have sworn I saw 2 good mods for it somewhere.

EDIT: I'll try to edit this and ad the mods I find as I go.

1. Atmosfear . Video . I think I'll grab this one for sure.

2. [url=http://stalker.filefront.com/file/SMRTER_Pripyat;108615]SMRTER
as posted above. S.M.R.T.R options pack .From reading online it works fine with Atmosfear.

3. Absolute Texture Packs . Not sure if I need these with the other mods installed or not. they look good. but they may just be redundant. Nature Pack , Structures Pack , Scopes Pack
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:29:04 AM by Daehawk » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2010, 02:43:30 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 05, 2010, 05:11:56 AM

It's also partly the reason why I'll be using the SMRTER mod for my play through, one of the changes it adds is that vendors will take guns of a much power quality.

I'll have to check out that one, missed it before I asked about mods.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2010, 05:31:21 AM »

Not sure installing those mods was a good idea or not. It took away my good rifle and gave me a sawed off to start with. And now it's night and jet black out. Maybe I shoulda stuck with the vanilla game. Not sure. Anyone else play it or play it with mods?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2010, 05:42:43 AM »

must resist killing those first 3 guys you run into for their loot....

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »

I don't get it. I thought the graphics were just fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: