http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 06:15:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 4 - Nuclear HOAX :(  (Read 3421 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 09, 2013, 09:13:01 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 09, 2013, 08:55:03 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 06, 2013, 07:57:41 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on December 06, 2013, 06:56:11 PM

See I don't buy this more/better tech will allow them to make a better game stuff. If they couldn't do better wiith the restrictions imposed by hardware, having more power will only allow them to continue to be sloppy.

While I understand where you're coming from with that argument, you have no idea how absurdly restrictive the limitations from the previous console generation were. There's a damn good reason why only Bethesda has been making this kind of game up until now. It's because only they were insane enough to try, and even succeed. Now that the worst restrictions are lifted with this new console generation, we'll see other games in this genre. The Witcher 3 is the first one out.

Their games are sloppy on Pc (always have been) as well so console power does not have anything to with it. 

Actually, it has everything to do with it. The PC versions of Bethesda's games are just upscaled versions of the console games. They are still designed around the console restrictions. Porting a game to a PC doesn't magically fix issues introduced in order to solve basic design problems.

So the awesome computing power of the Xbox er Xbox360 no that's the Xbone will finally enable Bethesda to release a non sloppy buggy game!  Yep that's it.  Finally! all these games and consoles but this is the one!  Promise.

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 09, 2013, 09:32:55 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 09, 2013, 09:13:01 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 09, 2013, 08:55:03 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 06, 2013, 07:57:41 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on December 06, 2013, 06:56:11 PM

See I don't buy this more/better tech will allow them to make a better game stuff. If they couldn't do better wiith the restrictions imposed by hardware, having more power will only allow them to continue to be sloppy.

While I understand where you're coming from with that argument, you have no idea how absurdly restrictive the limitations from the previous console generation were. There's a damn good reason why only Bethesda has been making this kind of game up until now. It's because only they were insane enough to try, and even succeed. Now that the worst restrictions are lifted with this new console generation, we'll see other games in this genre. The Witcher 3 is the first one out.

Their games are sloppy on Pc (always have been) as well so console power does not have anything to with it. 

Actually, it has everything to do with it. The PC versions of Bethesda's games are just upscaled versions of the console games. They are still designed around the console restrictions. Porting a game to a PC doesn't magically fix issues introduced in order to solve basic design problems.

So the awesome computing power of the Xbox er Xbox360 no that's the Xbone will finally enable Bethesda to release a non sloppy buggy game!  Yep that's it.  Finally! all these games and consoles but this is the one!  Promise.

Spare me the sarcasm.

It won't save them from bugs, but it will save them from having such tight constraints with system resources that the smallest little ripple causes a tsunami.

If you want to learn more about the reason things are like this, look into the memory restrictions on Xbox 360 and PS3. You don't know how bad it is until you realize that developers even have to restrict the amount of written text in games because even a single paragraph extra could push them over the limit. Regular games can work around these issues much, much, MUCH easier than a huge open world RPG.

But you're clearly hellbent on believing that Bethesda simply doesn't care, and that their ranks are filled with amateurs. As a developer that mindset makes me roll my eyes in frustration.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 09, 2013, 09:42:00 PM

Spare me the sarcasm.

It won't save them from bugs, but it will save them from having such tight constraints with system resources that the smallest little ripple causes a tsunami.

If you want to learn more about the reason things are like this, look into the memory restrictions on Xbox 360 and PS3. You don't know how bad it is until you realize that developers even have to restrict the amount of written text in games because even a single paragraph extra could push them over the limit. Regular games can work around these issues much, much, MUCH easier than a huge open world RPG.

But you're clearly hellbent on believing that Bethesda simply doesn't care, and that their ranks are filled with amateurs. As a developer that mindset makes me roll my eyes in frustration.

Roll away!

Get off your I'm a Developer high horse.  All the extra HP will do is create more feature bloat to take away whatever gains they had from the previous system.  What was the power advantage from Xbox to 360?  Why did this issue not go away then?  I would guess because along with every increase in raw power you have increases in graphic fidelity, physics, Higher FPS, less loading screens, etc.  Bethesda pushes consoles to their limit but can't automagically make them as good as PC's.  Face it Bethesda makes sloppy games that the mod community fix up.  It's ok.  I still love them and their games.  Hell I upgrade and buy Pc's to play them.

Edit to Add: you even admitted it won't save them from bugs! which was the entire point I was making!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:11:03 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2013, 05:38:38 AM »

If you weren't interested in learning anything, why even discuss the topic? I'm telling you that RAM is the core of the issue, and you're telling me that increased RAM will just lead to feature bloat. That tells me that you have no idea how RAM works from a developer perspective, and you're refusing to listen to someone who does. That's too bad for you, because I'm done discussing this. Go ahead with your smear campaign against Bethesda if you like. Most people who know what they're talking about will laugh at your opinion.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

TiLT, read his words. He's not smearing anything... Bethsoft does produce some buggy software, and while more powerful consoles with new things to program for will become bring in new features, it doesn't change their track record over the multiple generations of almost-done software.

+RAM != bug fix

I've enjoyed my time in their worlds (frankly I've had to endure until they clicked). You've got quite the uphill battle to prove they release bug free games, and while their work is nothing short of impressive when it comes to working inside hardware constrained consoles.

I almost put Bethesda in the same category as Phantagram when it comes to final product - I simply expect weird issues to pop up.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »

Read again. It's not about them releasing bug-free or bug-ridden games. His claim is that increased console resources will just cause Bethesda to push the goalposts to the point where they will make just as many and as serious bugs in the future, with the implication that they are incompetent developers. If all he was saying is that Bethesda's games tend to be buggy, that would be fine. Instead he's using his own lack of knowledge about the subject to make broad claims about their developers' capabilities with hardware limits that he also doesn't understand. When informed about the realities of these restrictions from someone in the same kind of position as these developers, I'm told to get off my "developer high horse", further cementing his disinterest in anything except his own unfounded theories. As someone who has also worked under tight restrictions in game development, I find his accusations of incompetence insulting.

Kathode used to be active on these forums. I wonder what he would have had to say about morlac's claims.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

System power does make some coding easier as you can strip away code meant to fit things within those limits, our shuffle resources around to hide issues.

To be brutally honest, all of you sound more miffed and ass sore over Bethesda than anything else. So much so that you are unwilling to even give a thought to what is a fine argument.

It seriously sounds like the worst ranting we saw in the console war threads. Okay, we get it, Bethesda does some shit work. Call them sloppy, sure, but don't call them lazy. But you know why they keep all that buggy code? Because it still works. It runs on these 7 year old systems and probably doesn't take a lot of resources, that's why the code stays in.

Good hardware with simpler features does mean cleaner code. Maybe not in Bethesda's case, but when we're started this argument it was as much about the general improvement, including Bethesda.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:07:27 PM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »

One thing I've been saying since we first heard about the massively increased memory on the new generation of consoles is that the games that will benefit the most from this will be open-world RPGs like Bethesda's games. Gone are the days of having to manage NPCs moving between maps (indoors vs outdoors, as there probably won't be any loading screens between these two any more), preserving object states with minimal memory footprints, simple AI that has to go into a "low-powered" mode when the game thinks you aren't looking, limited physics, and NPC density restrictions. No longer will optimization have to be so tight that trying to fix a bug will break everything. No longer will the games be left in such a restrictive environment that nothing can truly fix it for that platform (as with the PS3 version of Skyrim, which was pretty much unfixable by anyone due to the lack of, and complexity of, memory).

Depending on platform, developers will now have access to 5-6 GB of RAM, maybe even more. To put the enormity of this into perspective, consider that pretty much no game released on PC so far (excluding the latest next-gen releases) has used more than roughly 1.5 GB of system memory at most, with video RAM (typically 256 or 512 MB) used for textures. Open world RPGs were "impossible" to do on the previous generations of hardware, but Bethesda was ambitious enough to do it anyway. People loved them for it, but some (as we're seeing here) refused to understand the extreme restrictions imposed upon them by hardware that was never built to accommodate such software.

The less "cheating" you have to do to code a game, the more stable it will be by default. The console versions of Bethesda games crashing is most likely a result of memory trouble, such as trying to access a memory location that, due to optimization, ended up being used for something else than expected at the time. This is no longer a concern. There's no longer any need to fit a cube into a circular hole. This is not at all comparable to, say, the transition between Morrowind on the Xbox and Oblivion on the Xbox 360. Neither console had anywhere near enough RAM to really handle this kind of game. The Xbox One and PS4 do, and by a wide margin to boot.

Will future Bethesda games contain bugs? Of course! They'll be the same kinds of bugs you see in games from other developers. Serious crash bugs and erratic, buggy features however? Those will for the most part be a thing of the past. The reason they showed up before is gone.

This also means that Bethesda will start to see competition. They've been alone on their throne up until now because no other developer was really stupid enough to try to do what they did on the hardware that was available. "Open worlds" from competitors were either not RPGs or contained plenty of artificial restrictions in the form of invisible walls or limited game mechanics and AI. The barrier between making a regular shooter and an open world RPG will now become far smaller, and companies like Ubisoft and Electronic Arts will be pretty much guaranteed to try their hands at the genre.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 10, 2013, 01:24:17 PM

Read again. It's not about them releasing bug-free or bug-ridden games. His claim is that increased console resources will just cause Bethesda to push the goalposts to the point where they will make just as many and as serious bugs in the future, with the implication that they are incompetent developers. If all he was saying is that Bethesda's games tend to be buggy, that would be fine. Instead he's using his own lack of knowledge about the subject to make broad claims about their developers' capabilities with hardware limits that he also doesn't understand. When informed about the realities of these restrictions from someone in the same kind of position as these developers, I'm told to get off my "developer high horse", further cementing his disinterest in anything except his own unfounded theories. As someone who has also worked under tight restrictions in game development, I find his accusations of incompetence insulting.

Kathode used to be active on these forums. I wonder what he would have had to say about morlac's claims.

That is not what I am saying at all, you keep moving the goal post!  

Reread this :  
"See I don't buy this more/better tech will allow them to make a better game stuff. If they couldn't do better wiith the restrictions imposed by hardware, having more power will only allow them to continue to be sloppy.

Their games are sloppy on Pc (always have been) as well so console power does not have anything to with it.  Which is why he truthfully said : " Anyway,  it is the mods that ultimately make these game better but those aren't on consoles."  In other words no amount of extra console power can save Bethesda from making a sloppy game.  I would never consider playing one of their games on console even If I bought a used Xbox to just to play Morrowind.  smile.  I wisely got a PC capable a year later and modded that sucker up!  "

You keep claiming that more RAM power equates to unsloppy programming.  You have no basis for this other than to keep asserting that extra RAM will be this magic fix all.  This has ALWAYS been about sloppy programming aka BUGS.  So again what was the RAM increase from Xbox to 360?  Then what was it from 360 to XBOX one?  Which was a higher increase?  How will more RAM equate to less bugs?  You have never answered this except top say I'm right and your wrong.  I never called them lazy or incompetent I just agreed their games were 'sloppy' which may not be the best term.  They make crazy ambitious games with awesome worlds to explore but thye are usually bug filled and always have been.  I am cool with that because bugs don't generally scare me if the game is fun and theirs always are for me.  I hope things change with this generation but history says otherwise...that is all I have been asserting.

Edit to add:  You finally answered how RAM will help, thanks it is interesting!
Other impossibly made open world games :  Two worlds 1 & 2, Red Dead Redemption, Grand theft series, Dead Island, Deus Ex, Saints Row, Far Cry 2 & 3, Mercenaries, I am sure I am forgetting more.  Now Bethesda games are huge but other people can pull it off.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:18:45 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 10, 2013, 03:13:03 PM

You keep claiming that more RAM power equates to unsloppy programming.  You have no basis for this other than to keep asserting that extra RAM will be this magic fix all.

My basis is as an experienced programmer who has spent years of his life programming games. What's your basis?

So again what was the RAM increase from Xbox to 360?

64 MB to 512 MB, some of which was reserved for the OS in both cases, and neither of which is enough for this type of game.

Then what was it from 360 to XBOX one?

512 MB to 8 GB.

Which was a higher increase?

360 to Xbox One by a wide margin, no matter if you look at it in terms of percentages or actual megabytes.

How will more RAM equate to less bugs?

Now you're asking a good question! smile I frankly don't have a good answer, as it all depends on implementation and ambition. What I can tell you is that the 5-6 GB developers will have this generation is way, way above the level where they would be needlessly constricted.

Edit: Oops, misread your question. Thought it was "how much more RAM will equate to less bugs". Now my answer makes no sense. The answer to your actual question has been answered by me in previous posts. It's a huge topic though. I've barely scratched the surface with my replies.

You have never answered this except top say I'm right and your wrong.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying you've got a lack of knowledge about the subject that you turn to hateful comments towards the developers at Bethesda, and you react poorly to someone who's trying to explain why your claims are problematic.

I never called them lazy or incompetent I just agreed their games were 'sloppy' which may not be the best term.

Agreed. It's a term that very clearly implies lazy and incompetent. If that's not what you meant, I'll accept that explanation.

They make crazy ambitious games with awesome worlds to explore but thye are usually bug filled and always have been.

Also agreed.

I hope things change with this generation but history says otherwise...that is all I have been asserting.

And I'm telling you that there are things about the new generation that makes history not really apply here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:24:04 PM by TiLT » Logged
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »

There we go, Thanks Tilt.  So a roughly twice the RAM increase from Last gen to this, that is certainly significant and exciting!  I apologize for the high horse comment I was just frustrated.  Also, I was not being hateful to Bethesda, I am sure they are well aware of the bugs their games are filled with.  Plus as the consumer I care not for why they are there (hardware or software related) just that they are there.  That being said as bitchy as I may sound they keep getting my money for anything they put out.

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

No problem man! We're all friends here. Well, most of us anyway. slywink
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »

If you have a minute and feel like it could you expand on what you think more RAM will mean for open world games moving forward?  Besides the obvious loading screens. Well even that a little, seamless dungeon and town entry?  Not so much from a developer perspective but from a gameplay perspective for the end user?  I have not been paying much attention to the new Gen of consoles due to just getting a new PC finally and having zero chance of talking wife into a new console as well.  However, if they are really going to be that more powerful than last gen I am very intrigued and may have to sell a kidney or something smile

morlac00 on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »

Serious crash bugs and erratic, buggy features however? Those will for the most part be a thing of the past. The reason they showed up before is gone.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I think the reason for the bugs is the sheer size and variances in the game world over hardware constraints. Yes, more resources will allow them to not have to worry about every notch in their belt that they can suck in to squeeze past certain limitations and having to use `tricks`- and having seamless (not seemless) transitions between interior vs. exteriors might be expected to go away but may not for other reasons.

Consider they may still do this to be able to get by sheer building footprint in the outside world - if you run around a castle, it`s not fun. If the castle is 1/4 smaller it wouldn`t be noticable from the outside and it might be less arduous. Game design is about stringing together compelling moments, and the longer the string, the more likely you are to lose your audience.

While they may not NEED to do this for processing and resource issues, it may still be there as the cost to transition may be less an interruption than not having Tardis-like properties on your interior structures. That sort of seam is an expected event as opposed to say needing to rent a horse simply to get to the back door of a castle.

Open world gaming is either risky and buggy, or safe and boring. Bethsoft have done an excellent job of balancing it, but they do tend to lean to the buggy side.

I will play their next game(s), and I do love some of the games they make though I`ve found that sometimes they take a little time to warm up. Going into that purchase though? I don`t think for a minute it will be a bump-free ride.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:26:33 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 10, 2013, 03:45:57 PM

If you have a minute and feel like it could you expand on what you think more RAM will mean for open world games moving forward?  Besides the obvious loading screens. Well even that a little, seamless dungeon and town entry?  Not so much from a developer perspective but from a gameplay perspective for the end user?  I have not been paying much attention to the new Gen of consoles due to just getting a new PC finally and having zero chance of talking wife into a new console as well.  However, if they are really going to be that more powerful than last gen I am very intrigued and may have to sell a kidney or something smile

Apart from more stability, there's an endless amount of things that can be improved this generation. Part of the excitement comes from all the possibilities right now, possibilities that might surprise most of us when we see them.

The most obvious thing people talk about when it comes to a new generation of hardware is graphics, but that's not where the biggest leap is this time around, for the first time in console history. Graphics will get better too, of course. Better textures, more detailed 3D models, better resolution, massive particle systems, better effects... The list goes on, but these are mostly minor changes. The bigger things are more subtle.

Have you ever noticed how little variance there is between animations for NPCs in games? You can have a screen filled with NPCs, but each one of them will usually share the same skeleton, which in 3D is the object used to animate other objects. These skeletons tend to take up a lot of memory, which is why the sharing is done to begin with. Imagine a city in the next Elder Scrolls game. Imagine that there are far more NPCs in it than in previous games in the series. Now imagine that male and female NPCs have different animations. Argonians have their own animations as well, as do elves and Khajit. The differences are subtle but important. There's more animations for each of them as well. No longer do they just blindly move about the town. They may participate in all kinds of things as they go about their business. They can now have the animation detail that has so far only been reserved for player characters. They can react to their environment, like Drake does in Uncharted 3 when he gets close to a wall and places his hand on it. They can react to each other. Of course, a lot of this depends on how much time and effort Bethesda is willing to spend on this particular kind of feature, but the difference from before is that there is no longer any technical reason why they can't do all this.

Then there's sound. Sound is possibly the area of gaming that has seen the biggest sacrifices this last generation. The more ambitious the game, the lower the sound quality. We've suffered through 22khz, heavily compressed sound effects for too long, and there haven't even been a lot of them. Instead of a blanket ambient track when you're walking through a forest, imagine if each plant rustles audibly in the wind. What if that bird you hear isn't just a sound effect built into the ambient background track, but is actually present as an object you can see and hear and maybe even interact with (hunting anyone?). This kind of thing won't impress anyone on screenshots, but it'll dramatically increase immersion. The only thing that has been standing in the way is, you guessed it, RAM to keep all these sounds available.

More objects can be made available as actual physics objects in the world, as the game can now store a whole lot more object information. Previously anything you dropped on the ground was an optimization problem as it had to be kept track of in a very limited pool of memory. This has been the cause of multiple crash bugs in Bethesda games. Not only will this no longer pose a problem, but more objects can have the same kind of behavior as the objects we typically think of as interactable in a Bethesda game. Wooden fences can topple under force, trees can break and tumble down cliffs, and so on. This requires some CPU as well for the physics, but RAM will no longer be the primary bottleneck.

Mods could finally become a reality on consoles. With more available memory there would be room for custom user content. It's a bit of a pipe dream yet, but now we can at least have a sliver of hope that it could happen.

In the same vein, the games could be more expandable. Adding new skills (to name a random example of a game system) through DLC, patches or expansions could have been very limited in earlier games since even unused skill "slots" in the game's code would have to be accounted for by the memory. It still has to be, but it no longer has to be in the way of something else, so this expandability will cost the developers very little.

Content streaming would be much less of a problem. Where before the game would have to very carefully load art assets in and out of memory (from disk) in order to keep the most immediately needed assets readily available, now they can keep a lot more around without being so extreme about the optimization. This means less popup on your screen, less artifacts as you turn around quickly. It means faster travel would be possible, such as flying freely at great speed and height. It's not just from a gameplay perspective that spells like Fly and Levitate have gradually disappeared from the Elder Scrolls series. It's also because the engines have become less and less flexible as the demands on the consoles' hardware have increased.

You'd see much more variety in the game world, particularly among NPCs. There would be far less need to duplicate bodies, faces, equipment and so on, allowing each NPC to instead feel like more of an individual.

Written text and spoken voices both would be less restricted. Detailed game instructions could be made available to the player instantly at the press of a button. Spoken dialogue between NPCs would be richer and more varied, with less risk of the player becoming too familiar with repeated lines. Game concepts could be better described in-game than what they are currently, as even keeping something as basic as GUI text around in memory has been a problem before, whereas it won't be in this new generation.

The list goes on and on. I've just mentioned things as they come to mind here. A lot of what I've mentioned might not be features that Bethesda would consider important to spend time and money on, but judging from their ambitious way of designing games, I think they might do so anyway.

Regardless, of all the game genres available to us, open-world RPGs like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are the games that will benefit the most from the new generation of hardware. We'll probably have to wait for a year or more to see the true effects of this in actual games, but it will come. It has to.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »

and some of those features are already being implemented in the games either out on the market now or are being shown in previews.  the random NPC generation from DR3, improved sound design and enemy AI in MGS V, larger gameworld in Witcher 3, animations and detail in The Division, etc.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »

Tilt,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up!  I need to sell a kidney now.

morlac00 on PSN
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 10, 2013, 06:01:29 PM

Tilt,

you might try CeeKay on that, I hear he wants a third so he can sit playing games for longer periods without needing to pee.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 10, 2013, 06:01:29 PM

Tilt,

PC versions of these games will benefit from the same enhancements, btw. The PC versions have been held back by their games being designed for the old consoles so far.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 10, 2013, 06:05:42 PM

you might try CeeKay on that, I hear he wants a third so he can sit playing games for longer periods without needing to pee.
I just use adult diapers.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »

or a potted plant if out of those.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »

Tilt, do you work in the industry or do you just read a shit ton of information on it all?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 10, 2013, 07:01:02 PM

Tilt, do you work in the industry or do you just read a shit ton of information on it all?

I was wondering this as well,he always knows his shit,or at least seems to..most of it's all Greek to me Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 10, 2013, 05:58:58 PM

and some of those features are already being implemented in the games either out on the market now or are being shown in previews.  the random NPC generation from DR3, improved sound design and enemy AI in MGS V, larger gameworld in Witcher 3, animations and detail in The Division, etc.
gaming sure is going to get interesting.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 10, 2013, 07:17:08 PM

Quote from: Ridah on December 10, 2013, 07:01:02 PM

I was wondering this as well,he always knows his shit,or at least seems to..most of it's all Greek to me Tongue

Heh, thanks! I work as a system developer (ie. programmer), and I ran my own game company for 4 years. Most of what I know comes from simply being extraordinarily passionate about my hobby though. I like to dig deep.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

I think the DR3 is not in reference to NPC`s, but simply for the Zombies. There are random NPCs, but they could all be doing the same thing for all you know. The random ones all stand up high and call for help, swinging at da zombies.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »

TiLT has Greek shit?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2013, 02:02:53 AM »

16x of a RAM increase from PS3/360 to PS4/XB1

Drastically simplified CPU and overall architecture to be much like multi-core PCs, but also like a fixed PC spec.

Another big change is that all consoles have hard drives in their default spec, and also have large capacity bluray drives. That's more unique content at high quality that can be packed in the disc and stored on the hard drive.

I'm lucky. I get to work on the unity engine, whereas Tilt, I think, mostly had to code one from scratch.

You can fault Bethesda a lot. There is a concept called KS, or Known Shippable, when running through a list of bugs. Most devs know about the bugs they ship with, but ship with them anyway because eventually you just have to. They just shipped with more that people can run into, but left them in because most of those bugs just resulted in silly and crazy stuff.

A great example in the change in hardware spec overall is if you go look at Watchdogs' PC hardware requirements. They are essentially the same specs these new consoles. They're mostly making the game prettier, but the game does have a whole plethora of gameplay improvements.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 05:15:16 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 11, 2013, 02:02:53 AM

I'm lucky. I get to work on the unity engine, whereas Tilt, I think, mostly had to code one from scratch.

Yup. We used an existing sound library and a comprehensive network library (that we modified so heavily that some of our improvements were added to the library itself by the author), but the rest was built from the ground up. Had I started for myself again today, I would have used Unity.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »

I think a good example of all this is the PS3 Skyrim issues. Due to the way the engine saved object states, either objects in your inventory or in the world in general would have to be saved, so for instance, that sweet roll you dropped on the floor? It has to save that state somewhere so that when you return, it's still there. So each time something is done, in the game world, wether it's object related or quest progress or completion,  it gets saved to a save file, a save file which grows exponentionally. At one point, I remember they had to release a patch for the PS3 version to reduce the bloat of those files by recalculating something or other. Imagine carrying a backpack that you keep stuffing things into. Everything you add eventually slows you down. You delete a few save files or throw your backpack away and you're already moving faster.

Anyway, all this to say that the PS3 didn't deal with the bloat very well. Here's hoping that better architecture will help them find a better solution to this.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:18:18 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

Why do none of you people work in the exciting world of hiring voice over actors?!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2013, 04:28:32 PM

Why do none of you people work in the exciting world of hiring voice over actors?!

If you speak faroese I'm in the market for one doing voicework on a few commerical movies :-)

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 11, 2013, 05:09:04 PM

If you speak faroese I'm in the market for one doing voicework on a few commerical movies :-)

I don't even know what that is!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2013, 07:08:29 PM

Faroese is an Insular Nordic language spoken as a native language by about 66,000 people, 45,000 of whom reside on the Faroe Islands and 21,000 in other areas, mainly Denmark. It is one of four languages descended from the Old West Norse language spoken in the Middle Ages, the others being Norwegian, Icelandic, and the extinct Norn, which is thought to have been mutually intelligible with Faroese. Faroese and Icelandic, its closest extant relative, are not mutually intelligible in speech, but the written languages resemble each other quite closely, largely owing to Faroese's etymological orthography.

duh.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »

Leaked Documents Reveal That Fallout 4 Is Real, Set In Boston

Still upset about that massive Fallout 4 hoax? Here's some good news for you: The next entry in Bethesda's post-apocalyptic RPG series is real, it's in development right now, and, as rumored, it appears to be set in Boston, according to casting documents obtained by Kotaku.

Two weeks ago, a Kotaku reader sent me several documents from a casting call for a project code-named Institute. The casting documents, which I've been able to confirm are real, include scripts, character descriptions, and other details about the next Fallout, and although the word Fallout does not appear in these scripts, there are several references to Fallout's setting and locations. (The casting director for this project also worked on other Bethesda games, like Dishonored and Skyrim.)

This is the first confirmation we've received that the next Fallout game is in the works—although it's been generally assumed that Bethesda Game Studios, the development studio behind Fallout 3, has been working on a new Fallout since completing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim back in 2011, Bethesda has yet to announce the new game in any form. In 2012, rumors circulated that Bethesda employees were scouting the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston for an upcoming Fallout game, but other than that, news has been thin.

Yet the next Fallout remains one of the world's most anticipated games, and a few weeks ago, when an apparent teaser website called TheSurvivor2299 popped up on Reddit, people went crazy. The site, which was crafted as if it were an alternate reality game, hinted at a Fallout 4 announcement through a trickle of hidden messages and plot details, revealed through morse code and other cyphers. The sheer level of detail made the website seem real to some observers, but Bethesda wouldn't comment one way or another.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »

Another Snowden leak ?

A new one
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »

Woo Boston!  I hope we get more Dunwich Building style quests.  My favorite bit of 3, and the appropriate location for it.

Also be a shame if this isn't at PAX East in some way.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2013, 07:11:28 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2013, 07:08:29 PM

Faroese is an Insular Nordic language spoken as a native language by about 66,000 people, 45,000 of whom reside on the Faroe Islands and 21,000 in other areas, mainly Denmark. It is one of four languages descended from the Old West Norse language spoken in the Middle Ages, the others being Norwegian, Icelandic, and the extinct Norn, which is thought to have been mutually intelligible with Faroese. Faroese and Icelandic, its closest extant relative, are not mutually intelligible in speech, but the written languages resemble each other quite closely, largely owing to Faroese's etymological orthography.

duh.

Oh, Faroese.  I thought he said Faroise.  You can understand my confusion.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »

so, the hoax was just a distraction from the actual leak.  I bet the /r/fallout gang is going crazy again.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

They actually already planted info that Fallout 4 would be in Boston within New Vegas and Fallout 3.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: