http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 05:03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor: 2009 Bioware MMO is based in KotOR universe  (Read 2911 times)
fyedaddy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 30, 2007, 02:06:24 PM

I hope all you MMO lovers are happy.  We are going to get yet another MMONSPM Massively Multiplier Online No Story Pay Monthly game with a bunch of people running around and leveling ad infinitum.  Disgusting.  puke

F*** Bioware & LucasArts for this decision.  Stupid.  I really wish MMO's would die a sudden and violent death.

Yes, I'm pissed.

I agree, Star. We should drown our sorrows in a game of 2K8 hockey!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »

Starshifter, I think your rage is misdirected (at least at Bioware).  If it wasn't an MMO then Biioware probably wouldn't be making it at all.  They were trying to get out of the licensed IP business post-KOTOR but I imagine the additional visibility that a Star Wars license could give them in the WoW-dominated MMORPG field caused them to make an exception to that rule.  I'm sure Bioware turned them down for a single player KOTOR 3 so it's not like a Bioware-developed single player KOTOR game would have been in the cards anyway. 
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 30, 2007, 02:13:15 PM

Starshifter, I think your rage is misdirected (at least at Bioware).  If it wasn't an MMO then Biioware probably wouldn't be making it at all.  They were trying to get out of the licensed IP business post-KOTOR but I imagine the additional visibility that a Star Wars license could give them in the WoW-dominated MMORPG field caused them to make an exception to that rule.  I'm sure Bioware turned them down for a single player KOTOR 3 so it's not like a Bioware-developed single player KOTOR game would have been in the cards anyway. 

I'm just venting.  I so want a KOTOR 3 that it hurts and I always hated MMO's.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 30, 2007, 02:06:24 PM

I hope all you MMO lovers are happy.  We are going to get yet another MMONSPM Massively Multiplier Online No Story Pay Monthly game with a bunch of people running around and leveling ad infinitum.  Disgusting.  puke

F*** Bioware & LucasArts for this decision.  Stupid.  I really wish MMO's would die a sudden and violent death.

Yes, I'm pissed.

I agree.  I would have loved a next-gen continuation of the best Star Wars story in the last 20 years.  If it turns into an MMO, then I will lose all interest.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »

I won't buy another MMO after my 2 year crack binge with WoW....but I'll enjoy looking at screenshots and watching videos.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »

I for one will be all over this.  I know some people hate MMO's because they feel it's just a leveling grind with no story, but I would suggest too many people are caught up in thinking WoW when they hear MMO.  I for one am still a consistent EQ2 player and the thing that keeps me going IS the storyline.  It's the one MMO with deep storylines and quest that make sense and make the world even more fun to explore.  I would suggest some of you give that a shot and look specifically at the storylines.

With Bioware's reputation for quality and engaging story, i am expecting an even better EQ2 in the Star Wars universe.  I for one can't wait.  This is the type of game that would make me upgrade my computer.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »

Bioware's announcement today is just that they're working on an "interactive entertainment product" with Lucasarts:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=86540
So, it could just as well be an arcade "Whack-A-Mole" game with Star Wars characters as the moles, as it could be an MMO/mmorpg.  paranoid

Bioware isn't stupid, and I'd like to think that if they do indeed step into the MMO chasm, that they'll be well aware of SWG's problems and not do anything remotely like it. There really are too many mmorpgs (PC-wise) for too few players in the market, and I'll bet you'll see more of them implode (Auto Assault), get canceled (Gods & Heroes), go free (Arch Lords, RF Online) as the market consolidates and company CEOs/CFOs realize it's not all that easy to make a profit when you're burning it all away on free updates, patches, server infrastructure and battling subscriber churn. On the console side, nobody has proven any real, major demand for it.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2007, 05:33:38 PM

Bioware isn't stupid, and I'd like to think that if they do indeed step into the MMO chasm, that they'll be well aware of SWG's problems and not do anything remotely like it.

thats the beauty of it,Bioware could very much steal all those people(including me)who was let down with SWG...a star wars MMO still sounds great

its suprises me that SONY havent ported SWG to the PS3,as the PS3 hasnt got a MMO yet...and surely SONY would be looking for ways to introduce more people to SWG...what better way than the console crowd?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »

Excited, stoked, over the top, dancing in the aisles, shouting Hallelujah.........Sending nothing but positive waves to these folks, hoping, praying for a great "Star Wars" feeling MMO.

I can't wait.

This is my genre. This is my game. It's time is now.

Bring. It. On.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:12 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 30, 2007, 06:42:47 PM

Excited, stoked, over the top, dancing in the aisles, shouting Hallelujah.........Sending nothing but positive waves to these folks, hoping, praying for a great "Star Wars" feeling MMO.

I can't wait.

Bring. It. On.

er...2009 wasnt it?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 23, 2007, 05:11:22 PM

Quote from: biggercup on October 23, 2007, 04:44:21 PM

I know I loved both KOTOR but would I pay $15.00 per month to play it?

That's the problem, you wouldn't be playing KOTOR.  Most of what made KOTOR so awesome (characters, epic story, pacing, etc.) would be stripped out and replaced with grinding womp rats and mynocks next to 12-year-olds named SeXXi_Jedi and YourMomsARhodian.

We wouldn't be getting what you describe either if they allowed RP servers and had decent communication and community building tools. I'm personally not so hyped about this game since it's 2 years away and could be negatively impacted by EA's business goals.
I'm much more hyped about the Conan MMO since it's being created by a company with a proven MMO track record and like Bioware they have excellent story telling skills.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2007, 08:10:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 30, 2007, 07:05:12 PM

Quote from: Arclight on October 30, 2007, 06:42:47 PM

I can't wait.

Bring. It. On.

er...2009 wasnt it?

small detail..Mind over matter......I don't mind and it doesn't matter.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: