http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:24:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rule of Rose = Atlus will publish  (Read 4342 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2006, 03:56:10 AM »

According to an article on ArsTechnica, Sony won't be sending Rule of Rose to the United States citing "semi-erotic interaction between children". Before you pass judgement, check out the YouTube link to the trailer...

Thoughts?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 04:20:22 AM »

Bullshit.  Yet another -1 for Sony.  Why not release it here?  Does it really matter?  They're releasing it everywhere else.

Who the hell cares if some child molester gets his kicks playing this game?  At least he would be playing a game and not actually going out and raping some little kid.

Too bad we have to miss out on a pretty cool sounding "thriller" of a game because a company is overly-sensitive.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:28:50 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
According to an article on ArsTechnica, Sony won't be sending Rule of Rose to the United States citing "semi-erotic interaction between children". Before you pass judgement, check out the YouTube link to the trailer...

Thoughts?

That trailer is rather...disturbing... After watching that, I'm honestly not surprised at Sony's decision.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
da Toad
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 04:28:55 AM »

I looked into this when the buzz first started some months ago. I've just watched the trailed linked above (don't remember if it is the same video as before or not), and I still this this one looks kinda sick.

Lemme just say that I have not played Roses and I think we all know exactly how decieving trailers can be (re. EA's problems in England about Call of Duty). Sony (supposedly) has played Roses and says it has kids 'kinda gettin' it on'. Good enough. Besides, go watch the news and tell me if  this seem like the right time to release Roses in America? I'm sure Sony wants to get into politicians sights right before the launch of a new console.

I can't believe that this has even popped up on the gaming radar (twice!). If you're into this kinda stuff odds are that you've already got a machine capable of playing imports (How was Michigan?). I'm much more concerned that I'm not gonna get my new Front Mission. I see a heck of a lot more horror games that I do tactical mech action.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:13:29 AM »

I'm not sure about overseas, but with all the bad press videogames have gotten here lately, I'm not really surprised.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 06:00:46 AM »

So, Atlus isn't still releasing this one in August?  I'm always up for appreciating something interesting and different, as long as it doesn't go overboard.  That's a tough line to define, and way too easy to cross sometimes.  Still, saddened at the loss of a game that could be fascinating.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 06:09:53 AM »

I doubt there would be any outcry over the game - it's way too niche to even be a blip on the radar.  People generally stick to one or two games to point at when they talk about violence or sex in games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 06:17:40 AM »

Quote from: "Luke"
So, Atlus isn't still releasing this one in August?

Yes they are.  Sony's not publishing it first party, but they're not preventing it from being published.  Since it's not Take 2/Rockstar, people probably won't be too upset.  I don't have any problem with Sony trying to protect their public image.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 06:22:50 AM »

Good!  I hope it turns out well.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 08:06:40 AM »

They should include an english track on the Japanese version, then, when the PS3 comes out with no region limits, we can import it from Japan.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »

I don't really get the point of these articles.  Sony never had any intention of publishing the game, did they?  Sony doesn't publish that many games to begin with, and I don't see them ever putting out something this obscure.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I don't really get the point of these articles.  Sony never had any intention of publishing the game, did they?  Sony doesn't publish that many games to begin with, and I don't see them ever putting out something this obscure.

I think Sony's publishing it overseas but not in the US.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:45:48 AM »

So wait I am a little confused, is Sony just saying that they won't publish it, or that SCEA won't allow the license for the game in the States? Essentially cutting off anyone else from publishing it?

/edit I Just read the Articles, this is a big NON-Issue, as Atlus is still publishing the game in the states, so it should read Sony not willing to publish Rule of the Roses, but Atlus steps up and shows why they take care of their fanbase.

Hell I don't even think I'll play the game but I don't want to see it not published because a publisher doesn't have the balls.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »

Edited the topic to reflect the uh...reflection on this title.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 12:19:41 PM »

I think it reallt sucks that this wont be coming out in the US.

I think people here in the US need to get over the whole thing about video gmaes are so real now a days that kids cant tell the difference between a game and reality.  Or.  Child Molesters will by this game.  or cop killers will by GTA.

So the rest of the world has kids who ARE able to tell the difference?  Except we dont, here in America?  Young people only have sex in other parts of the world?  not in America?  i think thats part of the problem here.  Denial.  And the its someone elses fault or responsability, not mine.

Its a frcking video game.

Hell, the movie Hard Candy, which looked good is showing at 1 theatre in michigan, because it deals with a young (14) girl meeting a guy over the internet.  

There is all kinds of mind numbing garbage all over TV, and the radio, and movies, that no one has a problem with.  I was just talking with the GF yesterday about how Cartoon network runs a little skit about how you can say certain words when they mean something and not when they mean something else.  Like you can say a male rooster is a cock, but you cant say just cock.  Look, either make the rule so that you cant say them at all, or just get rid of the damned rule.  its stupid, and its not like kids dont know what it means anyways.

Anyways.  Sad to see that this game wont be coming here.  Sad also that the PS3 is going to be a small fortune, becuase one of the draws for me, was the region free part of it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »

Uh yeah, big non issue.  Relatively obscure first party games are published by third parties when localized all of the time.  Sony wouldn't published Wild Arms 4 here.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

Hell I don't even think I'll play the game but I don't want to see it not published because a publisher doesn't have the balls.

I am not sure how I feel about this.  Should any and every game be published no matter how violent/perverted/etc. the subject?  Should a baby raping sim be published just to show that american's "have the balls" to do it?

I think for me the answer is no.  We should have some things that don't get into video games/movies/etc.  I don't think that means we don't have balls but that we have standards.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 02:08:54 PM »

FYI, I can't watch the trailer.  It tells me
This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 02:31:41 PM »

I often work with people who have been sexually victimized as children.  While I don't really care much about the game itself I'm not very comfortable with the trend of sexualizing children.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »

*edit*

My post removed by me.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 03:04:30 PM »

Thank god.  Man, Atlus always comes through in the clutch - I probably have the most respect and admiration for Atlus than any other gaming company out there.  This only increases that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 03:32:15 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Thank god.  Man, Atlus always comes through in the clutch - I probably have the most respect and admiration for Atlus than any other gaming company out there.  This only increases that.

Indeed Atlus rocks.  Picking up and publishing Contact for the DS for NA only increased my love for them as a company.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 04:07:04 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

I am not sure how I feel about this.  Should any and every game be published no matter how violent/perverted/etc. the subject?  Should a baby raping sim be published just to show that american's "have the balls" to do it?

I think for me the answer is no.  We should have some things that don't get into video games/movies/etc.  I don't think that means we don't have balls but that we have standards.

The thing is that this game comes close to crossing the lines, but it doesn't. And it doesn't come close to the inappropriateness of a baby raping sim.

I completely agree that not all things should be published, and I am all for standards, but I am completely against knee jerk reactions by companies, and this seemed like an over-sensitive move on Sony's part.

Next time I won't use "guy speak" when I reference things like this, so as not to confuse the matter.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 05:50:05 PM »

The thing is that this game comes close to crossing the lines, but it doesn't. And it doesn't come close to the inappropriateness of a baby raping sim.

I completely agree that not all things should be published, and I am all for standards, but I am completely against knee jerk reactions by companies, and this seemed like an over-sensitive move on Sony's part.

Next time I won't use "guy speak" when I reference things like this, so as not to confuse the matter.

I honestly don't know if the game crosses a line, but after seeing the trailer I know it crosses my personal line.  

Of course this is what the rating system should deal with.  The game can be published but it should probably be AO.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »

the rating system as it stands right now is a bunch of garbage.  it apparently means nothing.  The industry is being attacked for selling MA rated games to kids, when in reality, its the ignorant parents buying the game, giving it to thier kids, then getting mad and making a complaint.

its under attack, with claims that video games make people bad.

AS well as music, and movies.

Lets just start to burn it all.  No Books, No Art, no video Games.

Fahrenheit 451 ( The new Millenium version)

if you dont want to play it.  Dont.  if you dont want to see it.  Dont.  If you dont want to hear it, Dont.

I am tired of this crap of people telling me, that they know what I should and shouldnt listen to, and what I should read.  if I want to play a horror game, in a completely fantasy world where babies get kicked, and murdered, then so be it.

or I could try living in the real one where mothers leave infants wrapped in plastic bags in dumpsters, or where drug dealers drive down streets shooting guns, killing young children IN THIER HOMES!  One where sex offenders are let out on the street, and then grab young girls, and boys al over again.  One where convicted murderers are let out of prison, as a "mistake" only to team up with a young girl, and kill a pregnant woman, her husband, and then con another man into giving them a ride, and killing him as well.  Or one where a whole groupe of some 30 boys are accused of a crime, and persecuted by the populous for a crime it looks like they may not have committed.

Hmmm.  its ok for me to shoot aliens in Halo, because there are no aliens, or life elsewhere in the world.  its not ok for a shitty game like Ture Crime streets of New York to get made becuase it shows corrupt cops.  So there are no corrupt cops?  Sorry.  I just dont buy it.  I am pretty much fed up with all the nonsense as of late.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 08:02:18 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"

if you dont want to play it.  Dont.  if you dont want to see it.  Dont.  If you dont want to hear it, Dont.

I am tired of this crap of people telling me, that they know what I should and shouldnt listen to, and what I should read.

Except no one is telling you that you can't/shouldn't play the game.  It's Sony making a business decision.  They apparently believe releasing this game will cost them more than it makes them.

Capitalism at work.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 11:24:16 PM »

Sony didn't publish 24: The Game either and that was developed by Sony Europe.  Movie studios do similar things so it's not limited to video games.  It's not like this is unprecedented.

I can certainly understand Sony themselves not wanting to publish it in the US.  There are plenty of Japanese games that don't come out here.  Can you blame them for not wanting to open this potential can of worms?  It's not like this is the greatest game ever made we're talking about here.

I'm glad it's coming out for those that want to play it.  Nice to see Atlus trying something besides their traditional RPG stuff.  And it looks like this game already has an audience.

I still wonder if the game is any good.  Much ado about nothing?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 01:37:15 AM »

I often work with people who have been sexually victimized as children. While I don't really care much about the game itself I'm not very comfortable with the trend of sexualizing children.

Then you should stay far, far away from Japanese video games, manga and anime. I can think of dozens of examples where children, especially girls, are sexualized. You often see male characters drooling over a big-breasted, scantily clad female, and soon discover that she is 12, 14, or 16 years old. I'm not even referring to Hentai or some other sub-category. I'm speaking of standard, widely distributed titles.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 03:12:04 AM »

Quote from: "Dante Rising"
I often work with people who have been sexually victimized as children. While I don't really care much about the game itself I'm not very comfortable with the trend of sexualizing children.

Then you should stay far, far away from Japanese video games, manga and anime. I can think of dozens of examples where children, especially girls, are sexualized. You often see male characters drooling over a big-breasted, scantily clad female, and soon discover that she is 12, 14, or 16 years old. I'm not even referring to Hentai or some other sub-category. I'm speaking of standard, widely distributed titles.

Yeah.  And when you add the tentacle rape then it just goes completely over the top.   Tongue
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 02:55:08 PM »

I was just thinking about this game this moring, so I thought I would look to see when its due out.

According to IGN, its due on Sept 12th..  Awesome.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »

I've got this one preordered, so I'm hoping it turns out to be a good game. The early reviews are varying wildly, with a 40 point difference in some cases. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this title turns out to be like Enhanted Arms- a great title that was misrepresented in the scoring.

I'm also supporting the game becuase I'm pleased to see that Atlus continues to publish niche titles that have very little chance of reaching the American shores.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 03:55:06 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »

Trailer pulled from YouTube.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

Yeah, but it's available elsewhere.  I've seen six different Japanese trailers.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 10, 2006, 03:51:21 PM

I've got this one preordered, so I'm hoping it turns out to be a good game. The early reviews are varying wildly, with a 40 point difference in some cases. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this title turns out to be like Enhanted Arms- a great title that was misrepresented in the scoring.

I just read my free copy of EGM (thank you Internets!) and saw that this one got pretty horrible reviews.  The scores were 4.5, 5, and 4 and the text made it seem like the game had some pretty serious control and camera issues. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006, 11:13:02 PM »

I stopped paying attention to reviews of survival horror games.  Every single one of them criticizes the controls, the puzzles, the convoluted storyline, and sometimes the graphics.  Usually they get dinged for being too slow-paced too.

The control thing bugs me because it usually seems like reviewers are expecting survival games to control like Devil May Cry, which they don't need to.  The puzzles are generally a bit odd, but they're pretty much genre standard, just as health pickups in action games are genre standard.  I like the convoluted storylines, and the graphics don't need to be cutting edge for me.

My moment of revelation came when I saw the scores that Fatal Frame 2 got.  For me, that game is the pinnacle of the horror game genre, and even that one barely averaged an 80% ranking.  Ever since then, review scores for horror games haven't mattered to me.  I've got Rule of Rose preordered, and I'm definitely picking it up on Wednesday.

Also, I can easily see this one becoming one of those niche Atlas titles that disappear after the first week and start going for big money on Ebay, so I want my copy immediately.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 02:03:48 AM »

I have a feeling this game is going to get unfairly abused. Look at the quotes below from NTSC-UK:

While not the best example of the genre, Silent Hill and Haunting Ground fans would certainly find the story appealing and the gorgeous cut-scenes instil the chilling atmosphere that every horror game needs.

There are plenty of save points scattered liberally around and whilst Jennifer can only hold a number of items, each save point normally has a dustbin where she can stash surplus items and pick them up again later at the next save point.

Much of the story is told via gorgeous pre-rendered sequences, which are a big improvement on many seen in other survival horror games.

Rule of Rose should be a good game but, at the end of the day, it’s simply a matter of checking all the doors until you find the correct route and the villains and boss are not a challenge. On a more positive note, the complexity of some of the locations – particularly the airship – do add to the tension, and the same can be said for the creepy inhabitants of Jennifer’s world.

The final score they gave the game was 50%.  WTF?  How does that score come from the quotes listed above? No talk of horrific controls, terrible difficulty, poor graphics or even poor save location placement. His main grinding point is that the dog wasn't as useful as the one seen in Haunting Ground. I have no idea if this game will be a winner or a dud, but don't tie a score of 50% to an article that makes the game seem like it should be around 70-80%.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:42:44 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 03:42:49 AM »

EGM scores are usually lower than they should be.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 07:50:08 PM »

I just pre-ordered my Rule of Rose for the PS2 today.  I got a little bonus disc for it.  Came with a 6 minute intro movie that was pretty cool.  Supposed to have music on it as well.  The intro movie was pretty neat.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 10:38:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 10, 2006, 11:13:02 PM

I stopped paying attention to reviews of survival horror games.  Every single one of them criticizes the controls, the puzzles, the convoluted storyline, and sometimes the graphics.  Usually they get dinged for being too slow-paced too.

The control thing bugs me because it usually seems like reviewers are expecting survival games to control like Devil May Cry, which they don't need to.  The puzzles are generally a bit odd, but they're pretty much genre standard, just as health pickups in action games are genre standard.  I like the convoluted storylines, and the graphics don't need to be cutting edge for me.

My moment of revelation came when I saw the scores that Fatal Frame 2 got.  For me, that game is the pinnacle of the horror game genre, and even that one barely averaged an 80% ranking.  Ever since then, review scores for horror games haven't mattered to me.  I've got Rule of Rose preordered, and I'm definitely picking it up on Wednesday.

Also, I can easily see this one becoming one of those niche Atlas titles that disappear after the first week and start going for big money on Ebay, so I want my copy immediately.

couldn't've said the first section better myself (including the example of ff2) - tho ror might indeed suck, i'll find out whether or not it sucks myself...

that said, i can't bring myself to buy it - i've pre-ordered so much stuff at this point (ff12/guide, contact, okami, summon night - with devil summoner & wii/zelda still to go) that ror's just gonna hafta wait (& if it disappears, well, then i'll kick myself)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 10:50:25 PM »

Picked this uyp after work today, only played for like 20 minutes to get to the 2nd save.  I will give my impressions later.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: