http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:17:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rule of Rose [ps2] - *very* twisted (please come to USA)  (Read 2112 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »

Be aware that while there's no nudity, it's not necessarily something you'd want your boss/teacher/whatever see you watching.

Totally taken from the GAF forums.  Here's a link to the unbelievably awesome trailer:

http://anon.sce.speedera.net/anon.sce/ror/ruleofrose1-1200k.wmv

So what's this game about?  Credit goes to Snowball (GAF) and insertcredit.com:

Rule of Rose is a new survival horror/adventure game from SCEJ, with quite a disturbing theme. You take the role of a young girl in england in the 1930s, who is lured to a specific house by a boy who only she can see. He gives her a book of disturbing fairly tales, which by degrees come to a sort of life in this house. The house is occupied by other young girls who simply want to be loved, but through their naive innocence create a rather horrid lord of the flies-like environment, from which the heroine wishes to escape.

Gameplay is similar to Demento/Haunting Ground, in that a dog helps you through, and there's more emphasis on discovery and the 'adventure' aspect (ala Siren), in order to unravel the story. The game may not hit the states, given the rather disturbing, and sometimes psuedo-erotic content.

Another blurb about what the game is about:

England, 1930.
In a place no adult can reach, a group of innocent little girls who just wanted to be loved made a pact with the princess of the red rose.

The player, Jennifer, got lost in this irrational kingdom of the little girls, their innocent desire taking the most cruel forms. She will has been driven there by a book given to her by little boy she can only hear, and who continues to address her through the game. The book contain several extremely sad and cruel fairy tales which swallow the heroin into their world.

It's an adventure game close to Demento, since the heroin will be helped by a dog (Brown), but with a bigger emphasis on the adventure part, where you will look for hints to understand the scenario, and a lesser importance given to the gross boobs of the heroin.

Here's the trailer that was shown at E3.  Makes the game seem even more creepy.

http://www.playstation.jp/ch/pv/asx/tgs2005/pv_ruleofrose.asx

Supposedly, members of team ICO are involved.  

It looks so twisted.  The underage sexual overtones are a little gross/disturbing, but I'm sure that adds to the overall damned weirdness of it all.  And the art direction, even just from the CG trailer (some people claim that some of it is real-time...put this on the PS3 and I'd be even MORE sold), is incredible.  I guess the director of Clock Tower 3 (which I have no clue if the cinematics were good or not, never played it) is in charge for this one.  

Comes out early next year in Japan and I'm curious to know what kind of reviews it's going to get.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »

hmmm...couldn't get the top link to work.

From your description it sounds a little strange.  Just as long as my character isn't graphically molested or anything like that.  I don't want to play a game with any pedophilia or anything.  I'm all for creepy games, but that's a whole different kind of creepy.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:23:07 AM »

Link edited - SHOULD WORK!  It's messed up.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:28:11 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Totally taken from the GAF forums.  Here's a link to the unbelievably awesome trailer:

http://anon.sce.speedera.net/anon.s...rose1-1200k.wmv

well, thanks for that, tml - i'll definitely be sleeping soundly tonight...

very... subtley... unsettling...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 12:59:48 AM »

Hmmm... very interesting. Keep me updated!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:35:54 AM »

And as we all know, twisted little girls are always the scariest monsters around.

I don't need to play a game to experience that. slywink
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 01:50:37 AM »

I have no problem with erotic content in a game but what looks like pre-pubescent girls in suggestive sexual poses has me worried who the target audience is for this game.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 02:46:02 AM »

Looks interesting and good to me!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 02:49:47 AM »

Quote from: "skystride"
I have no problem with erotic content in a game but what looks like pre-pubescent girls in suggestive sexual poses has me worried who the target audience is for this game.

Yeah that looks creepy.  And not in a good way.

This is from the country that sells used panties.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:50:24 AM »

Quote from: "skystride"

Well, something tells me that the type of people who really dig that sort of thing probably wouldn't want to play a creepy-as-fuck video game to get their jollies.

And I'd be willing to bet that the majority of gamers out there, if they were to play the game and be okay with it (because I can understand if people are totally not cool/uncomfortable with it) would find that if it pertains to the story, or something like that, that it would be okay.  If it's in there, I'm sure it's in there for an important reason - either something to do with the storytelling, giving background, whatever.  If I found out via impressions/reviews that the issue of sexually explicit stuff in this game was tasteless and offensive, I would definitely be against this game coming to NA.

Another thing is that this game is set in 1930.  If it were present day, I'd probably be disgusted with it.  But it's a psychological-thriller-horror kind of game, and that sort of thing combind with the 1930's raises a warning flag.  It's just out of place.  It's weird.  Nothing that we really think about (the 1930's scream "innocence" to me).  Adds to the sense of that weirdness/disturbing feel to this game (well, the trailer, anyway).  

This has been an entirely long-winded and probably uncalled for post, but hey, those are my thoughts on it.  

And thinking about it some more, man, I really doubt this one will make it's way on this shore.  Then again, we don't know how explicit it is.  All I've heard is there are "overtones" in the game.  I guess we'll see when it hits Japan January 16th.

TheMissingLink on PSN
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 04:30:21 AM »

I think the most interesting part about it, is that it takes place in England, 1930's, even though some of the trailer doesn't really look like it reflects it.

I could never play it (I can't handle scary games) but I know some friends who would play it I'm sure.  I wouldn't mind watching or hearing what it is about.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 03:27:07 PM »

After all these years and all the advances we've had in bandwidth and video technology, I still can't get a streaming ASX file to play worth a damn.  Optimized streaming experience my ass.

Anyway, the first one looked interesting even if it was all cutscenes.  Comparisons to Siren and the fact that a dog is a major character aren't really exciting me though.  One to keep an eye on.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 07:34:51 PM »

Wow, this looks very interesting. Hopefully the story and gameplay is as good as the trailer.

Anyone know who the music is by? Love the song.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 08:08:52 PM »

I think I have reached my saturation point with girls being tortured.  Maybe I am just getting old.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:43:18 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Wow, this looks very interesting. Hopefully the story and gameplay is as good as the trailer.

Anyone know who the music is by? Love the song.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...T835TF9W135JHWH

There's a link to the song.  I dig it as well.  People on GAF do as well (where I got the link, well, everything in this thread) and I guess people are trying to find out if the song is liscensed or was made specifically for the game or what.  I like the song as well.

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 08:44:14 PM »

I think it looks really good.  I cant wait.  I really hope they will release it here.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 11:14:02 PM »

damn, link not valid.

Thanks for the info!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 01:20:54 AM »

GAH it was working earlier today, my bad :/  Good music, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 05:12:21 PM »

Wow, this game looks amazing.  I'm a huge Survival Horror fan, I think I need to get a PS2.  Thanks for the link.

"Goonies never say die"
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 06:44:12 PM »

Quote from: "El-Producto"
Wow, this game looks amazing.  I'm a huge Survival Horror fan, I think I need to get a PS2.  Thanks for the link.

I really wish I never traded my PS2 in now.  Hopefully this game will come stateside and I'll have an excuse to purchase one again.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 04:50:10 AM »

Definately creepy in more than one way. I would play this but with all the lights on and two other people in the room with me. GAF is drooling over it of course, but a lot of them are pubescent boys anyways ;-)

Seeing stuff like this makes me think that the next generation is coming on too fast...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 12:01:01 AM »

Gamespy has an import preview up.

It mentions very little of the story, but compares it to Silent Hill in many areas.  The two main gripes were load times and camera angles, but I'd think at this point, bad camera angles in a survival horror game shouldn't be a surprise.

Oh, and you get a dog to help you find clues and such (Scooby?).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 12:13:23 AM »

Yeah, import impressions on GAF seem quite favorable...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: