http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:59:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTW question  (Read 1086 times)
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2004, 05:03:41 AM »

I finally got the population of one of my cities up to 24,000 and hit the Marius reform.

So I'm wondering, what's the best bet?  Should I take all my troops back to my major towns and retrain them all?  Or should I just train all new armies?    It seems as though the post-Marius units are considerably stronger than the pre-Marius units, but it's very time consuming and fairly expensive to retrain everything, but almost just as bad to create a whole new army (And even more expensive).

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 02:38:07 PM »

Personally, I just started moving all my old style units to the front lines and into my main armies and made sure they were always in the thick of the fighting.  Being that you can't retrain those units after the reforms, it worked pretty well.  I'd fight a battle, recombine the surviving units into full strength units and disband any smaller remnants.  By the time about 20 years had passed my legions had pretty much switched over to all post reform units.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 03:04:41 PM »

I don't think you can retrain your pre marius troops into the new ones.  I would either use the old troops as cannon fodder or disband them in cities that need some growth.

My economy was so strong by endgame that i just bribed a bunch of large armies and used them with some elite troops (for the coolness factor) for the final push against Rome.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:38:41 AM »

Yeah, I posted that a bit early.  I was in the process of trying to move all of my units to my bigger towns in hopes of retraining them.  I found out shortly there after that I can't do it.  My economy is strong enough that I was able to disband a large portion of my pre-Marius units and make some new Post-Marius units.

But now I'm torn.  I don't know if I should head west and keep Julii in check (And take out the Gauls and the rest of Europe iin the process) or if I should go east and take on Egypt, the only faction that poses a major threat to me.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: