http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:45:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RRoD: GDC Edition  (Read 1745 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »

Talk about embarrassing!  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »

icon_twisted

That's awesome!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »

That is hilarious.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »

I'm really beginning to wonder if my Sept 2007 360 is going to be immune from RRoD's. I don't want to assume anything, but surely the Microsoft Staff at the GDC would have brought in the newer Zephyr or Falcon models for the event.
When I look through my X360's case I can see the newer and improved heat sync is present, but based on the continuing proliferation of RRoD's I'm not sure the redesign is enough.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »

ROFL

Man, that just HAD to suck.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »

From the article:

Nevertheless, you’d have thought Microsoft would have put its best behaved machines on show.

Why would they think that?  Microsoft probably just grabs a bunch of refurbs, and probably trucks the same beat up units from show to show.  If it dies... who cares?  They just replace it.

Anyone who is surprised by this has obviously never seen a torn up demo display at a toy or game store.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21:18 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 19, 2008, 07:12:32 PM

From the article:

Nevertheless, you’d have thought Microsoft would have put its best behaved machines on show.

Why would they think that?  Microsoft probably just grabs a bunch of refurbs, and probably trucks the same beat up units from show to show.  If it dies... who cares?  They just replace it.

Anyone who is surprised by this has obviously never seen a torn up demo display at a toy or game store.

But the GDC isn't Toys R Us.  You would think if Microsoft knows there is a perception out there that 360's are unreliable, they would do everything in their power to avoid this kind of thing happening at GDC.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 19, 2008, 07:21:18 PM

From the article:

But the GDC isn't Toys R Us.  You would think if Microsoft knows there is a perception out there that 360's are unreliable, they would do everything in their power to avoid this kind of thing happening at GDC.

beaten...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 07:31:26 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 19, 2008, 07:24:24 PM

From the article:

beaten...

Just remember this is the same company that had a BSOD at the premiere press showing of Windows slywink
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 19, 2008, 07:31:26 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on February 19, 2008, 07:24:24 PM

From the article:

beaten...

Just remember this is the same company that had a BSOD at the premiere press showing of Windows slywink

good point smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »

You can also get RROD when your AV connector isn't properly seated.  Just sayin'.

/raving fanboy, no doubt smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 19, 2008, 09:37:56 PM

You can also get RROD when your AV connector isn't properly seated.  Just sayin'.

That's only two though. Not 3.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »

Yeah I cannot imagine Microsoft would be using old  360's at the GDC.  They'd surely have something like that in the back of their mind.  Someone should have run and checked the make date of the console when it red ringed smile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »

and a BBC link with video...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:39:25 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 19, 2008, 10:42:52 PM

Quote from: kathode on February 19, 2008, 09:37:56 PM

That's only two though. Not 3.

Ah, I think you're right!  I just tried and got 4 rings, but that was on a dev kit. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 12:30:13 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 19, 2008, 10:49:42 PM

Yeah I cannot imagine Microsoft would be using old  360's at the GDC.  They'd surely have something like that in the back of their mind.  Someone should have run and checked the make date of the console when it red ringed smile

But does the manufacture date really make a difference? My concern is that the new Zephyr and Falcon models may not actually resolve the RRoD problem as we've been led to believe. In which case, even if the MS staff at the GDC had ensured that the demo units were the newer heat sync enabled models the problem may still have occurred.
In all honesty I have nothing concrete to base my concerns upon, but when I keep hearing stories like this and from other people that have bought the newer 360 sku's, it makes me doubtful.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 02:20:31 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 20, 2008, 12:30:13 AM

But does the manufacture date really make a difference? My concern is that the new Zephyr and Falcon models may not actually resolve the RRoD problem as we've been led to believe. In which case, even if the MS staff at the GDC had ensured that the demo units were the newer heat sync enabled models the problem may still have occurred.
In all honesty I have nothing concrete to base my concerns upon, but when I keep hearing stories like this and from other people that have bought the newer 360 sku's, it makes me doubtful.

Exactly, my RROD had absolutely nothing to do with heating/MB issues, it was a lightly played system that bricked after a the Fall or Summer Update last year. So, while I am sure the new MOBO and chipset will help, it most certainly won't make the RROD go away.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 20, 2008, 12:30:13 AM

That was my point.  If it was one of the new consoles then Microsoft, we have a problem.  How amazingly appropriate for it to happen at GDC! I love it! smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

Bravo, Microsoft.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kratz
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »

I wish mine would RROD already. frown
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »

Well they obviously weren't using the latest and greatest "Falcon" XBoxes.  So it's more likely that they were, as I said, simply using refurbs.

If you are demoing ten XBoxes, and you bring 20 refurbs with you... I don't see the big deal.  It's only a big deal because people want to make a big deal out of it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:19 PM »

Well I personally wouldn't want my units to fail at a big game show so I wouldn't bring any of the failing units.  But I guess that's why they work for Microsoft and I don't.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on February 20, 2008, 06:36:47 PM

I wish mine would RROD already. frown

Reverse psychology....I hadn't tried that yet.  Good thinkin Kratz!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: