http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:18:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Room for gaming during finals week?  (Read 1111 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:37:42 AM »

Finals are looming for many of us which usually means gaming takes the backseat to studying, but does that need to mean we don't get to play any games at all? Usually for me it does unless I want to do average or poor on my tests. This year, however, I took the time to meticulously create a "study schedule", along with requesting the week off from work (I'll make up the hours over the weekend), so I'm confident I'll still have time to make some progress on my backlog. Seriously though, I'm not sure how many of you do this, but in creating a study schedule I've gotten rid of a lot of the stress and anxiety that comes naturally with finals week. As long as I adhere to my schedule and get the studying done I should actually have ample time to do my gaming which will be really great, the hardest thing for me during finals is not being able to play any games or, if deciding to play them, feeling guilty about neglecting my studies.

How do you guys manage your gaming during finals time?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:57:02 AM »

i'm quite a few years past the time of taking finals, but i can say with quite a bit of confidence that i would never have passed some of my exams if i had my 360 back then.  we played a lot of games, but late-night Tekken 2 marathons with my roommates weren't nearly the timesink that i've found in games like Halo 3 over xbox Live.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:59:49 AM »

The rule that I had during exams was no games/tv/etc the night before I had to write one, otherwise I found myself bombing it.

As for gaming during the exam period, I usually hold off on games that I'm in the middle of playing, and only play a quick game in a RTS or online flash games like those tower defense games for an hour or so as a break.

I also went through the extra step of deleting most of the games that I had installed to avoid the temptation or putting the CDs away (this is the only time that I actually like copy protection).

Keep this in mind, you can play your games, watch the tv /etc whenever you want, but you only get one shot at studying and doing well on an exam.  Plus it gives you something to look forward to as you study.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:02:42 AM »

Pretty sure that I'll find time to go take my finals in between playing games.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:28:50 AM »

Actually I got the impression that at least 90% of us are long past our 'finals' stage of our life.  Unless of course you're talking about the ultimate 'finals' stage which all living beings must go through eventually...I hope I pass!   icon_confused
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 06:44:21 AM »

Well, I've been out of college for almost ten years but I actually don't remember games interfering with finals too much.  The ones I do remember playing during finals were Ultima 8, Gabriel Knight 1, and Dark Forces but they were almost never at the expense of studying.  I can, however, say that X-Com was responsible for probably lowering my GPA a whole point for one semester.   
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:18:54 AM »

I loved Finals week(s). Sure you had to study, but there was no class! I always felt like I had even more free time during finals. The only problem was that I had to stay a bit more sober!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 08, 2007, 04:28:50 AM

Actually I got the impression that at least 90% of us are long past our 'finals' stage of our life.  Unless of course you're talking about the ultimate 'finals' stage which all living beings must go through eventually...I hope I pass!   icon_confused

Yeah that pretty much describes me. For my next final I want to be given a wake and I want a game controller placed in my hand. Actually....Probably both hands  slywink

In terms of my past finals I do recall Bards tale on the C-64 srewing up at least 1 of my biology tests. I can also comment on my nephew, who is a very serious game player and scores very high GPA's. His current strategy was to have his room mates stash away his XBox and not to reveal it's location to him until his finals are done.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:52:55 PM by kronovan » Logged
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:02:15 PM »

I usually study for a hour, game for a hour, study for a hour, do something else. And just keep alternating for 24 hours.
When it comes to studying sleep is no longer a factor in your life. Though getting a good nights sleep will help you be successful on your exams.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

Depends on my final schedule.....for example this year I have finals on Monday at 8:00 pm, Tuesday at 8:45 am, Wed at 8:45 am and 5:45 pm.

I doubt that I will be playing monday that much.....but tuesday I will need study breaks.  The rule is one hour of game play for every two studing....until I know the material.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:09:52 PM »

I usually found time.. but ours were over two weeks. So with no classes and finals over two weeks there was usually plenty of downtime. Wouldn't the day before a test, but if there were a couple days...
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:34:10 PM »

TML, Depward and I used to game during finals week(and every other week) back in our glory days at WSU.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 08, 2007, 08:34:10 PM

TML, Depward and I used to game during finals week(and every other week) back in our glory days at WSU.

GO HUSKIES!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:57 PM »

Quote from: disarm on December 08, 2007, 03:57:02 AM

i'm quite a few years past the time of taking finals, but i can say with quite a bit of confidence that i would never have passed some of my exams if i had my 360 back then. 

Upon reading the thread title this was my thought exactly.

Flunk out confirmed.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:56:18 PM »

this is hilarious jarrod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:50 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 08, 2007, 11:56:18 PM

this is hilarious jarrod

just ask for verbal quizzes over XBL chat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 05:30:15 AM »

I've never been a fan of studying. I'll put maybe an hour or two into studying my history exams, but my only important thing to do is my twenty-page paper this year.

Papers make me stop playing for a small while, exams do not.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »

I didn't believe in studying. I was always prepared for a test, but I have never felt that last minute studying ever helped. Still got a 3.0, and to be honest, no one truly gives two shits what your  college GPA was when you enter in to the "real world" anyways, unless you need to get in to a graduate program.

So yeah, I probably played games, hell I play my GBA all through out a couple of my Senior year classes, just sat in the back and played Super Mario Advanced

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »

To avoid distractions, I studied at the library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: