http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 07:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome:TW play strategy  (Read 1539 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:01:09 PM »

RTW is the first TW game Ive played and Im wondering if the strategy Ive taken is wrong. Im the Julii and am doing all the missions the senate gives me. But by doing that I have stretched my city taken a little too far. I have taken 4 cities but 2 of those I cannot build anything in. And one of those gets attacked every few turns by the barbarians. I have my best guy there so he kicks thier ass everytime but he's lost his man force and is mainly working with city watch units. I think Im going to have to pull out and leave the city because of the attacks.

Im wondering if I should just play at my own pace and take the cities near me and expand out from there instead of marching way off past enemy cities to take a single city in the distance.

Any strategies guys?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:17:21 AM »

I think im going to have to give up on my first stab at a campaign. Ive taken 3 cities for the senate and every 2 turns they all get attacked..over and over and over..boring...plus if I take command I win but if I let it autofight then I lose.

Maybe Ill restart as a different house and set it to easy...though i dont want to do that because I win all my battles now except for 1 where I was over matched 280 to 1700+

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 12:53:28 AM »

It's okay to lose a city early on, early cities are pretty easy to take back, and it allows you to concentrate on other areas.

What you need to do is get your economy up and running quickly.  It's easy to do with Roman factions since you have two automatic trade partners.

So build those roads and markets, then with all the money you get you can build enough armies to hold them back.

Then again you can always draw away Gaul attacks by going on the offensive and sieging a city of his.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:13:38 AM »

Should I build everything I can build in my cities?

Also Ive found war dog units good fighters but once they attack something they chase it forever..new orders or a halt command do nothing to stop them....they'll chase 2 guys into full units of the enemy even.

These cities Im taking are ones the senate wants me to conquer. Should I just send all the people off to slavery and leave the city or should I occupy them and try to build them up?

Whats a good amount and type of unit to leave in a city? Ive been leaving 2-4 town watch and a govenor in them but if I autoresolve a battle with just them they lose.

mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 04:24:29 AM »

Almost every time I tried to occupy a settlement it would revolt in a turn or two.  But if I enslave the populace I could occupy without revolts.  I wasn't able to complete all the Senate's missions and nothing bad happened to me.  If they stretch you to far then pull back for a few turns to build yourself up and regroup.  Once you defeat the Gauls and occupy the Iberian pennisula you win and can go on to other factions.

I haven't commented on my overall impressions of RTW yet so I might as well do that now.  I just don't understand this love fest everyone has for this game.  I played the hell out of the two previous Total War games.  The changes they made in the campaign map is a huge improvement not even worth comparing to the earlier games but what they did on the tactical map was a huge dissapointment to me.  They took away many of the options that you had, dumbed down the battles, and the AI is just stupid.  You have to really screw up inorder to lose a battle.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 10:37:46 AM »

Town watch will always lose a battle in auto resolve, and even when commanding.

Simply put, town watch's purpose is to collect taxes, keep the population under control, and to garrison the city for those few turns while the city is sieged.

They're useful to have backed up by other units, since they're a cheap spear based unit.  They also have a very low upkeep, only 100, but they're not the main fighting force.

If a city is on the front lines, make sure you have some infantry and cavalry inside.  As a julii, a few units of hastati and equites will do.  Especially against the gauls, who have little in the way of cavalry early on except for the general's heavy cavalry.

Oh, and those roads, besides providing trade income, will allow you to quickly move troops around to defend from sieges.  In this way, you can have one army on defense that can cover a vast amount of terrain.  Also remember that those cities last at least 2-3 turns with a wall.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 03:09:06 PM »

Don't say "how high?" when the Senate says to jump.  :wink:

Seriously, I only do Senate missions that make sense to me or won't strain my armies or my budget. In other words, only make them happy when you feel it will also furthur your cause/plans.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »

Nope.  Especially when it comes to unit-producing buildings.  Have different nearby internal cities (far from the front lines) focusing on different types of units -- this way you can build your best units.  Just have the armies from all 3 cities (infantry, cavalry, and ranged) meet up in one place to form a new balanced army.

Currently, I'm playing as Egypt.  My main 3 cities produce a new army every few turns, and I assign my most promising general to the army and send them out on a boat to conquer, or to reinforce a battle that may not be going as well as I had hoped.

The overland map game requires some long-term strategies in order to work well.  If, like me, your gaming sessions stretch over several evenings of play, you may want to write down your strategies, so you don't forget what they are halfway through.  If you are playing without any long-term strategy except to "win the game", consider creating a long-term strategy of some sort.  The short-term missions that the Senate gives you are no excuse for a long term strategy.

Some examples of long term strategy include:  Take all of the Gaulish towns in what would be present-day Italy, then consolidate the cities and build up a good income and technology level while playing more defensively, then start expanding again in order to wipe out the Gauls after the denarii start to flow freely.  All while keeping peaceful relations with as many other factions as possible.  This is a pretty good beginner's strategy for the Julii, in the short campaign.

If you are not making very much money after supporting your troops, and you are taking the time to build the money-producing structures (ports, markets, roads, etc) then chances are your army is too big and you need to go on the offensive.  Gather them up from your scattered cities and go after the biggest, juiciest city nearby that you can handle being at war with.  This game is all about expansion, don't stop expanding unless it is just a temporary thing to consolidate your strength.

About taking cities -- once you have taken a large city, only occupy it if you have a large army left over after the battle, and if you aren't planning on moving that army again for several turns.  It takes a large occupation force to keep order.  If you can't meet both of those qualifications, only enslave the city if you can afford to leave a medium sized occupation force there for several turns.  If you can't afford to leave troops there (as you need to move to the next city) then put the population to the sword.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 05:28:18 PM »

Ok great, thnx all. Two things Ive noticed after reading your posts........1 is the cities Ive taken wont allow me to build anything in them...and 2 is that the senate had me take both Gual cities and Carthage ones..so Im always fighting someone.

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 05:44:23 PM »

This is an excellent guide on Gamespy as well.

I spent the weekend convincing three different people in my family that this was the greatest game of the past 6 months.  Didn't take much convincing.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ok great, thnx all. Two things Ive noticed after reading your posts........1 is the cities Ive taken wont allow me to build anything in them...and 2 is that the senate had me take both Gual cities and Carthage ones..so Im always fighting someone.

There are two reasons a city won't allow you to build.

1. No governor. You need one of your generals there to give build and recruitment orders. You can queue these up and then leave if you can't afford to leave a general there.

2. The city already has all of the improvements for it's population level. You just need to wait for it to grow enough to upgrade it to the next city size and then you'll be able to build again.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:26:42 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"

There are two reasons a city won't allow you to build.

1. No governor. You need one of your generals there to give build and recruitment orders. You can queue these up and then leave if you can't afford to leave a general there.

2. The city already has all of the improvements for it's population level. You just need to wait for it to grow enough to upgrade it to the next city size and then you'll be able to build again.
Or...
3. You don't have the funds.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 01:56:46 AM »

Well I had the funds and a general there so i guess it was city size....and with it being sieged every 2-3 turns it is shrinking.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 10:36:12 PM »

Also Ive found war dog units good fighters but once they attack something they chase it forever..new orders or a halt command do nothing to stop them....they'll chase 2 guys into full units of the enemy even.

These cities Im taking are ones the senate wants me to conquer. Should I just send all the people off to slavery and leave the city or should I occupy them and try to build them up?

Whats a good amount and type of unit to leave in a city? Ive been leaving 2-4 town watch and a govenor in them but if I autoresolve a battle with just them they lose.

First of all, NEVER autoresolve.  That is so bugged.  You can usually get 4:1 losses if not more using your own strategies.  The computer tends to keep you at 1:1 or 2:1, and you always, ALWAYS, lose your best pieces.  The computer loves to make me lose my Cretan Archers when I autoresolve, though when I take over, I never lose them myself.  It's like the computer makes the wrong pieces attack with the incorrect weapons.

Next, war dogs.  They are amazingly overpowered because once you set the dogs off, you pull the handlers back...and the dogs regenerate every turn!  Just have to keep the handlers alive by running them away after the dogs take off.  They are great to send into an enemy sieged city first, then clean up once they are done.  I send 4 units of them into enemy cities.  They are great to chase missile units in the field too, keeps them occupied.

Next, I always keep 2 units of town watch in cities that are not near the front lines.  Cheap and effective.  Anything else is a waste od dinarii.  Make sure they are not in a city that is at risk of attack though.  

Also, a little trick, once the senate asks you to take a town (You do realize you don't have to complete ALL missions right?), go in and grab it, then kill off everyone for money if you don't plan on staying.  Sell the buildings you can as well for more cash.  Then, leave the city that turn and set your army up outside, making sure to set taxes to max and aim for a revolt.  The senate will ask you to retake that same town if it revolts and you lose it, for another great reward!  Yay!  Just hope the rebels don't pop in with a huge army, lol.  

Lastly, another trick is when you need population raises somewhere, enslave towns that you take, and leave governors in the towns that need people.  Those enslaved peeps only go to towns with governors...so you can make all governors leave their towns before you take a town to enslave, but keep the governors in the ones where you want the extra slaves to go. This takes a little planning before a siege, but well worth it for a popluation boost only where you really need it!  I once went from 1100 pop to 2300 in a turn after enslaving a huge city!  I was then able to build at the next level instead of being stagnant in that town for 10 years of natural 5% population increase.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 10:40:04 PM »

One exploit for war dogs is that you can send them out of your city if you are sallying against a siege, let the dogs attack until they are dead or time runs out, then get the draw but take many enemies out, lol.  You can sally like 10 times in a single turn, and the dogs ALWAYS regenerate each sally.  

I don't use this myself as I think it's really cheap, but it CAN keep you alive if you are desperate.

Just make sure you get those handlers inside the city gates to stay alive!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: