http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:15:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome: Total War  (Read 6828 times)
Godzilla Blitz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 08:49:28 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
For those of you having problems with the campaign AI, you might look through this thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11196&st=0

I've had pretty good luck with the changes and it's designed fairly well to even up the factions.

s

Thank you! Much appreciated!

I just spent the past hour reading the forums over there and am downloading the Realism mod, .Spartan's AI mod, and Darkmoor's combat/ship mod. It appears as if these three mods do a lot to rectify the major problems with the game.

I'll be starting over this evening.

Slater
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 09:52:37 PM »

Yeah, I also downloaded a mod that apparently doubles the hitpoints of all the units in the game. Makes such a huge difference I cannot express it, the game plays much more like M:TW now, thanks for recommending twcenter.net.
DireAussie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2004, 04:05:51 AM »

I'll add another "R:TW is fantastic, GOTY material"

For those who are still unsure because of Shogun:

I played Shogun: Total War.  The concept appealed to me, but I found it was an extremely boring game.  The campaign map was bland and tactical battles all felt the same and were quite boring after you've played a few.

Medieval came and went and I never even looked at it.  Then when Rome: Total War came out there was a huge buzz on GoneGold.  After a few days of reading all the glowing posts the GGFE had me and I had to pick it up  biggrin

It is SO much better.  The campaign map is fantastic and is a game in itself.  The 3D battles brings so much life into the game.   I've played many battles and I still watch the general's speech before the battle smile  

I've put over 20 hours into it and I've only captured 15 settlements so far - you need 50 to win.  

I second the complaints about the AI that Grifman has pointed out, except perhaps for #5 - I've been offered 1 trading rights and 2 alliances and I'm not too far into the game yet.

I'm playing on Average/Average and battles are too easy.  It does too many stupid things, like rushing in generals head first, taking missile fire too easily, not keeping its troops into formation etc.  I make heavy use of the pause button when I'm in battle.  If you're having problems with battles being too fast and dont want to use mods then try pausing and issuing orders often.
Kraegor2
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2004, 06:58:52 PM »

sadly...even on very hard...the enemy general and armies still do very stupid things...of course being smarter than the AI... i exploit these weaknessess, heh...

the biggest AI issue (aside from navy) is  when they siege your settlement...you can goad the enemy army into coming within  range of your towers...and then the enemy just stands there as the towers wittle away...you can also sucker them into gettin near the walls so your javelineers or bowmen can plunk away...shootin fish in a barrel...disheartening AI..but i rationalize it by remembering that on very hard difficulty the PC gets to cheat with regards to population growth etc...

now on a normal battlefield..the PC AI is generally fairly smart...except of course for the ever present suicidal general... then again i'm pretty suicidal with my general as well..but at least i retreat before i get kilt...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »

Exactly.  Because those Hastati are facing a veritable wall of spear points, they can't get within short sword range.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2004, 06:56:42 PM »

Victory!

Finally. I conquered the world with the House of Scipii in the year 133 BC. The long campaign is just that - long. It's been what, almost two weeks? And I just finished my first game.

It was fun, but at the default settings, it was a little easy. I look forward to trying again though with a short campaign at a higher difficulty with one of the non roman factions.

-Cota
RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2004, 03:07:46 PM »

Sat on the fence for awhile on this one cuz I don't like too much micro-management.

But I like histrorically accurate games, the chance to move really big armies and battlefield tactics.

I took a chance and was not disappointed. One of the great things about the game is its flexability. If you like to micro-manage you can, if you don't the game will do it for you. Just want to battle, go for it. Game too tuff, there are a number of difficulty settings.

There is a campaign setting, both short and long, historicals battle setting, instant battles, and custom setting as well as multiplayer.

Duzent get any better than this.  Oh, and the game itself is fantastic.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2004, 09:31:39 PM »

Does anybody have any tactical tips on how to deal with chariots?

The Egyptions declared war on me, and although I have been winning my battles with them, their chariots are like meat grinders.  Whatever I throw at them takes heavy losses, I think to their wheel scythes.

I can beat them, but not without heavy casualties, which makes fighting the next giant battle harder, until my campaign grinds to a halt due to lack of manpower...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2004, 09:34:42 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"

The Egyptions declared war on me, and although I have been winning my battles with them, their chariots are like meat grinders.  Whatever I throw at them takes heavy losses, I think to their wheel scythes.

I can beat them, but not without heavy casualties, which makes fighting the next giant battle harder, until my campaign grinds to a halt due to lack of manpower...

Massed archers can do a good number on them, but that takes time to do, and therefore doesn't always work.

As the Romans I would usually mass my troops into a large block and march them towards the enemy lines, daring the chariots to hit them.  If they charged my troops were packed in so tight they would get trapped and killed, and if they chose not to charge I would crush them with bow fire.

Worked fairly well most of the time, but still not ideal.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2004, 10:29:33 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"

I got ripped to shreds too the first time I went against Egypt. After a few losses, I decided to abort attacking Egypt by land and began attacking only coastal cities from ships. I don't think the chariots are as effective in tight quarters defending cities as they are fighting in the wide open deserts where they have to room to roam. You can put a serious hurt on Egypt by taking coastal cities (at least with the territories they held in my game) and then take cities that are less than a turns travel from those. The point being to not get into a fight in the desert.

-Cota
Ender
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2004, 04:50:32 PM »

Man I downloaded the ai fix and the realism mod and the AI now kicks my butt.  Ship production is largely fixed as spartan and a couple other guys have run 100s of tests to see how they could reduce the naval problem.  I just hope my ego isn't hurt too much now that I can't win with my original tactics.

-Ender
Tampa_Gamer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2004, 10:13:09 PM »

I posted this question on the Gone Gold thread, but it never got answered, here goes again - it appears from the mapped keys that there is something called "Camera Positions" that you can cycle to.  I am thinking this is similar to the positions used in Earth 2150 and Warzone 2100 where you could quickly flip to different "hot spots" that you had previously marked instead of manually moving the camera to the new position.  Has anyone gotten this to work yet?

Also, started a long campaign, and sure enough 14 cities into it, I CTDd and now CTD every time I try and load the save game.  Any word on the arrival of the estimated second patch?

-TG

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
-General George S. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: