http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:44:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome: Total War  (Read 6921 times)
WW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »

How is it? Is it as good as Medieval : Total war? I was just starting check GG about it. Then the forum fell.

I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe
 WW
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 10:45:39 PM »

I never played the previous TW games, and I don't even consider myself a fan of strategy games, but this is a stellar title not to be missed.  The almost cinematic real time battles are spectacular, but the Campaign Map is just as rewarding.  I could go on and on, but there's my quick opinion.

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 02:26:42 AM »

It's superb. And one of the great things about it is that because you start as one of the Roman factions, you think "man, this is sooo easy!" - then when you play a game as one of the non-Roman factions, you find out how hard it can be.  But by that point, you've learned how to play and now your way around the interface. Very nice design.

Really, get the game, it's a great one.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 04:40:20 AM »

I bought MTW for the sake of doing the fights, but never really got into it enough to begin to make sense of the campaign map.

Well, along came RTW and I really wanted to give it a try.  Luckily, I had the chance to get the game for free (No piracy) and I took it.

The game is very easy to get in to.  I've barely even opened the manual and I've got it figured out.  The in-game help is amazing.  The campaign map is great.  The fights are amazing.  Everything about this game is great.

It has a few bugs in it, but none are major enough to bug me.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 04:43:34 AM »

Firingsquad said it "may be the best strategy game ever made".

PC Gamer: "Everything we've seen points to it being an epic and brilliant masterpiece"

PC Zone "the most ambitious and all-conquering RTS the world has ever seen"

I concur.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 04:59:24 AM »

I don't.  Calling it an RTS is a crime.  That's only giving half the game credit.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 11:11:58 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Firingsquad said it "may be the best strategy game ever made".

PC Gamer: "Everything we've seen points to it being an epic and brilliant masterpiece"

PC Zone "the most ambitious and all-conquering RTS the world has ever seen"

I concur.

It is one of the most amazing game I have played this year. Very immersive, appears to suit either a quick pick up and blast or a longer game time. Totally hooked smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 12:59:56 PM »

I really don't even consider myself a strategy game fan, but Rome: Total War has probably cost me at least 40-50 hours of my life so far. If you are even a mild fan of this type of game you should enjoy it immensely.

Plus it got me to stop playing Sims 2 which has got to be a good thing.  :lol:
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 06:18:49 AM »

I picked up RTW just before a four day weekend (yay fall break) and it's a good thing.  If I'd picked it up before I probably would have gurranteed myself failing a couple of classes!

The game is way too much fun.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:39:52 AM »

I didn't like Medieval too much, but RTW has me sucked in.  The game is superb in every way and I just love the time period it is taking place in.  Gotta love letting the hounds of war go.

Just another Swede
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 08:40:08 AM »

This game sucks, because it's ruining my life!

smile

Seriously, it's wayyyyyy better than any TW game before. It is in fact as good as all the hype said, which is very rare thing indeed.

No wife here, no wife there. Grrrreat, it's gaaaaming time!
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 01:08:11 PM »

Solid game.  I'm just scratching the surface but I like it a lot.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 02:12:42 PM »

I'd say R:TW is right up there on my list of all time games already.  Plus with the support from CA and the community that are developing for mods, Rome's longevity promises to long outlive the basic campaign.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 03:19:52 PM »

Game of the Year material.

Nice to see that the CGFE works here as well.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 05:17:40 PM »

Amazing game one of the best I have played in along time.

Scott
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 03:52:06 AM »

I liked Shogun.  I really liked Medieval.  I just picked up Rome tonight, with the full and total intention of loving it... after a few quick battles and the tutorial, I'm thinking this is going to be an easy, easy game to love.

Anonymous
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 03:53:44 AM »

Best game ever!  Well, maybe not, but right up there for me.  As a historical buff, and someone that enjoys excellent strategy games, I am in heaven.  Rome is definitely better then Medieval, if for nothing else then the new campaign map.  Easily my game of the year.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 03:55:33 AM »

I guess you can post messages as a guest.  Anyway, the above post was mine (didn't login first apparently  biggrin ).

Anyway, best game this year easily.

This game sucks, because it's ruining my life!

I completely agree.  I had been back to a normal sleep schedule until this game smile.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 03:56:23 AM »

Rome: Total War is definetly becoming one of my top favorites. Wonder what there next game will be.....they've mined most sources so far. I would dig a nice Napeolinic game, but I've seen one before that looks to be doing that. Can't remember the name though, the trailer had some VERY nice looking ship to ship battles going on at the end.
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 05:08:17 AM »

Ok, after playing through 1 1/2 campaigns, I still really really like the game, but it's flaws are more apparent so some of the glow is off.  It is better than MTW, but it promised so much more, but my expectations were higher and it doesn't quit deliver all that is promised - here are some of my gripes:

1)  The AI spams fleets needlessly, wasting precious denari.  I conquered Egypt and what did I find in the Red Sea?  Three full stack fleets!  What  the heck were they guarding against?  And don't get me going about the Julii - they had half a dozen full stack fleets parked outside Venetia, but couldn't build strong enough armies to conquer Gaul (I was playing as the Scipii).  The AI builds too many fleets but never uses them strategically.  They never blockade and only rarely launch invasions.

2)  The AI seemingly has a phobia about attacking forts but it seems real hit and miss.  Some people claim they never have a fort attacked and can lock down a section of the map by spamming forts w/ single unit garrisons, others say they do get attacked.

3)  The protectorate offer seems borked.  If a civ is down to one city, they ought to accept a protectorate rather than insulting me and my army waiting outside.

4)  Sucide generals in battles doesn't help the AI win any battles, much less awards smile

5)  You have some great diplomatic options but I'd like for the AI to approach me sometimes instead of me taking all the initiative.  It happens sometimes but still too rarely.

There's other stuff but it's late and tired.  The game is still very good, I'd buy it again, I'd just like CA to do a bit more around the strategic AI - that's the biggest flaw for me.

Grifman
Slater
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 05:17:48 AM »

Frankly, I just get frustrated after I'm pwned by the computer repeatedly and totally. My infantry (admittedly early game, un-upgraded principes) cannot stand up to /anything/ - gaulish warbands stomp all over them, Greek Hoplites totally massacre them /and/ are largely impervious to my cavalry (a charge from the rear will kill say, half, and the remainder strike back with a vengeance). And my archers can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Compared to M:TW, everything just seems to move so fast, and my armies are nigh-on wiped out every other battle unless I have a huge advantage of numbers.

Help me enjoy this game, I really want to. Tips? Mods? Anything.
MeSlayer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 05:20:30 AM »

Hey slater there is a big sticky post at the top of this fourm with a buttload of tips

very handy!
Slater
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 05:33:07 AM »

I know, I read it, but it doesn't tell me why my basic, bog-standard infantry have the staying power of a snowball in Hell. After the initial charge, shouldn't my shortsword-equipped principes be tearing huge swathes out of spear-toting hoplites? Entire 80 man units are laid to waste within about 20 seconds, it's all quite depressing.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 05:38:26 AM »

I found these articles also very useful

Very nicely written strategy guide
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/rome-total-war/551582p1.html

From the main forums
http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessageRange?topicID=9304.topic&start=1&stop=20

My own tip would be patience! The tendancy is to chuck men at the enemy, a lot of gain can be by holding off (unless siegeing) and waiting for them. Calvary make a huge difference, if you have them you can peel off round the flanks and whilst your main units are going from the front you hit then hard from the rear. A terrifying experience  :lol: I

If you manage to surround the enemy then hopefully your anhihalate them and also they tend to loose morale very quickly.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
MeSlayer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 05:49:58 AM »

Quote from: "Slater"
I know, I read it, but it doesn't tell me why my basic, bog-standard infantry have the staying power of a snowball in Hell. After the initial charge, shouldn't my shortsword-equipped principes be tearing huge swathes out of spear-toting hoplites? Entire 80 man units are laid to waste within about 20 seconds, it's all quite depressing.

Okay well I dunno about gauls

But ive fought greeks to death and am playing a campaign as greeks so phalanx fighting (edit but it would seem not spelling) is something ive done a few times

The main thing with greek hoplites is that they are only slightly mobile frontal death dealers.  when you are using principes and hastatii you do not have the power to hit them full on in the face, and even later with heavier infantry its still a bad idea.  Just picture in your head no matter how much armor they have the hoplites have a buttload of spear just waiting for your infantry.

The trick against hoplites is that to be effective they have to be "set" in phalanx mode (with their spears out and waiting).  So you have to split their battle line, fight on the defensive (ie let them attack you rather than they other way around) or hit them in the sides.

This mostly involves light infantry / light cavalry.  Principes arent awesome heavy infantry, but for the most part they can get the job long enough to distract the hoplites so that someone, anyone can hit them on the side.  Those big 10foot long spears dont turn so quick to the side : )

Also, a lot of people agree about the "too quick" battles mumbo jumbo, there are various mods at twcenter.net (i think thats the URL) that either a) slow down units footspeed b) increase units hitpoints so battles take longer) c) decrease the damage dealt.   On the downside the game is still fairly new so it could have unintended effects on the "realism" of all of the battles.

So yeah, in summation, vs hoplites speed in the side is really the main way of doing things.  Never right up the gut.  Its pointy death that way : (
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 06:11:33 AM »

Just about three hours in to an Imperial Campaign, but I have to echo Grifman's sentiments about the strategic AI. I'd also chime in that the tactical AI needs help too.

Some early observations...

(Playing on Very Hard/Very Hard)

This is my first game, so I expected to get slaughtered right away at the hardest level. Playing the Julii, I'm in a war with the Gauls, and managed to capture one fort to the north in the first couple of years. Then the enemy started appearing in great masses. I have no idea where they are getting all these troops, but I didn't have anything worthwhile to stop them. But...they don't attack me. One huge enemy army marched right by my capital to Rome, then turned around and headed back to another one of my cities, but it just stands around outside it, barbequeing for all I know. All I had inside was one unit of town watch, and they had over six hundred men outside my gates. Yikes. Why didn't they attack? Lack of siege equiment? Who knows?

Another massive army appeared to my north, and proceeded to wait and let my main army reinforce the lone town I had captured. That army outnumbered my main force in the field by 2 to 1, and should have come after me. Or it should have flattened the troops in the town: it outnumbered them by a 1,000 to 200 count.

The enemy also seems to leave small armies with good leaders vulnerable in the open. I've been able to pick off valuable enemy leaders with only about 200 men under them, while a huge 1,000-man army under the direction of a captain goes in circles right next to them.

I'm fighting for my life, which is fun, but given how badly outnumbered I was, I feel that I should have been crushed by now. They enemy should have attacked and taken at least one my towns, but they have danced around too long now and I have been able to reinforce most of the cities in danger. If the situations were reversed, I feel confident I could have taken at least two cities. They had over 2,000 men out there at one point, and I had only about 1,000 scattered over five cities.

Tactically, I've been able to slaughter whole units with archers while the enemy just rearranges themselves as they die. At least they should run away.

In another battle, the enemy let me slide right by them and take the high ground. Then they charged right at me, uphill. The charge didn't bother me, but why not do it when they had me right below them?

The game clearly oozes class in many places: music, graphics, atmosphere, attention to detail, etc. Wonderful job with all these things, but the AI feels almost broken at the strategic level, and lacking at the tactical level. I hope my feelings toward the game change as I play a bit more, but frankly, I'm a bit surprised at the praise the game has gotten so far.

However, if they can ratchet up the aggressiveness and quality of the strategic AI, and sharpen the tactical AI, I think this game could easily become one of my favorite games ever. Everything else is oustanding.

how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 06:26:09 AM »

Quote from: "CSL"
Rome: Total War is definetly becoming one of my top favorites. Wonder what there next game will be.....they've mined most sources so far. I would dig a nice Napeolinic game, but I've seen one before that looks to be doing that. Can't remember the name though, the trailer had some VERY nice looking ship to ship battles going on at the end.

Have you played AOW-SM? It's an awesome game. Combat is turn-based, not real time.

How786
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 08:17:49 AM »

Its been a very fun game so far but they definatly need to patch some of the bigger problems. The suicidal general AI makes it to easy to win battles, or a pain if its one of your generals who runs straight at the computer leaving his army behind. Also its sort of goofy that you can easily fix a rebellion in a town by simply exterminating it. You get lots of money and all the buildings still operate fine.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »

After the initial charge, shouldn't my shortsword-equipped principes be tearing huge swathes out of spear-toting hoplites?

The Hoplites will tear you apart if you attack them head on.  That is there speciality.  Think about it from a historical perspective.  How can your Hastai, with short swords, get close to an enemy wielding 12 foot long spears that they know how to use, and basically make a wall with?  

You need to hit the Hoplites from the sides, or even better from the back.  Hoplites are also very slow, use skirmishers to soften them.  Your Hastai are faster.  Worse case engage, then bring more from the side.  Also spread your Hastai out so they surround the Hoplites if possible.  You can also set your Hastai to unload all there javalins before engaging, not just one volley, and fall back.  

The Spartan Hoplites are particularly nasty, as they should be.  They will gut most troops.  After watching the Spartans fight on one of the decisive battle shows,  then trying to take them out in Sparta was fun.  They crushed so many of my units, took forever to surrond them and kill them.

---
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 02:22:07 PM »

The Hoplites will tear you apart if you attack them head on. That is there speciality. Think about it from a historical perspective. How can your Hastai, with short swords, get close to an enemy wielding 12 foot long spears that they know how to use, and basically make a wall with?

He did say "after the initial charge."  Once sword-wielding infantry have closed to within less than a spear's length you'd think they would have an advantage.  If enough of them have survived that far.

Or is your point that against a well trained phalanx, the infantry would never be able to close to that distance?
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 02:23:07 PM »

Quote from: "how786"

Have you played AOW-SM? It's an awesome game. Combat is turn-based, not real time.

How786

Agreed AOW:SM is great and Rome Total War actually feels quite similar to me, in the way the strategic wrapper meshes with the tactical battles.  (The tactical engine is totally different of course, but the AoW tactical battles have a lot of charm.)
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 02:33:52 PM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"
Quote from: "how786"

How786

Agreed AOW:SM is great and Rome Total War actually feels quite similar to me, in the way the strategic wrapper meshes with the tactical battles.  (The tactical engine is totally different of course, but the AoW tactical battles have a lot of charm.)

I've played AOW:SM not too appealing to me.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 02:35:17 PM »

For those of you having problems with the campaign AI, you might look through this thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11196&st=0

I've had pretty good luck with the changes and it's designed fairly well to even up the factions.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »

He did say "after the initial charge." Once sword-wielding infantry have closed to within less than a spear's length you'd think they would have an advantage. If enough of them have survived that far.

Or is your point that against a well trained phalanx, the infantry would never be able to close to that distance?

The initial charge will put the Hastai, Princepes, etc. right on the end of the Hoplites spears.  Unless the Hoplites have broken somehow, or aren't in formation, there is no point at which the Roman troops can close through the wall.  If the Romans can get into sword range, the battle is over, but the whole point of the Hoplites is to not let that happen.  You have to somehow flank them, and when there are multiple effective units, that is tough.

The battle that occurred in Cynoscephalae between the Macedonians and Romans showed the Roman troops vs the hoplites.  Basically, the Macedonian s were slow to form one wing, and the Romans exploited this.  They beat this part of the army before the phalanxes were setup, then hit the other side of the Macedonian army from behind and massacred them.  Until then, the Hoplites were effectly driving the Romans back.  

Everyone that likes Rome: Total War should watch Decisive battles.  Not only are the shows educational, but a lot of effective tips and strategies to use from the great leaders of all time smile.

---
Kraegor2
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 04:01:49 PM »

He did say "after the initial charge." Once sword-wielding infantry have closed to within less than a spear's length you'd think they would have an advantage. If enough of them have survived that far.

heh  the point of a phalanx is that if you get past the first row a spears there is a nice set of spears in the second row to ram down your throat.. .

so walkin straight up to the front of a phalanx = suicide.

i'm playin the game on very hard.  pre-marius  just about everyone has stronger troops than me..  in a straight infantry vs. infantry fight, I lose.

so the only way to win, imo, is to use roman mobility.  get a couple squads of equites.  the ONLY thing principes/hastati are good for is to occupy an enemy.  keep him busy...then bring in cavalry to ram 'em in the throat and cause em to rout.  it's really cool when things get timed so well that you cause 4 or 5 units to consecutively rout in rapid succession...battle goes from risky to slaughter in no  time.

or  try to force a battle in the woods.  and set up ambushes to force the enemy to break up his army into pieces ...etc..etc..
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 05:43:07 PM »

Any good sites with unit and building descriptions?  I'd like to figure out what all the temples do through their evolutions, and what troops each faction gets.

---
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2004, 05:44:18 PM »

heh the point of a phalanx is that if you get past the first row a spears there is a nice set of spears in the second row to ram down your throat.. .

Oh good point, I guess the spears are staggered that way.

Given these strengths, why did phalanxes become relatively obsolete in later ancient warfare?  Not maneuverable enough?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 06:10:57 PM »

Given these strengths, why did phalanxes become relatively obsolete in later ancient warfare? Not maneuverable enough?

Yeah, they were completely inflexible on the battlefield, where the legions were designed from the ground up with tactical flexibility in mind.  That and they were completely focused on putting hte hitting power to the front, while the flanks and rear are completely exposed.  Once you get the hang of tieing up and flanking phalanxes I'm sure you will see this in action.

s

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2004, 06:36:26 PM »

Is it too late to say how awesome this game is?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2004, 08:06:26 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Is it too late to say how awesome this game is?

Nope, this game rocks...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: