http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:20:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome: Total War how to play Carthage  (Read 2377 times)
WW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2004, 02:43:30 PM »

Anyone, how the heck do you play Carthage? The Romans own the sea so there is no way not to lose Sardina and Sicily. Then I just start losing money till my weak troops lose my cities. Is there any way to win?

I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe
 WW
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 08:03:55 AM »

No don't lose Sicily!

In fact, try to ally with the Greeks to keep Sicily.  They're far enough away that they won't be bothering you for a while, that's if they survive the Macedonians and the Romans coming after them.  The second priority is to keep your island city just Northwest of Sicily.  Keeping those islands is important not only for trade, but it keeps the romans off your doorstep.

The goal with Carthage is to get your economy running, pump out units on sicily if you have the population, or transfer units there, but the priority is to get as much trade, preferably sea trade, going so that you can outspend your opponents early on.  Sea trade is crucial to Carthage.

Yes, that means building a lot of crappy units for a long time while building up your economy, but you'll have to win on tactics and numbers.

Try to ally with the numidians, do not expect this alliance to last long, as the only place the numidians can expand is into your territory.  Hopefully, you'll have enough cash to fight off the Numidians by the time they attack.

Send out some diplomats early on to get as many trade agreements with various factions as you can.  Build better ports in your cities so that trade goods will flow into your ports and not other nations.

As for combat, yes, your men suck, against the romans they suck hard.  However, early on the romans don't have much cavalry beyond their general's heavy cavalry.  Use superior numbers and terrain to your advantage.  Never fight on his terms or you will lose.  Thus, make sure your armies are always on a hill, forest or some terrain feature when attacking or being attacked.

If you aren't already doing so, build watchtowers everywhere.  Watchtower network was so good, I could spot aggressive maneuvers, even at sea, long before they threatened me.

Oh, and rarely use auto resolve with Carthage, you'll have to fight a lot of your battles.

You'll also need a lot of good diplomats, they can use all that trade money to good effect.

As for the city in Spain, they're somewhat isolated, and will be for most of the game.  I don't know the consequences of losing that city as I haven't lost it in my game.  I would suggest trying, if you can, to ally with the gauls early on to prevent the Julii from adding to your roman problems, this way the gauls won't ally with Spain against you, pulling much needed forces away from their fight with the romans.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 02:49:51 PM »

In game balance terms, Carthage gets a weak starting hand in the basic game.  You can win as them, but it's a pretty tough game.

In addition to what Turtle said I usually try to launch a small offensive in Spain if I can spare the troops.  Corboba is fortunately a good base of operations and can reinforce itself if I remember correctly.  At the very least do all you can to avoid losing Cordoba since it can bring you in some good trade money.  The Spanish have some decent troops, but the lay of the land down south makes your city very defensible and you should be able to hold it pretty easily.

If you keep having trouble, you might look into the Total Realism mod.  Besides balancing the starting factions a little better, balancing the long term game, and matching the AI routines up better with each nation, it also adds a lot of realism to the game (duh smile).

Here's a link to the list of features as well.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=287236

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 05:45:42 AM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
In game balance terms, Carthage gets a weak starting hand in the basic game.  You can win as them, but it's a pretty tough game.

In addition to what Turtle said I usually try to launch a small offensive in Spain if I can spare the troops.  Corboba is fortunately a good base of operations and can reinforce itself if I remember correctly.  At the very least do all you can to avoid losing Cordoba since it can bring you in some good trade money.  The Spanish have some decent troops, but the lay of the land down south makes your city very defensible and you should be able to hold it pretty easily.

If you keep having trouble, you might look into the Total Realism mod.  Besides balancing the starting factions a little better, balancing the long term game, and matching the AI routines up better with each nation, it also adds a lot of realism to the game (duh smile).

Here's a link to the list of features as well.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=287236

s

This would be a cool mod to try by the sound of it.  Unfortunatley, I'm not able to download it because the links seem to be broken. :cry:
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 02:43:15 PM »

Hmmm that's odd... seems like it works for me.

Well here's a link to the forum for the mod and a direct link to the mod download at any rate, maybe one of those will work. smile

Mod Forum:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=53

Mod Installer

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »

The link to the R:TW site was working, it was the actual download mirrors at TW that weren't working for me.  I just tried the one you posted above and it worked fine.  Thanks for the link Sepiche!  Off to install 4.0 now.  Sounds like its going to play quite differently, should be more fun. smile
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 06:18:23 PM »

How do you play any race, besides the Romans, in campaign? I haven't played Rome for a while, but remember only seeing an option for Rome in the campaign mode.
Is there something I'm missing?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 07:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
How do you play any race, besides the Romans, in campaign? I haven't played Rome for a while, but remember only seeing an option for Rome in the campaign mode.

With the normal game you have to either beat a game as one of the Roman factions, or grab one of the mods out there that will unlock all of them.

Here's a link to the thread that talks about the mod.

The Total Realism mod unlocks all of the factions by default.

s

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 02:50:13 AM »

I was about to answer this, but I already posted on the subject at Octopus Overlords for WAW, which I just realized is you since you are both from Albany, NY.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 02:54:47 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

There are actually a few different mods.  Be careful with the Total Realism Mod, it changes a lot of the game.  I personally used one of the basic faction unlocking mods HERE, where ALL the known mods in creation are listed for download (well, most of the mods anyways).

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: