http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:29:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome: Total War Help/Advice Thread  (Read 5501 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 05:36:36 AM »

Ok, just like it was in GG.  Post your questions/answers/tips here, and I'll add them to the FAQ, which can be found here...

http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13276#13276
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 06:14:03 AM »

Yes, I had a question asked just before Gone Gold went down.

What is the culture penalty in the settlement details screen? Where does that come from and how can I combat it?

-Cota
MeSlayer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 08:46:45 AM »

as far as i know, culture penalty is based on how different your culture is versus the culture that the city was before

however the people in the city assimilate to your culture, but fairly slowly (not sure on the rate, it aint TOO fast though - ~5% / turn?)

I think it might assimilate faster if there are less people in the town ?   It would make sense...

Feel free to correct any errors on my part, Im sure they are glaring : )
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 11:00:59 AM »

How do you move your capital?

Scott

Scott
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:03:44 AM »

Might help if I read the faq :shock:

Scott
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 01:53:59 PM »

Taken from my post over in the FAQ thread since this is now the place to add this sort of thing!

My advice for assassins: When you make them, have them kill everything in sight. Rebel captains, enemy faction captains, the occassional enemy diplomat. I found them to be "soft" targets yet with every successful kill they have the chance to add a trait which should increase the chance of killing a higher level targets like an army general, enemy faction heirs, and so on. The occasional sabotage mission where you send them into a city before a siege to destroy a structure builds experience too. Just don't go too crazy and destroy too many things which may be of use.

My advice for warships: Like assassins, have them kill everything in sight in order to get experience so they can hold their own when you finally start making enemies of the other Roman factions which I notice have substantial navies. Also remember, like army units, they can get retrained for better weaponry and replenished too at dock facilities.

Question about AI reinforcements during a siege: When conducting a siege, is it even worth it to have AI reinforcements? I had a city surrounded on three sides and the enemy was drawn off to one part of the city while I was breaching the walls on the other side. However, my so-called reinforcements didn't seem to try and breach the walls and in one siege where the reinforcements were behind me they actually stopped outside the gate and wouldn't enter the city. The troops under my command had to capture the city on their own and the streets ran red with my enemy's blood of course. But it would have been easier if my AI reinforcement pitched in a little.

Correction or clarification of one of the Tips in the FAQ:

Quote:
# If you bribe a city you don't get the troops in it so make sure you have troops with your diplomat to move in right away or the city will (always?) revolt at the end of the turn. It is a bit annoying that you can't bribe troops to join you, but it was pretty unbalancing in M:TW anyway

Actually, not only was I able to bribe some Germanic family members while attacking the Germanic tribes who became part of my family tree I am able to bribe captains of enemy armies as well whose troops I then was able to control. Should have made more diplomats early on. Embarassed

So you may not get the troops inside a city (haven't really bribed a city much since the few times I tried I wasn't successful), but I have had good luck bribing an army in the field!

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »

How do you move your capital?

There's a button, I think it's on the city details page, in the lower left corner that is a "Move Capital to here" button.

Edit:
As far as bribing goes, I believe by default by bribing you pay a lesser amount to make the enemy disband, but if some of the units in the army are playable by your faction, those units will join you for a slightly higher fee.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 03:27:30 PM »

Quote from: "Cota"

What is the culture penalty in the settlement details screen? Where does that come from and how can I combat it?

-Cota

Three ways to combat culture:

1. Exterminate everyone in the city; or
2. Tear down the pagan temples and put up your own.
3. Disband troops in the city. Mercenaries dont count toward pop increases.

Oh, this would have fallen under the cool moments in RTW thread.

I was doing a quick battle siege of Rome and was having fun hurling fierly bolders into the city and watching Rome burn. :twisted:

I noticed that the only building the i couldn't burn was the aqueduct full of water. Just an observation of the cool attention to details by the devs.
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 05:39:25 PM »

-Cota

They will assimilate over time, but you can speed it up by tearing down their temples and building those of your own culture.  You can also build units in that city decreasing the local population, then disband other units there, increasing the Roman part of the population.  Kind of like colonizing with your retired legionnaires smile

Grifman
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 05:46:42 PM »

Someone on Qt3 said that all foreign buildings, not just temple types, create a culture penalty unless they are destroyed or upgraded into a "home style" building.  I don't know if this is true and when I did an experiment, destroying every building in a newly captured city, it didn't seem to alter the culture penalty.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »

How can you see the building 'tech' tree in the game?  I found it once by accident, and now I can't again.  Somehow I pulled up a screen that had all the buildings I had, and what they could eventually become, with information on each.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 08:24:51 PM »

Regarding the Culture Penalty. That's good info, thanks everyone.

It would be a logistical challenge but I wonder if it would be worth it to bring a stack of peasants from home along with your distant armies to disband into a newly conquered foreign city.

By the way, is there any way to see who the populace of a city is culturally attatched to?

-Cota
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 08:25:10 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
How can you see the building 'tech' tree in the game?  I found it once by accident, and now I can't again.  Somehow I pulled up a screen that had all the buildings I had, and what they could eventually become, with information on each.

On the city screen and I think the unit screen as well where you can queue up buildings/units there are three (or four?) small round buttons on the bottom left.  One of them is called I believe the "building browser".  Click on it and the building tree should come up.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 08:39:07 PM »

By the way, is there any way to see who the populace of a city is culturally attatched to?

None that I am aware of.  I'm not even entirely certain if the penalty is attached to the population itself, or is simply an assigned penalty that degrades over time.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 01:23:25 AM »

FAQ has been updated.  I'll get today's post updated tomorrow.
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 01:32:14 AM »

Regarding the Culture Penalty. That's good info, thanks everyone.

-Cota

No, it's really not relevant - they just aren't yours.  That said, I think at least some of the cultures are:

Roman
Hellenistic - Greeks, Macedonians, Seleucids, Pontus
Eastern - Egyptian, Parthians, Armenians, Carthage (?)
Barbarian - Gauls, Germans, Britons, Scythians, Dacians

I've seen some post on this but can't necessarily remember all of them.

Grifman
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 02:49:42 AM »

I'm playing as Gauls now and beginning to see a potentially big squalor problem.  Any civs that don't have the plumbing track would seem to be at a big disadvantage in this regard.  It didn't seem as much of an issue when I played as Romans.
MeSlayer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 03:15:08 AM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"
I'm playing as Gauls now and beginning to see a potentially big squalor problem.  Any civs that don't have the plumbing track would seem to be at a big disadvantage in this regard.  It didn't seem as much of an issue when I played as Romans.

Yeah, youd think those dirty barbarians wouldnt care all that much, seeing as how they are used to all the doodoo in the road

then again, they probably shouldnt be having huge cities to begin with, so maybe they arent fans of that much squalor

I suppose it does work out.
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 03:18:52 AM »

Barbarian cities have a size limitation so that they don't need fancy indoor toilets smile

Grifman
Daveman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 03:46:54 AM »

I think the architectural style of the towns is a slight graphical indication of what each regions culture is.  There are Roman/Greek-looking towns, Middle Eastern towns, and those circular towns that are built up on mounds.  You can see the differences even on the strategic map.

It's just a general guide, but I've found it to be a pretty good one.  I just don't know about the "Barbarian" style towns as they're spread out all over the map.  For example, do the Britons get along well with the Mongol types?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 04:03:17 AM »

Learned the hard way that  you do NOT want to be investigated by the Senate.  I forgot to pull one of my armies out of land they asked me to not be in.  They fined me 90% of what I had.  OUCH!  Thank God I save before every turn   :twisted:

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 05:31:19 AM »

Quote from: "Grifman"

Barbarian cities have a size limitation so that they don't need fancy indoor toilets smile

Grifman

Really?  You mean they cap at Large City or something?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 01:45:48 PM »

I think the architectural style of the towns is a slight graphical indication of what each regions culture is.

My experience is this is based on what faction built the current government building in the town.  For instance if I take a greek city, on the campaign map the city will look greek in style, but once the town reaches the next size level and I build the next government building it will appear roman on the map.

s

Kraegor2
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »

with regards to culture penaly, a colliseum helps speed up assimilation.  i would assume academies etc also help as do the aforemention "churches".  another way to minimize culture penalty is that when you capture a settlement...exterminate the populace...you basically klil the native population....it's what i do for quick cash and it shuts those culturists  the F%$K UP!  slywink

squalor....thats sorta screwed up...it is caused in part by a city growing too fast.  if squalor is just out of control one way to do it is to "transplant" the population.

basically whenever you build troops it subtracts that number from your population.  if you were to  queue  up say 7 peasant troops you would subtract that many citizens from your city.  and depending on city size you would see squalor reduce in the city.  I have used this method for cities on the verge of revolt due to squalor.  it put the populace back into manageable control.    now your options are to keep the peasants station in town to help improve your garrison or you can take your pissant army and hike them over to one of your underpopulated cities...disband them and they will join the populace of the city they are now in.  it's a funky form of population control but it is the least violent method.

of course there is option 3...take your pissant army and have them suicide against a superior enemy force, heh.
Kraegor2
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 06:48:50 PM »

oh yeah some folks use option 4...which is  empty your garrison..let the city revolt...recapture the city...and exterminate or enslave the populace...it's brutal but some folks liken it to being "histoically accurate"  heh.  personally i think it's too messy smile
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2004, 06:49:44 PM »

It still seems to me nonRomans are kinda screwed.  No Academy line of buildings, no Sewer line of buildings.  (At least not for Gauls, haven't tried other nonRoman civs.)

I guess that is meant to be a feature of gameplay, i.e. a Gaul civilization wouldn't be able to handle cities of that size.  Even if there is a cap preventing Gaul Huge Cities (which I would like someone to confirm), Large Cities still develop a fair amount of squalor and can be difficult to manage.  But when it becomes a case of me actively trying to keep population down it's sort of a drag.  How do you do that anyway?  Just recruit scads of peasant armies and send them off to die?  Avoiding farm upgrades will only take you so far, and raising taxes to slow growth carries the corrolary effect that it also increases unrest, which is just what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

kraegor: OK thanks for that tip, I guess you already anticipated one of the things I was asking.  Still a pretty clumsy system that forces you to do things like that though.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2004, 07:05:20 PM »

It still seems to me nonRomans are kinda screwed. No Academy line of buildings, no Sewer line of buildings.

I know the greek factions get those, not sure about the eastern factions.

From what I understand the reasoning behind that for the barbarians (besides historical precidents) is that they have much smaller tech trees and don't require their cities to be as large in order to produce the top tier units.

s

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2004, 07:09:07 PM »

Yeah, it makes historical sense.  And Gauls get some good bonuses -- shrines to pump out experienced units, some very powerful units like Chosen Swordsmen and Forester Warband that can be cranked out relatively early, etc.  Pop management still seems to be a bit of a hassle even at the Large City level though.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 07:38:27 PM »

Gaul infantry armies are still quite effective, as I just found out as the Cartrhaginians.  Since the basic warband all carry spears, it's like you've got an army of spearment just lying around.
Kraegor2
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 07:39:02 PM »

foresters are NASTY!!  hide anywhere...long range attack...they have a massive effect on my battle tactics vs the gauls...

chosen swordmen are a nightmare too, heh.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2004, 08:22:44 PM »

Barbarian mercenaries blow smile I am at the stage pre-marius, having conquered most of the barbarian lands, one macedonian city, and two carthaginian ones. I often hire barbarian mercenaries whenever possible and always put them in the front ranks. That absorbs the massive damage of spearman or phalanx and allows me to let the hastati use their javelins and then swarm in from the sides or in the gaps in the barbarian lines, and I send 2-3 cavarly units around the flanks to deal with generals or hit the rear of spearlines.

So far its been an excellent tactic, although i realize that the AI on normal/normal is just too easy at this point. I dont really WANT to start over, but I am thinking to download a mod or two and start again on hard/hard or something. Very good stuff, even if I only find myself playing for 30 mins or so every day.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2004, 08:39:13 PM »

but I am thinking to download a mod or two and start again on hard/hard or something.

If you pick up the Realism mod, be ready for a challenge... money is A LOT tighter in addition to facing a much more aggresive threat from Carthage and others.

s

Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2004, 11:21:46 PM »

Grifman

Really?  You mean they cap at Large City or something?

Or something is the answer.  Sorry, I'm not sure of the specifics, I just know they cap from both reading and experience.  If you really need to know I'll bet a search of the forums at totalwar.org will tell you.

Grifman
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 12:14:56 AM »

Hey Grifman what was your endgame in the Rome: Total War campaign?  I chose to do the long campaign for my first game which is still ongoing.  If I had to do it over again I would have chosen something a bit shorter just to get my feet wet but it's too late now since it's now around 140 BC with all of Gaul, Spain and Germania under my rule with Britannia soon to follow along with Rome in my grip.  

When I found out that the people of Rome were "receptive" to a regime change I sacked Rome and of course made enemies of all the other Roman families.  I had prepositioned troops early in the game near Rome and had spies in the city itself so taking the city wasn't too hard.  What's the time limit on the campaign if there is any?  My holdings bordering the Brutii are weak in certain places and I need time to shift troops to the area.  Wrapping up the Britannia campaign will free up needed and experienced troops.  The Julli seem to be contained and I've beaten them badly when they attacked one my North African holdings.  I'm a little concerned about my navy since I am outnumbered on the sea but it seems that they are not blockading any of my ports from what I can tell.  Can I bribe one of the Roman factions to join me?  I'm having alot of fun bribing all the Brutii armies I find in the field with one of my diplomats.  I'm kicking myself for not training more diplomats and I hope the one that's currently a major power broker doesn't kick off.

That's all I can think of for now.  If there isn't a time limit I think it will be a long but possibly successful campaign.  I have 30 or so provinces already.  If there is a time limit though, I think I may have waited to long to expand in the beginning and I'll lose by a just a few provinces.

Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 12:46:17 AM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"
Hey Grifman what was your endgame in the Rome: Total War campaign?

Not sure what you mean, but I finished a long campaign as the Scipii.  Won by about 160 BC.

When I found out that the people of Rome were "receptive" to a regime change I sacked Rome and of course made enemies of all the other Roman families.  I had prepositioned troops early in the game near Rome and had spies in the city itself so taking the city wasn't too hard.  What's the time limit on the campaign if there is any?

With the Scipii, it was kind of strange.  I've played a campaign with the Julii up to the point the Senate outlaws me - a couple of times - and it always seemed to happen when I got to 30 provinces.  However, I was mistaken about that.  With the Scipii, I got alot of Senate missions that I could complete even as I got over 40 provinces.  Then when they told me to kill myself, I went for the throne.  Took Southern Italy, Rome and a few Greek provinces (from the Brutii) and the game was over.

I think you have until about 16 AD to complete the game, then time's up.

My holdings bordering the Brutii are weak in certain places and I need time to shift troops to the area.  Wrapping up the Britannia campaign will free up needed and experienced troops.  The Julli seem to be contained and I've beaten them badly when they attacked one my North African holdings.  I'm a little concerned about my navy since I am outnumbered on the sea but it seems that they are not blockading any of my ports from what I can tell.

That's one of the AI's biggest flaws IMO.  They build huge fleets which waste a ton of resources - but even worse, they don't do anything with them.  No blockades, though they sometimes will invade islands, they don't do amphibious landings behind your lines.  CA really needs to fix the fleet building algorthim.

Can I bribe one of the Roman factions to join me?  I'm having alot of fun bribing all the Brutii armies I find in the field with one of my diplomats.  I'm kicking myself for not training more diplomats and I hope the one that's currently a major power broker doesn't kick off.

Nope, they want to be emperor too smile

That's all I can think of for now.  If there isn't a time limit I think it will be a long but possibly successful campaign.  I have 30 or so provinces already.  If there is a time limit though, I think I may have waited to long to expand in the beginning and I'll lose by a just a few provinces.

Good luck, Imperator smile

Grifman
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 12:52:37 AM »

Grifman

Sigh, I miss my old tag... frown

Going to have to put some populations under the sword to lift my spirits! :twisted:

By the way, did you exterminate the population of Rome when you sacked it?  I couldn't bring myself to do it since I came as a liberator not as a conqueror!

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 01:42:07 AM »

Faq has been updated and can be found here.  http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1166
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2004, 02:58:05 AM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"

Grifman

Sigh, I miss my old tag... frown

Going to have to put some populations under the sword to lift my spirits! :twisted:

By the way, did you exterminate the population of Rome when you sacked it?  I couldn't bring myself to do it since I came as a liberator not as a conqueror!

No, I've found you don't have to enslave or exterminate Roman populations if you are Roman, they accept your glorious rule quite readily.

Grifman
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2004, 04:55:28 PM »

so, are we done?  smile  I think the demise of GG ruined the momentum

I had a minor update yesterday but forgot to email the document to my home computer so I'll update it on Monday.

Figured I'll give it one last push.

I had a fun time doing this, and I learned more things while working on the faq.  I'm glad it helped many other people as well.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2004, 06:33:27 PM »

forgive me if this is covered in the FAQ as i looked but didn't see, but how does one transfer a retinue to another member of the faction?  i've seen that i can select a member of the retinue and even drag the icon around but i'm not sure what to do with it...thanks in advance.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: