http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:42:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romance of the Three Kingdoms  (Read 1614 times)
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:55:56 PM »

I had this game back in NES days and I remember having a good time with it. Are the new versions of this any good? Anything else similar out?
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:30:03 AM »

I enjoy them.  Not many changes in the graphical department (and I mean that only half-jokingly), but the game is a lot deeper.  There have been some ups and downs in the series, like the addition of magic (which I don't like), but it remains pretty solid.  I don't know if I would reccomend one over the other since they don't change TOO much.  Just a few tweaks and new features here and there, some better executed than others.  I would say just grab whichever one you can find cheapest (probably VII) and jump in.  See if it is the same game you remember enjoying and go from there.

I wish they would make another Nobunaga's Ambition.  At least they put it out for the (original) GameBoy, so I can still enjoy it on something modern.  Hell, even another Genghis Khan title would be nice.

I don't think there is really anything else like it on the console, unfortunately.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:40:24 AM »

Where is PJ when you need him?

Here are some of his reviews of the most recent ones:
http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/79.html (looks like he forgot the number values! hahah)
http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/128.html

They are definately a strategy gamers game though...no high-pace here.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:52:09 AM »

Ron, clearly he felt part 8 made a total shammockery of the series!  I think his rating the replay value at 1 is a bit harsh, as these games do tend to play out differently each time.  Oh well, at least he was able to revisit the series with part 9 and give it an honest try after his dissapointment with the previous installment.  Apparently part 9 is a return to the roots of the series.  It's good to see things are back on track!

Having read that, I'd hate to see his review of Koei's "Naval Ops" series.  Those are a real snore-fest, even for fans of the genre.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:51:23 AM »

I didn't even think to look on this site for reviews  :oops: . I'm still used to how Gone Gold, may she rest in peace , was only a forum.

Based on those reviews I think I'll be picking up IX. Now I just need to go out and get that PS2....

I wish they would release strategy games like this for the Xbox so I wouldn't have to get a PS2.  confused
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »

Heh! Thats funny.  As soon as I opened up the forums this morning I saw ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS and was like... THERES ANOTHER ONE?  YESSS. *click*  ohhh.  nuts.  slywink

WTF?!  Yeah the numbers for ROTK VIII are screwed up...  Must've happened during the site move/update a while back.  I actually liked that version (VIII) quite a bit but it was more for the role-playing of the individual officers that i liked it.  Theres a HUGE difference between VIII and IX.  I like both.  IX for the faster paced and better focus on war strategy and VIII for its focus on individual officers.  In VIII you pretty much control a single officer and can start him as a ronin-type guy and get hired and work your way up the chain (you can also start him as a ruler).  In IX you are always the ruler of a force (much more like the early games like I, II and III) but the battle system is way different but much better IMHO.  biggrin  I know it sounds crazy but I can't wait for the next one. Tongue

Someone should fix those numbers: slywink
GRAPHICS: 64
SOUND/MUSIC: 89
CONTROLS: 95 (not much there to screw up)
GAMEPLAY: 94
VALUE/REPLAY VALUE: 96

Not sure how that calculates in the end.  I will say that you have to like the genre to enjoy the game though.  No action-only lovers here.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 03:43:13 PM »

Hey Jack,

How good\bad was version 7?
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 03:57:01 PM »

ROTK VII was much closer to VIII than anything else.  THey both had individual officer focus.  Its been a while so I really can't remember much else.  I will say that, from memory, VIII is a super-souped up VII, with a better battle system.  I remember not liking battles from VII but liked them in VIII.

And let me finish by saying that for VII, VIII AND IX, I played each of them for 2 days straight without sleep (well maybe an hour here and there) as soon as I picked them up.  So I may be biased.  I really like that series.  I've played every single one since the first one on the PC. I also played the Genghis Khan series and Nobunaga's Ambition.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 04:50:34 PM »

AHHH.  And for fans of the ROTK series and/or Dynasty Warriors series, I HIGHLY recommend these books:
Three Kingdoms  

Make sure you get the full version and NOT the abridged version.  Get to know the officers you're playing! slywink

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 06:13:38 PM »

My personal favorite from Koei was Bandit Kings of Ancient China for NES. To me that was even better than Nobunaga's Ambition I or RTK I.

Kind of tough to find now, even on Ebay.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 04:39:52 PM »

Well, the score has been changed, although it'll take our database a bit to fix that little bug.

Whoops.

As far as reviews go, yes, we do have quite a few. Look around on our review page for what we have. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »

Takes me back. I used to play ROT3K with my friend as well as Ghengis Khan II on my snes. We managed to win one game in ROT3K and never got really far in Ghengis Khan. I used to play Japan and he'd play the Mongols. He had great generals but no resources and I had resources and crappy generals. Still fun times.

Ascendent
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 02:42:29 PM »

I realize this is the Console forum, but I thoguht I'd mention if anyone was interested, there is a Rome:Total War mod starting up already over at the mod forums at http://www.twcenter.net that is setting out to make a ROTK mod for the game.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 03:42:44 PM »

That's awesome. I'll have to keep my eyes on that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: