http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:43:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Impressions  (Read 7099 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:38:40 PM »

In keeping with the tradition of 'no real impressions on the first page' please help fill this space so that we can get to some impressions of this hopefully great game.

Thanks

Orgull

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 03:41:01 PM »

I still don't have the game yet, but hopefully I should have it an c few days.  I can't wait to hear what people have to say.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 03:47:02 PM »

Getting my copy in a few hours.  However, I've got three other games I've picked up in the last few days and haven't had a chance to play, so might not get impressions until tomorrow.

Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 03:48:03 PM »

Wow, it's out already?  I haven't been inundated with hype so I figured it was at least 6 months off.

Who reads these anyway?
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 04:05:27 PM »

I got my call and will picking it up this afternoon, but since I just got GTA San Andreas I think RCT3 may be gathering dust for a little while... well, I guess I could install it and tell you about that  :wink:
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 05:44:34 PM »

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
anyone with the game hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Are we realy going to page two here frown

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 06:14:04 PM »

Darnit, I know that GameStop already got their shipment in and RCT3 is in those boxes, its just gonna take them till 1 or 2PM to get to the box I want.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 06:17:23 PM »

installing now...
Be back later

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 06:20:33 PM »

Aah thank you Rob M.

I'm really concerned about RCT 3 because ATARI's track record for overhyping games and then releasing unfinished crap is becoming almost legendary. (MOO3, TOEE, etc.)

I really want RCT 3 to be the "Best Rollercoaster Game Ever". (crosses fingers)

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 07:51:51 PM »

I've heard surprising little about the game today.  I am going to pick it up within a few days, but what I did hear is that it runs a lot smoother (which I am sure is expected).  

ON a side note, Does anyone know what they gave away with the pre-orders?  I think it was different maps or something?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

Well... its cetarin RCT ..in 3D!  There doesn't seem to be anything new. Doesn't take advantage 3d to do anything. At least nothing I've seen so far. The interface is harder to use. It seems finished. Which is cool. Haven't seen any slowdowns but my rig is fairly high end.

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 08:35:21 PM »

How about the "Ride your Rides" feature? Is it worth the transition to 3-D?

Thanks again Rob M.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »

I'm not a big fan of rsimulated rides to begin with. My son likes them alot. So sure, for him it was worth it. Ofcourse he is 4 and thats the only part of the game he likes. Now, I spoke too soon, there are a few new things. You can custom design peeps. I made the Peeperson family with Peter Peeperson, Polly Peeperson and their kids Phil and Patty. Just a way to personaize your guest. From the manual I can see you can customize the fireworks show and play mp3s off your hard drive.

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 09:00:23 PM »

Excellent... keep 'em coming Rob.

re: MP3's; I look forward to playing the Rome: Total War soundtrack music in my theme park biggrin

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 09:52:08 PM »

I am dying to see how the fireworks are coordinated...any little insights would be awesome.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 01:52:29 AM »

Haven't looked at it in game yet, but according to the strat guide, the interface is much like a music sequencer.  You drop the fireworks onto tracks within a timeline and such.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 02:09:06 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I'm not a big fan of rsimulated rides to begin with. My son likes them alot. So sure, for him it was worth it. Ofcourse he is 4 and thats the only part of the game he likes. Now, I spoke too soon, there are a few new things. You can custom design peeps. I made the Peeperson family with Peter Peeperson, Polly Peeperson and their kids Phil and Patty. Just a way to personaize your guest. From the manual I can see you can customize the fireworks show and play mp3s off your hard drive.

Any expanded selection at all on types of rides or themepieces you can build?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 02:35:11 AM »

Alrighty then. Enough of this. I'm off to CompUsa to get RCT3. The demo was sweet enough and I can't wait any longer for impressions.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 04:50:32 AM »

Installing my copy now, impressions in the morning.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 05:16:31 AM »

Lets start with the box. Great Job.
Lift test. Good.
CD-case. Cool as hell it has a pocket for the
wire binded manual.
Game play:
seems ok I started the game with my 2 year old on my lap so I rode all the pre made coaster over and over again while I tilted and rocked my chairin sequance to the rides. (I must admit using my chair lift and drop
did add some realisum to the game on the sloops :oops: )
I got caught up in the fire work thing for a while real cool.
the game looks good and ran smooth for the most part It did freez on me for reasons unknown but it was ok with me because I need to get back to San Andreas any way.
I will leave more tomarrow.

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 07:16:47 AM »

Here's some intro impression.

My System
P4 2.4C on an Abit IC7 mobo with 512 mb ram.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Dell 21" LCD

Box is great. CD case is custom with holder for CD and another slot for manual. I like it.

Install went fine. Game started, all publisher and developer intro movies displayed upside down and reversed. I think this is due to the 640 x 480 resolution the game started in. Once I switched to 16000x1200 everything was fine.

So, I was running the game is 1600x1200 max visual settings to very high.

Ran through the tutorials. They are pretty good. Not to much detail, but enough to get started.

My Impressions so far:

The controls are a little loose but still functional. All in all, it takes a little getting used to, but it works fine.

The terrain is outstanding. You can pretty much shape it into anything you want and paint it with any ground texture. The one dissapointment I have is no tunneling through the ground like in the first two versions of RCT.

There are lots of new features that you can read about anywhere. You can add little events to the park and link them to rollercoasters so when cars pass over a certain section of track, the event triggers. In the tutorial, you set up an oil well that explodes and falls over. It's pretty cool I think.

The Fireworks stuff is excellent. It works pretty much like those music makers where you lay down a track on a certain channel. But in this case, you lay down a firework on the track. As the program runs, those fireworks that are in the track and set to be fired at the current time go off, simple as that. One interesting aspect is once you lay the firework down on the track, you link it to a firework base that you placed in the world. Each base works a little differently, allowing you to do different things depending on the base. There are spinners, mortals, mortal walls that fire off and angles.

Later, I'll write about the campaign mode.
Samurai93
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 03:03:33 PM »

Just wanted to chime in and say that I booted it up last night too. The game runs fine on my 2.4g Mobil Intel laptop. @ 1024x768. MY laptop does have a Geforce FX Go though. There are some weird things about placing paths above ground level.  The 1 speed level seems too slow for normal time. The next level makes the people move more naturally, but then the ridecam is a little too fast. I miss the grass growing, or atlleast I have not seen it growing or the janitors mowing it. So far so good IMO.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 05:43:07 PM »

That can't be all we're gettin here, is it?  Well this could go two ways:

1.  Too addictive and people aren't checking in on the boards
2.  No one has it yet...

How about some sandbox pix Rob?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2004, 06:01:05 PM »

Yesterday was my birthday and I only got about 90 minutes of play in before the festivities began. I'll hit the game hard tonight.

scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »

Impressions cont.

The campaign mode is similar to that of the earlier versions. Start with a few parks, and as you complete objectives, you unlock more parts. This time though, the each park has multiple objectives. There are 3 levels, Apprentice, Entrepemanuar, and Tycoon. Each level raises the standards of the last, i.e. get even more people in the park, etc. etc. I have not seen any objectives that are time based, as in get so many people in the first year, etc. But, there is a new type of objective called teh VIPeep. In this case, someone big and important will come to your park with certain expectations and wants. You set up a path for him to walk through to ensure he meets all of his objectives.

On another note, I did discover what seemed to be a negative. I have not checked for the validity because I am at work right now, but the manual says the game makes extensive use of the my documents setup. Pictures get saved in My Pictures/RCT3, Music is in My Music/RCT3, etc. etc. I really freaking hate the whole my docs crap and I wish games would not use that bullshit to store their software. As the folder says, it's for MY documents, not your god damn game files.

As for the sandbox mode, it's just that, a park with unlimited funds and no objectives. Shape the land and build the park as you see fit with no hassles.

More to come...
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004, 07:09:15 PM »

they do the My Documets stuff for 2 reasons:

1.  so the game can do a clean uninstall
2. for windows xp users, so each profile can have their own saved games

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Samurai93
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004, 07:40:53 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
That can't be all we're gettin here, is it?  Well this could go two ways:

1.  Too addictive and people aren't checking in on the boards
2.  No one has it yet...

How about some sandbox pix Rob?

Well for me, I played it just for a couple of hours last night. I had to stop because of the lunar eclipse. It took a while to get teh telescope out and setup and then watch the whole thing.  smile  I will know more tonight.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2004, 07:41:55 PM »

I actually perfer games using my documents folder. That directory I back up. smile

Just another Swede
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 07:43:53 PM »

Quote from: "jessie"
they do the My Documets stuff for 2 reasons:

1.  so the game can do a clean uninstall
2. for windows xp users, so each profile can have their own saved games

I understand why they do it, but I don't like it either. I never planned for my documents to take hundreds of MB of space when I set up my windows partition.

Besides that, it sounds like a game I would like.  smile

No wife here, no wife there. Grrrreat, it's gaaaaming time!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2004, 08:40:02 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Yesterday was my birthday and I only got about 90 minutes of play in before the festivities began. I'll hit the game hard tonight.

Happy Birthday, Rob.

Anyone know how many add-ons are planned for this latest edition?
I might just wait for a 'bundle' pack.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2004, 05:31:37 AM »

I've spent a few hours with it and I'll give you my quick impressions.

In a nutshell, it seems like more of everything. More rides, more details and more options. Besides all that, it seems to play very similar to the first one (I've only played one and I don't remember which it was).

The graphics are great. The 3D is nice, the people models are superb as are the rides, but I'm not sure that it adds much to the gameplay. It's still very much a tile laying game. It's great for the camera though. You can move the camera anywhere and the ride cam is pretty cool. I didn't think much of the coaster cam until I tried it and it's pretty neat. It works on any ride, even the merry-go-round.

The detail is what gets me excited though. For instance, the burger stand. You can sell a basic burger and set it's price. You also have a choice of condiments you can put on the burger, like cheese, pickles, and ketchup. You can build different burgers (with cheese, with pickles, with cheese and pickles, etc) and charge different amounts for each entry. You can also adjust how much of each condiment get put on each burger. The peeps like lots of cheese on their cheese burgers! That's the same for all the "stall" items. So far I've seen ice cream, milk shakes, coffee, soda, fruit juice, hot chocolate, and water. All of those can be customized with extras. The game is full of details in everything else too. You can even customize your workers uniforms.

The campaign mode seems familiar. I'm only on the first map though. I've had to restart once after getting familiar with the interface and all and I'm afraid I'll have to dump my current game as I'm down to about $250 and am losing money. I'm not sure if I can tweak my park enough to turn a profit. I'll have to be more careful of that next time. Maybe only one slice of cheese on the cheese burgers. smile

Something I read in the manual that sounds kinda neat, but I've yet to try it, is pictures. Apparently you can allow the peeps to take pictures on their own and the pictures are saved to your hard drive. That sounds kinda neat.

As for a negative... If I ever find that little punk that broke all my benches... I'll bury him in a tomb beneath the cupid fountain.   :twisted:

Anyways, there are my first impressions. I like it so far. Oh, I'm running it on a P4 1.8, 512 ram, Geforce 4400, and it's nice and smooth at the default settings, what ever those are.

-Cota
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 05:41:36 AM »

Quote from: "Just another Swede"

I understand why they do it, but I don't like it either. I never planned for my documents to take hundreds of MB of space when I set up my windows partition.

You can easily change the location of your My Documents folder to any drive you want. I also have a small c: partition for windows, and put my My Documents folder on another drive.

Just get TweakUI, click the + by My Computer, then click on Special Folders, drop down to My Documents, and click on Change Location.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2004, 05:47:31 AM »

Quote from: "Cota"

For instance, the burger stand. You can sell a basic burger and set it's price. You also have a choice of condiments you can put on the burger, like cheese, pickles, and ketchup.

I cannot believe they actually spent time on developing that.

"Lessee here Bob, the park is losing thousands in revenues. what can we do to get finances flowing again?"

"Well Dave, I think the answer is clear"

"Inverted coasters??"

"F**k inverted coasters, Dave. What we need is more pickles!"

smile  seriously. pickles?
Just another Swede
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2004, 05:55:42 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

You can easily change the location of your My Documents folder to any drive you want. I also have a small c: partition for windows, and put my My Documents folder on another drive.

Just get TweakUI, click the + by My Computer, then click on Special Folders, drop down to My Documents, and click on Change Location.

Yeah I know, but my wife would kill me  slywink

"I don't get it. Sometimes I can find my documents, but sometimes they are just gone! Do something you lazy bastard!"

No wife here, no wife there. Grrrreat, it's gaaaaming time!
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2004, 10:51:09 AM »

I played it a bit more last night. For the most part it is more of everything just in 3d. There are a lot of little things such as the food stands, and firworks you can tune like mad but I'm rather unsure if that really matters compared to the overall park. I miss being able to go underground

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 01:36:35 PM »

I heard of a tunneling cure.  You can build up land around the tracks or you can dig them down deep into the ground and then cover them with structures like paths and I think maybe buildings.  Not sure, give er a try... its doesn't sound perfect but I think it gets the job done.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2004, 02:12:15 PM »

She shouldn't notice a difference. The shortcut to the folder will still be there. The system will still auto-save documents there. There's no visible change to the untrained user.
RevenantSoul
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2004, 04:23:23 PM »

She shouldn't notice a difference. The shortcut to the folder will still be there. The system will still auto-save documents there. There's no visible change to the untrained user.

I agree with Jeff....its the "knows enough to be dangerous" user that will be all bent out of shape  Tongue
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 07:51:38 PM »

I've put a good 5-6 hours into the game so far and definately the one impression I can guarantee most would agree with is the game gets more fun and addictive the more you play it. Keeping in mind I skipped the second iteration so its been quite a few years, I was a little overwhelmed in the beginning with all the choices and options. As you play more you get a handle on things and learn more advanced techniqueds.

- Gorgeous graphics, as expected. If you have a powerful system your in for a treat, the shadows, lighting, and reflections will blow you away (the transformation as far as lighting the park makes between night and day is incredible).

- TONS of detail, I dont know if this option was available before but you can actually construct buildings. One of the senarios has this huge palace type structure that is absolutely gorgeous, I look forward to making my own buildings.

Dislikes:

- Constructing paths and coasters, and pretty much anything that requires the "editing" tools is a huge bitch, at least in the beginning. A lot of times I cant get the paths to go where I want, and the coasters can be a nightmare. For now I'll chalk it up to my newbie status with the game... however its very far from perfect. I end up using the Auto Complete function almost every time for my coasters.

- The game has a few minor bugs, mostly cosmetic such as peeps looking like they are part of the benches rather than sitting on them. One MAJOR bug - this fucking game likes to crash to desktop out of nowhere. I've already lost major progress twice becaue of this, so now I save a lot more often.

More impressions later.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2004, 01:24:20 AM »

Well, I like the game, but am pissed as hell at all the bugs.  It borders on ridiculous.

Amoung the showstoppers:

1. People will complain about not having "xxx rides availabel" as they walk right past them.

2. People will only get in line 50% of the time, and many rides will not get any people unless it's "free".

3. To see a consensus on what peopel think of you park, you'd have to click on all 500-2,000 people individually (STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4. There's a lot of keyboard functions listed in the manual, startegy guide, and official FAQ's that don't work.

5. Super slow fps in medium-large parks with more than 1,000 people.

6. Lots and lots of crashing and instability issues being reported (although mine has not crashed).

7. FPS view is missing even thought this was a much touted feature of "walking around your park".

8. The game's financial statement doesn't even add/subtract correctly.

9. People often disappear midway through a ride.

10. People will complain about being thirsty and will walk right past a "free" drink stand.

11. The information booth, burger stands, drink stands, and first aid stand "break-down". What the f**k! How does an information booth break down? You can't even send a repair guy there.

12. Assignments for workers don't work.

Well these are just the ones that annoy me personally, but go to the Atari forums to see the insanity. http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=421841

I don't mind some bugs, but this is ridiculous. You can't even finish the first scenario unless you "cheat" your way through it. YEP! The supposed easiest scenario is crippled because of bugs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: