http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:16:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roleplaying game (neverwinter nights 2, morrowind, witcher, etc?)  (Read 1038 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »

So, I have been playing the witcher.  Great game, I jsut started chapter 2.

Anyways, I am looking for another RPG...  I see oblivion (I could get it on the Ps3, and neverwinter nights 2)

Any good swords+sorcery type roleplaying games that I may have missed in last 5 years or so aside from these?  Does neverwinter nights 2 fall short?
(I actually did play oblivion at launch)

Personally I would like to download and play icewind dale/bg2 or something but I cant seem to find them at gamersgate.

I think I am going to go with oblivion, but if nayone knows of something I am missing that I should look at first let me know.

Thanks
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »

Depends what kind of RPG you're looking for.  Party-based? NWN2 + MotB or Dragon Age.  Third-person story-oriented?  Try Risen, or Gothic 1 and 2+NotR if you never played those.  Third-person sandbox?  Oblivion or Fallout 3.  Action RPG? Titan's Quest, Torchlight, or farther back to the classic Diablo 1/2.  Cinematic (pseudo)-RPG?  Mass Effect 1 and 2.  I'm sure there's some good indie RPG's too, but I'm not as familiar with those.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »

NWN2 is really good now that it's been patched but the caveat is that the beginning is very slow.  You need to almost finish Act 1 before it starts to excel. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »

If you're actually considering going back as far as Icewind Dale 2 or Baldur's Gate 2, then I 'd recommend the 1st Neverwinter Nights. I actually felt it was better than the 2nd - especially story-wise. You can get the Diamond version now for cheap, which also includes the 2 expansions and some fan-made ones.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »

Well, let me explain.   My son loved the witcher.   I even let him play, just do not talk to the dwarf. slywink  A virtual boob, or a head being lopped off we can deal with.   I am pretty ermmm..  "liberal" in letting him play games. 

Well, he loves the witcher.  He loved dragon age (I steered him clear of some of the worst parts)

Anyways, we made it to act 2 on the witcher. 

Well, every npc you meet talks so profanity that it would make a sailor blush.   I cannot let him play it further.   So, I need to find him a new game.

I Think he would like oblivion, but the problem is the sand box thing.  He would be better off linear I think, it can get confusing when you can go anywhere in the world, and not being led by the nose to the next monster.  I even sort of prefer linear games.

I looked high and low for icewind dale 2 or bauldurs gate 2 or tomb of horrors.  (Go for the eyes boo!)  But, I do not see them available for download anywhere.  Something about the whole D and D license or some crap. afraid to order a used one from amazon, i am on windows 7 64 bit and afraid it wont run good if its abandoned.

That brings me to neverwinter nights 2.  Some of the reviews call it buggy.  But I see someone above said it is now fixed up and runs good.  Is it similer to baldurs gate/icewind dale/tomb of horrors?  If so I think it may be the one I go for.  He may love oblivion, but not sure the open world would be to his liking.  (he never liked games like world of warcraft)   

We have been playing tochlight too, and me, daughter and son like it allot.

So, think neverwinter nights 2 is it?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 26, 2010, 03:52:08 PM

If you're actually considering going back as far as Icewind Dale 2 or Baldur's Gate 2, then I 'd recommend the 1st Neverwinter Nights. I actually felt it was better than the 2nd - especially story-wise. You can get the Diamond version now for cheap, which also includes the 2 expansions and some fan-made ones.

I would jump on baldurs gate/icewind dale in a heartbeat if I could obtain them legally and they work on windows 7 64 bit...

I never played neverwinter nights 1 or 2...   
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on July 26, 2010, 03:32:35 PM

Depends what kind of RPG you're looking for.  Party-based? NWN2 + MotB or Dragon Age.  Third-person story-oriented?  Try Risen, or Gothic 1 and 2+NotR if you never played those.  Third-person sandbox?  Oblivion or Fallout 3.  Action RPG? Titan's Quest, Torchlight, or farther back to the classic Diablo 1/2.  Cinematic (pseudo)-RPG?  Mass Effect 1 and 2.  I'm sure there's some good indie RPG's too, but I'm not as familiar with those.

Mass effect 2, (not familier with it, ps3 owner, I will check it out. 
Maybe oblivion..  (We tore up fallout 3 already)  Tore up titans quest and working on torchlight now. 
Maybe neverwinter nights 2 be the wise choice, but I never played it.  If it similer to icewind dale/bg then I guess I am in.  Only reason I am wary is reviews (perhaps pre patch?) saying its ugly/buggy etc..
Wish they had a "turn off profanity" switch in the witcher heh..  It is a hell of a game.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »

NWN2 is a solid choice.  The initial technical issues were smoothed out by official patches.  Crafting and keep management are interesting elements.  It doesn't have the soul of a BG2 or DA, but it's certainly worth playing if you like the genre.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »

Witcher is a great game, but definitely for a mature audience, whatever that may be for you.  The Mass Effect games would probably be good choices.  They're quite linear and pretty sanitized if I remember right.  NWN 2 and its expansion would also be good.  I never had any problems when I played it close to release.  The first chapter is pretty boring though.  I disagree with kronovan though.  I thought the entirety of NWN1 was painfully boring.  The first expansion was okay and the second was finally interesting.

The Gothic games and Risen are similar to Witcher in play-style, but less linear.  Not as sandboxy as Oblivion or Fallout 3 though.  They're also not as sanitized as Bioware's games, but aren't on the level of Witcher either.  Gothic 1 and 2 are two of my favorite RPGs.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 26, 2010, 04:58:49 PM

NWN2 is a solid choice.  The initial technical issues were smoothed out by official patches.  Crafting and keep management are interesting elements.  It doesn't have the soul of a BG2 or DA, but it's certainly worth playing if you like the genre.

I think I am going to go for it.  the screenshots looked good to me and i love these bioware D and D games, wish they made more of them.

Problem is I generally play the games a step ahead of my son so I can steer him clear of things I do not want him to see.

So I have to keep enough distance infront of him and play the witcher too  slywink   oh, and torchlight...  (But I turn them loose on that)

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on July 26, 2010, 05:15:06 PM

Witcher is a great game, but definitely for a mature audience, whatever that may be for you.  The Mass Effect games would probably be good choices.  They're quite linear and pretty sanitized if I remember right.  NWN 2 and its expansion would also be good.  I never had any problems when I played it close to release.  The first chapter is pretty boring though.  I disagree with kronovan though.  I thought the entirety of NWN1 was painfully boring.  The first expansion was okay and the second was finally interesting.

The Gothic games and Risen are similar to Witcher in play-style, but less linear.  Not as sandboxy as Oblivion or Fallout 3 though.  They're also not as sanitized as Bioware's games, but aren't on the level of Witcher either.  Gothic 1 and 2 are two of my favorite RPGs.

Yea, witcher was fine for us in chapter one, i just didnt let him talk to the dwarf.. 

but I made chapter 2 last night..  whores, drug dealers and every cuss word u can think of..   So, it just went to the status of grand theft auto..  I can play it, he cannot, hah..

I THINK I tried a demo for gothic 1..  not sure..  I may see what I can find on the net tonight. 

For some reason he loved the witcher more then most.  I think because of the ghost/haunted house/ spooky settings...   Hell I am loving it too.   But cannot really put my finger on what makes it stand out from the rest.   
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

Because of the D&D license, I doubt there is anything very objectionable by your standards in NWN2.

The only caution on NWN2 is that the interface is cumbersome so that may be difficult for a child to deal with. 
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 26, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Because of the D&D license, I doubt there is anything very objectionable by your standards in NWN2.

The only caution on NWN2 is that the interface is cumbersome so that may be difficult for a child to deal with. 

Gotcha..   I am hoping dragon age has him somewhat prepared for the group tactics thing.      It looks like I can get the gold edition for about 15 bucks at gamersgate, so not sweating it if he doesnt like it.   I will just play it this winter when I get low on games to play if thats the case.
And he can look at oblivion or maybe mass effect2..   Which I am tempted to snag up as well.    I am sort of backlogged at the moment.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »

I would recommend the Mass Effect games, starting with the first one. They're easy to understand, family-friendly and feature a great storyline.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »

Another + for NWN2, the Mass Effect series and Dragon Age Origins.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »

I could get nwn2 and mass effect 1 for a total of $35 bucks...

Fook it, thats what I am going to do.  

That should keep him busy, and I can start them when I finish torchlight and the witcher..

Now, time to fight over who gets to play on the computer when we get back home from swimming...  slywink

Thanks Fellas.  I got a plan..

It starts with dude, you cannot play the witcher anymore, but...   slywink

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »

I tried to get into NWN2 again but the camera just plain sucks, worst game camera ever in my book. I tried NWN for reference and it has a much more fluent UI, too old now though.

Go for Dragon Age, I think they really nailed the game mechanics even though the story is a bit so so.

Well too late but at least you got Mass Effect, one of my favourites (still going through ME2).

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on July 26, 2010, 08:16:10 PM

I tried to get into NWN2 again but the camera just plain sucks, worst game camera ever in my book. I tried NWN for reference and it has a much more fluent UI, too old now though.

Go for Dragon Age, I think they really nailed the game mechanics even though the story is a bit so so.

Well too late but at least you got Mass Effect, one of my favourites (still going through ME2).

Dragon age is on the 2nd play through  icon_wink
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »

How about Drakensang? Its based on a german rpg ruleset and is 3rd person party based.

EDIT: Dark Messiah Might and Magic if you don't mind a more actiony fps w/ rpg elements. Very linear but fun game.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:40:13 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »

I shouldhave browsed thru here earlier I still have a NWN2 Limited Edition unopened in my game stash area.  Has the Good/Evil rings inside and everything.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:08 AM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on July 26, 2010, 11:33:02 PM

How about Drakensang? Its based on a german rpg ruleset and is 3rd person party based.

I really enjoyed what i played of that as well.  It's a bit confusing at times bu nothing you couldn't explain.  However, it wouldn;t hurt to read a game f.a.q or two because some things are not explained all that well.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »

Quote from: morlac on July 27, 2010, 12:29:08 AM

I really enjoyed what i played of that as well.  It's a bit confusing at times bu nothing you couldn't explain.  However, it wouldn;t hurt to read a game f.a.q or two because some things are not explained all that well.

I really need to get back to that game eventually.  too bad none of the latest Drakensang games seem to be making their way over to NA.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 08:45:41 AM

I really need to get back to that game eventually.  too bad none of the latest Drakensang games seem to be making their way over to NA.

I need to finish it as well.  Agree on the other games not coming here.  It's a neat setting and world for rpging with some great character classes.  I mean you can be pirate! 

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 11:36:40 PM »

Quote from: morlac on July 28, 2010, 12:31:16 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 08:45:41 AM

I need to finish it as well.  Agree on the other games not coming here.  It's a neat setting and world for rpging with some great character classes.  I mean you can be pirate! 

I think that's what I was playing, may have to start over since I'm not sure what I did with the save games.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: