http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:19:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rocksmith 2014 Preview  (Read 507 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/2013/10/01/building-callus-preview-rocksmith-2014/

MORE VIDEO!   Check out my wife and I as I go from horrifyingly bad to horrible in just 10 days!  Hehhehehhe

I'd be interested to hear what actual guitarists have to say about the game. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »

pretty cool preview (other than that horrid song at 6:00 biggrin).  been eying this for the PC, the whole idea of it helping someone learn guitar has me intrigued and for the past year or so I've been looking at beginner kits on Amazon anyways.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 01, 2013, 06:36:16 PM

pretty cool preview (other than that horrid song at 6:00 biggrin).  been eying this for the PC, the whole idea of it helping someone learn guitar has me intrigued and for the past year or so I've been looking at beginner kits on Amazon anyways.

I can tell you that the first game didn't do the trick, but damn if this one doesn't make me want to practice every day.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »

I enjoyed the first Rocksmith game....but I am on the fence about getting the new one. With the new console launch and RB3 still going strong with Custom songs, I just don't think I will have the time to play it much now. I'll probably pick it up next year at some point.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Saw the preview linked on one Rocksmith twitter feed or another and didn't realize until the end that it was a GamingTrend preview.  Very professional and very impressive.    thumbsup

I'm a big fan of the first Rocksmith but the $60 price tag had me hesitating to get the sequel.  The previews were enough to push me over the edge and pre-order.

I figure it will take me a year to get "The Spirit of Radio" down.   saywhat
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on October 02, 2013, 07:08:03 PM

Saw the preview linked on one Rocksmith twitter feed or another and didn't realize until the end that it was a GamingTrend preview.  Very professional and very impressive.    thumbsup

I'm a big fan of the first Rocksmith but the $60 price tag had me hesitating to get the sequel.  The previews were enough to push me over the edge and pre-order.

I figure it will take me a year to get "The Spirit of Radio" down.   saywhat

Thanks!   Appreciate that.  smile   As for Spirit of Radio, man....it sounds easy enough when you play it on Expert in Rock Band 3, but having to actually hit those notes on the strings?  Heh, gooooood luck!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »

I spent about five hours with it last night and my impressions are mixed.  For a beginner, it is awesome.  It has a good amount of depth for sure covering lessons that show technique and not just "learn to play this song".  I was concerned that this area would be skipped entirely and it wasn't.

That being said, there is a huge learning curve for me.  For example, to play White Zombie's Thunderkiss '65, I would have been MUCH better off with just tab and an MP3.  I am so used to reading tab and negotiating by ear the aspects ignored with tab that to use Rocksmith I have to relearn for to read the music.  Chords are especially difficult for me as they look completely different from what I am used to.  In addition, the neck of the track scales to show what is needed (so if a riff is in a small fret area, the neck is larger but if it jumps then the neck gets longer) which can get disorienting when trying to "sight read".  That being said, after a few run throughs of every song I tried, I was much more proficient than I thought I would be so it works even for someone who is used to learning in a different way.  After a few weeks I think I could relearn and this could be a faster way to get down a song.

It should be stated that you will have to put time into practicing.  The difficulty ramp up the game tries to do is much too wonky.  Just because you have one part nailed doesn't mean you want the next part sight unseen thrown at you full on.  So there is a lot of, whoah! slow down! moments.  The easiest way is to learn it just like we all do - break down each section and practice them on their own then jump into the song performance. 

I only did rhythm to start out.  In the end, I think it's great as a learning tool and would work but it will come down to how much someone wants to put into it.  Just like learning anything really.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »

So...I know nothing about this game, but that preview and the review have me pretty interested.  I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar, but end up burning out after a couple lessons.  Putting it in a game format might just keep my attention.

A couple questions:

-  I'm assuming you need a specific guitar to play this, correct?   I also assume you can purchase a bundle which includes said guitar?
-  Are there DLC tracks, a la Rock Band?  Or are you stuck with the songs that come packaged with it?
-  Does this translate at all to playing outside of the game?  Do you find yourself able to pick up the guitar and strum a recognizable tune, or do you need the rolling track visual?

TIA.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 23, 2013, 10:22:32 PM

So...I know nothing about this game, but that preview and the review have me pretty interested.  I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar, but end up burning out after a couple lessons.  Putting it in a game format might just keep my attention.

A couple questions:

-  I'm assuming you need a specific guitar to play this, correct?   I also assume you can purchase a bundle which includes said guitar?
-  Are there DLC tracks, a la Rock Band?  Or are you stuck with the songs that come packaged with it?
-  Does this translate at all to playing outside of the game?  Do you find yourself able to pick up the guitar and strum a recognizable tune, or do you need the rolling track visual?

TIA.  smile

So I have a hard time calling it a "game" so to speak.  It's a focused learning tool really that just took the way rock band showed music and reimagined it as another way to read music.  There isn't any failing in the song mode.  There is a minigame area that has games that work by having you practicing certain things (chords, running scales, etc.)

You do not need a specific guitar.  Any guitar with a working pickup and output jack will work.  You need the cable (can be packaged with the program) that will connect your guitar to a USB jack.

There are a few DLC tracks at the moment.  It looks like with the first version they released quite a bit of DLC.

I am sure that you will memorize the songs and be able to play outside the game.  That's how learning guitar works to be honest.  At first you need the transcription, but over time you don't.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 23, 2013, 10:29:38 PM

So I have a hard time calling it a "game" so to speak.  It's a focused learning tool really that just took the way rock band showed music and reimagined it as another way to read music.  There isn't any failing in the song mode.  There is a minigame area that has games that work by having you practicing certain things (chords, running scales, etc.)

I felt like the first Rocksmith tried too hard to be a game.  For 2014 they made the correct choice to present it as a learning tool and it's a better product for it.

I am sure that you will memorize the songs and be able to play outside the game.  That's how learning guitar works to be honest.  At first you need the transcription, but over time you don't.

Prior to getting the original Rocksmith last year I had never held a guitar before.  Now I annoy my daughter all the time by playing the riffs from "Boys Don't Cry" or "Where is My Mind" over and over.  

If you're at all interested in learning guitar I recommend picking it up.   thumbsup
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 23, 2013, 10:29:38 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 23, 2013, 10:22:32 PM

So...I know nothing about this game, but that preview and the review have me pretty interested.  I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar, but end up burning out after a couple lessons.  Putting it in a game format might just keep my attention.

A couple questions:

-  I'm assuming you need a specific guitar to play this, correct?   I also assume you can purchase a bundle which includes said guitar?
-  Are there DLC tracks, a la Rock Band?  Or are you stuck with the songs that come packaged with it?
-  Does this translate at all to playing outside of the game?  Do you find yourself able to pick up the guitar and strum a recognizable tune, or do you need the rolling track visual?

TIA.  smile

So I have a hard time calling it a "game" so to speak.  It's a focused learning tool really that just took the way rock band showed music and reimagined it as another way to read music.  There isn't any failing in the song mode.  There is a minigame area that has games that work by having you practicing certain things (chords, running scales, etc.)

You do not need a specific guitar.  Any guitar with a working pickup and output jack will work.  You need the cable (can be packaged with the program) that will connect your guitar to a USB jack.

There are a few DLC tracks at the moment.  It looks like with the first version they released quite a bit of DLC.

I am sure that you will memorize the songs and be able to play outside the game.  That's how learning guitar works to be honest.  At first you need the transcription, but over time you don't.

Thanks Travis & Exodor.  Your responses bring up a couple additional questions:

1.  I know squat about guitars.  Would a Rocksmith bundle (like this or this) be as good a place as any to start, or should I be looking for an equivalent and/or better guitar elsewhere?
2.  It sounds like songs from previous games aren't backwards compatible with the 2014 version, correct?

Feeling the pull to learn a new instrument (currently somewhat proficient on piano and drums), and this has me very intrigued.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »

The important thing with a guitar is to get one that's comfortable for you neck wise and body wise.  At that price, those guitars have to be awful but to learn on I am sure they would be okay.  For $500 you can get a good guitar, but the problem is that comfort thing.  It took me six years to know what I really needed a guitar to feel like to have it feel like home.  I usually advise people to go cheap the first time out.  This game does amp modeling so it will be fun to use that.

The songs are backwards compatible they say, but I really wanted to DL the Pearl Jam tunes and can't without the original Rocksmith it tells me.  They should figure that out.  Easy money for them after all.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »

Quote from: Travis on October 24, 2013, 02:20:33 AM

For $500 you can get a good guitar

eek  Yeah, that ain't happening.  I'll take the crappy one for $200 and make sure I actually like it, then perhaps upgrade down the road.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 03:17:20 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 24, 2013, 02:39:07 AM

eek  Yeah, that ain't happening.  I'll take the crappy one for $200 and make sure I actually like it, then perhaps upgrade down the road.

That's the best route. 
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »

Really enjoying the game now that I got all my PC sound woes fixed.  Apparently the game doesn't support USB soundcards, the game would run fine but no sound during the game so I had to switch to my laptop.  I did have to adjust the video latency a bit but now I have no latency or lag so it's just like playing through an amp.

I messed a bit with the original and this is so much better, the menus are quick and responsive and it's easy to get into a song and start learning it.  I started playing the guitar when I was around 16, so that was about 24 years ago(that was hard to write), and when Rockband came around I switched to the drums and haven't practiced much on the guitar and this game is getting me back in form.  I'm used to reading tab and this is much different so the biggest learning curve for me is being able to spot read which should just take time.  I wish they had this when I was learning.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 05:52:15 AM »

Why is it called Rocksmith 2014? We are in 2013 unless of course you Americans tried to change that as well just to be different?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 06:01:36 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 24, 2013, 05:52:15 AM

Why is it called Rocksmith 2014? We are in 2013 unless of course you Americans tried to change that as well just to be different?

it's just like sports games; they always put the next year in the title.  NBA2K14 is due out soon, Madden '13 came out last year, Madden 25 is technically Madden '14, next years Madden will be called Madden '15.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »

okay...but WHY?!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 24, 2013, 06:46:16 AM

okay...but WHY?!

why not?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 24, 2013, 07:40:31 AM

okay...but WHY?!

why not?

Because its NOT 2014?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 24, 2013, 07:50:36 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 24, 2013, 07:40:31 AM

okay...but WHY?!

why not?

Because its NOT 2014?

are you sure?

(btw, 2014 models for cars have started coming out as well biggrin)

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »

This bit from the GamesRadar review is a bit concerning, as I don't have a fancy audio setup.  My audio just runs through the TV speakers:

That audio setup requirement bears discussion here as well, as it may prove to be an issue for some players. Rocksmith 2014 recommends that you split the audio and video signals, and connect the console directly to external speakers or headphones to get the least amount of audio latency possible. That means that if you’re using your television’s speakers for audio, and particularly if you’re using HDMI, the delay between what you’re playing on your guitar and the report from the speakers renders the game practically unplayable. So it’s more of a requirement than a recommendation. It’s unfortunate that this unadvertised aspect of the game is an issue when the game’s barrier to entry is already prohibitively high for many players. Laying down a bunch of money for a guitar and a copy of the game only to find out that you’re missing the proper cables or home theater equipment would be disheartening to be sure, so be aware of everything you need before making the investment.

I was planning on buying Rocksmith 2014 today, but this is giving me pause.  Did any of you encounter these issues?

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

That review is the reason I did purchase it for PC.  I didn't see that in other reviews, but I figured I would be on the safe side there.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 24, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

That review is the reason I did purchase it for PC.  I didn't see that in other reviews, but I figured I would be on the safe side there.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the PC version now to avoid the latency issues.  Also looking at just buying the game and picking up a used guitar on the cheap at Guitar Center rather than going with the bundle.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 24, 2013, 04:45:48 PM

Also looking at just buying the game and picking up a used guitar on the cheap at Guitar Center rather than going with the bundle.
That should work.  You might be surprised though how much a used guitar can be compared to the starter guitars they are crapping out for big brick and mortar and bundles like these.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »

Gratch, I saw this review linked on QT3 and thought you might be interested - one of the two reviewers is a total guitar newbie.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on October 24, 2013, 06:00:17 PM

Gratch, I saw this review linked on QT3 and thought you might be interested - one of the two reviewers is a total guitar newbie.

That was a good read, thanks. 

I probably lean more towards the second reviewer, as I've played piano for years and am also a decent drummer.  I learned a few chords on my dad's acoustic guitar a couple years back, and was even able to do decent renditions of a few songs through nothing more than trial and error.  So I have a little bit of musical aptitude, but it's never been applied to learning electric guitar.

Question on the PC version:  I assume the cable just hooks into a regular USB port, correct?  Do I need any other connections/cables?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 24, 2013, 06:16:35 PM

Question on the PC version:  I assume the cable just hooks into a regular USB port, correct?  Do I need any other connections/cables?

the setup videos I've seen say you just plug it in.

Because I can,
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 24, 2013, 06:16:35 PM

No other cables needed - just goes straight into a USB slot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: