http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:18:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rocksmith!  (Read 8506 times)
Boudreaux
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 06, 2011, 03:14:06 AM

I wish it showed how your fingers should be placed for the song even when just playing a single note (i.e. so I'm not sure hen-pecking each note). Even having only played a couple of hours, I definitely think I'm improving. And my finger tips are feeling it.  icon_biggrin

One thing I noticed is that in some cases, the game actually DOES recommend chord fingerings for a series of single notes.  An example would be the Tom Petty song "Good Enough".  In the intro of the song, you play a series of single notes that are all part of an E minor chord.  Even though you're playing mostly open string notes, the game still shows an Em fingering on the screen.  It's tough to see if you're not looking for it, because you tend to focus on the single notes rather than the "here's what's coming up" part of the fretboard.  The song then progresses to a series of notes that are all part of an A minor chord, then C major, then B7.  In all cases, it shows a chord fingering on the screen even though you're only playing single notes.  That helped me quite a bit, as it's much easier to just switch chords rather than try to finger each individual note as it comes up.

XBox Live:  JNacht
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2011, 12:44:20 AM »

New DLC tracks this week...an trio of metal classics from Megadeth!

Hangar 18
Symphony of Destruction
Public Enemy No. 1

I'm nowhere near good enough to play these at even a moderate level yet, but it's great that they're continuing to release challenging DLC from big name artists icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »

Amazon has this for $59.99 now, finally bit and picked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-Xbox-360/dp/B004S5PBM0?tag=gotapex

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »

I haven't played the game for almost a month now but it was the catalyst that got me to improve on guitar.  I spend at least 15 mins every day practising using free lessons on justinguitar.com and also youtube.  I plan to get back to the game but it really doesn't teach fingering and shifting techniques well.  For a complete beginner, you definitely need other sources to get better at guitar.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2012, 03:20:07 AM »

New DLC today!

Space Oddity - David Bowie
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Barracuda - Heart

They haven't released a large amount of DLC yet, but the songs available so far have all been pretty awesome selections

I just have to work on spending more time with the game and building my skills to actually play them...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:47 AM »

I haven't played the game in a while now, but all this new DLC looks like a reason to jump back in!
I hope they add bass support for the sequel. I've been playing guitar basically for my entire life, but recently started playing bass in a band. It would be nice to see it added to the game.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »

They just added the bass expansion for the game so I'm really interested now.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »

I own the game, I just don't own a guitar.  Anyone have a recommendation for a 'starter' guitar? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 08, 2012, 04:28:30 PM

I own the game, I just don't own a guitar.  Anyone have a recommendation for a 'starter' guitar? 

Do you want an amp so you can play/practice without the game?

Do you want to spend spend:
As little as possible, no more than $150
~$200-250?
~$400-500?

What are some of your favorite electric guitar artists or songs, with a sound you'd like to emulate?
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 08, 2012, 04:28:30 PM

Squier Affinity Series Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Special II

These are pretty good beginner guitars that are less than $200.  If you have a guitar center close you should be able to go and try them out and see which one feels good to you. One good thing to try is on each string just go up the entire fret board fret by fret and see how easy it is to press down as you get to the higher frets.  Starting out you want a guitar that has a decent action, meaning that the strings aren't that high off the fret board.  When you start playing your fingers will get sore and if the guitar has a low action it will make things a little easier especially when you start playing barre chords.

I wish I had this game when I started learning guitar over 23 years ago.  I remember wanting to learn some van halen songs and I ordered a cassette and it came with blank tabulature paper.  I had to listen to the tape and then they would speak out the string and fret location of each note which I would have to write out on the tab paper.  It took me a couple of days to get it all right, especially with cassettes so if I didn't hear a note I would have to rewind and then try to catch up.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: