http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock Band - Released! Available! Buy now!  (Read 33392 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 12, 2007, 12:43:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2007, 12:38:51 PM

Quote from: jersoc on November 12, 2007, 07:39:54 AM

So this tuesday, or maybe later this week, after their gaming site battle they're going to announce something big. My prediction is the entire library of guitar hero 1 and 2 for download. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

If there's something big to be announced, I'd guess it would be a subscription model for the DLC.

Yeah. It's going to be something that leaves us all unimpressed. Pre-announced big announcements usually are lame.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 12, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »

So I finally made my way to a Best Buy to try this out in person.  My local store (Watertown, MA) must have one of the most pathetic demo displays in the entire country.  They've got the game going on a tiny TV that's about the same size as my work monitor.  They didn't have the drums set up, nor the microphone.  They had it in the dusty forgotten corner of the store where they hide the PC games.  They had the volume down pretty low, and worst of all: it was back to back with a Singstar demo unit that had the volume turned way up, so that the Singstar menu music drowned out the Rock Band music.

On the positive side, since it's so well hidden and pathetically set up, the guitar was fully functional from the total lack of customer use.

Another plus: they did have Guitar Hero III set up right next to it with the exact same TV, giving a pretty fair setup to compare the guitar gameplay.

Though I played GHIII second, I have to say first of all that that Les Paul is a thing of beauty.  That strum bar is awesome, and the frets felt really good as well.  Definitely the pinnacle of evolution for the GH style guitar.

The Rock Band guitar, even though I had read up about how the different strum bar, was still weird to use at first.  The strum bar didn't take long to get used to, though, and I think I prefer the lack of a click sound on each strum.  The frets, on the other hand, were harder for me to adjust to.  They've got sort of a clicking point to them when you depress them, which felt odd.  Also, the smoother recessed feel was hard to adjust to when I was trying to do quick fret combinations on an expert difficulty song.  Lastly, the extra 5 solo frets are going to be really hard to get used to, as the spacing is so tight compared to what I've practiced for so long with Guitar Hero.  It'll come with time, I'm sure.  I can see how that tight spacing will make those really quick HO/PO runs possible.  One other thing: I was surprised at the size of the guitar compared to the Les Paul.  From the pictures online, I was the Strat to be a lot bigger than the Gibson, but it only seemed like a relatively minor size increase holding them side by side.

As for the gameplay, I really like the new look of the notes in Rock Band.  The colored note bars and their effects look very slick.  I read impresions that said the HO/PO notes were hard to see (they're shorter note bars) but on the one song I tried they seemed easy to spot.  Just comparing the two demo setups, Rock Band handily wins on song selection alone.  RB had what, a dozen songs to choose from?  And with time to try just one song, I had a hard time choosing between several that I really liked. (I went with Suffragette City.)  The GHIII kiosk only had about 6 songs, and not one of them was a song that I was particularly excited about.

One final thing I forgot to mention about the Rock Band guitar: The effects switch.  I gave this a try, but I couldn't hear any difference even though the on-screen display was showing a selection change.  Is this disabled in the demo unit, or is it just a very subtle change?

I really wish I could've given the drums a spin, but all in all I'm very happy with my first experience with RB.  The only thing that impressed me with the GHIII demo was the new guitar, which really is phenomenal.  If there was more in the GHIII game itself that impressed me, I would've bought a GHIII guitar+game unit right then and there to have the Les Paul as my Rock Band bass guitar.  Oh well.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: November 12, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »

Quote from: gamespot article linked above
Arriving in stores just before Thanksgiving, the instrument-driven rhythm game will be available on its own for $59.99, or as part of a special-edition bundle that includes a guitar, drums, and microphone for $169.99. The Xbox 360 version of the bundle will come with a wired guitar and a USB hub, while the PS3 edition includes a wireless guitar that will also work with the forthcoming PlayStation 2 version of Rock Band (set for release December 18). Individual instruments and a wireless Xbox 360 guitar will be made available sometime after the game's release, though controllers for the rival Guitar Hero franchise will also work with the game.

While going gold is usually the end of the development team's heavy lifting, Harmonix has promised weekly additions to the Rock Band setlist in the form of downloadable content. Among the confirmed offerings are The Who's Who's Next and 18 tracks from The Grateful Dead.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 12, 2007, 07:13:14 PM »

The effects triggered by the switch are only in effect when you use star power, or during a blue-background solo.  Any other time, you won't hear them.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 12, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »

Ahh, thanks.

In other news, I just read that Rock Band's practice mode will let you set a section to automatically loop and repeat, so you don't have to keep restarting it as you do in Guitar Hero.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 12, 2007, 07:46:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2007, 07:16:00 PM

Ahh, thanks.

In other news, I just read that Rock Band's practice mode will let you set a section to automatically loop and repeat, so you don't have to keep restarting it as you do in Guitar Hero.

Thank fucking god, that annoyed me to end. I'm sure glad neversoft put as much thought into gh3...OH WAIT control c, control v
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 13, 2007, 01:43:02 AM »

i hope it's not an indication of things to come, but the Rock Band guitar at my local Best Buy is busted already.  i picked up the guitar to play, started strumming down and missed every single note...strum bar doesn't work if you tap it down anymore.  i know those units can be exposed to a lot of abuse, but it's only been there for a week and something has quit working already.  i wouldn't exactly call that encouraging...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 13, 2007, 03:08:20 AM »

Quote from: disarm on November 13, 2007, 01:43:02 AM

i hope it's not an indication of things to come, but the Rock Band guitar at my local Best Buy is busted already.  i picked up the guitar to play, started strumming down and missed every single note...strum bar doesn't work if you tap it down anymore.  i know those units can be exposed to a lot of abuse, but it's only been there for a week and something has quit working already.  i wouldn't exactly call that encouraging...

Same thing happened at the best buy I went to today.  But BOTH the guitar and drums were broken frown  I guess that explains why there was no line up to play it.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the Wireless Les Paul but the Rock Band guitar felt really really cheap to me.  I'm hoping it was due the abuse it likely took at the Best Buy, but the buttons felt really "clicky" for lack of a better word. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 14, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

Found this blurb on the official forums from a HMX rep:

Thanks for your feedback on the Rock Band retail demo units. To make the deadline we had to use some pre-production gear which is not as durable as the final equipment.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 14, 2007, 09:24:31 PM »

Well I called EBGames about my pre-order just to make sure that I"m all set for the 20th and the guy goes on to tell me that I only preordered the game and not the bundle. I informed him that at the time of the preorder that the bundle had not yet been announced and no pricing structure was in place yet. Basically I was told "tough shit" and left it at that.

So all of you have fun november 20th. This sucks.  icon_frown I took the week off work.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: November 14, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 14, 2007, 09:24:31 PM

Well I called EBGames about my pre-order just to make sure that I"m all set for the 20th and the guy goes on to tell me that I only preordered the game and not the bundle. I informed him that at the time of the preorder that the bundle had not yet been announced and no pricing structure was in place yet. Basically I was told "tough shit" and left it at that.

So all of you have fun november 20th. This sucks.  icon_frown I took the week off work.

Best Buy Rock Band Midnight Store Openings
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 14, 2007, 09:52:41 PM »

Well, that's some bullshit right there.  Especially given what dickheads they are about preordering in the first place.  Can you escalate it up the chain of command?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »

We started handing out our Rock Band party invitation "flyers" today:

Only a few more weeks until the big "gig".   icon_biggrin

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: November 14, 2007, 11:01:15 PM »

Sounds like you need to take it up the chain of command...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 14, 2007, 11:28:03 PM »

I'm really torn on this, I really want to get it, because my time with it at Bestbuy has shown I like the guitar parts better than Guitar Hero, and the drums are going to be a lot of fun, but 170 bucks is a lot of money. Since I'll never have people over enough to care about the party aspect I really don't know if it will provide enough play to justify it's cost.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:13 PM »

Quote from: nymanium on November 14, 2007, 11:28:03 PM

I'm really torn on this, I really want to get it, because my time with it at Bestbuy has shown I like the guitar parts better than Guitar Hero, and the drums are going to be a lot of fun, but 170 bucks is a lot of money. Since I'll never have people over enough to care about the party aspect I really don't know if it will provide enough play to justify it's cost.

Think of it this way, you get to play though the solo stuff with drums and with guitar at the very least.  If that was a GH game it would be 200$ for two controllers and two games.  It isn't exactly that good since really you are doing the same songs twice, but the feel should be significantly different enough to be fun twice.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: November 15, 2007, 02:56:27 AM »

DLC info:  http://www.gamespot.com/news/6182927.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6182927

$5.49 for 3 song packs.    Individual songs for $1.99

First week:

Metallica Pack
"Ride the Lightning"--Metallica
"Blackened"--Metallica
"And Justice for All"--Metallica

The Police Pack
"Can't Stand Losing You"--The Police
"Synchronicity II"--The Police
"Roxanne"--The Police

Queens of the Stone Age Pack
"3's and 7's"--Queens of the Stone Age
"Little Sister"--Queens of the Stone Age
"Sick Sick Sick"--Queens of the Stone Age

Individual Tracks
"Fortunate Son" as made famous by Creedence Clearwater Revival *
"Juke Box Hero" as made famous by Foreigner *
"Bang a Gong (Get It On)" as made famous by T-Rex *
"My Sharona" as made famous by The Knack *
"Cherry Bomb" as made famous by The Runaways *
"Joker & The Thief"--Wolfmother

There is more info in the link for future content.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 15, 2007, 03:27:32 AM »

I'm really happy at the prices right now. It seems day one we got some solid songs too. I hope they can keep up the trend with new songs every week or so as well. There was some interview where Harmonix is even thinking about releasing tools for people to make their own songs, send them to HMX and they could then decide to make them publicly available.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2007, 03:50:44 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 14, 2007, 11:01:15 PM

Sounds like you need to take it up the chain of command...

Yeah I'm pretty pissed about this. I'm gonna gather information to support my argument and then put it to them to research that I had preorder WAY before Harmonix announced "Bundle only" and "2008 for individual instruments" and that I was given no option to order a bundle at the time because it wasn't available.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2007, 04:37:24 AM »

You'll be able to get it at Best Buy or Wal Mart or Target or Circuit City.  Believe.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2007, 04:54:09 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 15, 2007, 02:56:27 AM

Did I hear it right that Gamespot won the right to be the first on the block with this news by winning a Harmonix hosted Rock Band duel between the news sites?  If so, Harmonix really is the best company ever.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:32 AM »

While I'm still not crazy about the pricing, at least they're trying to make it a little better.  Besides, this:

Metallica Pack
"Ride the Lightning"--Metallica
"Blackened"--Metallica
"And Justice for All"--Metallica

and this

David Bowie Pack
"Moonage Daydream"--David Bowie
"Heroes" as made famous by David Bowie *
"Queen Bitch" as made famous by David Bowie *

kick epic amounts of ass.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 15, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »

Do people really still listen to those old geezers?  You people are really showing your age! Not something you wanna be doing when you are pretending to play on a plastic guitar!  ninja
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: November 15, 2007, 09:02:32 AM »

Well, my situation is, if I can still find a bundle (highly doubt it) to preorder, I'll get this so my family can play it together on Thanksgiving night, beats the gambling that we usually do.

Otherwise, I spend that money on some of the other big games like Crysis, Uncharted, etc... until this becomes more readily available.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2007, 12:50:01 PM »

DLC pricing from gamespot:

Rock Band will still feature pre-selected three-song packs for download, but they will instead cost $5.49 (440 Microsoft points on Xbox 360). Songs will also be available individually for $1.99. Harmonix has said future songs will be sold individually for as little as $.99 (80 Microsoft points), and as much as $2.99 (240 points). However, "the vast majority" will come in at the standard $1.99 price point. The developer did not say how much full-album downloads would be, or when the first albums would be released.

Interesting...very interesting...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 15, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »

It's ok shaggydoug, we don't all have you set on ignore.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 15, 2007, 01:57:07 PM

Whoa!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2007, 03:01:34 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 15, 2007, 02:17:50 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 15, 2007, 01:57:07 PM

Whoa!

(meaning that shaggydoug posted the same pricing info but ATB missed the post and thus a joke about ATB ignoring shaggydoug was born and made much funnier by way of this explanation.  jokes are always better when you have to explain them.)
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 15, 2007, 04:37:24 AM

You'll be able to get it at Best Buy or Wal Mart or Target or Circuit City.  Believe.

Yeah, I would just tell EB to fuck off and order it somewhere else.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 15, 2007, 09:09:29 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 15, 2007, 04:37:24 AM

Yeah, I would just tell EB to fuck off and order it somewhere else.

That's what I ended up doing. There are no midnight releases for Rock Band in my area (Kansas City, MO) so I'm gonna go ahead and just be patient and grab the bundle as it becomes available.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »

Songs at $1.99 each - or 3 for $5.49??

I thought they were going to be releasing "whole albums" as DLC for the game.  In that case, a nine song album would run between $16-$17?

Or have they jettisoned the whole "album" release idea?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 15, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »

Quote from: jament on November 15, 2007, 09:37:50 PM

Songs at $1.99 each - or 3 for $5.49??

I thought they were going to be releasing "whole albums" as DLC for the game.  In that case, a nine song album would run between $16-$17?

Or have they jettisoned the whole "album" release idea?

I think they just haven't announced the album pricing yet.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 15, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »

Toys"R"Us had it available for purchase on their site showing that it would be available on the shipping date of 11/20/2007. SO I bought it from them and paid for the overnight shipping. So I should be rocking with you all next week.  icon_biggrin

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 15, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »

I just noticed that amazon has bumped the price to $249.99. I wonder if there is going to be an overall increase in price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TT4GBG
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2007, 12:04:56 AM »

Quote from: crumsteel on November 15, 2007, 11:59:37 PM

I just noticed that amazon has bumped the price to $249.99. I wonder if there is going to be an overall increase in price.

I noticed this too, and Amazon seems to be the only one raising the price.  I'm not sure why, and all press releases, articles, and gaming sites have all confirmed and reconfirmed the $169 price for the special edition.  I'm not sure what is going on at Amazon.  When I preordered from them I paid $185 with overnight shipping.  Fortunately if they raise the price I'm guaranteed to pay the lowest price listed, and that was back when I preordered for $169 plus shipping. 

I read somewhere that because the game is now being sold through "hubbagames" that the price jumped due to their high markup, but I don't know anything about hubbagames and can't confirm.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2007, 12:14:26 AM »

Just noticed this tidbit.

Microphone can be tapped against your hand to play percussion instruments, such as tambourine and cowbell

adn FYI besbuy lists all special editions at $169 still
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 16, 2007, 12:45:25 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 16, 2007, 12:04:56 AM

Quote from: crumsteel on November 15, 2007, 11:59:37 PM

I noticed this too, and Amazon seems to be the only one raising the price.  I'm not sure why, and all press releases, articles, and gaming sites have all confirmed and reconfirmed the $169 price for the special edition.  I'm not sure what is going on at Amazon.  When I preordered from them I paid $185 with overnight shipping.  Fortunately if they raise the price I'm guaranteed to pay the lowest price listed, and that was back when I preordered for $169 plus shipping. 

I read somewhere that because the game is now being sold through "hubbagames" that the price jumped due to their high markup, but I don't know anything about hubbagames and can't confirm.

i'll bet the official price holds steady at $169 and that increase of at amazon is entirely due to going through a secondary seller now.  i've seen similar things happen with high-demand products in the past.  once amazon has sold out of their stock, they cut a deal to be middle-man for someone else, and that second seller jacks up the price due to the demand.  it's incredibly lame and one can only hope companies like that aren't too successful.  we've seen in the past just how crazy some people are when it comes to buying something they really want though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »

WOOOOOOOT!  We just received our first long-distance RSVP confirmation!  Jancelot has been the first to confirm that he will be flying in to Phoenix for our Rock Band party.  His airline ticket is purchased and he will be arriving less than an hour before the concert hall doors open.   icon_biggrin 

We will most likely return home from the airport to find an angry mob outside our front door chanting, "WE WANT THE SHOW!  WE WANT THE SHOW!"

I'll have to make sure that we have Cab Calloway on hand to do an "impromptu" rendition of Minnie the Moocher to keep the fans pacified until Jancelot and I can sneak in through the ladies' room in the back.

"And we would especially like to welcome all the representatives of Illinois's law enforcement community that have chosen to join us here in the Palace Hotel Ballroom at this time... "

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 16, 2007, 09:07:04 PM

WOOOOOOOT!  We just received our first long-distance RSVP confirmation!  Jancelot has been the first to confirm that he will be flying in to Phoenix for our Rock Band party.  His airline ticket is purchased and he will be arriving less than an hour before the concert hall doors open.   icon_biggrin 

Well that is something!  headbang
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 17, 2007, 04:24:16 AM »

IGN's video review.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: