http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:20:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock Band - Released! Available! Buy now!  (Read 33371 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2007, 03:55:57 AM »

Quote from: Scott on November 07, 2007, 02:11:32 AM

With the GH3 controller you can't:
-Use the effects switch to enable wah-wah, flange, chorus, or echo
-Use the extra 5 frets to play special sections without any strumming
So the extra five buttons lower on the guitar neck are used instead of the top and strumming?  I'm confused.

There are special blue solo sections in the songs.  If you want, you can play those normally.  However, you can also swap to the lower set of buttons, and play the solo essentially finger-tapping.  ie: it's like they're all ho/po notes, but you have to be rhythmically accurate.  Using those buttons is totally optional, but it's a neat option to have.  They also function as normal fret buttons, you can play the entire song up there if you want.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »

Quote from: Szgany on November 07, 2007, 12:11:43 AM

Edit: I went ahead and canceled. I plan on picking the game up next year, once they've had time to get the world tour online patch and
a bit of dl content up. Between Crysis, Mass Effect, Mario Galaxy and Assassin's Creed, my limited game time will be full.

Might have been worthwhile keeping it and trying to flip it on Ebay if there's a shortage through the holidays.

I'm so torn about this game I don't know what to do either though.  The drum kit is SO appealing to me. Shelling out 170.00 for a game that doesn't let me play the best parts and has a meh song list (imo) is the other side of the equation. 

Overall though, I'm keeping my preorder. Whether I actually open it is still TBD.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »

finding out that i can't play BWT without another person physically present is a huge problem for those of us who don't have anyone to play with on a regular basis...means i'll miss out on what sounds like one of the coolest features in the game for an unspecified amount of time until they make the online patch available.  i was on the verge of putting my order in this week, but now i'm not so sure...

as for the new website...very cool design and some great new video footage.  watching the drummer in Rock Band move not only with realism, but also a little bit of enthusiasm for what he's doing, makes the animation in GH3 seem that much worse in comparison.  i really hate sites that automatically resize my browser window though  icon_mad
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:37:44 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2007, 04:40:52 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 07, 2007, 04:28:30 PM

finding out that i can't play BWT without another person physically present is a huge problem for those of us who don't have anyone to play with on a regular basis...means i'll miss out on what sounds like one of the coolest features in the game for an unspecified amount of time until they make the online patch available.  i was on the verge of putting my order in this week, but now i'm not so sure..
Wait, what?  BTW?  Another person?  I missed something while I was away.  Please 'splain?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 07, 2007, 04:40:52 PM

Wait, what?  BTW?  Another person?  I missed something while I was away.  Please 'splain?

No world tour in Singleplayer....only the GH style solo-mode.

More info here.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2007, 04:57:50 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 07, 2007, 04:28:30 PM

finding out that i can't play BWT without another person physically present is a huge problem for those of us who don't have anyone to play with on a regular basis...means i'll miss out on what sounds like one of the coolest features in the game for an unspecified amount of time until they make the online patch available.  i was on the verge of putting my order in this week, but now i'm not so sure..

Band World Tour: with the travelling and fans and neato stuff we've heard about.  This is multiplayer only, with multiplayer meaning a 2 person minimum.  Also, as of now you can only do this with everyone physically present at the same Xbox multiplayer, not online.  New rumor mill reports are in that an online version of this will be patched in at some point.  (Please!)
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 07, 2007, 04:45:20 PM

More info here.

yep...no World Tour unless you actually have someone physically present to play a second instrument at the same time...no single-player tour and no online tour for now.  as someone who has very rarely had anyone present to play GH with over the last few months, i'm out of luck until that patch is released.  even then, you'll still be dependent on the availability of other online players that are part of your group when you want to play that aspect of the game.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »

For those concerned about playing with other bandmates, if you live in the Phoenix area, we'll be having Rock Band get-togethers fairly regularly.  The only requirements are that you enjoy beer, laughing, and rock and roll.  We live in Chandler and always enjoy entertaining guests.  In between sets we have a saltwater aquarium, two puppies, and a fridge full of beer for passing the time between rock-out sessions. 

We have 10 to 15 friends salivating over the upcoming release of Rock Band, and I doubt we'll ever get any of them out of our living room, but I see no reason why we can't add more to the mix.  I don't think there's any limitation on background vocals, and for songs like "Wanted Dead or Alive" singing along is a requirement. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:28:23 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 07, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 07, 2007, 05:03:07 PM

Quote from: Booner on November 07, 2007, 04:45:20 PM

More info here.

yep...no World Tour unless you actually have someone physically present to play a second instrument at the same time...no single-player tour and no online tour for now.  as someone who has very rarely had anyone present to play GH with over the last few months, i'm out of luck until that patch is released.  even then, you'll still be dependent on the availability of other online players that are part of your group when you want to play that aspect of the game.

This is my circumstance exactly.  <sigh>
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 07, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »

Sounds like some of you need to get out there and start posting fliers:

SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2007, 06:37:48 PM »

Pete, that's a good idea. I'm in Gilbert...so I may be taking a few trips up your way for some band goodness. biggrin

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 07, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »

Quote from: SpicyJ on November 07, 2007, 06:37:48 PM

Pete, that's a good idea. I'm in Gilbert...so I may be taking a few trips up your way for some band goodness. biggrin

Where in Gilbert?  We're at Warner and McQueen (which is Mesa Drive north of Baseline).  And are you planning to buy Rock Band?  If so, then you open up an opportunity for some drum-off sessions, as we'll be the only ones buying Rock Band in our circle of friends.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: November 07, 2007, 06:47:58 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2007, 05:17:49 PM

For those concerned about playing with other bandmates, if you live in the Phoenix area, we'll be having Rock Band get-togethers fairly regularly.  The only requirements are that you enjoy beer, laughing, and rock and roll.  We live in Chandler and always enjoy entertaining guests.  In between sets we have a saltwater aquarium, two puppies, and a fridge full of beer for passing the time between rock-out sessions. 

We have 10 to 15 friends salivating over the upcoming release of Rock Band, and I doubt we'll ever get any of them out of our living room, but I see no reason why we can't add more to the mix.  I don't think there's any limitation on background vocals, and for songs like "Wanted Dead or Alive" singing along is a requirement. 

Guess I'll be meeting you in person Pete.  You'll get to meet Laura too. smile  I'm looking forward to meeting your pups!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Szgany
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: November 07, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 07, 2007, 01:30:58 PM

Might have been worthwhile keeping it and trying to flip it on Ebay if there's a shortage through the holidays.

I've considered doing that, but I've made it a point in the past not to do so. I hate to think that some kid will go without the game
this season because his parents can't afford the huge markup I put on it. If I run across the game at Best Buy, when I go to pick
up Mass Effect, I might go ahead and pick it up.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 07, 2007, 06:47:58 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2007, 05:17:49 PM

Guess I'll be meeting you in person Pete.  You'll get to meet Laura too. smile  I'm looking forward to meeting your pups!

I'll let my wife know that we can expect a few more guests for our inaugural Rock Band tour kick-off party.  icon_biggrin Our first big party is probably going to be scheduled for Saturday, December 1.  We'll be in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving from the 21st until the 26th (right when our damn copy of the game will arrive), and because our patience will already be taxed by being away from Rock Band until the 26th we'll want to have our big get-together immediately after our return, and the 1st is the next weekend we'll be home.  Plus, as we near the holidays scheduling will become more and more of a challenge, especially since we leave for Pittsburgh for Christmas on the 19th of December and don't return home until January 2nd, so the 1st of December is pretty much ideal. 

Of course, after the New Year we'll be having Rock Band get-togethers fairly regularly, and we could very well have one again on the following weekend (the 8th) also.  I'll keep you posted on details as we iron them out.   

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 07, 2007, 09:42:37 PM »

I wish I lived in Phoenix  icon_frown.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 07, 2007, 11:45:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 07, 2007, 09:42:37 PM

Dude, we're going to have strobe lights, a disco ball, and fog.  That almost makes at least a weekend trip out here a necessity.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: November 08, 2007, 12:29:56 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2007, 11:45:11 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 07, 2007, 09:42:37 PM

Dude, we're going to have strobe lights, a disco ball, and fog.  That almost makes at least a weekend trip out here a necessity.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/rock_band_band/

This is just beyond awesome.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 08, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »

How much did South Park just hurt Rock Band's chances in the fight against GH?  I'm having complete non-gamer coworkers coming up to me this morning asking, "Have you heard of this game called "Guitar Hero?"  I guess it's all the rage!"
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 08, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2007, 06:46:43 PM

Where in Gilbert?  We're at Warner and McQueen (which is Mesa Drive north of Baseline).  And are you planning to buy Rock Band?  If so, then you open up an opportunity for some drum-off sessions, as we'll be the only ones buying Rock Band in our circle of friends.

Small world smile I'm at Val Vista/Elliot. smile Yes, I have Rock Band reserved, I'll be picking it up on release day. smile I have no space at my place for any sort of Rock Banding though, my 360 is in a very small room in my house. smile

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 08, 2007, 05:19:36 PM »

Quote from: SpicyJ on November 08, 2007, 04:46:44 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2007, 06:46:43 PM

Small world smile I'm at Val Vista/Elliot. smile Yes, I have Rock Band reserved, I'll be picking it up on release day. smile I have no space at my place for any sort of Rock Banding though, my 360 is in a very small room in my house. smile

icon_eek

We shop at the AJ's on Val Vista pretty regularly.  We don't necessarily have limitless space for Rock Band (we live in a townhouse), but our first-floor layout links an open kitchen with the living room and dining area, so space isn't too big a deal.  Plus, our 60" LCD is easily viewed from almost anywhere on the first floor, including our patio, which is another reasonable area for spillover as it is a wonderful time of year to be outside.

Although we've never packed our house with 20 guests, two dogs, and a complete set of rock band instruments, but if anything it will at least be one hell of a memorable time.  We'll need a damn sign-up sheet for each instrument so people can call "next".   icon_lol

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: November 08, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »

I've got the family room for such an event.......but when I shared Pete's plan with the spouse, I think I blew her geek tolerance meter.   

We are going to have several small events with other families over to play.   Unfortunately, no lighting effects and more importantly, no fog.   I'm seriously green Pete.

- shaggy

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 08, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 08, 2007, 05:23:09 PM

I've got the family room for such an event.......but when I shared Pete's plan with the spouse, I think I blew her geek tolerance meter.   

We are going to have several small events with other families over to play.   Unfortunately, no lighting effects and more importantly, no fog.   I'm seriously green Pete.

- shaggy

Dry ice and a bucket of water.  Once the fog starts rolling across the room there won't be much she can do.  Plus, once she starts wailing away on the drums she should hopefully completely forget about how angry she was.  Hopefully.   ninja 

Disclaimer:  GamingTrend and PhillyPeteRock's wife take no responsiblity for any harm or bodily injury sustained from following the advice above.   

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 08, 2007, 07:39:27 PM »

New DLC info announced, tons of great songs here.
Harmonix confirmed that the songs can be purchased in packs or STAND ALONE.
Police pack (Masters)
Roxanne, Synchronicty II, Can't Stand Losing You

Queens of the Stone Age pack (Masters)
3s and 7s, Sick Sick Sick, Little Sister

Metallica pack:
A three or six song pack, no songs announced yet

Black Sabbath pack (Covers):
N.I.B, Sweet Leaf, War Pigs

David Bowie (Masters):
Moonage Daydream, Heroes, Queen Bitch

Punk Pack (Buzzcocks Cover, Rest Masters):
Ever Fallen in Love by Buzzcocks, I Fought the Law by The Clash, Rockaway Beach by The Ramones

Single Songs:
Fortunate Song by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Juke Box Hero by Foreigner
My Sharona by The Knack
Cherry Bomb by The Runaways
Bang a Gong (Get it On) by T-Rex
Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother
Brass in Pocket by The Pretenders
My Iron Lung by Radiohead
Buddy Holly by Weezer
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36678&sid=75a600a66cf5619b5246c368ad765c10
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:13:01 PM by jersoc » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 08, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »

Some good songs on that list.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 08, 2007, 07:48:43 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 08, 2007, 07:39:27 PM

Police pack (Masters)
Roxanne, Synchronicty II, Can't Stand Losing You

I am definitely doing vocals on Roxanne.  Although I have a habit of getting a little carried away with the "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOXAAAAAANE!" parts, so that could hurt our score somewhat.   ninja   

Black Sabbath pack (Covers):
N.I.B, Sweet Leaf, War Pigs

icon_eek

My absolute favorite song from GHII.

Juke Box Hero by Foreigner

Literally just yesterday my wife came walking into the house singing this very song after having heard it on the radio and in passing said, "That is what they need on Rock Band." 

Ask and you shall receive. 

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 08, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »

drool

That's more DLC than GH2 has put out in 9 months. I just wish some of those could, you know, already be in the game when you plunk down 170 smackeroos.

Those are some good songs, though. It'll all come down to pricing... though the added drum and singing functionality make me more willing to shell out the duckets than I am for just GH.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 08, 2007, 08:19:52 PM »

Apparently on the official forums a Harmonix dev said that songs in song packs will always also be available as single song downloads.

That's great news, but I'm still very scared about the pricing.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 08, 2007, 08:21:49 PM »

When I heard Jukebox Hero on some phone commercial the other day, I thought to myself it would be perfect for one of these guitar games.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 08, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »

I am powerless not to buy Fortunate Son. That song will be so damn fun to play and sing.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »

David Bowie (Masters):
Heroes

My Iron Lung by Radiohead
Buddy Holly by Weezer

I hate weezer, but I like that song.

My wife will flip when she discovers another Radiohead song.

And who doesn't love David Bowie? We could be heroes! Just for one day!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 08, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »

David Bowie (Masters):
Moonage Daydream, Heroes, Queen Bitch

Awesome list overall, but these are beautiful.  Just beautiful.  :sniff:  Now they just need to announce Ziggy Stardust as their next full DLC album. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 08, 2007, 10:00:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 08, 2007, 05:19:36 PM

Plus, our 60" LCD is easily viewed from almost anywhere on the first floor, including our patio, which is another reasonable area for spillover as it is a wonderful time of year to be outside.

Although we've never packed our house with 20 guests, two dogs, and a complete set of rock band instruments, but if anything it will at least be one hell of a memorable time.  We'll need a damn sign-up sheet for each instrument so people can call "next".   icon_lol

Damn, man... how much is airfare from Iowa to Phoenix?! I want to come play with you guys! icon_biggrin I can just imagine dragging my SO with me. "You want to fly to Phoenix to do WHAT?!"

Actually she'd probably come along too. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 08, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 08, 2007, 10:00:24 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 08, 2007, 05:19:36 PM

Plus, our 60" LCD is easily viewed from almost anywhere on the first floor, including our patio, which is another reasonable area for spillover as it is a wonderful time of year to be outside.

Damn, man... how much is airfare from Iowa to Phoenix?! I want to come play with you guys! icon_biggrin I can just imagine dragging my SO with me. "You want to fly to Phoenix to do WHAT?!"

Actually she'd probably come along too. icon_wink

Well, from Des Moines it looks like about $275 round-trip per person on Expedia, but I have no idea where you'd be flying from.  You can probably count on around $300 round-trip depending on the weekend and how many days you would be in town.  We have a guest room, so lodging wouldn't be an issue.  But beer is the typical cover charge, and I normally go through a lot of it.

Am I going to have to start providing housing for the GT Rock Band world tour?  I didn't realize providing fog for our Rock Band parties would be such a draw.   icon_eek 

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 11, 2007, 06:24:15 AM »

Any chance the DLC will be available for the PS3?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 12, 2007, 03:55:52 AM »

Where's Green Day or Linkin Park? 

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: November 12, 2007, 05:51:07 AM »

Quote from: ras752000 on November 11, 2007, 06:24:15 AM

Any chance the DLC will be available for the PS3?
Well, they've already released a couple of Guitar Hero 3 content packs on the Playstation Store.  So clearly there are no technical hurdles.  I'd say signs point to yes.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 12, 2007, 07:39:54 AM »

So this tuesday, or maybe later this week, after their gaming site battle they're going to announce something big. My prediction is the entire library of guitar hero 1 and 2 for download. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 12, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 12, 2007, 07:39:54 AM

So this tuesday, or maybe later this week, after their gaming site battle they're going to announce something big. My prediction is the entire library of guitar hero 1 and 2 for download. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

If there's something big to be announced, I'd guess it would be a subscription model for the DLC.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: