http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock Band Impressions!  (Read 77084 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »

I should make an unboxing video- opening this thing up is so epic.  So many parts and boxes and sub boxes.

Thus far I have opened the guitar- and it is beautiful.  So beautiful.

The buttons are big.  I like big butt-ons and I cannot lie.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 07:31:17 PM

I should make an unboxing video- opening this thing up is so epic.  So many parts and boxes and sub boxes.

Thus far I have opened the guitar- and it is beautiful.  So beautiful.

Your impressions suck.  So far they're like buying a child a new toy and watching them instead play with the box it came in.  We all know what the stuff looks like.  How does it play?

So far your impressions threads include smelling a manual and visually caressing game peripherals.  I hope GamingTrend isn't paying you for your review "work". 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:36:30 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »

Wow! The drums are much bigger than I thought they would be. WOOHOO!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2007, 07:33:12 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 07:31:17 PM

Mean words

At least I have my copy.  ninja2

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:52:00 PM by ATB » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »

I saw a few of these at Gamestop this afternoon.

My impressions are that the box is really big.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:50:59 PM »

does it make up for weighing 110 lbs with solid feeling controllers?  damn that thing is huge.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2007, 07:50:59 PM

does it make up for weighing 110 lbs with solid feeling controllers?  damn that thing is huge.

The drums appear to be very well built. Guitar too.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:54:31 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 20, 2007, 07:50:06 PM

I saw a few of these at Gamestop this afternoon.

My impressions are that the box is really big.

Fuck yeah it is.  It barely fit in my trunk with my golf clubs in there.

gellar
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »

ugh, I may have to "hint" my wife into buying me this for Christmas.  I wasn't really all that into it, but being able to play the drums to master tracks just sounds way too damn fun.   icon_twisted
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »

22 pounds according to ups Tongue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 20, 2007, 08:04:42 PM

22 pounds according to ups Tongue

you better check the box because 22 lbs barely covers the guitar and all the packaging.  someone stolded your drumz d00d!

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »

Speaking of a "nice set of drums", I don't see a pic of Ms. Raymond here pimping Rock Band. You've failed 2 threads in one day  slywink

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 20, 2007, 08:56:18 PM

Speaking of a "nice set of drums", I don't see a pic of Ms. Raymond here pimping Rock Band. You've failed 2 threads in one day  slywink

Oooh, fun. I wanna play!

Speaking of "well-built"....

Speaking of "big box"....
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 11:14:33 PM »

Would someone please for the love of God tell me how you can get the XBOX Live Headset to work as a mic? I've scoured the web and read the manual to the game (where it mentions it works) and can't figure out how to make it register.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 11:15:25 PM »

For me?  My impressions is "Goddamn am I rusty!"  Apparently I've lost those double tap bass skills on the drums.  The exception to the rule?  RUSH of course!  I can beat that on Expert for some obvious reason. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 11:24:59 PM »

After about 4 songs, I'm gonna say that so far this game is taking me back to the joy that I had when I unboxed and played the original Guitar Hero for the first time.  icon_biggrin

The guitar controller for this game is superior in every way: heft, button pressure required, two sets of frets, the strum bar doesn't click, the whammy bar and even the buttons to control as a regular controller are better.

My whole reason for buying the game was the drums and I've not even touched them yet.

Things I love:

1. Big rock ending. What a hoot. It brought a smile to the face about the same as the one I got playing More Than A Feeling for the first time.
2. The second set of frets. Though I usually miss 4 notes moving my hands into position, I love the way solos work.
3. Star rating builds as you play: I love that. You know exactly how you're doing.
4. Character Creation is appropriately robust: Mass Effect it's not, but it's quite good.
5. The sound. For whatever reason GH2 sounded like butt coming out of my 5.1. This game sounds brilliant.
6. The animations: Very strong and on the par of what you expect given history with GH.
7. I like how the notes are presented. Not majorly different than GH, but somehow better
8. You can earn more 'energy' (starpower) even if you're in the middle of using it.

Things that are questionable:

1. It hasn't explained how to use the sound effect switch even though I've done all the tutorials. Don't know what the deal is with that
2.  I'm not used to the button press weight yet- probably because it's a new controller- but the buttons aren't loose enough to move through the notes as quickly as I'm used to in GH

Things that I can't stand:
1. That I should be playing Mass Effect right now but don't want to  eek
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 12:06:22 AM »

Also, anyone figured out how to do the single player tour as a bassist? I don't even see an option for it.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 12:14:09 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 21, 2007, 12:06:22 AM

Also, anyone figured out how to do the single player tour as a bassist? I don't even see an option for it.

I seem to remember hearing it wasn't an option.  Only available for guitar, vocals, and drums.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »

Thanks....by the way, do you know how to use the XBOX Live Headset as a microphone? This is driving me nuts, I can't get it to work.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 12:36:52 AM »

A few random thoughts after finishing most of the solo drum campaign on Medium and a couple tiers of both guitar and vocals:

-  I have drummed until I can drum no more.  My arms and ankle are actually sore from banging on those things all day.  But man, was it fun!  There has never been a gaming moment quite like pounding out Enter Sandman while the crowd sings along.

-  Some of the drum note charts (on Medium) are tough to get used to.  In the spirit of making the songs "easier", they take out bass kicks that you know are in there.  I always lose my multiplier when I get in a groove and start to play naturally.  Forces a lot more concentration than I'm used to while drumming.

-  I could do without ever hearing Maps or that Coheed & Cambria shit again.

-  Tried to get in some online games, but got nothing.  Just as with GH III, I assume things will be wonky for a couple weeks.

-  Vocals are fun, but I feel like an idiot singing along by myself on my couch.  Creep is a blast to sing.

-  Neversoft needs to take some lessons from Harmonix on how to design both graphics and a user interface.  Everything about RB is easy to find, intuitive, and looks great.  The only glitch I've found is that my awesome run through Hand That Feeds on guitar isn't showing up on the leaderboards.

-  Bummed that my guitar is broken, as I really like the feel of this one.  Unfortunately, my tilt sensor doesn't work so I'll have to get with EA and see what they can do.  Their support website is down, so we'll see what happens.  This is probably my bad karma shot for "renting" a 360 from Best Buy until mine gets fixed.

-  Apparently, Gold Stars don't mean the same in Rock Band as they do in GH.  I got 100% on the Garbage song, but didn't get a gold star.  Got 99% on Hand That Feeds (missed one note   icon_evil ), but got Gold Stars.  Not sure what the significance is.

More to come later...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 11:24:59 PM

1. It hasn't explained how to use the sound effect switch even though I've done all the tutorials. Don't know what the deal is with that

You can switch effects during solos to add different sounds.  Doesn't add anything to your point total, but is fun to play around with.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 12:47:44 AM »

How much space does the drum kit take up?  Does it collapse into a manageable form or do you have to take it completely apart for storage?  I'm thinking of buying the game and waiting for the drum kit to become available, tackling the guitar/bass solo career (and vocal if someone can get the headset mic working).  If the drums are just unmanagable, though, I'm not going to bother, probably.

I'm also wondering how entertaining this'll be single player-wise.  My wife doesn't seem interested, and I don't think I can convince Jade Raymond to come play with me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 01:10:49 AM »

That was my question too.  How much fun would this be for someone without rl friends?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 01:10:54 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 21, 2007, 12:37:32 AM

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 11:24:59 PM

You can switch effects during solos to add different sounds.  Doesn't add anything to your point total, but is fun to play around with.

You get the effect when you activate 'star power'.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 01:19:04 AM »

Is anyone having trouble getting the controllers to register on the box?

I've plugged in the hub but can't get the lights to come on for the drums or the guitar now.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 01:46:02 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2007, 12:47:44 AM

I'm also wondering how entertaining this'll be single player-wise.

According to the reviews, the whole World Tour mode (or whatever it's called) where you create your character and travel around the world playing different venues and accumulating fans is only available if you have at least 2 players.  Otherwise, you just get the standard Guitar Hero-style tracklists.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 01:49:38 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 21, 2007, 01:46:02 AM

According to the reviews, the whole World Tour mode (or whatever it's called) where you create your character and travel around the world playing different venues and accumulating fans is only available if you have at least 2 players.  Otherwise, you just get the standard Guitar Hero-style tracklists.

You can also sing and play guitar (or drums) by yourself, but you'd have to be pretty good.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 02:02:03 AM »

Has there ever been any rationale behind this?  The World Tour thing sounds great to me even just as a guitarist so I'm pretty bummed that it isn't an option to us solo-only gamers. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 02:02:10 AM »

O.M.G. the drums.  It's magic I tell you MAGIC.

Dead or alive on easy is one of the easiest songs and I cans till only 4 star it. THIS IS GONNA BE ONE GRAND ADVENTURE MY FRIENDS!

As for my issues before, I forgot to plug in the hub to the electricity.  retard

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 02:02:36 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 21, 2007, 02:02:03 AM

Has there ever been any rationale behind this?  The World Tour thing sounds great to me even just as a guitarist so I'm pretty bummed that it isn't an option to us solo-only gamers. 

It's supposed to be opened in a patch for solo gamers I had heard in the coming weeks...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 03:26:05 AM »

Quote from: ATB on November 21, 2007, 02:02:36 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 21, 2007, 02:02:03 AM

It's supposed to be opened in a patch for solo gamers I had heard in the coming weeks...

That's good news- I'm not planning on getting it until I can get it with just the guitar so no rush. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 03:33:53 AM »

The game just patched when I logged in.  Not sure what it did though...

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 04:20:55 AM »

My 18 month old future rocker. He knew what those sticks were for before I could show him.

===

I only had time to play a few songs on the drums. passed my first song on my medium, failed the second FAST. Dropped down to easy to try to get into it and am having a LOT of fun with easy. It seems you have to hit the drums a bit harder than I would like, especially since I like to play while my son is napping. But drumming feels so much more real than the guitar stuff, at least in GH games.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 04:42:35 AM »

Just cracked it open and did a few drum and guitar songs.

Like Gratch said, seems like there were some beats mising on medium. Almost felt un-natural at times, but still fun.

I don't like the guitar at all. Half a song in, I switched to the GH3 guitar and did MUCH better.

Anyone else having a problem transitioning from the GH guitar to the RB one?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 04:54:41 AM »

It takes some time to get used to the new guitar, but I wound up liking it better.  Since the buttons are all flush, slides are much easier to accomplish.  The strum bar has a different feel, but it's much easier to grab during those "strum like crazy" speed sections.

I came home from chorus rehearsal tonight to find that my GF, who is very vocal about not singing, had been doing the solo vocal campaign for two hours.  We just spent the last hour and a half doing Band World Tour with her on vocals and me on drums.  She doesn't like many games, and it's even rarer that she turns on a game to play by herself, so this is fairly impressive.  I can't wait until we have our next Rock Band get-together.

Speaking of which, I have to download the new tracks.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 04:57:55 AM »

Quote from: Devil on November 21, 2007, 04:42:35 AM

Anyone else having a problem transitioning from the GH guitar to the RB one?

I am as well.  I'm hear something rattling around inside it, which is not a good sign.  The big thing I noticed with it is when a bunch of notes come in a row really fast, I'm missing waaaay too many with it.  It feels like it's not detecting the strumming as well as it should.  The strum bar is really really loose as well. Any one else noticing this?

In the meantime I'm using the GH3 controller though and liking it alot better smile

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 05:31:23 AM »

Dammit.

Got through about 45 seconds of my first song with my fiancee before she complained the visuals were making her nauseas.  She never had this problem with GH, and it's something normally she only deals with in FPS games (she's even played through Splinter Cell just fine).

Pretty much ruins any hope I had of enjoying the game, since it's not really a solo venture and I'm out of town too much to waste weekend time with people other than her.

Any advice?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 06:14:12 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 21, 2007, 04:54:41 AM

I came home from chorus rehearsal tonight to find that my GF, who is very vocal about not singing, had been doing the solo vocal campaign for two hours.  We just spent the last hour and a half doing Band World Tour with her on vocals and me on drums.  She doesn't like many games, and it's even rarer that she turns on a game to play by herself, so this is fairly impressive.  I can't wait until we have our next Rock Band get-together.

Mrs. Gratch - who had previously (grudgingly) agreed to give singing a shot - changed her mind and refuses to even try it.  Looks like I'll be doing it all solo until they open up the online World Tour. frown

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 06:22:07 AM »

The drums are both stupid fun and stupid hard.  If I know the song (Weezer), I do OK.  If I don't know the song very well (Creep), I get UTTERLY DESTROYED.

It's gonna take some practice.

The World Tour mode is awesome.  The girlfriend got into it and we made a band... been a great time so far.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 06:29:24 AM »

I agree re: drums. You have to smack em to get the note to register. I guess that's a part of rocking.

Also, I'm wondering if some of the note detection is off as I know I'm hitting the beat yet I still get a missed noted.

Still all aces though!

PS. I can't sing worth a hoot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: