http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:51:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock Band 3  (Read 23339 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 30, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »

I thought that RB3 keys would be all about the pro mode, but I tried expert non-pro keys last night and it's incredibly fun.  I expected it to be basically like playing a whole guitar song with the solo frets, but it's got a decidedly different feel.  The biggest change is that it does away with the guitar charting rule of non-overlapping notes.  You could do a yellow blue orange chord, then shift yellow blue to red green while keeping orange held the whole time.  The song I was playing last night would do this shifting multiple times.

I really did thing non-pro keys would have a boring fisher price piano feel, but it's a ton of fun. 
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 30, 2010, 01:25:37 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 30, 2010, 10:04:23 AM

Is there a way to have multiple bands in RB3? I can't see an option for it.

One thing someone mentioned as being not in the game that I definitely heard last night was the crowd singing along.  It's a little more subtle now, but it definitely happened.

I heard it with Wanted Dead or Alive.  Might it be part of the older track?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 30, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »

Yeah, pretty sure the older tracks with sing along will still have it. The new tracks just appear to have cheering.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 30, 2010, 09:21:15 PM »

hey guys, quick question that for some reason I can't find the answer to. Can you play more than 2 guitars at once? Possibly bringing this to a halloween party and I can't lug my drums along.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 30, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2010, 09:21:15 PM

hey guys, quick question that for some reason I can't find the answer to. Can you play more than 2 guitars at once? Possibly bringing this to a halloween party and I can't lug my drums along.

You'd use one guitar for guitar and the other for bass.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »

he said more than 2 slywink  Not sure if you can or not.  I think one of the GH games let you play with 4 guitars if you wanted, people just play duplicate parts
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »

Holy cow - is this game ever -good-, in all respects (that I've been able to try so far). Got some drums in and those are as good as I remember - keyboard is good, though I've mostly been trying Pro on Easy and Medium where I'm clinging to life for most of the songs. I'm hoping that that (plus practicing in the Training mode) will help me slowly get competent.

Exporting the RB and RB2 soundtracks was well worth it. It's going to be a long time before I get sick of just those playlists and have to throw more DLC in.

What difficulty do most people end up 'settling' on? I could just barely scrape by on Hard difficulty for easy songs in RB1 on guitar, it seems harder for some of the DLC and RB3 songs - but I've never really had the urge to go over Easy on drums, and keyboards I really want to strive to get better on the Pro mode (maybe eventually to Hard).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

I guess a lot of people must not be playing on Pro Drums because I just got #10 on the leaderboards on one song and #22 on another.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 30, 2010, 11:34:49 PM

I guess a lot of people must not be playing on Pro Drums because I just got #10 on the leaderboards on one song and #22 on another.

I'm not sure what's up with the leaderboards, unless the sales are awful or people just haven't played much. I got #1 in easy drums on one song - maybe I'm just the only one still playing Easy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 31, 2010, 12:42:27 AM »

I think the second solo in Freebird just sprained my fingers....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2010, 02:41:44 AM »

I was number 1 on pro drums for Vaseline as of yesterday.  And I didn't even gold star it.  I think there are so many songs out there that people just haven't played through most of them yet.  It's a good time to get high on some leaderboards before people start putting up crazy scores and figuring out the optimal overdrive paths.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:43:28 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2010, 04:45:47 AM »

I would be playing the Pro drums if they would release the midi box.  I have a real electronic set and really want to play in that mode but can't.....

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 31, 2010, 05:15:01 AM »

need my 3rd cymbal :|

Do i need another kick pedal or is that optional?
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 31, 2010, 11:48:39 AM »

I don't know if it is just because I haven't played Rock Band in oh..6-8 months or so..or if it's some charm of RB3, but I bought this yesterday and spent the next 5 hours or so playing.  I didn't pick up the keyboard since I have a full sized keyboard and hope to use that once the adapter is released.

I played mostly drums, a little bit of guitar, and a lot of singing.  I had hoped to sing vocals/backup with my wife, but apparently you need an actual mic for both singers (I have one USB mic and the other I was trying to use was the one that plugs into the controller).  The game wouldn't recognize the controller-mic, even though I remember using that with previous versions of RB.

I imagine the game has not sold that well (to date) since I placed #1 on a couple of songs and top 10 on a bunch of songs, even if I only 4-starred the songs.  I think the real draw of this iteration is the Pro guitar, and not being available at release is certainly disappointing.

The ability to drop in/drop out of songs is nice, but it could be a bit less intrusive to the person already in.  Let the joiner/quitter have his lane highway pause and resume, but don't affect me as I'm playing the tune.  In other words, make it seamless to the person already in.  It's already a step in the right direction, but I don't want to be interrupted as I'm playing.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: October 31, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »

The controller mic stopped working as soon as harmonies were added (Beatles, for instance, doesn't work with headset mics). We discussed it a few pages ago.

The mics for Lips work well for the mic, but I still use the "A" button on the controller for the cymbals.

It'd be nice if Kinect would integrate to allow you to tambourine on your hip, or hit a MadCatz cowbell. biggrin

OMG Peripheral overload!!! slywink

Spoiler for MadCatz always...:
reminds me of Dr. Claw
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:06:55 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »

I missed that discussion.  In any event, after a quick trip to Best Buy, I now have a 2nd mic and cymbals.

Rock on.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 01, 2010, 12:29:31 AM »

The decision has been made that, even pending Pro Guitar, a 2nd regular guitar is needed, due to the extensive nature of the non-keyboard playlist (and I really, really don't feel like 'playing' guitar on the keyboard). Any recommendations on foot pedals to trigger overdrive for my wonky old RB1 guitar? Is the standard Mad Catz one fine?

Or am I just missing a 'trick' to easily trigger it? It seems to take some real thrashing about to do it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2010, 02:40:39 AM »

I hit the back button with the palm of my right hand.  It's a subtle enough movement that I can do it in the middle of a lot of notes without it breaking streak, as typically would happen when I'd try tilting.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2010, 03:14:09 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 01, 2010, 02:40:39 AM

I hit the back button with the palm of my right hand.  It's a subtle enough movement that I can do it in the middle of a lot of notes without it breaking streak, as typically would happen when I'd try tilting.

I'm experimenting with that now. It's an adjustment for me as I typically strum upwards - to do that motion I'm having to strum downwards, so I miss notes plentifully. It's worth a shot though.

Also, the 'new game' shiny happiness just wore off in a big way - I found a load screen (roadies loading amp) that now hard-locks my XBox no matter what. Installing the game to see if it will help, but it renders some songs unreachable. FURIOUS.

Edit: Installing the game seemed to work. Still furious though. I hate freezing console games. I HAVE A PC FOR THAT!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:47:28 AM by Clanwolfer » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »

wait, you can activate SP with the pedal on a guitar? how? my guitar is janky and sometimes tilting up won't work
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on November 01, 2010, 03:14:09 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 01, 2010, 02:40:39 AM

I hit the back button with the palm of my right hand.  It's a subtle enough movement that I can do it in the middle of a lot of notes without it breaking streak, as typically would happen when I'd try tilting.

I'm experimenting with that now. It's an adjustment for me as I typically strum upwards - to do that motion I'm having to strum downwards, so I miss notes plentifully. It's worth a shot though.

I can't picture how you're holding your right hand.  I hold the strum bar as if it was a guitar pick, between my thumb and forefinger. Whether I'm strumming up, down, or in the middle of tremelo picking, I just need to twist my wrist slightly to get my palm to mash the back button.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:09 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 01, 2010, 04:32:30 AM

wait, you can activate SP with the pedal on a guitar? how? my guitar is janky and sometimes tilting up won't work

There's a mystery port you can plug your drum pedal into. Pretty sure it's not in the RB1 guitars.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 28, 2010, 12:29:10 PM

I love how the game tells you where you rank on the leaderboards right after you play through the song.  I'm not sure it's always 100% accurate.  But having the instant feedback is still awesome.

Yeah, and in addition to that it tells you whether or not you beat the score of someone on your friends list. I was playing through the Pro Keys easy goals and found that occasionally I'd need X amount of points to beat wonderpug. That kind of spurred me on to try and do better  Tongue

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »

Quote from: DonD on October 31, 2010, 11:48:39 AM

I think the real draw of this iteration is the Pro guitar, and not being available at release is certainly disappointing.

Yes, the RB3 software release is pretty disappointing to me compared to the excitement after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2JxcujIGhw&feature=related
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »

So, anyone have any tips on Pro Keys hand placement?  Admittedly I've only gone through some of the trainers, and I'm playing around with keeping my right thumb on middle c, but that was tricky for at least one of the warmup songs on easy, and I'm not really certain where to place my left hand.  Also, I haven't taken piano lessons in almost 30 years...  any tips out there?  Is it going to vary by song?

Found it - designed for Right hand only.

Time to go through more tutorials  icon_redface
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:37:44 PM by Pyperkub » Logged

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »

PS - Can't wait for Subdivisions to come out tomorrow.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: November 01, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »

I'm waiting for Poets of the Fall (you know, the guys behind the themes to Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake) to release some DLC for the game. I know they've been working on it for a while, so it's probably not far away. smile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »

Played  crap ton this weekend. Sometimes I like the extra challenges and sometimes hate them. It seems like it was a semi cheap way to make you play within your means. But man, getting the streak one for drums is a real bitch. I can not play songs on hard despite playing expert drums. Hard is just way, way too slow and there's so many missing notes that I do worse. So basically if it's a ridiculous song that I can beat, but not keep a streak, i'm boned out of 5 spades. Kinda lame, but those appear random so hopefully I can keep trying until I can over drive or something. That's my biggest gripe about it.

Also, was break on through put in the game just to hate on drummers? holy shit. My arm was so damn sore after that one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »

I just did Riders on the Storm with the bass on Hard. I'm new to music games, so this was one of my first attempts going above Medium. Man, that song was torture! The bass is just repetition over and over again, and it requires enormous finger dexterity. I was sweating and cramped up in my thumb after finishing it with 3 stars. Only afterwards did I learn that The Doors didn't even use a regular bassist for that song, they used a keyboardist. Bastards! Tongue
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 01, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 01, 2010, 08:06:18 PM

I'm waiting for Poets of the Fall (you know, the guys behind the themes to Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake) to release some DLC for the game. I know they've been working on it for a while, so it's probably not far away. smile

Oh, awesome. I'd love to play Late Goodbye and their cover of You Know My Name.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 01, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 01, 2010, 08:20:07 PM

Played  crap ton this weekend. Sometimes I like the extra challenges and sometimes hate them. It seems like it was a semi cheap way to make you play within your means. But man, getting the streak one for drums is a real bitch. I can not play songs on hard despite playing expert drums. Hard is just way, way too slow and there's so many missing notes that I do worse. So basically if it's a ridiculous song that I can beat, but not keep a streak, i'm boned out of 5 spades. Kinda lame, but those appear random so hopefully I can keep trying until I can over drive or something. That's my biggest gripe about it.

Also, was break on through put in the game just to hate on drummers? holy shit. My arm was so damn sore after that one
dont' play it on hard, you're making it harder on yourself.  Just play on expert and you should unlock all the easy-through-expert challenges.  I have only played on expert and have unlocked several hard challenges. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:37 AM »

huh? it's not the achievements. it's the spades
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 02, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 02, 2010, 06:37:37 AM

Agreed wholeheartedly. There's nothing worse than learning a new instrument (pro keys) and getting one of the ridiculous streak ones. A couple of them are FC or DIE. Hey - hit a fifty note streak for 1/2 a spade. The spotlight one can also be particularly bad. We were playing with my friend and her son who's eight. He took on the challenge of regular keys on easy.  He got in the spotlight early and was never able to pass it off so we got no spades on the song.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 02, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 02, 2010, 06:37:37 AM

never even saw spades before, had only seen goals.  tried career today and found spades.  I definitely hate when games give you something that HAS to be done at a lower difficulty.  I should never be forced to play on an easier setting for any reason other than I can't play successfully on a harder one.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 02, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »

btw, how do I delete Visions?
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 02, 2010, 01:20:08 PM

btw, how do I delete Visions?

It does not import with RB2.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »

Does anyone have a full list of all the RB1 and RB2 songs that are not playable in RB3?

I've heard that Black Hole Sun and Dani California are missing, which seriously pisses me off if true...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: November 02, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »

There's a detailed guide at the Rock Band site.

Man is this game addicting. Time just flies when I sit down and play it, and I don't even notice the world around me until my wrists start to hurt (on guitar) or I'm drenched in sweat from particularly challenging songs. RB3 is my first music game, and I've already started to 5-star some of the easier songs on Hard with bass. Hey, that might not be impressive to you, but it's impressive to me. slywink
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »

Did anyone else sign up to get email news from Fender about the Squier. Because I did, and the long awaited email finally arrived.

Squier Pricing and availability here.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:54 PM »

Quote from: raydude on November 02, 2010, 07:40:01 PM

Did anyone else sign up to get email news from Fender about the Squier. Because I did, and the long awaited email finally arrived.

Squier Pricing and availability here.

IN!  As long as it was $300 or under, I was in.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: