http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 04:33:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rising Price of Games?  (Read 2093 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2004, 10:50:29 PM »

Hi!  I wanted to comment on the possible jump in game prices.  I know this might  sound stupid - but I'm kinda for it.  20 years is amazing for $50 a pop - just think how much gas has gone up - image that $50 buying gas in 1980 at what? 70 cents?  Now today you have to spend 2.00 out of that $50 for the same thing.  No wonder so many promising developers keep ending up in the red and gone.  The whole time they have been spending more time, more effort more production and frankly creating more increasingly AWESOME games!  In the interest of our hobby I think a price hike is more than justifiable and will allow developers to continue bringing us the bigger and better games we expect.  (and don't be surprised to see more and more ad revenue coming into game developers either).  Thats it, my 2 cents

PS Mods is it possible to destroy the account "Doopri"  Im kinda boneheaded and hit the wrong key entering my email, so Doopri - the name I wanted - is getting an activation email send to an email account that doesnt exist.  If its easy and ya dont mind Id appreciate it (wanted my forum name to be my xbox tag)  Thanks if possible!

EJ
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 11:17:47 PM »

I don't see the market bearing it. It's allready starting to show that gamers aren't as willing to shill out 50 bucks a pop. As more and more people sit on games until their eventual price drop.

Shoot, Sony sells the majority of their games at 39.99, and Nintendo seems to be moving in that direction as well, so I don't see what CNN is talking about.

Maybe third party publishers are feeling it moreso than others, but I think that if you make a great game, it will sell at almost any price. Crap just won't sell. However, a more average to just plain good game can move more units at a lowe price point, sometimes.

The real change we're going to see at retail is less focu on the Holiday season, more and more developers and publishers are starting to realize that this Holiday crush is bad for business and in the next few years we many start to see a more balanced release schedule.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 11:30:58 PM »

Sega Sports is going the other way and I like it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 12:15:39 AM »

I definately see a trend towards the "collectors edition" type products to bleed a little extra from the fans.  I am not against this as long as the extras seem worth it to me.

I am making more money now than I have in my life, but I find my gaming budget is not what it once was.  This has a lot to do with losing the time it takes to earn the money, but I also find that my wallet has more pressing needs than a $50 video game.

I am taking the "wait for price-drop" approach more and more these days as I look for value and bang-for-the-buck.  As mentioned above, it makes sense for publishers to spread out their releases.

The author makes a good point for the online titles, but it remains to be seen if people are willing to start shelling out for multiple subscriptions, like the MMORPG games.  While publishers would love to see that happen, I don't think there is a market for much more than a handful of big ones.

As the article mentions, people are accustomed to the $50 price point.  I, for one, will certainly expect something better than average when I am dropping that kind of coin.  Then again, I suspect publishers will probably be able to pull it off when selling games for the next generation of consoles.  As long as it looks better a great many will likely be satisfied.

I'm always going to be looking for a bargain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 02:13:32 AM »

It's true that a lot more money is being spent to create games now, but the market is also much larger, so more people are buying them.  I'm sure that Final Fantasy 7 cost a whole lot more than Final Fantasy 6 to create, but Square probably made more money on FF7 than FF6.

Also, increasing the price of games will lead more people to not only wait for it to be cheaper, but also to buy used games.  I think the $50 price will hold for the next round of consoles.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 02:28:31 AM »

Umm, weren't a lot of SNES games $60-$80?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 02:52:21 AM »

You have to consider that there are a lot more copies being sold today, too, so that supports a price drop.  Suppy/Demand/Blah/Blah/Blah.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 03:21:02 AM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"

Consider how much more expensive it is to make cartridges versus either CDs or DVDs. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 10:51:33 AM »

Right now, I think $50 is the most I'm willing to spend on a game.  If the prices did rise, I could spend time with my giant backlog of games and wait until the game goes on sale.  
There's also so many games being released, as a consumer I need to be a little more choosy at $50 a pop.  It's a good thing there are games like ESPN titles and Katamari Damacy to ease the spending a little bit.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 02:07:27 PM »

Here's my problem with the $50 price tag - if I buy a game at that tag or higher then it better be worth that. Most of the games I've played have been worth $30-$35 max. There are the AAA titles out there like Half-Life, or AvP 2 or NOLF or one of the Final Fantasy games, that are worth that much because I know I'll get my money's worth out of it. Consider how damn expensive it is for a night of dinner and a movie then compare that with the expense and length of most video games, both console and PC. Where I feel ripped off is on a game like Doom 3 that is praised to no end, is priced higher than $50, and the game is over in a day or two and sucks the length of it. That hurt. On the flip side, I'm waiting for all the total conversions and bad-ass mods to come out then I'll reinstall. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »

Yep.  As were many PC games in the early 90s... off the top of my head, Ultima VIII, Strike Commander, 7th Guest, etc. were all retailing around $80.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 09:16:40 PM »

I never want to pay more but look at it, you will be able to buy games used.  If you do not want to pay $50 or $60 for a new game, wait for it used.  Or it will go on sale.  Also games cost millions to make and NES games didn't.  

Just a crappy game like Dark Angel or Alias still have to buy rights to the shows.  Or if you make a good game you have to spend money making it good instead of just buying rights.

coming up with a great game like Super Mario Bros doesn't take a lot of money but only a good idea.  Now the ideas are the same so they have to spend money making them good somehow.

There are still good ideas out there even but you have to make them 3D and great or people won't even bother.  So it still costs money.  

You could also have used games be illegal and then the companies would get more money so their games could be cheaper but probably people wouldn't buy as many games so in the end it is the same.  

Just be happy, man.  The cutscenes and menus for most games now would keep people busy for hours in the Atari days.  Think about that.  Ha ha ha ha.   Cool

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 08:26:37 PM »

Well, I confess that I ditched Madden for ESPN this past august because it was $25...can't beat that and the game turned out to be totally sweet.  But how did they pull that off?  Are they just going to deal with a massive debt in exchange for converting loyalties?

EW
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 10:10:32 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Are they just going to deal with a massive debt in exchange for converting loyalties?

I think that's the plan.  I can't think of any other reason for it.  I would be interested to know if it worked.  From what a friend told me it didn't seem to put a dent in sales, but I didn't see the article (from Newsweek, I believe).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 11:34:01 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Yep.  As were many PC games in the early 90s... off the top of my head, Ultima VIII, Strike Commander, 7th Guest, etc. were all retailing around $80.

I forgot that N64 prices were in this range, too.  I just read on IGN's XBox site that Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64 retailed for $70.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 11:49:30 PM »

I forgot that N64 prices were in this range, too.  I just read on IGN's XBox site that Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64 retailed for $70.

I bought that game the day it came out, and I know that there was no way in hell that I paid that kind of cash for that game.

Back in my younger days, I remember all SNES and Genesis carts running $50, the industry standard. Short of Phantasy Star 4 (which I remember was like $70 when it came out), and Virtua Racing (included some extra chips for the console), I remember the standard pricing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 08:55:41 AM »

I refuse to go much higher than $30 on a game.  This usually means I dont get it fresh from the oven, but there are generally sales within the first month which bring it to my price point.

One game I never ended up getting was Return to Castle Wolfenstein, because the damn thing NEVER went on sale.  I saw it a full YEAR after release selling at $50; it was insane.  

I can probably get it now, but I already have tons of older games anyway, so there is no rush.  Its just amusing how Activision's need to sell it for full price meant I never purchased it.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 11:17:59 AM »

I generally refuse to go higher than $39.99 on a new game.  The only game for which I've paid more in the past few years is Doom 3, and I totally felt burned on that one.  If I'm not virtually guaranteed to get a top-notch experience that lasts an above-average time, I wait for $39.99 or less.  

MMOGs are a different beast; I haven't really gotten into any yet, but the fact that one has to pay full retail price and a monthly fee bends my noodle.  Granted there are costs involved in developing the game like any other, plus ongoing costs to maintain and expand online capacity.  So perhaps it's justified, but I still don't like it.  

That said, UT2004 would have been a steal at $99.99.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 12:07:10 PM »

I thought for sure this thread was gonna reference this CNN article: Video game prices rising and its associated hubbub raising thread over at QT3.com  hubbub.

You've gotta think that someone is out there doing surveys on how much people are willing to pay for games - on the one hand it SEEMS like game prices haven't gone up much in the past 10 or 20 years. On the other hand, for most people, computer/video games are certainly a luxury item so is the demand elastic enough that raising the price is a bad idea? I sure don't know, but to see people here - on what I'd consider a "hard core gaming site" say stuff like "I won't pay more than X for a game" - does not bode well for the pricing power of the gaming manufacturers.

I wouldn't be surprised if there eventually was a multi-tiered pricing approach to games. Heck, there already ARE multiple tiers in play already - right now there's "most" games and there's the "Deer Hunter" type of games (by which I mean "games which try to appeal to the typical Wal-Mart shopper) which I would guess, have to sell for <$20. Now there's not a lot of console action at that price point (the ESPN games and Katamari Damacy being some notable counter examples, and KD is not what I'd call.... mainstream), but I would not be shocked to see a "higher tier" evolve - and perhaps it is on the way here, what with the proliferation of "collector editions" for most PC games. When you start seeing "Collector Editions" for console games, well, then you should look out. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »

This is a really nice and interesting question. Everyone has given a good opinion, but here is mine: Look at what EA Games did with NBA Live 2005, they released it 1 week earlier and $15 cheaper to compete agains ESPN NBA for $20 coming one week later. You guys might think "Games this cheap wont give enough earnings to the developers/publishers." . But if you come to think about it they might earn more with cheaper games than with high priced games. For example: Say ESPN games aren't that good, or dont have that good of a reputation.  People wont risk throwing out $50 for a game that they dont know if it is going to be good or not, but they will instead go with EA Games or something, which they are sure will give them enough fun. There will still be people that will buy it offcourse, say 200,000 people buy it at $50 (if it were at $50, the ESPN one). But if it is at $20 people would risk themselves and say "Heck the game looks neat, and it is only $20." They buy it, it turns out to be great, word spreads, and around 500,000 or more people buy it at $20. At what price do you think they are going to make more money? With that example they would have gotten the same, but wouldnt have given that much fun to the same amount of people. Which is, afterall, their goal: give hours of fun to gamers. But either way, if the price tag is lower more people will buy it, in the long run making them get more money than if it had a higher price.

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: