http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:31:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risen:Could it be a surprise hit?  (Read 2480 times)
marcusjm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:58:14 PM »

I have skipped most trailers on the Marketplace but now that the Danish/Swedish Fragzone gave
it 4 out of 5 I wonder if this could be a good alternative while waiting for Dragon Age?

Plus points were Game World, Playability, Variation, Voice overs, Missions.
Negatives: Combat System.

From what I understand this is the same team as Gothic, maybe this is the same awkward combat system?

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »

Assuming you are referring to the console version, it isn't do out in NA until first quarter next year.  Europe gets it now though. 
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »

I should have added that this was the PC version they reviewed but still. These guys aren't exactly
known for releasing bug-free games so that alone seems revolutionary smile.

A Gothic type game on console without bugs sounds promising smile.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »

i thought this was out soon, weird

to me this one looked like a poor mans fable (i wasnt a huge fable 2 fan, so i dont think ill pick this up.  though i did like 2 worlds - go figure?)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

Considering their history with bugs and that this is their first console game I'll just say I won't touch that version with a 10 foot pole. I'll be playing the PC version tomrrow night though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »

Doopri, you probably thought it was out soon, because most sites are reporting Oct. 2 as the release day (but my money is on Kevin, lol.)

Piranha Bytes, developer of the first three Gothic games, has announced that its RPG Risen will rise October 2 on PC and Xbox 360, with heavy testing now underway.

Could be that the "heavy testing" didn't go so well...  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »

From my understanding, Risen for the console was primarily pushed back to increase revenue in the early part of next year, and to also avoid having the title getting lost among the holiday rush. Gothic and its development house are basically an unknown entity on the console side, so it was deemed to have no chance against the avalanche of heavyweights due out in the next 4-6 weeks.

More time for bug stomping is just an added benefit. And so far, it is a damned fine game.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:11:20 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »

From the devs:

Update for the X360 version of Risen in the USA
Dear fans,

We've released a press announcement yesterday evening with the information that the Xbox 360 version of Risen for the USA will be delayed. First I would like to add that this is a purely strategic decision since we do have a RTM* [Ready to Manufacture] certificate from Microsoft USA and Microsoft Europe for Risen, and secondly I would like to point out that this will of course not affect the release of the PC version or any other market outside of the USA. The US market is currently very volatile because of the financial crisis and it certainly hit the retailers to a degree where they have to take decisions which we do not want to support for our product. So we decided to delay the release until 2010 since we believe that time will heal the wounds. I know that this will cause some grief for all those fans who eagerly awaited the game for their console in October, but we would like to do a proper launch without all the interference of the market and I'm sorry for diappointments caused. In the meantime please consider taking a look at the PC version if you can't wait to expirience Risen.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 01, 2009, 08:09:37 PM

From my understanding, Risen for the console was primarily pushed back to increase revenue in the early part of next year, and to also avoid having the title getting lost among the holiday rush. Gothic and its development house are basically an unknown entity on the console side, so it was deemed to have no chance against the avalanche of heavyweights due out in the next 4-6 weeks.

More time for bug stomping is just an added benefit. And so far, it is a damned fine game.

I agree on the bug stomping, I've played my fair share of buggy games, and I'd love it if they would keep working on that during the delay.  They seem to be saying (officially) that it's only due to revenue issues and the glut of games in the next 4-6 weeks. 

There's a hitch in that argument, though;  that 4-6 week time period doesn't even touch December...  have they never heard of Christmas?  Most North Americans spend more in December than in January, so I'm still wondering what the whole story is.  Even my Jewish friends have caved and now give nice gifts at Hanukkah - not like in Lewis Black's day (he does a riotously funny routine about his Christian friends getting loads of loot, and all he got was a dreidel.) 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »

Doopri, you probably thought it was out soon, because most sites are reporting Oct. 2 as the release day (but my money is on Kevin, lol.)

ah yup thanks myto that does sound more familiar.

and like you, my money is also most certainly on kevin!  (and yup, theres that announcement a couple posts above)

and what the hell just to lump in the "delayed" announcements in one thread - ANOTHER rpg, this one being a game i WAS excited for, was delayed frown  alpha protocol, 'til we meet again
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

But maybe some of their previous problems could be explained by Jowood? The worst publisher track record known to man, well pretty shit anyway smile.

Only drawback for me, Dragon Age is out soon and Bioware is after all the king of CRPG as far as I am concerned.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »

Norwegians liked it (at Gamer.no), gave it 9/10, calling it one of the best RPGs ever:
http://gamer.no/article.php?articleId=22472&page=3

xbox live: nude rick james
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »

Time to download videos then.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »

Stores get their Christmas stock starting in August.  Add in advertising, reviews and word of mouth, and December is generally too late for a release.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »

According to the reviews I've read, Risen is a very polished and bug-free product. Yes, they've found some minor glitches, but nothing near the scale of what we're used to from the Gothics.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »

I'm playing the US release on my PC (and have a few impressions in that forum).  It's about the most stable, bug-free game I've encountered in awhile.  It's pretty impressive, considering how bad most of the PB games tend to be at release.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

DEMO!!
(PC)

http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pages/en/news/news.php
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »

Hopefully the marketplace demo arrives soon as well.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

Okay, I'm back IN!   icon_razz

Next year, though, since I'm not a PC player... oh, well.   crybaby

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 01, 2009, 09:27:51 PM

Stores get their Christmas stock starting in August.  Add in advertising, reviews and word of mouth, and December is generally too late for a release.

Duh, that makes sense.  Can you tell I never worked in "retail?"   saywhat

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »

360 reviews:

Eurogamer 4/10
Realgamer 3/10

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 07:41:56 AM »

Not video game stock so that's irrelevant.  And nowdays most major retailers operate on a "just in time" inventory system where the shipments are timed to arrive when they need to put them on the sales floor, not months earlier which would require expensive warehousing space.  Advertisng may be a different matter, though even there with magazines declining in importance (and their lead times dropping) it's less important then in the past to plan really far ahead.

I think the issue here is that with a lot of games releasing in the fall there is a crunch for shelf space.  If a big retailer doesn't think a game will do well they may simply not order it, and a title like Risen from a developer and publisher with little or no US sales credibility isn't going to have an easy time getting a shelf committment from the big boys.  Even for the PC release it's not clear what brick and mortar places, if any, are even carrying Risen.  Best Buy, Frys, and Target don't even have the game listed on their websites.  Walmart is carrying it but as an online only title (at least as of now).  GameStop is carrying it, but most of their stores have little PC space.  So you can see where the publisher of Risen may have hoped to have better luck in the spring.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2009, 07:24:24 AM

Keep in mind that these two reviews seem to be written by people with no real relation to the Gothic series. Particularly the Realgamer review suffers from that. The 360 port also seems to be very shoddy, as the PC version doesn't suffer from most of the negatives presented in these reviews.

This segment from the Realgamer review is extremely damning for the reviewer:
The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers. With the performance issues, there is practically nothing to keep you playing beyond an urge to find out how much worse things can get.

Oh my, that man is going to get flamed to death today.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 02, 2009, 07:41:56 AM

Not video game stock so that's irrelevant.  And nowdays most major retailers operate on a "just in time" inventory system where the shipments are timed to arrive when they need to put them on the sales floor, not months earlier which would require expensive warehousing space.  Advertisng may be a different matter, though even there with magazines declining in importance (and their lead times dropping) it's less important then in the past to plan really far ahead.

Christmas video game stock is not made up of just new releases, so it's not irrelevant.  Thanks for the offhand dismissal, though. icon_razz  Additionally, space is always at a premium in most video game retailers, and at Christmas time, when the back room is filled to the brim with games and those chunky console boxes, the more they can get out early, the better.  Starting in August/September, retailers are inundated with product to the point where it is difficult to navigate the back rooms.  Starting in November, they get inundated with shoppers to the point where there isn't time to properly shelve new releases.  Any publisher who wants their game to get attention and look half-way decent on a retailer's shelf, had damn-well better get that game out before December.

Also, your "just in time" system, often doesn't apply to AAA releases, which are frequently sitting in those back rooms with bright orange stickers on them saying, "DO NOT SELL BEFORE XXDATE," waiting for every store to get them in stock for a nice, big simltaneous release.  See if you can guess when so many of those AAA titles are released.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »

I also heard that the 360 'port' was a piece of junk compared to the PC version. Go figure.

EDIT: The reviewers are tearing apart Eurogamer's review as well, stating that he didn't read the manual, explaining that no, you can do things like this (and telling how), etc etc. Ouch. And they also say that they needed to review the 360 and PC games separately, as things like say the controls are totally different between the two versions.

EDIT2: Here's one of the comments showing the differences between the PC and 360 versions. It's spoilered, as it's long.

Spoiler for Hiden:
disappointing review, mr whitehead, but let's take things one by one here.
first, there should have been separate reviews for the xbox and pc versions, since they're NOT the same.
most other problems with the review stem from here, but some seem to point out that you haven't really understood some things about the game, therefore you didn't play it as it was meant to be played.

"movement is jerky and imprecise while the camera's twitchy lurching responses lead to motion sickness" - not on pc

"combat is basic and graceless, a simple matter of bashing the A button" - wrong, if you just mash the attack button, you die. you need to dodge, parry and generally time your actions quite well if you don't want to get killed before managing to get even a couple of hits in your enemy. upgrading the various weapon skills unlocks a lot more combat moves, allows you to perform combos, etc. i really can't imagine how anyone could get through the game by just mashing attack, perhaps on easy.

"There's absolutely nothing to tell you what each menu button is for, or even how to perform basic functions like equipping items" - again, i don't know about the xbox version, but on the pc you CLICK an object and there you go, as if by magic, it suddenly equipped.

"Instead you have to press up to access the sprawling inventory in a different overlay...etc" - not on the pc. you press I to open the inventory, C to view the character screen, and you equip/use items with a simple click.

"there are no waypoints or fast travel." - there is fast travel, in form of teleport stones..

"Even more irritating, the vital function of finding a quest objective is buried under a sequence of menu navigations that must be performed every time you check the map." - no, you press L and a map of the local area is displayed and you and your objectives are all displayed. the map is even live, in the sense that you can move around while having it on screen and it shows all you need to know for you to be able to set a bee-line towards your desired objective. you have a quest journal and clicking on each quest will show its respective objectives on the map.

about leveling, i found it rewarding. after finding a trainer and spending some learning points and gold, there is a difference. you are actually STRONGER (if you spend points in strength, that is), etc. enemies that you had to run from before now become beatable, etc.

"game looks absolutely terrible" - the character models have little detail, yes. everything else looks gorgeous (can't speak for the xbox version, of course). the game also runs great, with everything maxed, on my 8800gt + a 2.3ghz dualcore.

"distance that fills in the horizon with jagged diagonal chunks" - the draw distance is customizable and there are NO "jagged diagonal chunks".

"reloading a previous save can take up to 30 seconds" - it's 10 seconds on the pc.

this was a poor effort on your part, mr whitehead and shame on eurogamer for being scroungy enough not to allow for 2 different reviews, one for each platform, especially in such a case, where the versions they seem to be nothing alike. very disappointing and, a bit shameful to review the worst version and give the game the same score for both platforms, without caring for the fact that most of the problems you mention don't have anything to do with the pc version.

as far as i'm concerned, this is one of the most addictive rpgs i've played in a long while.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:58:45 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »

From what I've read, content-wise the 360 version is just fine and nearly identical to the PC version.  However evidently it's extremely shoddy on a technical level, drawing comparisons to Xbox 1 level quality graphics. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 02:58:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 02, 2009, 08:20:42 AM

This segment from the Realgamer review is extremely damning for the reviewer:
The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers. With the performance issues, there is practically nothing to keep you playing beyond an urge to find out how much worse things can get.

Oh my, that man is going to get flamed to death today.

in the PC demo I did get a pretty good sense of deja vu when the game starts with you crawling out of the water, then came across the second NPC you encounter (Jan I think), where he says something akin to 'we live freely at our camp in the swamp' (wonder if they're worshipping anything this time), decribes the harbor town with the paladinsinquisition, the mages and then proceeds to whip out a doobie after I'm done talking with him.  I know I'm going to like the game, but damn, if feels like they're restarting the Gothic series all over again.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 04:24:48 PM »

Yeah, it's a carbon copy of Gothic 2. However, the reviewer from Realgamer seems to think Risen copies Fable, Monster Hunter and The Elder Scrolls. It's as if he's trying to be an internet troll on purpose.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 02, 2009, 04:24:48 PM

Yeah, it's a carbon copy of Gothic 2. However, the reviewer from Realgamer seems to think Risen copies Fable, Monster Hunter and The Elder Scrolls. It's as if he's trying to be an internet troll on purpose.

well, they do have swords and chests and monsters... OMG he's right!  icon_wink

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 02, 2009, 04:24:48 PM

Isn't this just a classic example of console reviewer myopia (ie utter ignorance of the PC gaming market)?  I recall similar examples with some console reviews of Fallout 3 and Bioshock- reviewers completely in the dark about what their forerunners brought to the table. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »

Wow!  icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »

eek

make that a 20 foot pole...

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »

I smell debacle.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »

Both screenshots don't look that great to me.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »

Why even release a console version if it's going to look like that?  In a market where there are a lot of good games coming out, why risk damaging the brand by releasing such an inferior port?  I loved the first 2 gothics, but man, I wouldn't go anywhere near that console version.

PC version looks good though.  I thought my Swamp Jedi was from Gothic 1, not Gothic 2.  At least that's what I remember.  He was an awesome character.  Using the force to kill baddies, and then returning back to camp to hang out with his stoner buddies.    
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 02, 2009, 06:15:34 PM

you have to see the PC version in action to get the full effect.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 02, 2009, 05:37:21 PM

Wow!  icon_lol

you are kidding, right? This cant be right...how on earth.....

Sigh...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »

apparently the console version was outsourced.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »

ugh, that is bad.  with the way that oblivion and fallout 3 looked, even two worlds for that matter, i can't believe how ugly that screen looks on console.  they hacked most of the detail right out of it.  maybe they can salvage it in the next few months they've delayed, but damn, i think i'll just wait to grab the pc version.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 02, 2009, 07:58:22 PM

ugh, that is bad.  with the way that oblivion and fallout 3 looked, even two worlds for that matter, i can't believe how ugly that screen looks on console.  they hacked most of the detail right out of it.  maybe they can salvage it in the next few months they've delayed, but damn, i think i'll just wait to grab the pc version.

I doubt they will make any changes- they already have a certification from MS for the US release so they would have to go through the certification process again if they modify it. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2009, 07:16:28 PM

Quote from: KePoW on October 02, 2009, 06:15:34 PM

you have to see the PC version in action to get the full effect.

Agreed. The PC version with everything on looks amazing. And I just saw my first sunset - holy fuck.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: