http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 01:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risen from Pirhana Bytes  (Read 18605 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »

Agreed - I didn't find squat for axes during my journey. You can't craft them either - at least you can make a pretty decent normal, bastard, and two-handed sword as a craftsman. No option there for axes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2009, 04:25:34 AM »

now that I think about it I don't think I found any decent staffs yet either other than one that does 50 damage.  I never looked at bows or crossbows, but considering how much damage some of the later creatures can take even with an 80 damage sword I'd hate to be stuck back at 50.  I'm kinda hoping someone puts together a list of all the weapons to see what would be best to go with on another playthrough.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2009, 10:20:56 AM »

finished up the game tonight.  I found the final fight to be a bit... gimmicky.. compared to the rest of the game, and it didn't feel like it really fit.  overall I had a blast, although things started wearing on me towards the end.

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2009, 01:31:18 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2009, 10:44:45 PM

The biggest problem I had with axes was that I didn't find a single magical axe until chapter 4, while I found tons of good swords. So unless you know a good source of axes or can make them yourself, be prepared to use an old, rusty weapon for a while. Keep in mind that I went mage, so I didn't exactly go looking for axes.

In Chapter 3, you can buy a 96 damage hammer from the bandit smith.  IIRC, in Chapter 2, you can buy a 80 damage axe from him.

You don't find axes or hammers as loot (apart from the Titan Axe and the endgame one) and neither can you smith them, which is weird, but you can buy them.  And the 96 damage hammer is more damaging than any sword you can find at that point, by quite a bit (the next best is the berserker sword, which you can find (if you can fight mobs of ghouls) and is 80 damage).
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »

The game's itemization is a bit screwed up, really - you find a gazillion swords but no good axes, staves, bows or crossbows. Axes are the best weapon but you only buy them from one vendor as you progress through chapters. Except for the end game axe, which you use for pretty much only one fight. Not really exciting.

Armor and helms are boring as well. Lots of missed opportunities there.

Excellent game otherwise though.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2009, 10:20:56 AM

finished up the game tonight.  I found the final fight to be a bit... gimmicky.. compared to the rest of the game, and it didn't feel like it really fit.  overall I had a blast, although things started wearing on me towards the end.

Yeah. I'm feeling the slog now. In Chap 4, 2/5 temples cleared and I'm not sure I'm going to even finish now based on what I'm hearing....
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 19, 2009, 01:12:42 PM

Yeah. I'm feeling the slog now. In Chap 4, 2/5 temples cleared and I'm not sure I'm going to even finish now based on what I'm hearing....

It's worth finishing. You're practically right at the end game - take the hour or three needed to finish it.

Oh, and blow all your money on potions/scrolls if you haven't already or need them. As I said - there isn't much game left.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 19, 2009, 02:04:02 PM

Quote from: Jag on October 19, 2009, 01:12:42 PM

It's worth finishing. You're practically right at the end game - take the hour or three needed to finish it.

Oh, and blow all your money on potions/scrolls if you haven't already or need them. As I said - there isn't much game left.

yeah, not all the temples are the same length.  I found one to be pretty short and another to be a bit too long, with the other 3 falling in between.  by the time it was done though I was sick of Elite and Undead lizards.

I do wish they had let you run around after the end though, since

Spoiler for Hiden:
you have this kick ass armor/weapon that will probably be stripped away from you in the first 5 minutes of the sequel if there is one.  by the time I got it pretty much every enemy creature was dead, and having the open world with respawning enemies after all is said and done would have been fun.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2009, 02:27:39 PM

I do wish they had let you run around after the end though, since

Spoiler for Hiden:
you have this kick ass armor/weapon that will probably be stripped away from you in the first 5 minutes of the sequel if there is one.  by the time I got it pretty much every enemy creature was dead, and having the open world with respawning enemies after all is said and done would have been fun.

There's nothing forcing you to move forward once you get all the stuff though, no? I thought you could still turn around before the end sequence.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2009, 07:07:17 PM »

There's nothing forcing you, but like I said, at that time u had 2 things left to kill. It was like getting the keys to James Bonds Aston Martin and only being given a gallon of gas.

Because I can,
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »

I should finish it, but if all i'm doing is getting armor and a lackluster ending, I may just leave the game on a high note.

I'm already frustrated that I'm stuck in the second temple (by the waterfall) so this may be the spot to stop.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2009, 07:07:17 PM

There's nothing forcing you, but like I said, at that time u had 2 things left to kill. It was like getting the keys to James Bonds Aston Martin and only being given a gallon of gas.

Slaughtering townspeople would be fun, no? biggrin

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2009, 12:37:21 AM »

I just finished the game and, like others have said, the latter stages and final fight were disappointing to say the least.  I think the big mistake they made was that just as the story begin to get some momentum they stalled it with the final multi-dungeon quest line.  Some of those dugeons were interesting, but it felt like something that should have occurred earlier in the story and not right at the end like that.

The final fight is also pretty bad.  I'm tempted to compare it to Half-Life's ending in it's jarring stupidity.  It doesn't help that if you quicksave the reload resets the bad guy in terms of how much damage you need to do.  Very annoying.

As a result Risen is a hard game to judge at this moment for me.  I loved the atmosphere created on the island and thought they did a great job of keeping things interesting and fun in the first half of the game.  Too bad they wrapped it up so poorly.  I find I have no real interest in the story continuation they hinted of at the end.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »

I don't know why people are disappointed in all the ending dungeons. The whole game I was waiting for some meaty dungeons with a few puzzles and traps and that is exactly what the last quarter of the game was all about. I certainly didn't want another wilderness area at that point or some respawns that I needed to track down.

I agree about the final boss encounter. It was too gimicky. I would have preferred a more traditional fight but with a lot of scripted changes throughout the fight. But hey, in the end, the final boss was about 5 minutes out of a great 45 hours of gameplay so it didn't take long to get over it.
Leviathan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 20, 2009, 12:37:21 AM

The final fight is also pretty bad.  I'm tempted to compare it to Half-Life's ending in it's jarring stupidity.  It doesn't help that if you quicksave the reload resets the bad guy in terms of how much damage you need to do.  Very annoying.

As a result Risen is a hard game to judge at this moment for me.  I loved the atmosphere created on the island and thought they did a great job of keeping things interesting and fun in the first half of the game.  Too bad they wrapped it up so poorly.  I find I have no real interest in the story continuation they hinted of at the end.
Yeah add me too as somebody who didn't appreciate the dance dance revolution ending.

And while I loved most of the game, here's another RPG where the economy is just busted. I'm carrying around 10k gold at the end with 99 mana potions and nothing really interesting to buy....

A good game but for some reason it didn't quite have the same emotional pull as the Gothic series.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

I wish there was more to the final boss fight than what there was but by the time I got to that point I was pretty satisfied with the game so was fine with it ending. I ended up at L28 with 12k gold and 10 learning points I couldn't decide what to use with. I was a battle-mage with L7 sword skill and L10 frost skill.

Skills I found most useful:

- lockpicking
- sneak
- alchemy (for + stat potion)
- pickpocket (L2 worked well)
- smithing (for later in the game when working with obsidian)

I didn't find much use for scroll or rune casting even though I maxed both those.

Great game overall. I went ahead and installed Gothic 2 Gold as lot of people seem to be comparing this one to that. Hopefully I can get past the horrid controls this time.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2009, 07:15:30 AM »

Quote from: Aganazer on October 20, 2009, 12:38:58 PM

I don't know why people are disappointed in all the ending dungeons. The whole game I was waiting for some meaty dungeons with a few puzzles and traps and that is exactly what the last quarter of the game was all about. I certainly didn't want another wilderness area at that point or some respawns that I needed to track down.

SPOILERS COMING!

My problem wasn't with the dungeons per se, it was where they were positioned in the story.  You get to the point where you open up the mountain, and then the player is asked two times in a row to do the same thing - find a way in while the Inquisitor and his crew hang out.  Then you get to the stuff with Usegor, which I thought was well done, but instead of advancing the plot you have to go find the five pieces of gear you need to face the final boss.  To me it brought the story to a complete stop to go do that.  From a story structure standpoint it would have made more sense to handle things differently.

Or to put it another way, "Holy crap, the Inquistitor is in their with the Titan and we could all die at any minute unless he's stopped!  Oh, and you need to go get some gear that's scattered around the island but you can take your time.  Don't worry, nothing will happen while you are out."

Roll Eyes

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 21, 2009, 07:15:30 AM

Or to put it another way, "Holy crap, the Inquistitor is in their with the Titan and we could all die at any minute unless he's stopped!  Oh, and you need to go get some gear that's scattered around the island but you can take your time.  Don't worry, nothing will happen while you are out."

Roll Eyes

Spoiler for Hiden:
I see what you mean. I was almost expecting some sense of urgency there as well. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! The typical stuff. But then again... considering that by that point I wasn't resting anymore but rather drinking pots all the time, the entire chapter probably lasted me about 24 hours of game time instead of the weeks that previous chapters lasted. How long does it take to tame a titan? The inquisitor was in such a rush up to that point, maybe he decided to take a nap first.  icon_biggrin

EDIT: This post has been TiLT'd for your safety.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:01:16 PM by Aganazer » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »

The two of you could perhaps consider using the spoiler tag, hmm? That's why it's there.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »

Ok I had been avoiding reading too much of the threads about this game so as to not spoil anything....

Spoiler for Hiden:
WTF is up with the ending.  I now have to perform jumping puzzles, and I can't tell if I am hitting the Titan...yeah pretty much have loved the game so far, and now I am likely not going to finish because of this stupid bullshit boss fight.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2009, 07:04:10 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 25, 2009, 06:49:54 PM

Ok I had been avoiding reading too much of the threads about this game so as to not spoil anything....

Spoiler for Hiden:
WTF is up with the ending.  I now have to perform jumping puzzles, and I can't tell if I am hitting the Titan...yeah pretty much have loved the game so far, and now I am likely not going to finish because of this stupid bullshit boss fight.

on the final boss:

Spoiler for Hiden:
you can only damage him after you've successfully reflected one of his magic missile shots back at him and he goes into a crouched position.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »

Don't quit when you've got to the final boss. Compared to the rest of the game, it's very easy to do. Watch a YouTube video of it if you want reassurance. I have to say I agree that it's an annoying fight since they don't give you any feedback about whether what you're doing is helping or not. I struggled with that battle for a while before I gave up and went to YouTube. Before I saw someone else playing it I had no idea what I did that was wrong and what was right.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2009, 04:03:55 AM »

high res texture pack released

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/mods/risen/mod.html#id33603
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »

Rise up dead Risen Thread.  icon_twisted

Just got into this game this week and damn is it good. If you liked Gothic 1 and 2 at all then you should definitely buy Risen. It reminds me a lot of Gothic 2, but with prettier graphics and a better inventory system. Basically the game is what Gothic 3 and 4 should have been.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »

Shameless thread bump, because I'm about half way through this now and it's still really good. I alligned with the Don and am playing as a Hunter/fighter. The shield and sword combo is pretty sweet. I know I'm going to have to replay this as a mage, since they can actually use blade staffs efectively at close range.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

After finishing Divinity 2, I've been itching for something in a similar vein.  This looks pretty cool, might grab it off Steam this afternoon.

Did anyone try the 360 version?  It's about $15 cheaper and playing on my big screen is somewhat appealing.  Don't want to go that route if it's gimped though.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 21, 2011, 02:25:29 PM

Don't want to go that route if it's gimped though.

It's gimped. Go with the PC version.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 21, 2011, 03:31:57 PM

Yes I have heard the same thing. Believe me it's easily worth $30 if you like the first 2 Gothic games.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 21, 2011, 04:36:45 PM

Quote from: TiLT on January 21, 2011, 03:31:57 PM

Yes I have heard the same thing. Believe me it's easily worth $30 if you like the first 2 Gothic games.

Actually, I didn't really care for the Gothic games.  To be fair though, I never gave them more than a cursory shot.  However, what I've read about Risen certainly piques my interest.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2011, 05:25:17 PM »

I never really played the first two Gothic games.  However, Gothic 3 would have been a classic for me if not for the stupid stunlocks in combat and the insanely long load/save times.  Is Risen for me too?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 21, 2011, 05:25:17 PM

I never really played the first two Gothic games.  However, Gothic 3 would have been a classic for me if not for the stupid stunlocks in combat and the insanely long load/save times.  Is Risen for me too?

There aren't really stun locks in combat in Risen. If you block an incoming hit without being fully ready you can get knocked back a bit, but you don't really get stunned. Also the only time the game loads is when you first fire it up and when you teleport, so I haven't really noticed bad load times.

If you liked Gothic 3 then I don't see why you wouldn't like Risen. After all it is a similar but superior game. It has an open world design, you get to choose which faction to join, and best of all there are no Orc infested villages to liberate.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 21, 2011, 06:18:03 PM

There aren't really stun locks in combat in Risen. If you block an incoming hit without being fully ready you can get knocked back a bit, but you don't really get stunned. Also the only time the game loads is when you first fire it up and when you teleport, so I haven't really noticed bad load times.

If you liked Gothic 3 then I don't see why you wouldn't like Risen. After all it is a similar but superior game. It has an open world design, you get to choose which faction to join, and best of all there are no Orc infested villages to liberate.

I think saying Risen is open world is a bit of a fallacy.  The game is very much on rails, despite allowing you to make a few decisions.  I enjoyed the game up until the final boss, then quit out of frustration because the final battle was completely different from the rest of the game.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys.  I'll most likely pick it up at some point.

The save/load times in Gothic 3 were a pain in the arse for me because of the stun-lock combat; all too often I'd either die or ragequit, and had to wait ages to load my save.  When that's happening several times in a session it really bums me out.  It's one of the reasons I stopped playing Far Cry 2 on the 360.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 21, 2011, 07:38:18 PM

I think saying Risen is open world is a bit of a fallacy.  The game is very much on rails, despite allowing you to make a few decisions.  I enjoyed the game up until the final boss, then quit out of frustration because the final battle was completely different from the rest of the game.
I to raged at the last boss. God I hate and will never understand why dev's do that. It was very easy to Google to find out how to beat it though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on January 21, 2011, 09:12:02 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 21, 2011, 07:38:18 PM

I to raged at the last boss. God I hate and will never understand why dev's do that. It was very easy to Google to find out how to beat it though.

yeah, the final boss fight was a big 'wtf?' moment but I don't remember it being hard.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 21, 2011, 09:21:34 PM

yeah, the final boss fight was a big 'wtf?' moment but I don't remember it being hard.

It wasn't hard once you understood what you had to do. The problem was:

1) Everything you had done or learned to that point in the game was no longer necessary. You had to learn something completely different for this one fight. Your choice of class was ignored.
2) There was little to no visual or audio feedback. For my first few tries I mostly struggled with not knowing whether or not my strategy was working, since I couldn't tell if the boss was taking damage.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »

I watched videos on YouTube on how to win the battle, but after 20 or so tries I gave up.  I am just not much of a twitch gamer anymore..thus why I like playing RPGs usually, because it isn't about my skill with mouse and keyboard, it it about how I build my character, and my characters skills.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »

I can understand that. I hate twitch anything. Makes fps's annoying because of the boss battles.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 30, 2011, 07:16:05 AM »

How do I find the manual for Risen since I bought it on STEAM. I've never needed a manual for a STEAM game before and have no idea where to find them. It seems STEAM falls behind GOG in this area. With GOG all you do is click on your game and then choose download manual smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on January 21, 2011, 11:28:49 PM

I can understand that. I hate twitch anything. Makes fps's annoying because of the boss battles.
twitch in an FPS is understandable.  In a RPG it's not.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: