http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:06:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risen from Pirhana Bytes  (Read 18741 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

There! Finally completed the game. It was a long ride, and in the end I was ready for it to be over. The three first chapters are great, while the fourth feels like it drags because I had already pretty much maxed out my character by then. All I had left to upgrade that might be useful to me was my mana capacity, and that doesn't really make much of a difference for individual battles. I was level 27 in the end.

Great game! smile

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2009, 06:50:15 PM

Quote from: Jag on October 10, 2009, 04:51:00 PM

I'm almost done with the Town. I came from the Monastery and met with the Commandant but did not say "I want to join the Order" How do I go Mage?

in my game Pallas at the Monastery asked some questions and IIRC that was when I got to choose.

even though I'm playing a mage I'm leveling up the sword to level 6 so I can use bastard swords one handed so I have an effective sword/shield combo for the beasties that come in low.

I screwed up the questions and got Warrior. I went to reload and messed up a save (NEVER play an RPG after 4 glasses of wine).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 11, 2009, 11:53:45 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2009, 06:50:15 PM

Quote from: Jag on October 10, 2009, 04:51:00 PM

I'm almost done with the Town. I came from the Monastery and met with the Commandant but did not say "I want to join the Order" How do I go Mage?

in my game Pallas at the Monastery asked some questions and IIRC that was when I got to choose.

even though I'm playing a mage I'm leveling up the sword to level 6 so I can use bastard swords one handed so I have an effective sword/shield combo for the beasties that come in low.

I screwed up the questions and got Warrior. I went to reload and messed up a save (NEVER play an RPG after 4 glasses of wine).

that's why I re-mapped the save/load keus.  f8/f9 are way too close together for those purposes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »

I cycle between 4 saves (along with the game auto-saving). Makes sure I always have something a bit back if the shit truly hits the fan.

On the flip side, I'm like level 17 now during Chapter 2 (and it looks like I'll be able to move into the next one shortly), and mobs either kill me outright (because I have no defense and they just blow through my shield block) or they're one-sided fights (heavily in my favor, even if some of them deal lots of damage). And the mobs that do kill me have GOBS of HP. I can win if they never, ever hit me (because they'll kill my 300HP self in 2 hits), but with enough time (and power swings) I'll drop them.

Kinda annoying, actually.

The game is still lots of fun, and I love the combat. And I'm still finding lots of things off the beaten path. I just wonder how much 'more powerful' I can become at this point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:16:16 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »

hmm.. apparently if you bought the Steam version you don't need Steam to be up and running if you make a shortcut directly to the risen.exe.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2009, 06:25:44 PM

hmm.. apparently if you bought the Steam version you don't need Steam to be up and running if you make a shortcut directly to the risen.exe.

That's how my wife and I our playing it at the same time. Just running it from the .exe.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2009, 03:08:34 AM »

I just noticed a PhysX re-distributable in the game folders while seeing if they included the manual- is the game actually PhysX enabled?  there's no option in the menus and I haven't noticed anything in game that suggests it's working.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2009, 06:37:27 AM »

found the open lock rune.  it's a level 3 rune, 30 mana to cast.  can't use it yet as I'm only at 110 wisdom.  it's

Spoiler for Hiden:
in the underground ruins where the Gyrger is.  he's nasty- his club has 100 damage listed.

I also found 2 rings that give +1 to sword each- all I need is a better sword (something more powerful than Arics) that gives me +1 to sword and I'll have it maxed out.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2009, 06:51:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2009, 06:37:27 AM

I also found 2 rings that give +1 to sword each- all I need is a better sword (something more powerful than Arics) that gives me +1 to sword and I'll have it maxed out.

I never found any other swords that gave bonuses to the skill, so don't count on it. I was extremely thorough in my exploration too, going into every single cave I could find and more or less exterminating every hostile creature on the island, as well as completing nearly every quest.

I was pretty glad to have the Open Lock rune in the end, despite having rank 2 in the skill. About half the chests you find in chapter 4 are locked and need rank 3 to open, and the lockpicking system is FUBAR anyway. I mean, what were they thinking? There's no skill involved, so they might as well have gone with random chance. The way it's now is just annoying and I found myself using the rune instead of the skill even for chests I could pick manually.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 12, 2009, 06:51:14 AM

I never found any other swords that gave bonuses to the skill, so don't count on it. I was extremely thorough in my exploration too, going into every single cave I could find and more or less exterminating every hostile creature on the island, as well as completing nearly every quest.

I was pretty glad to have the Open Lock rune in the end, despite having rank 2 in the skill. About half the chests you find in chapter 4 are locked and need rank 3 to open, and the lockpicking system is FUBAR anyway. I mean, what were they thinking? There's no skill involved, so they might as well have gone with random chance. The way it's now is just annoying and I found myself using the rune instead of the skill even for chests I could pick manually.

I bought some Open Lock scrolls, but it wasn't able to open any of the chests that I dug up/found. I guess there is a limit to the open lock scrolls.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, where is Gryger? Is he in the caves that say East Coast?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »

For anyone having the 'Invert Y-Axis' issue where it doesn't really stick:

Dear Customer,

The adjustable Function "To invert Y-Axis can unfortunately not be saved and has to be re-adjusted with each new Start of the Game". The issue is known to us and will be fixed with the next patch. At this point in time we do not have a Reease date for this Patch. We would appreciate your patience and thank you for understanding.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 12, 2009, 01:06:14 PM

I bought some Open Lock scrolls, but it wasn't able to open any of the chests that I dug up/found. I guess there is a limit to the open lock scrolls.

Those particular chests are quest related and can't be opened until the plot tells you to.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

I finished last night with about 45 hours of total gameplay on that save game. I'd imagine it was well over 50 hours with all the reloads. That alone is amazing in an age of games that typically last for under 20 hours. It never felt repetitive or grindy either.

It got a little slow for about an hour during chapter four, but quickly picked back up and was awesome again in no time. The late game content had a few dialog bugs, but not enough to really bother me although it really stands out when there isn't voice for a few lines of dialog. The only thing that bothered me at all about the game is that all that great british tough guy humor from the initial visit to the rebel camp and harbor town was gone after chapter 1. The content was still good and the dialog didn't suck or anything, but it wasn't quite as cool as the beginning of the game.

I still think the game tops my old favorite RPGs and is now my favorite RPG ever made. I liked it so much that immediately after finishing I started a new game. Now I'll join a different faction, choose a different skill set, and spoil myself with all the secrets that I now know.

I really hope they make an expansion that polishes up the existing game and adds some new stuff. Some smithing options for archery and staffs would be great. Fletching would be a nice crafting skill. Some more Dexterity based swords would flesh out the weaponry.

The Nautilus Shell was a great new dungeoning tool. Its something that I hope we see in more RPG's. I wonder how many years I'll have to wait before I see all the great dungeoning tools in one game. Take all the listen, sneak, traps, disarm, and detect abilities from a game like D&D Online then throw in the telekinesis puzzles, levitation, and Nautilus Shell from Risen, then maybe get real crazy with some late game Portal-like powers and I'd be in gaming heaven.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

found the open lock rune.  it's a level 3 rune, 30 mana to cast.  can't use it yet as I'm only at 110 wisdom.  it's

Spoiler for Hiden:
in the underground ruins where the Gyrger is.  he's nasty- his club has 100 damage listed.

Aric's is the only sword I've seen that gives +1 to sword (and I think I've seen every sword in the game...).  But Level 10 sword is pretty worthless, as it lets you extend combos...but using extended combos in general will get you killed, as you need to fight smarter than that usually.

Quote from: Aganazer
The Nautilus Shell was a great new dungeoning tool

It really is.  And what's funny is that if you wander too close to monsters in Nautilus form, they end up eating you as a snack lol.  Found that one out the hard way...
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »

My funniest moment so far was on the beach. I was poking around looking for stuff and wandered a little deeper into the surf...  icon_lol

(I won't spoil it)
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 12, 2009, 03:31:14 PM

My funniest moment so far was on the beach. I was poking around looking for stuff and wandered a little deeper into the surf...  icon_lol

(I won't spoil it)

Yeah that was a "holy shit!" moment.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 12, 2009, 01:06:14 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, where is Gryger? Is he in the caves that say East Coast?

The Gryger is

Spoiler for Hiden:
on an 'island' off the east coast that you need to cross a long rope bridge to get to.  right before the bridge there will be a man camping who tells you about the monster, and you can take him along with you if you want to.  I left him behind, luckily there were only 3 beasties on the island I had trouble with at level 15.

Because I can,
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »

Anyone took Prospecting or Smithing? Are they useful?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on October 12, 2009, 06:18:23 PM

Anyone took Prospecting or Smithing? Are they useful?

You can make some nice rings and decent swords if you go that way. And Prospecting at least is worth it even if you don't take Smithing just to sell the stuff.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »

I saw a +2 sword fighting in Harbor Town yesterday but it has a damage of 38, my bastard sword has a damage of 42 (I think), wonder if the +2 swords is worth the lower damage.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »

You can make a really nice sword with prospecting:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Take the first obsidian sword you get off of a lizard man to Walter in harbor town, he'll tell you how to make obsidian swords; the first sword you can make is a one-handed 50 damage sword at a reasonable STR (don't remember what though).  I think you later get to the point to make very very nasty obsidian two handed swords. 
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on October 12, 2009, 07:07:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Take the first obsidian sword you get off of a lizard man to Walter in harbor town, he'll tell you how to make obsidian swords; the first sword you can make is a one-handed 50 damage sword at a reasonable STR (don't remember what though).  I think you later get to the point to make very very nasty obsidian two handed swords. 

Hmm, I will have to look into that. I haven't run into any Lizard Man yet, but I just barely hit Chapter 2
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on October 12, 2009, 07:07:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You can make bastard and two-handed obsidian swords.  Also, you can use smithing to reforge the two legendary blades.  Neither of which is better than the obsidian two hander, though...
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

A quest question.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have gotten Patty outside harbor town and I know there is a further quest line with her but I haven't triggered been able to trigger it yet. Is it chapter dependent? I heard you get it from the Don's area. Is it from Finnegan? I taalked to him but nothing triggered.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 13, 2009, 05:23:55 PM

A quest question.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have gotten Patty outside harbor town and I know there is a further quest line with her but I haven't triggered been able to trigger it yet. Is it chapter dependent? I heard you get it from the Don's area. Is it from Finnegan? I taalked to him but nothing triggered.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yup, Patty is chapter dependent. Getting her out of Harbor town is as good as you can do in chapter 1.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 13, 2009, 05:23:55 PM

A quest question.
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
As far as I can tell, that quest line won't start until you talk to Patty in chapter 2. I don't think you need to talk to anyone else, though speaking to the pirate leader at the harbor makes the plot a bit more interesting.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »

Cool. I have to stop reading stuff. Still in Chapter one. I did all of the swamp qusts without reading any tips. I just got stuck on a couple small things in Harbor town and in trying to get unstuck discovered I had more to do with Patty. Then I got worried I had missed something.
Really enjoying the game. it's exciting trying to explore in a driving thunderstorm when sudden death may lurk around any corner. I'm enjoying all the quests as well. Can't believe some people have finished the game already.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »

hit level 18 last night, still in chapter 2.  I found the Beserker Sword, a two hander (which I can use one handed thanks to my rings) that does 80 damage.  at this point the only things I can't take on (that I've found) are groups of 3 or more ogres.  Ashbeasts are tough but as long as I do a couple of power swings then dodge backwards quickly I don't have issues.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

made it to Chapter 4 last night, and I was surprised at how short Chapter 3 was.  I have to say I was not shocked at all by the turn of events.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »

I'm most of the way through Chapter 4 right now (or at least I think I am). The 'endgame' has a very
Spoiler for Hiden:
Zelda-like (as I'm moving through and opening up ancient dungeons and exploring them for their contents and beating the crap out of the locals)
feel to it as you do what you need to do. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Problem is, I think the game is going to give me one hell of a choice at the end. What to do, what to do...

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »

Just to make sure, the consensus is the game is worth a purchase then?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2009, 11:52:50 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 16, 2009, 10:52:54 PM

nope, horrible game, don't get it.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2009, 01:55:02 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 16, 2009, 10:52:54 PM

Most definitely.

And I finished it last night. Tons of fun, and an interesting final area. I'm sure my final save clocked in at over 30 hours of gameplay, but I don't know the exact number without booting it up again. Well worth the time and effort. Great game.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2009, 05:52:08 AM »

Cool, I will pick it up then smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »

I found an awesome weapon last night, with 120 damage.  of course it would have to be an axe  disgust  there had better be at least one sword with that ammount of damage otherwise I'm going to be annoyed.  I did find another weapon that gives me +6 in axe though, but I can't use it without another quest item being completed.

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2009, 04:21:49 PM

I found an awesome weapon last night, with 120 damage.  of course it would have to be an axe  disgust  there had better be at least one sword with that ammount of damage otherwise I'm going to be annoyed.  I did find another weapon that gives me +6 in axe though, but I can't use it without another quest item being completed.

There isn't.  Highest damage sword is 100.

Looking back at the game, I think Axe is actually the skill to train.  At level 6, you can wield axes 1 handed, and level 8 you get a speed increase that makes them as fast as swords.  They have better str:damage ratios than swords, and higher damage overall, AND the trainer will train mages to level 10, so really, there's no point in going swords.  Unless you like the way they look, I guess.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »

The whole reason I went sword is because I found 2 +1 sword rings but no axe rings that I can remember.  Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get many more levels unless there's a lot more to do after the 5 tombs. The part that gets me is that I dumped all my LP into fireball right before I found the axe.

I kinda wish they made the game a little more open where you could play a fighter character and not worry about needing any magic spells, but I've come across bits where magic is pretty much required. Unless they tweak the game based on what faction you join....

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »

There are 2 +1 axe rings in the bandit camp area.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2009, 05:29:41 PM

I kinda wish they made the game a little more open where you could play a fighter character and not worry about needing any magic spells, but I've come across bits where magic is pretty much required. Unless they tweak the game based on what faction you join....

There's a reason why the 'staple' spells (Levitate, Telekenesis, and Nautilus) cost no mana to cast from scrolls - while the game usually provides scrolls near the areas where you'll need them, you do not want to be without access to those spells, especially in the late game. They're pretty much mandatory, and no, I don't see any way that the game can 'restructure' the dungeons to play them without access to magic.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2009, 10:44:45 PM »

The biggest problem I had with axes was that I didn't find a single magical axe until chapter 4, while I found tons of good swords. So unless you know a good source of axes or can make them yourself, be prepared to use an old, rusty weapon for a while. Keep in mind that I went mage, so I didn't exactly go looking for axes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: