http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 03:12:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risen from Pirhana Bytes  (Read 19225 times)
Aganazer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2009, 02:30:19 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 02:14:08 PM

oh, and I found the alchemist in the Monastery.  that indeed was a cool little puzzle to find him, and knowing there is an open spell makes me sad I spent 10 points on pick locks 1 & 2.

I dunno. I'm a mage and have still trained lockpicking to the second rank because I haven't found even a single Open Lock scroll, and least of all the rune. I have no idea where to find it, but I suspect it might not appear until later chapters (I'm in chapter 2).

Not to mention that your mana would be much better spent on other things. Even after I find the Open Lock rune it will be very rare to use it.

Levitate on the other hand can easily fill the niche uses of acrobatics. The acrobatics and sneak rings kind of nullify the purpose of either of those skills. I am kind of disappointed in that.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »

[/quote]

I ran into a graphic glitch last night where that guy had no head.  it was bizarre, but when I alt tabbed to get FRAPS up and running it came back.
[/quote]

I had this glitch on a character in Harbor town. Just eyeballs and teeth. I was wondering for a second if he was a specter or something but figured it was a glitch pretty fast. It returned to normal on my next reload.

This game is kicking my ass in the begining. The quests are anything but easy and I'm to weak and unskilled to use brute force. Good old PB. This is just the way I like it. I will be glad to get the hell out of Harbor town though.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2009, 03:23:41 PM »

this forum needs spoiler tags hehehe
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »

Yeah, I concur - I have no idea where an Open Lock spell or anything is at right now either, but I'm also in Chapter 2. I'd hate to have missed all those locked chests I've seen so far, so for me, it's useful.

BTW, some items you might want to not sell (or at least hold on to some) IF you intend to create scrolls (minor spoiler, only lists item names, and only what I've seen so far):

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wing Dust
Pearl
Wing
Nautilus Shell
Obsidian
Healing Plant
Healing Herb
Tusk (Boar)

BTW - if you're a sneaker, the key by default is mapped to Left Ctrl. That's what I get for not reading the manual before diving right in.

Finally - isn't it just slightly annoying that your mana doesn't regenerate in the slightest? I think it should regen somewhat (but very slowly). Makes me glad I have all that strength training, as I'd go crazy having to drink my entire mana potion stock just to keep blasting away.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2009, 04:19:27 PM »

Where does it say how many training points you have. I read the manual and looked on the character screen.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »

Risen is 4th on the Steam best sellers list and first on Direct to Drive. I really hope it does great because I want PB to keep making games.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2009, 04:47:54 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 07, 2009, 04:19:27 PM

Where does it say how many training points you have. I read the manual and looked on the character screen.

it's learning points on the left hand side.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 07:03:18 AM

I don't remember any of the combats in their previous games taking so long (other than those damned dragons in Gothic 2).

To me that sounds exactly like Gothic 2- I got in quite a few epic one-on-one combats there because I was going up against someone much higher level than me. I think that was one of my favorite aspects of the game- if you were skilled in the combat system it was quite possible to beat enemies that you would normally need to level up a bunch to take on. 
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 04:47:54 PM

Thanks. I wasn't expecting it on the stats page. Rather than put early points in a weapon skill (since I may go a different faction), is it worth it to put points in sneak, Gut, etc earlier on.?
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 07, 2009, 06:09:48 PM

Thanks. I wasn't expecting it on the stats page. Rather than put early points in a weapon skill (since I may go a different faction), is it worth it to put points in sneak, Gut, etc earlier on.?

The only ones you may want to avoid are sneak and acrobatics because you can find some rings early on that do both of those and they are one point wonder skills anyway and situational enough that you can put them on when you need them.

Lock Pick is a must have skill. Alchemy 3 is nice for the perma-stat pots (WTB Heroes Crown!) but not essential. Later on you may want to get Create Scroll once its available.

You're also pretty safe bringing strength up to about 50 no matter what you end up choosing in the long run. A 50 strength crossbow can just barely one shot those stinking Spike Rats or whatever those little bastards are called. I go out of my way to rid the world of Gnomes and Spike Rats. Genocide sounds wonderful!
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 07, 2009, 06:09:48 PM

Gut is really useful; and if you purchase a few little tools, you can extract even more things from dead animals.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2009, 01:24:56 PM »

Ok, a few more Risen questions. For some reason I'm not finding the game as intuitive as most. My goal is to get to Mage. I left the bandit town after a few quests, just not liking it. I let myself get captured by the Order and now I'm doing those quests.

1. I ran into a recruit in the monastery who is studying magic, my speech dialog told him I planned on being a Fighter, even though I had only started the Order quests. Does that mean I'm already locked into being a Fighter?

2. I have to fight Aric to complete the first Master quest. I'm level 3 with level 2 staves and no money or more XP to get. There is no way I can beat him at this level. He just stands in the Arena waiting for me for days.

3. I was caught stealing and fought some named NPCs. I accidentally killed them once they were down (like in the Arena). No one saw it, so I'm not being attacked. They are still being referred to in dialog and quests though and I'm thinking "Dude, he's dead". Can you screw up quests if you kill people that are needed in the quest or are their side solutions?
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 08, 2009, 01:24:56 PM

Ok, a few more Risen questions. For some reason I'm not finding the game as intuitive as most. My goal is to get to Mage. I left the bandit town after a few quests, just not liking it. I let myself get captured by the Order and now I'm doing those quests.

1. I ran into a recruit in the monastery who is studying magic, my speech dialog told him I planned on being a Fighter, even though I had only started the Order quests. Does that mean I'm already locked into being a Fighter?

If you get conscripted into the order then you can only become a warrior of the order. You need to complete the Harbor Town quests and get a letter of recommendation to become a mage.

2. I have to fight Aric to complete the first Master quest. I'm level 3 with level 2 staves and no money or more XP to get. There is no way I can beat him at this level. He just stands in the Arena waiting for me for days.

I heard there is another way, but since I entered the Monastery a bit later I could handle him better.

3. I was caught stealing and fought some named NPCs. I accidentally killed them once they were down (like in the Arena). No one saw it, so I'm not being attacked. They are still being referred to in dialog and quests though and I'm thinking "Dude, he's dead". Can you screw up quests if you kill people that are needed in the quest or are their side solutions?

There may be a side quest that you can't finish. It probably won't be anything that breaks the game though. Most likely it wouldn't be anything more than about 300xp that you might miss out on. Can you remember where he was or what his name was?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »

There is another way to beat Aric. If I remember right, once he beats you, or once you learn that he's going to fight you, other dialog options open up on some of the other trainers in the yard. You may or may not had to have helped out the guy mucking out the pig farm (middle floor, near the food area) first.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on October 08, 2009, 01:30:20 PM

If you get conscripted into the order then you can only become a warrior of the order.

Well that kind of sucks...

Quote from: Destructor on October 08, 2009, 01:39:44 PM

There is another way to beat Aric. If I remember right, once he beats you, or once you learn that he's going to fight you, other dialog options open up on some of the other trainers in the yard. You may or may not had to have helped out the guy mucking out the pig farm (middle floor, near the food area) first.

Yeah I did the pig mucking and the murder plot (I ended up reloading because I 'accidentally' killed Caspar who I needed to solve the murder). I also got the front door opened, so maybe I'll go wack some animals to get more xp. I just wanted to finish that quest line so I could move on. I guess I can just leave him standing in the Arena forever...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »

did you level up any of your other weapons?  even though the people at the monastery focus on the staff the game doesn't stop you from using a sword/shield or bow & arrows.  after finally getting him to half health using my sword & shield (hey, he was using one too so screw the rules) I got tired of it and plinked him to death with arrows with the bow you find early on and no points put into the skill.  the thing to remember with the bow is the last shot killed him instead of knocking him unconscious; of course that may be the only way to end the fight at that point.  oh, and make sure to grab his sword.

of course this fight was after I solved

Spoiler for Hiden:
the murder quest, I never fought him for beating up Kato

Because I can,
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 08, 2009, 01:49:11 PM

Yeah I did the pig mucking and the murder plot (I ended up reloading because I 'accidentally' killed Caspar who I needed to solve the murder). I also got the front door opened, so maybe I'll go wack some animals to get more xp. I just wanted to finish that quest line so I could move on. I guess I can just leave him standing in the Arena forever...

Too bad there isn't a 'random serial killer' faction you can join.  icon_lol
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »

How to beat Aric without becoming frustrated:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Don't go around leveling up or improving your fighting skills beyond rank 2. It's not necessary. Let him beat you once, then go talk to Caspar. He'll tell you of an alternate way to deal with him, using a bit of trickery and alcohol. Following his instructions will make the fight against Aric just as easy as the previous fight you won, or perhaps even easier.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 08, 2009, 02:39:30 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Don't go around leveling up or improving your fighting skills beyond rank 2. It's not necessary. Let him beat you once, then go talk to Caspar. He'll tell you of an alternate way to deal with him, using a bit of trickery and alcohol. Following his instructions will make the fight against Aric just as easy as the previous fight you won, or perhaps even easier.

LOL, that would have never occurred to me.  of course in my fight with him there was no second chance.

Because I can,
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
He already beat me once (took ma money!) and now he back in the Arena waiting. Caspar has no options though.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 08, 2009, 02:56:44 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
He already beat me once (took ma money!) and now he back in the Arena waiting. Caspar has no options though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You should get him out of the arena. Let him beat you again.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »

What are the AP status points you get? I don't see them in my character profile. Like I got 10 AP in Humanitarianism or something like that. Typically get them as you complete quests.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »

forgive me for being naive but how do you level up your stats? I see I have 20 learning points to spend...
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 08, 2009, 06:00:30 PM

What are the AP status points you get? I don't see them in my character profile. Like I got 10 AP in Humanitarianism or something like that. Typically get them as you complete quests.

Those are Achievement Points. If you press escape to see the menu you'll see a button to see what you have achieved. I don't think there is any in-game benefit.

Quote from: vizionblind on October 08, 2009, 06:02:05 PM

forgive me for being naive but how do you level up your stats? I see I have 20 learning points to spend...

There are trainers scattered around the world. The dialog usually starts with something like "What can you teach me?". You can train everything but Wisdom which is found from book stands.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »

You can train everything but Wisdom which is found from book stands

...and is useful to mages only.

Guys, have you tried different crystals (fire, ice and magic)? What do you think about them? Which one(s) are you going to raise?

It seems that magic crystal is lowest mana cost, lowest damage but highest rate of fire. Ice costs most mana, not sure about damage and can freeze an enemy (I've seen it happening only once out of probably 20 times I used it). Fire seems to be AoE, not sure about damage either and the mana cost is in the middle.

I wonder what to raise. Does Ice's chance to freeze increase as you level it up?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »

Well, Fire gains an improvement at level 5 (increased blast radius and more splash damage), so I assume Ice gains a similarly thematic upgrade at the same level. I suspect there's an additional upgrade at level 10, but I'm only at 6 so far.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 08, 2009, 08:09:46 PM

Guys, have you tried different crystals (fire, ice and magic)? What do you think about them? Which one(s) are you going to raise?

It seems that magic crystal is lowest mana cost, lowest damage but highest rate of fire. Ice costs most mana, not sure about damage and can freeze an enemy (I've seen it happening only once out of probably 20 times I used it). Fire seems to be AoE, not sure about damage either and the mana cost is in the middle.

I wonder what to raise. Does Ice's chance to freeze increase as you level it up?

I went mage (after completing the harbor town quests & getting the recommendation) and went full down the magic crystal path.  I'd recommend going down only 1 combat path, I did magic bullet & 4 into staff and I'm thinking of replaying going down axe/bow. 

As far as crystals go, I did 10 down crystal magic becase: 1) it is fast firing and will auto fire if you hold down the mouse button, this means if you miss it isn't as much of a big deal as missing with a slower fire or ice attack (tried fire & Ice for a couple levels before reloading, I just kept getting annoyed when mobs moved out of the way), 2) with magic bullets every center hit (chest or head) knocks the mob back, which meant if they even made it to you without dying they'd only get 1 hit. It also has a lot less of a chance for friendly fire damage (aka the aoe affect that fireball gets).  It actually made single mob fights almost trivial by the end of the game and multiple mob fights (at least on the hardest ones) I'd have to back peddle a bit so I could drink a mana potion. 

Fire eventually gets (at 5 i think) an aoe effect, and ice starts freezing mobs. Ice, then magic are the best crowd control, fire is the best damage.

I'm thinking of replaying going fully down bow and axe. Not sure how much of the other skills I will take. 

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2009, 04:16:21 AM »

IGN review
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/103/1033646p1.html

Spoiler for Hiden:
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2009, 08:47:41 AM »

Spoiler for what? What do we have to know in advance before we click that spoiler tag? Come on, throw us a hint at least!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2009, 09:04:10 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 06, 2009, 02:47:31 PM

2) Where can I get Lockpicking and Pick Pocket 3? The trainers I've seen (one in Harbor Town and one in the Swamp, and I think I found one in the Monastery as well) cap at 2.

I just found Lockpicking 3:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Patty from the one harbortown tavern has it available in chapter 2.  note that I helped her get out of town so she's on the beach outside the town in my game.

Because I can,
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on October 09, 2009, 08:42:02 PM

I'm thinking of replaying going fully down bow and axe. Not sure how much of the other skills I will take. 

I am probably going to try a full on Dex character after I finish. Even with Fireball 10 I still use my crossbow every chance I get. I can't even imagine how cool a full bow spec would be. The only problem is that I haven't seen all that many Dex based swords. In fact the ONLY really cool weapons I have seen were all Str based swords. I have a hunch that maxed out bow will be pretty damn impressive so it may not matter.

Fireball 10 is pretty awesome, but I need to keep a joke handy for those times I damage an NPC. There is another AOE radius bonus at 10 so I get to use the AOE aspect occasionally now. If I had to go again I would probably have done Ice instead of fire. I heard that Ice 5 (so you can freeze stuff good) plus axe high enough to get the charge attacks is really powerful. If I went order again I'd try it, but I'm going Rebel next time.

This may be the first single player RPG that I am really excited about replaying.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »

I was level 18 with maxed out Fireball by the time I finished chapter 2. That spell got really powerful when I leveled it from level 9 to 10. Where I previously had to wait several seconds for the spell to recharge, it now recharges in about a second, letting me kill most creatures before they get close to me. Even creatures that I in the middle of chapter 2 thought would be really hard even when fully leveled are now pretty easy, such as ogres.

In fact, the entire game has been pretty easy since about the middle of chapter 2.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on October 09, 2009, 08:42:02 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on October 08, 2009, 08:09:46 PM

I went mage (after completing the harbor town quests & getting the recommendation) and went full down the magic crystal path.  I'd recommend going down only 1 combat path, I did magic bullet & 4 into staff and I'm thinking of replaying going down axe/bow. 

I'm almost done with the Town. I came from the Monastery and met with the Commandant but did not say "I want to join the Order" How do I go Mage?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 10, 2009, 04:51:00 PM

I'm almost done with the Town. I came from the Monastery and met with the Commandant but did not say "I want to join the Order" How do I go Mage?

in my game Pallas at the Monastery asked some questions and IIRC that was when I got to choose.

even though I'm playing a mage I'm leveling up the sword to level 6 so I can use bastard swords one handed so I have an effective sword/shield combo for the beasties that come in low.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »

I got my sword skills to 7 on my 'Mage' (I can swing Bastard Swords around with wild abandon right now) and now I'm working on getting Fireball up. With the ability to use Charge attacks with Swords, my overall DPS has skyrocketed, and mobs that were dangerous before (skeletons for that one quest, among other things) are now much easier (but I can still get cut up if they hit me).

Now to work on Fireball...it's already quite effective at range, and you can do things like target the ground to hit things AoE (or the mob itself, obviouslly), but it's not quite powerful enough (and I can use it only 5 times before draining the mana pool). Maybe with a few more ranks...

And I found Lockpicking 3 as somebody indicated a few posts back on my own as I started the second chapter - now I gotta get Pick Pocket 3... Must steal from important people. biggrin

And on one final note - it's amazing how I can steal weapons that people ARE USING TO STAND UP WITH without them noticing.

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2009, 06:50:15 PM

Quote from: Jag on October 10, 2009, 04:51:00 PM

in my game Pallas at the Monastery asked some questions and IIRC that was when I got to choose.

even though I'm playing a mage I'm leveling up the sword to level 6 so I can use bastard swords one handed so I have an effective sword/shield combo for the beasties that come in low.

You have to go to harbor town and complete all of the quests for order first if you want to be a mage. If you complete too many of the Don's quests you'll get locked out.  Once you have run the order quests there, Casca will give you his recommendation to join the order. It also helps if you have the mage from harbor town give you his recommendation as well (not hard, only two quests you have to complete for him).  Once you have Casca's note, you can go to the monastery and Pallas will give you the choice.   If you don't do that, you'll only have the option for Warrior of the Order.

edit:  BTW, how do you insert a spoiler tag?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2009, 12:52:56 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on October 10, 2009, 11:46:08 PM

Type in (without spaces)  [ spoiler ] insert spoiler text here [ / spoiler ] to hide things away.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2009, 12:52:56 AM

Type in (without spaces)  [ spoiler ] insert spoiler text here [ / spoiler ] to hide things away.

there's also the spoiler button

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2009, 01:28:26 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2009, 12:55:21 AM

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2009, 12:52:56 AM

there's also the spoiler button

As in a button to click that inserts the tag?  I do not see it as an option when I reply. Not really an issue, typing the tag in is easy enough.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2009, 01:37:02 AM »

yeah, it's a button but I forgot it's not in all the forum themes yet.

I just noticed something:  when you train a skill it doesn't take into account and items you're using that give you extra levels in a skill, so you want to unequip anything like, say, a sword that gives you +1 in the sword skill to avoid paying extra money.  I spent 100 extra gold training to sword level 7 when I had such a sword equipped, then when I unequipped it I immediately went back down to level 6 since I was technically only level 5 at the time of the training.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: