http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risen from Pirhana Bytes  (Read 19241 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »

last night I picked up the level of sword that allows 'lateral striking' and then spammed that to take down a few people.  doing that I completed a couple of quests, joined the Order (according to something that popped up after finishing 4 quests in their favor) and ended up with a fat purse, but I have yet to find any armor  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2009, 02:16:36 PM

last night I picked up the level of sword that allows 'lateral striking' and then spammed that to take down a few people.  doing that I completed a couple of quests, joined the Order (according to something that popped up after finishing 4 quests in their favor) and ended up with a fat purse, but I have yet to find any armor  crybaby

If you're wanting to be sword then joining the Order may not be the best thing for you. They almost force you to use the staff. Then again, you may be able to work around it somehow.

About that armor...
Spoiler for Hiden:
The best armor I found in Chapter One is from the swamp camp. If you can convince a few guys to go back to work you can get "Worker Clothes" for 500 gold. You can get this even if you're not going to join the native faction.

There is also an "Officer's Coat" that you can get from Carlos the innkeeper near the back entrance to Harbor City.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on October 05, 2009, 02:29:20 PM

If you're wanting to be sword then joining the Order may not be the best thing for you. They almost force you to use the staff. Then again, you may be able to work around it somehow.

yeah, I figure I won't put any more points into the sword.  I would have been putting them into staff but I don't think I've seen one available (even the Order Guardhouse had nothing but swords hanging on the racks), which made the sword purchases necessary.

On my next playthrough I'm definitely going to the swamp camp first- I even have a save game I made before I chose the city so I don't have to go through the very beginning again since that section is always the same.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »

BTW, I got mine to run via a not-so-legal (but not illegal) workaround (using the sort of no-cd patch that you see at certain sites). I like the game, very addictive, but I am still irritated that the customer support hasn't dealt with the Tages issue. I get random slowdowns (probably not Tages related) but mostly the graphics are fine and work well.

I like the game, but combat can really tick you off. Be ready to hit the "load" button tons of times. Right now I'm trying to beat a particularly nasty guy, for the second time, and it is hard as nails!

Bael
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on October 05, 2009, 02:29:20 PM

You can train up to Skill Level 7 in Sword if you're in the Order.  You just can't get Level 10.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on October 05, 2009, 03:49:35 PM

I like the game, but combat can really tick you off. Be ready to hit the "load" button tons of times. Right now I'm trying to beat a particularly nasty guy, for the second time, and it is hard as nails!

If you find yourself up against a really frustrating fight, you've done something wrong. Either you're in a location you're not supposed to be in yet (gain a few more levels first) or you're not supposed to deal with the situation that way. I got frustrated because of the latter during a section in the early part of the Monastery (for mages. Dunno if it's the same for warriors) where I had to fight a specific guy that could take 30-40 hits to go down while he took me out in 1 or 2. Turns out there's a much better way to deal with that situation if you ask around a little.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 05, 2009, 05:21:37 PM

Quote from: baelthazar on October 05, 2009, 03:49:35 PM

If you find yourself up against a really frustrating fight, you've done something wrong. Either you're in a location you're not supposed to be in yet (gain a few more levels first) or you're not supposed to deal with the situation that way. I got frustrated because of the latter during a section in the early part of the Monastery (for mages. Dunno if it's the same for warriors) where I had to fight a specific guy that could take 30-40 hits to go down while he took me out in 1 or 2. Turns out there's a much better way to deal with that situation if you ask around a little.

Damn, and I beat that bastard twice! He is really hard. Oh well... It was a very good learning experience. At least it got me ready for all those War Crickets.  paranoid
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2009, 05:45:13 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on October 05, 2009, 05:30:42 PM

Damn, and I beat that bastard twice! He is really hard. Oh well... It was a very good learning experience. At least it got me ready for all those War Crickets.  paranoid

What, you mean the ones that go down in 3 fireballs? Tongue
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 05, 2009, 05:45:13 PM

Quote from: Aganazer on October 05, 2009, 05:30:42 PM

What, you mean the ones that go down in 3 fireballs? Tongue

Hehe... No, the ones you try to fight after your mana has run out and you're still at full health.  icon_lol But yeah, love Fireball now. I just gotta get my mana up so I can spam it all day. One group and I'm tapped out. WTB Heroes Crown!
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »

Wimps.  I never got fireball, so the War Crickets only got hit in the head with a sword.  They're chumps. slywink
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »

I think this might be a game I could actually replay. I feel like I've skipped a large amount of content by going with the mages instead of the bandit camp. Not only would that give me a different view of the story, but I'd also use different skills from the ones I use right now. Focusing on melee must be a pretty different experience from trying to fireball monsters to death before they get close to you.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on October 05, 2009, 01:03:26 PM

It may be a bit premature to say this without finishing it, but Risen may be the best CRPG I have ever played. I like the British tough guy humor in the dialog (almost reminds me of the movie Snatch). I like the long drawn out melee battles with all the positioning, blocking, parrying, etc. I like that I got my ass handed to me by anything I tried to fight for the first 5 hours of playing. The world has been utterly believable in almost every detail. No loads between areas. Great character advancement with a big variety of things to learn. I like all the traps, secrets, and puzzles in the dungeons. Other than the cringe-worthy jump animation I can't think of anything I don't like about Risen.

Ultima Underworld, Gothic, and Arx Fatalis were my favorites before, but this has topped all of them so far. Unless something goes horribly wrong in the second half of the game, I may have found a new favorite CRPG.

That's good to hear, because that is my exact favorites list as well. Now I just need time to play the game.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »

I don't think I will ever call it my absolute favorite, but it is a wonderful start to a new series (hopefully). This is a great Gothic reboot.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »

check out this easter egg, found on neogaf forums:

I just read on a German forum that the game has a "retro mode" for quests.

If you set
RetroQuestMessageSystem="true"
in the ConfixDefault.xml file the quest map will be disabled, and you won't get a quest descritption but just a journal entry. You can also disable the "found x of y thingamajings" messages.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375990
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:47:54 PM by vizionblind » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »

As far as a good staff weapon goes:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I found a really nice one off of the commander of the Order legion. The one guarding the warehouse in the harbor. I, uh, sorta 'borrowed' it off of him with level 2 thieving. 46 Blade damage (Staff weapon) and requires 38 Strength.

Personally, I'm going the way of the Mages as well, but I'll be keeping the sword/shield out. Not being able to shield block is extremely dangerous against certain animals (anything that attacks 'low', like wolves and such), as you can't block them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 05, 2009, 10:56:24 PM

Personally, I'm going the way of the Mages as well, but I'll be keeping the sword/shield out. Not being able to shield block is extremely dangerous against certain animals (anything that attacks 'low', like wolves and such), as you can't block them.

That's what I do too. I find I don't get penalized for using sword and board instead of a staff, especially since I'm using an enchanted sword that gives me +1 to the Sword skill, leaving it at the same level as Staff. I've got much better weapons lying around (including a 50 or so damage staff), but I don't want to use my precious Learning Points to increase my Strength enough to use them. I'm considering improving my Alchemy to level 3 and creating some permanent strength potions since I'll never hit the cap in that stat anyway.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2009, 01:39:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 06, 2009, 07:45:32 AM

Quote from: Destructor on October 05, 2009, 10:56:24 PM

That's what I do too. I find I don't get penalized for using sword and board instead of a staff, especially since I'm using an enchanted sword that gives me +1 to the Sword skill, leaving it at the same level as Staff. I've got much better weapons lying around (including a 50 or so damage staff), but I don't want to use my precious Learning Points to increase my Strength enough to use them. I'm considering improving my Alchemy to level 3 and creating some permanent strength potions since I'll never hit the cap in that stat anyway.

Alchemy is a great investment.  For 15 LPs, you get tremendous payback.  For example, I levelled up alchemy to 3, and then immediately created 5 strength potions (at +5 str each), which more than paid back the investment.  Since then, I've created at least 2 more strength potions, and 6 dexterity potions, as well as I think about 3-5 life potions (+10 life each).  It allows me to keep my learning points for skills only.

Plus you can create the really good healing potions...it's a nice side benefit.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »

Sounds like I'll be spending my 5 leftover points on Alchemy 3 then. smile

The negative side to going bananas with your alchemy skill like you've done is that you won't be able to go past the maximum training limit. The idea is to let trainers take you to the max and then use potions to increase your level past that, but when you've used the potions in advance you won't be able to do that. Still, that's only an issue if you were expecting to hit the limit in the first place.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

I'll have to check out alchemy.  I took it in Gothic 2 (which I'm still kinda playing, the dragon slaying quest kinda has me against the wall) and it didn't really pay off so I put it low on the list.  of course now I'm locked in the Monastery and haven't seen any alchemists as of yet but I imagine there is at least one.  I was surprised to find the blacksmith had lockpicking and ended up buying 2 levels of it.

does anyone know if the outdoor enemies respawn?

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2009, 02:37:55 PM »

There is an alchemist in the Monastery, but he's well hidden. Trying to find him is a very cool quest in itself. smile

Enemies don't respawn, but new, more powerful enemies are added at certain points, particularly between chapters.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 06, 2009, 02:37:55 PM

There is an alchemist in the Monastery, but he's well hidden. Trying to find him is a very cool quest in itself.

Yeah, that old coot doesn't like spending his time with the novices (or anybody for that matter) I've found.

A few questions:

1) Where can I get Alchemy 3? I'm assuming the guy in the Monastery can do it based on posts here, but I haven't found him yet (just his lab late at night filled with +3 Wisdom books).
2) Where can I get Lockpicking and Pick Pocket 3? The trainers I've seen (one in Harbor Town and one in the Swamp, and I think I found one in the Monastery as well) cap at 2.

BTW - Smithing 3 can be learned from the smith in the Merchant Quarter of Harbor Town as soon as you find him (and have 15 points). I got it mainly for Gold Smithing. As I find new gems, I gain new recipes automagically. I'm currently using a necklace that gives me 15 Strength (that and my bladed staff helped me rip through the first 'training area' at the Monastery - yeah, I cheated, so what?  icon_twisted), and I'm debating on crafting a ring that gives me +8 to all melee defenses.

It's tons of fun playing Risen so far. Of course, I'm also playing as a total ass, playing both sides to my advantage (at least I was doing that to start when I had the choice), and stealing EVERYTHING that isn't bolted down. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 06, 2009, 02:47:31 PM

1) Where can I get Alchemy 3? I'm assuming the guy in the Monastery can do it based on posts here, but I haven't found him yet (just his lab late at night filled with +3 Wisdom books).

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the alchemist in the monastery can train you all the way to 3. You've nearly found him. The area you're in is the correct one, but it's all a big puzzle that you need to solve. Spend some time there and look closely at your surroundings. You're bound to find him sooner or later.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 06, 2009, 02:37:55 PM

There is an alchemist in the Monastery, but he's well hidden. Trying to find him is a very cool quest in itself. smile

Enemies don't respawn, but new, more powerful enemies are added at certain points, particularly between chapters.

If you want to be a Mage, you HAVE to find him. So many people are frustrated, thinking it is a bug that you can't finish the Masters quest to go to the mage convocation, but in reality you have to find the alchemy master and finish his test.

Just an FYI, since NO other master talks about him and you never get a list of "finish these masters' tests."

Bael
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 06, 2009, 03:12:57 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 06, 2009, 02:47:31 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the alchemist in the monastery can train you all the way to 3. You've nearly found him. The area you're in is the correct one, but it's all a big puzzle that you need to solve. Spend some time there and look closely at your surroundings. You're bound to find him sooner or later.

That was a hella fun puzzle actually. I solved it already and without having to come back here for that little extra push. Nicely done, devs. biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

some tuning tips.

[edit]and they show how to change the quicksave/quickload keys!  thank god, I accidentally had to re-do a tough fight because my aim was off and I hit F9 instead of F8.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:14:03 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »

Now I just gotta find all the wonderful forumlae that give me potions of stat increasing...I 'found' the Dex one (somewhere), now for the rest... Ah, the life of a thief. biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2009, 11:11:46 PM »

Ok, I feel clueless here.  I did almost all of the quests in harbor town (went straight there), and chose to side with the Order.  I have my recommendations from the mage and the commander... how the hell do I get to the monastery?  I have no clue where the heck it is.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2009, 11:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 06, 2009, 11:11:46 PM

Ok, I feel clueless here.  I did almost all of the quests in harbor town (went straight there), and chose to side with the Order.  I have my recommendations from the mage and the commander... how the hell do I get to the monastery?  I have no clue where the heck it is.

on the map it's that other big building in between the 2 towns. look for the road signs that say Volcano Keep.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2009, 11:37:14 PM

on the map it's that other big building in between the 2 towns. look for the road signs that say Volcano Keep.

When I tried going that way, there was a guy guarding the way who said he would attack me if I tried going past him...hrmm will give it a go anyways and see what happens.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 07, 2009, 12:13:30 AM

When I tried going that way, there was a guy guarding the way who said he would attack me if I tried going past him...hrmm will give it a go anyways and see what happens.

that should change after you're joined the Order and Carlos says the way is clear.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2009, 12:19:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 12:16:32 AM

that should change after you're joined the Order and Carlos says the way is clear.

You mean the guy who's near this ruined temple looking thing? He's just a guard overdoing his job. Or something.

But yes, if you have both recommendations, proceed on past. And no matter what the guards at the Monastery itself say, you're allowed in. You have papers. You'll just have to show them to somebody better than your average guard.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 07, 2009, 12:19:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 12:16:32 AM

You mean the guy who's near this ruined temple looking thing? He's just a guard overdoing his job. Or something.

But yes, if you have both recommendations, proceed on past. And no matter what the guards at the Monastery itself say, you're allowed in. You have papers. You'll just have to show them to somebody better than your average guard.

I ran into a graphic glitch last night where that guy had no head.  it was bizarre, but when I alt tabbed to get FRAPS up and running it came back.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2009, 06:16:39 AM »

OK, I'm officially starting to find combat with humans boring.  block block block, be blocked be blocked be blocked, rinse, repeat, occasionally hit

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2009, 06:35:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 06:16:39 AM

OK, I'm officially starting to find combat with humans boring.  block block block, be blocked be blocked be blocked, rinse, repeat, occasionally hit

What, is your skill at level 1 or something? What you're describing is combat between two unskilled combatants. Once you get past level 1 in a combat skill you can do parries, counter attacks, side attacks (at certain ranks) and other fancy stuff that makes things more involved.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:18 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2009, 06:35:04 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 06:16:39 AM

OK, I'm officially starting to find combat with humans boring.  block block block, be blocked be blocked be blocked, rinse, repeat, occasionally hit

What, is your skill at level 1 or something? What you're describing is combat between two unskilled combatants. Once you get past level 1 in a combat skill you can do parries, counter attacks, side attacks (at certain ranks) and other fancy stuff that makes things more involved.

level 3 in the sword, 2 in the staff.  I just finished a fight I needed to win to continue the game in the Monastery and even with parrying and lateral attacks it took forever, or at least up until my opponent did this jumping attack that pretty much wiped out my health in one hit if I wasn't positioned just right and then I'd have to reload for another lengthy combat before I finally managed to whittle him down.  he blocked my counters, I blocked his- I've found as long as you hit block while you're still swinging you'll pretty much block a follow up attack in case they do parry you.  I don't remember any of the combats in their previous games taking so long (other than those damned dragons in Gothic 2).

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »

You're not really supposed to fight that guy like that, but if you managed to win, more power to you. I couldn't take him out even on Easy and instead followed the alternate route to get through it.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »

I beat that guy twice now. I've found only a few fights like that where I felt like I needed to defeat someone to progress. You get better at it though. Dodge to the side and hit them from the side works on most fights, but not so well on that particular fight.

Then again, my entire strategy for any fight changed after chapter 1. Now I just blast it all down with Fireball 5 while backpedaling and hoping I don't back up over a cliff edge.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2009, 08:16:32 AM

You're not really supposed to fight that guy like that, but if you managed to win, more power to you. I couldn't take him out even on Easy and instead followed the alternate route to get through it.

Yeah, I heard there was another way to beat him, but with 58 Strength at that point in time, combined with an Executioner's Staff (48 damage - borrowed from somebody else back in Harbor Town), all the 'required' fights there were far easier than they should've been.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »

I probably should read the pdf manual from Steam- I just discovered by accident that double tapping the movement keys is dodge; I thought I needed acrobatics to unlock that ability icon_redface

anyways, I finally beat that guy by getting him to half health, downing a speed potion (which makes you move faster but not attack faster) and running around, plinking him with my bow and arrows.

oh, and I found the alchemist in the Monastery.  that indeed was a cool little puzzle to find him, and knowing there is an open spell makes me sad I spent 10 points on pick locks 1 & 2.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 02:14:08 PM

oh, and I found the alchemist in the Monastery.  that indeed was a cool little puzzle to find him, and knowing there is an open spell makes me sad I spent 10 points on pick locks 1 & 2.

I dunno. I'm a mage and have still trained lockpicking to the second rank because I haven't found even a single Open Lock scroll, and least of all the rune. I have no idea where to find it, but I suspect it might not appear until later chapters (I'm in chapter 2).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: