http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risen from Pirhana Bytes  (Read 17733 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 28, 2009, 07:35:02 AM

A Norwegian publication just gave the game a score of 9/10, saying that the only reason it didn't get a 10 was because it didn't innovate. It's like the older Gothics, only a lot better, according to the review.

And that right there sounds like a huge plus for the game as a whole.

To grab or not to grab this week...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »

here's another atricle of video card benchmarks, but again they are using a pretty beefy machine.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »

so, is Steam the best deal other than pre-ordering at Gamestop online and waiting for their delivery?

Because I can,
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 03:33:16 PM »

awesome
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »

Well, Gamersgate has it for the full price, and you won't have to bother with the Steam client (pros and cons). But they say some small snippet about "released in North America Q1 2010." I think they forgot to take this down.

The big question is - would it be worth $5 not to have the Steam client running. Probably not. With Gamestop, unless they have free shipping, I would think that they would = the price of Steam in the shipping.

I wish Impulse had it. I have a coupon for them and their delivery method is the best!

Bael
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »

http://www.gamerzines.com/pc/reviews/risen.html
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on September 28, 2009, 03:46:12 PM

Well, Gamersgate has it for the full price, and you won't have to bother with the Steam client (pros and cons). But they say some small snippet about "released in North America Q1 2010." I think they forgot to take this down.

The big question is - would it be worth $5 not to have the Steam client running. Probably not. With Gamestop, unless they have free shipping, I would think that they would = the price of Steam in the shipping.

I wish Impulse had it. I have a coupon for them and their delivery method is the best!

Bael

true, after figuring out sales tax it's looking like Steam is going to be the best option unless Impulse pulls a surprise release on us.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »

I wish I knew... otherwise I might succumb to using the 20% from that survey on Cities XL or something else! I don't know why Impulse wouldn't get it though, they tend to all three get the same big releases.

Bael
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 28, 2009, 02:36:16 PM

here's another atricle of video card benchmarks, but again they are using a pretty beefy machine.

"An 8800gt is sufficent'"     Cool! Good to go!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »

So, there's allegedly a Collector's Edition for this but I can't find anyone actually selling it. Anyone have any details on that?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 03:32:20 AM »

Seems the low end specs are rather low end and the high end specs are rather high end. Very interesting. I've got a Dual Core 2.0 Ghz, and a 256 Geforce 8600M GT in my lappy (4 GB ram) so its hard to say. I have problems with Champions Online, but fewer problems with Fallout 3. I'm guessing if I turn some stuff down and play at medium, I'll be good to go.

I would also say it's either Risen or Dragon Age for me. And Dragon Age has not excited me very much. All of it is just something to do until I get Torchlight and Din's Curse. I love Indie RPG more than anything really!

Bael
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »

My PC version is due to be delivered today.  Thanks EBgames.com...
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »

Hey, just an FYI. I received word that Impulse does not currently plan to offer Risen. A shame, because they are clearly the best choice. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Bael
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

Boo! I wanted to use my 20% off coupon!

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »

Me too...   crybaby
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »

The game will be available for digital download from http://www.risen-shop.com almost a whole day before Steam, and for a cheaper price too. It seems to be limited to customers from certain European countries, but I was able to purchase the download as a UK customer even though I'm in Norway (which isn't in the EU, and isn't one of the countries listed at the site).
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 05:13:58 PM »

I can get it in the US from the Nexway store, but it's $49.99, same as Gamersgate. Now this issue is - does $5 merit not having to connect to Steam. I guess $5 and a day early might be worth it.

I could order from Gamestop, but that's a different ball of wax (and I'm getting to the point I don't want CD copies of things anymore).

Bael
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »

FYI - Amazon.com supposedly has it too, for $39.99. You can get free shipping from Amazon on some orders (I have Amazon Prime, so I get free 2-day, worth the investment if you order from Amazon a good amount). They say they ship on October 1, but sometimes Amazon mucks things up. I'm thinking this may be a good route to go, if you don't mind waiting a little.

Bael
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »

There's a poster on QT3 who already go this EBGames.com order and has posted some early impressions, so it looks like it's shipping early.  However, I don't think that means stores will have it.  It'll probably be Friday before that happens.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »

Fine, don't give us a link or just copy/paste the impressions in. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »

They were pretty good, but pretty short. Basically boiled down to - if you liked Gothic 1/2, you will love this.

Bael
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:11 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 29, 2009, 03:09:11 PM

Boo! I wanted to use my 20% off coupon!

+1. I decided to just buy it from Steam and maybe use the 20% off coupon to get Dragon Age.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2009, 06:05:58 AM »

Amazon has it in stock and with 2-day shipping (free with Prime) you can get it by October 2. Nice! I was worried that they would be fiddly, which is how they can be with games like this.

Got mine ready to go and ordered!

Bael
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »

Impressions so far.

Okay, after staying up late last night, this game is very, very much like Gothic 1 and 2. I really like it...it's smooth, runs great (I have all details maxed, but I have a fairly beefy computer; core i7, 285 GTX, etc.).  You're a shipwreck victim, landed on an island you know nothing about.  Much of what I've been doing is exploring the land and discovering a few different locations.

Combat is actually pretty decent; it's a bit easier than Gothic 2, but not by much. That is, while you will be able to handle yourself fairly well against some creatures, you'll get your butt handed to you by others. For example, hungry wolves are pretty easy to kill, but regular wolves (and they look the same) are much tougher.

Also, the skills are cool; you can train different weapons to different levels (segregated into staff, axe, sword), and each skill level for each different weapon gives a different ability. Level 2 in axe gives you a power attack that you charge up and do extra damage, and lets you break through enemy parries, while Level 2 in sword gives you a counter parry that lets you interrupt enemy attacks and get a counterattack in. Level 3 in both gives lateral attacks (widesweeping side attacks). Level 4 in axe gives counter parry, while level 4 in sword makes your counter parry do damage, etc.

Although I'm still only a few hours into the game, money is very, very tight, and training is very expensive. I don't know how much that changes as you progress, however.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

How is the script and voice acting? 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on September 30, 2009, 06:05:58 AM

Amazon has it in stock and with 2-day shipping (free with Prime) you can get it by October 2. Nice! I was worried that they would be fiddly, which is how they can be with games like this.

Ended up doing the same and will have it Friday as well, giving up on a quest for the CE since it looks like it will only be released over in "Europe" and no clue if there is an English language version. Amazon.de listed it with the languages it supports as "German, German, German" and I don't sprechen any of those three.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 30, 2009, 04:11:16 PM

Quote from: baelthazar on September 30, 2009, 06:05:58 AM

Ended up doing the same and will have it Friday as well, giving up on a quest for the CE since it looks like it will only be released over in "Europe" and no clue if there is an English language version. Amazon.de listed it with the languages it supports as "German, German, German" and I don't sprechen any of those three.  icon_wink

I though about going through Amazon but I'm just going to go through Steam.  I don't have Prime (don't order enough from them to justify it), so the cost will be about the same anyways.

Because I can,
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

This game just keeps sounding better and better the more I hear about it. Can't wait till Friday.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 30, 2009, 03:55:59 PM

How is the script and voice acting? 

Script is okay, but I'm still new, so most of the quests are your typical quests.  Voice acting is pretty good, though sometimes I think the main character was voiced by Ewan McGregor (sounds like him in some spots).
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »

Actually some heavy voice talent in this one - according to IMDB.

The Inquisitor is Andy Serkis (played Gollum in video games, but also Capricorn in the latest Inkheart movie).
Don Esteban is the one and only John Rhys-Davies, who starred in a little film called Indiana Jones.
Patty is Lena Headey, who is in the new Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles show.
Your character seems to be Gus Gallagher, pretty much a newbie.

Several other brits, mostly character actors but a few reasonably well-known.

I'm impressed.

Bael
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »

Yeah, that's quite the lineup.  I still get get gunshy with these European developed RPGs- I always assume that the North American publisher is going to half-ass it and do a crappy localization and then hire the janitorial staff as voice actors.  Nice to see that isn't the case this time out. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2009, 01:11:39 AM »

Risen is fantastic so far. It is a significant improvement over Gothic 3, especially from a stability and optimization standpoint. I've only played a couple hours, but I was smiling the entire time. For anyone who enjoys Gothic, this game is an absolute no-brainer. Between The Witcher, Risen, and Dragon Age, it feels like a PC RPG renaissance.

BTW, if you have an Nvidia card, the game was optimized for the 178.24 drivers. Moving to this driver set increased my frames per second by 10-15.

A nice review here, in PDF issue 34 (free):   http://www.gamerzines.com/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:21:49 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 01, 2009, 01:11:39 AM

Between The Witcher, Risen, and Dragon Age, it feels like a PC RPG renaissance.

I would feel that way if any of them didn't have real time combat. Tongue
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2009, 05:26:14 AM »

Risen is fantastic so far. It is a significant improvement over Gothic 3, especially from a stability and optimization standpoint. I've only played a couple hours, but I was smiling the entire time. For anyone who enjoys Gothic, this game is an absolute no-brainer. Between The Witcher, Risen, and Dragon Age, it feels like a PC RPG renaissance.

BTW, if you have an Nvidia card, the game was optimized for the 178.24 drivers. Moving to this driver set increased my frames per second by 10-15.

Hmm... those are some older drivers! I'm wondering if would experience better performance all around in games if I went back. It seems once I upgraded to the 180 series drivers, my framerates have been tanking.

I'll test this out once I get my copy in the next few days!

Bael
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 06:05:46 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on October 01, 2009, 05:26:14 AM

Hmm... those are some older drivers! I'm wondering if would experience better performance all around in games if I went back. It seems once I upgraded to the 180 series drivers, my framerates have been tanking.

Bael

I'm not sure if I want to roll back my drivers that far seeing as they're almost a year old.  you have to wonder what the devs were thinking, not bothering to optimize for more current drivers.

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 01, 2009, 06:05:46 AM

Quote from: baelthazar on October 01, 2009, 05:26:14 AM

A nice review here, in PDF issue 34 (free):   http://www.gamerzines.com/

Bael

I'm not sure if I want to roll back my drivers that far seeing as they're almost a year old.  you have to wonder what the devs were thinking, not bothering to optimize for more current drivers.

I should have qualified my statement and said only roll back if you are having serious framerate issues. The vast majority of people should have no problems with the latest nvidia drivers. People with mid level systems may want to experiment with the rollback if they enjoy playing at higher resolutions. I had no issues upon installation, but wanted to test the information that had been posted as a workaround for that small group of gamers that were experiencing difficulties or playing on older rigs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:54:32 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »

DEMO!!!

http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pages/en/news/news.php
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »

another demo link

http://www.fileshack.com/file_download.x/15356#
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 11:53:35 PM »

DEMO TROUBBLE!  Tongue

Because I can,
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 02:56:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 01, 2009, 11:53:35 PM

demo on fileshack is fixed version. played it with no issue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: