http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:52:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Risen 2  (Read 5068 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2012, 12:47:41 AM

wait... a release date?

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2011/122211a.html

April 24th!!!!!

Hmmm, nice spread on the release dates.  That should be about the time I need a break from amalur/twisted metal..
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

I'll post another link even though it seems I'm the only one here excited about this. I just have really enjoyed PB's 4 previous games. Here's a video with some gameplay. I think I'm going with Voodoo.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2058tC_thVc
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »

I am certainly looking forward to this, but it is a bit guarded, given the ending of the first game.  To this day I never have been able to beat the final boss of Risen.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »

That last boss of Risen was awful, and inexcusable imho. I really hate when Dev's break all the rules of their game for an end boss. The only way I could beat this one was looking it up on utube. it's not that hard is you know the tricks. Still very lame though. Even though I love PB as a dev, their endings are always on the bad side. Since everything up til then brings me a great deal of enjoyment, I can forgive them that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 01:03:19 AM »

so, apparently they started a beta for this......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »

Detailed preview here.http://gamebanshee.com/previews/107077-risen-2-dark-waters-preview.html

April 24th release date.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 25, 2012, 01:03:19 AM

so, apparently they started a beta for this......

I hear the Beta was interesting.  I also heard the animations were kind of humorous during conversations.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »

Anyone know if the Steam preorder version includes the DLC that the in store preorder has? Steam doesn't say anything about preorder details.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »

New trailer up.http://www.shacknews.com/article/73009/daily-filter-risen-2-dark-waters-the-witcher-2-assassins
Looks like it's all cut scene no gameplay stuff but sets the story up a bit.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 13, 2012, 02:54:17 PM

Anyone know if the Steam preorder version includes the DLC that the in store preorder has? Steam doesn't say anything about preorder details.

it says you'll get the Treasure Island DLC now.  it registers with Steam, so you can find it cheaper and just put in the key.  Amazon has it for $44.99 right now, but I'm keeping an eye on Green Man Gaming in case they put it up with a better sale price.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »

now the release date is listed as April 27th instead of the 24th, of course I might be too RPG'd out by that point.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »

So, thumbs up or thumbs down?  Not allot of information out on this one that I can find.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 23, 2012, 12:36:17 PM

So, thumbs up or thumbs down?  Not allot of information out on this one that I can find.

there probably won't be much until later this week-  it's a Friday release for some reason.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 23, 2012, 12:36:17 PM

Too early to say for sure but I loved Risen 1.  That said these games will never have the wide appeal of say Skyrim.  Although, in my opinion they beat out the Elderscrolls games in every way possible except graphics.  I have it preordered.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »

Well the pirate theme would be a nice change up. 

I am buried in rpgs at the moment, but hoping to add this one to the que.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

Once this hits the $30 price point, I'll definitely be in.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »

RPGWatch has a roundup of the reviews, which range from 3.2/5 to 8/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »

Seems pretty typical for the Gothic games and the first Risen. Clumsy controls but a good game in there.

I was already in with the pre-purchase but sounds like I'll get what I expected.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:49 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 24, 2012, 08:01:33 PM

Seems pretty typical for the Gothic games and the first Risen. Clumsy controls but a good game in there.

The difference is that the reviews seem to indicate that the combat system is flawed this time around. Combat has always been one of the strong points of the Gothic series, and was also good in Risen 1.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 25, 2012, 06:39:49 AM

The difference is that the reviews seem to indicate that the combat system is flawed this time around. Combat has always been one of the strong points of the Gothic series, and was also good in Risen 1.

Flawed in what way? And fundamentally flawed as in not fixable or something they could address in a patch or three?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 25, 2012, 01:29:06 PM

Flawed in what way? And fundamentally flawed as in not fixable or something they could address in a patch or three?

The two complaints I heard (don't remember the source) said that melee combat could easily be won by just spamming the left mouse button, and that attacks from enemies were inconsistent, often leading to stun lock.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 25, 2012, 01:36:40 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 25, 2012, 01:29:06 PM

The two complaints I heard (don't remember the source) said that melee combat could easily be won by just spamming the left mouse button, and that attacks from enemies were inconsistent, often leading to stun lock.

I remember Gothic 3 having a problem with stun lock before they patched it.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2012, 05:20:46 AM »

I didnít play very long tonight but my initial impressions are that itís Risen 1 with pirates.  If you enjoyed Gothic/Gothic2/Risen then you will like this.  If you didnít this wonít change your mind.  Combat is a little different but itís still in the mold of the previous games.  You are supposed to suck at combat early on in these games; that is just how they are balanced.  Instead of invisible walls the games put enemies you have no hope of beating in your way to guide your where it wants you to go.  Spamming melee works against animals but it will get you killed against humans.

Other than that the interface is a little better than it was in Risen, the textures are better and the animations are a bit worse.  Story seems better as well but I havenít gotten far.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »

Put 4hrs in to it so far and now its finally clicking with me. Up until this point it was pretty ho hum.

Like Risen and the other Gothic games you start with little to nothing and getting gold to buy things you want is difficult. You even need gold to purchase abilities and those abilities cost $500 gold and up (most starting ones cost $1000  gold). So you have to really pick and choose at the start if you want to improve equipment or your abilities as you'll basically be setting your cash to $0 frequently. There are also some neat abilities for some of the various skill lines you can go down that I really want to try including an attack parrot, ending conversations with a bullet to the head and a pet monkey.

Because abilities cost a lot you're basically left to one basic attack for the first few hours of the game - which is basically spamming the swing button. But by hour four I now have a few things at my disposal including a strong swing, throwing sand in someones face, a pistol, and kicking. Combat is difficult near the begining but thankfully you have a partner with you that is a life saver when it comes to killing things. It looks like you can build out crew members but not sure if they tag along with you as well - would be nice if so.

Gameplay is pretty typical of these games. You explore the area, take on quests, find a few secrets, build up your character. The story so far isn't anything special at this point but I'm enjoying getting the various quests and that along with the desire to pump up my character is keeping me going.

The graphics are good but not great. Don't expect Witcher 2. I'm also kinda wondering if the light/shadowing for the game is not working correctly as the game seems overally bright and light sources don't seem to do anything. There are some graphical glitches that both NVidia and AMD users are experiencing. NVidia users will get flickering of the tree and ground foilage. AMD users will get flickering of the ground foilage but I was able to fix that by getting the latest Catalyst drivers (12.4) and turning foilage down to High.

We'll see how it goes.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »

This game has its hooks in me. I was supposed to be playing Tera Online with the guild during the pre-purchase head start period but couldn't stop playing Risen 2.

This is a pretty meaty game. I've put 17hrs in to it and its just now starting to open up.

It's not as difficult as the original Risen or the Gothic games but has that same addicting gameplay formula - at points in the game you have to choose sides which make a difference, and you never have enough gold on hand to go wild with buying items or training so you need to constantly make tough descisions.

Trying to lean my character towards using magic and have leveled it up quite but so far it hasn't been useful. I've basically been using swords and guns for combat - although I think I'm going to start leveling up spears. But damn I want that pet monkey and parrot which mean leveling up the pirate skills. Tough choices.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 02:25:10 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 28, 2012, 03:56:56 PM

The graphics are good but not great. Don't expect Witcher 2. I'm also kinda wondering if the light/shadowing for the game is not working correctly as the game seems overally bright and light sources don't seem to do anything. There are some graphical glitches that both NVidia and AMD users are experiencing. NVidia users will get flickering of the tree and ground foilage. AMD users will get flickering of the ground foilage but I was able to fix that by getting the latest Catalyst drivers (12.4) and turning foilage down to High.

I've been tempted to jump in on the game because I've been hearing good impressions beyond reviews, but the graphics issues are holding me back until there is a proper fix for nVidia users.  I saw this video of the issue, and it'd drive me crazy.  it's not just textures, watch at about 52 seconds to watch the bush noticeably grow and shrink, and then there's another example not much later at about 1:10.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »

Yeah that flickering textures would drive me mad - there was a bit of that for ground foliage on the Radeon cards but fixed by the latest drivers. The growing foliage thing happens often but I barely take notice of it. I think there's some config tweaks you can do to basically stop it (at a cost of FPS) but since I hardly notice it I haven't bothered to edit anything.

My biggest graphical gripe is that the lighting/shadows don't seem quite right.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »

the best part is none of those issues were in the beta.  at that point I thought the game looked decent except for the character animations while talking.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

while looking to see if the graphics flickering was fixed I stumbled across this fan mod:

AntiWarp is a Risen 2 modification that increases the high quality view ranges for SpeedTrees, thus enhancing the game's graphics and getting rid of the "warping"/"morphing" effect (in the original game, bushes and trees seem to grow when the camera approaches them). Optionally the mod also increases the absoulte view range for SpeedTrees.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »

It hasn't bothered me that much but can see it being annoying.

Really am enjoying the game but it looks like a lot of people are not liking it, including reviewers. 35hrs in and just starting the DLC but also figure I'm nearing the end. Guessing the game is about 40hrs which is plenty.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:32 AM »

I'm enjoying it but it definitely needs a bit of polish.  My biggest complaint is unlikely to ever get fixed though.  The combat of Risen 1 was just about perfect and I feel they really dumbed it down.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »

Yeah the combat could have been better. 90% of what you are fighting are monsters where the parry/riposte skills are not even used. Even kick is useless against most monsters. So combat either becomes a click fest or just chaining a bunch of power swings.

So a missed opportunity there.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

Well, I guess I can eat my words.  Today's patch adds the ability to doge.  Still not up to Risen 1's standards but head and shoulders better!

Also fixes the flickering problems many users experienced.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:19 AM »

Ugh. Poor ending! Was expecting much much more for the final area than was given. I still enjoyed the game overall but man these guys gotta figure out how to put together an end area.

Clocked in at 37hrs w/ the Treasure Island DLC.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

Thatís disappointing to hear.  To be fair though, has there ever been a good ending to one of these games?  I think Gothic 1 might have been the best and it was merely OK.  Is the ending at least better than Risen 1?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 11, 2012, 03:25:26 PM

Thatís disappointing to hear.  To be fair though, has there ever been a good ending to one of these games?  I think Gothic 1 might have been the best and it was merely OK.  Is the ending at least better than Risen 1?

wasn't G1 a

Spoiler for Hiden:
dragon fight?

I don't even remember the ending for G2.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »

so, more DLC:  Air Temple.  bring on the Steam sale!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »

they've finally put a demo out on Steam.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 02:13:40 AM »

I ended up grabbing this off of Impulse/Gamestop.  they had it on sale plus I had some store credit left over (almost losing the card the other day made me decide to just go ahead and spend it) so I'm downloading it now.  has anyone bothered with any of the DLC?

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 21, 2012, 02:13:40 AM

I ended up grabbing this off of Impulse/Gamestop.  they had it on sale plus I had some store credit left over (almost losing the card the other day made me decide to just go ahead and spend it) so I'm downloading it now.  has anyone bothered with any of the DLC?

Just the Treasure Isle one which came with the pre-purchase. It basically adds about an hour of gameplay with a small new island. Nothing special about it and you can do without. Hear the Air Temple is equally as quick and useless. Probably wouldn't buy either of these DLC's unless they went down to a buck or two.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: