http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:54:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rise of Legends Impressions ??  (Read 2926 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2006, 02:35:45 AM »

I haven't bought a PC game since Civ IV a couple of months back.  I enjoyed  RoN and I have much respect for Brian Reynolds, so I am considering picking this up.  Unfortunatley I wasn't able to get the (second) demo to install on my PC.  Can anybody answer how RoL would run on my rig?

P4 3.2, 1Gig RAM, ATI 9700 Pro (Old, I know).

Thanks in advance.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 03:41:18 AM »

I would guess pretty decently.  It ran decent on my rig, and it had a lesser video card.  I'm actually upgrading my video card to make the game prettier biggrin biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:57:03 AM »

The only question mark in my mind is your video card -- my understanding is that the Radeon 9700 enjoys full DirectX 9.0 support, but Rise of Legends pushes a lot of smoke, particle, and distortion effects on screen simultaneously during big battles which could be taxing for an older video card.

If you're willing to turn down the graphic options a bit, I feel pretty confident that the game would play okay for you.  Like most real-time strategy games, Rise of Legends is a lot more about the game play decisions involved in expanding your resource base and deploying effective unit tactics.  The graphics are very nice, but hardly as integral to the experience as they might be in a first person shooter.

As far as whether the game play is worth your money, I'll need more time to decide if I would recommend it to other people.  I'm enjoying the campaign structure which seems to combine elements of Rise of Nations' RISK-like territory grabbing with specific storyline objectives, but I'm troubled by the lack of a random map generator in the Quick Battle mode.  Random maps were the bread and butter of Rise of Nations for me.  Without the prospect of infinite new and unexpected map terrains to keep the environment eternally fresh, this game's value has a lot riding on the quality of its campaign.

Similarly, while the three playable factions are as interesting and diverse as those found in StarCraft, the scope of the game play seems to have been pared down to a straightforward brawl for supremacy.  Rise of Nations may not have been Civilization 4 in terms of complexity, but it enjoyed a lot of different game play elements like "Assassin Mode", unique map resources, and non-combat victory conditions which all appear to be completely missing from Rise of Legends.

I am having fun with this game so far.  However, it's *very* different from Rise of Nations and I would need more time before offering advice on whether or not I would take responsibility for convincing anyone else how to spend their money.

-Autistic Angel
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:55:34 AM »

Any thoughts on the quality (or lack therof) of the sound in Rise of Legends?  The sound in the most recent demo was rather lacking for me, seemed to be generally sparse and just plain missing in some places, and I've heard the same for the final release from multiple Qt3ers and Tom Chick's Yahoo review.  

And, on a related note, if you consider the sound quality to be good, do you use your mobo's built in sound component or a sound card?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 05:55:51 AM »

I have an Athlon 2200, 512 MB of RAM, and a Radeon 9550, and the demo ran fine on medium settings.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 06:30:45 AM »

I have an 2 gig proc, 1 gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9800pro.  So that is in the old school ball park of your question.  It runs very playably, but sadly not as nice as I would like.  I am in the AGP bottleneck boat and don't really want to upgrade a whole box just to get a better Video Card (darn you PCI express and your quick dominance of the market).  I may just suck it up and get one of the late generation AGPs with 256megs onboard memory (there are like 5 options that seem to want this and I have a 128meg card).

I would suggest trying out the demo.  Performance and looks seem slightly better in retail, but I think the demo is rather close.

As to sound...  The sound quality is good, as is the music, but the effort and frequency is lacking.  For those who played RoN proper, you will recall the game was very sparse on sound effects.  You got no unit voices and pretty much had generic marching of boots or an industrial engine vroom.  Clicking on buildings had some rather so so audio feedback.  Not a strong suit for RoN I would say.  Although still an outstanding game.  RoL seems the same.  In some ways a bit worse as a lot of sounds were recylced and it bugs me to hear identical sounds reused.  If any game needed a sound mod, this would be it.  

Overall the sound is good, just sparse and at times rehashed.  The campaign missions do seem to have some kind of bug where gunfire and such sounds are suppressed and never come back once the narrator says something (I expect this to be addressed in a patch).

The campaign so far is very interesting and makes me even THAT much happier that it is neither a historical nor a dwarves and elves fantasy game.  Cool world, I hope they take it further.  And the intro rocks almost to TA or DoW levels.

In a semi related note.  I wanted to participate in the Octopus Overlord forum about RoL, but again the registration process has failed to send to my email account and will not let me try again from the same email account.  So I can't communicate there.  I know there is a HUGE amount of crossover between these forums.  Does anyone have a direct line or email that I could get to someone who could sort out my registration there?

Thanks, and hope my RoL input was helpful.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »

I'll put a linky up in the metaforums and see if I can get a OO Mod to contact you here

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
I'll put a linky up in the metaforums and see if I can get a OO Mod to contact you here

Which got my attention. unfortunately I can't PM yet or I would PM you.  I have activated your account. Make sure the e-mail address is accurate.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 12:03:49 AM »

Cuotl absolutely rock.

And really, I'm a horrible, horrible RTS player, but the easy AI setting makes me feel like a freakin' pro.  Easy?  More like retarded  :lol:

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 03:36:10 AM »

Any detailed impressions of single player?  It sounded pretty cool in dev interviews but the presentation in the demo seemed very week- voice acting was monotone, seemingly momentous events weren't staged with any type of dramatic flair, etc.  I love the world design in the game but I don't really play MP, so a strong single player is a must for me.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »

I broke down and bought it last night. Hopefully I will have some more impressions to post later tonight.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 05:25:48 PM »

Zero single-player played here - only skirmishes and battles with Calvin.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »

I bought it on Thursday (took me some time to 1) find it, 2) get it for the sale price.

Having said that, I'm enjoying it, I'm in the middle of the Alin campaign, and I've found the story to be pretty darned good. The use of FMV and in-engine cutscenes to tell the story are well done. So far my favorite race is Vinci, though I haven't touched the Coutl yet (waiting for them to come up in the story).

To address Kevin's concern about the dramatic flair...

The FMV sequences and the in-engine work helps a lot. The demo missions are missions lifted directly out of the Alin portion of the game and while it is good in terms of showing you what to expect, they don't show you the whole range of missions, for example, in the Vinci campaign, there's a jailbreak scenario that's pretty cool. And you miss out on the story elements that surround the missions to give you context to the statements.

In my opinion, it is well worth buying.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 07:03:50 PM »

Hearing complaints from people in the chatrooms in the actual game...I think many RoN-fans are buying the game and somewhat poo-pooing it because of the Warcraft 3-ization of the game.  

But as somebody who only enjoyed War3 and the original C&C (not a big fan of RTS games), I'm really having fun learning three entirely new races, mixing it up with different hero's / units, and the whole streamlined nature of the game.  RoN was entirely too large for me.  And it was boring.  RoL feels a lot like Warcraft 3, just a little slower, and a little larger.

TheMissingLink on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »

I'm liking it quite a bit.

I just finished one level where I was jumping from one battle to the next without much time to play the 'build your base' game.  I did very well, but had a lot of gold... so rather than conquering stuff I just purchased everything I came across!

I also like how you can pause the game and work on your base or whatever.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 04:55:10 PM »

This game is a blast!  I'm loving the whole atmosphere, the crazy units, the 3D camera controls.  It's just a whole lot of fun and seems relatively easy to learn, especially after playing Rise of Nations a lot in the past.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 05:28:14 PM »

P to pause, I was hitting the shit out of my spacebar to no effect. I'm enjoying it as well, though I've only played skirmishes against the pc.

Ascendent
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 06:10:53 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
P to pause, I was hitting the shit out of my spacebar to no effect. I'm enjoying it as well, though I've only played skirmishes against the pc.

You can rebind it to the spacebar.  That's what I did and it helped with my Baldur's Gate-era reflexes.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 08:27:08 PM »

It's good.  It's damn good.

At least skirmish is.  I haven't touched the campaign yet.

It's not RoN, though.  I'm as big a RoN-lover as everyone else, but Rise of Legends is substantially different.  Legends is faster and more focused.  It's also playable at the default speed, unlike Nations, which needed to be set at Slow, or preferably Very Slow, in order to keep all the strategic jugglings in the air.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

I'm hearing bad things about connectivity for mp.

Just Hiro will do.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 10:22:39 PM »

Weren't they supposed to have some kind of "conquer the world" online campaign?

I just started using the magic race (Alin?).  I haven't quite 'got' the concept of their units yet, but I've only done about three missions with them.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 12:54:31 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
I'm hearing bad things about connectivity for mp.

As am I, like anything above 2-players is super sketchy.  I've only played with Calvin and computer A.I. online, but in 10 matches we've had zero problems.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »

Quote from: "Earlier, I"
I am having fun with this game so far. However, it's *very* different from Rise of Nations and I would need more time before offering advice on whether or not I would take responsibility for convincing anyone else how to spend their money.

As promised, I've spent a great deal more time with the game and posted my full review here.  I'll be happy to expand on it here if anyone is interested....

-Autistic Angel
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 01:38:54 AM »

I am enjoying it so far.

The story is involving and the units are very interesting, nothing quite like them anywhere. Opening video right up there with Warhammer.

The concept reminds me a little of Arcanum, but comparison ends there.

Runs well on my dinosaur machine even at 1600x1200x32.

Byte me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: