http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rise of Legends Demo  (Read 2341 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »

Just finished playing the first mission in the campaign mode.

It feels very much like Rise of Nations, which is to be expected.  

Graphics are a mixed bag.  Units don't really stand out, they're kinda bland looking, but the buildings and animation are interesting and good.

It's very hero-centric.  The RTS mode feels like Age of Mythology mainly because of the story and hero units.

When you start the demo, it warns you about long load times and incomplete content.  It's true.  You can tell some sound effects are missing.  Even a cutscene had it's audio missing, it was just a fly over on things on the map.  Didn't make any sense and felt out of place.

It took me about a minute to load the first map.  I don't have a super fast computer, but I'd say above average.  

seems you can do more in the strategic map, but i didn't really fool around with it, because i had no idea what i was doing, and it was only the first level, but you can see there were more options

You can only play as Alin in this demo, (I'm not sure if you can play other sides in the skirmish mode)

The first map, was huge, it took a while for my units to get to one side to the other.  I can't imagine how big the maps will be the further you progress.
Also, you can't save in the RTS part, but in the strategic mode you can.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »

Does'nt work. Downloaded it..click it..says error reading initilization file.

Shrug.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
siege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »

Didn't work for me either. I'll wait for the non-alpha demo.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 12:29:27 AM »

OK.  I played the first scenario and my thoughts are...

I think I should like this game more than I do.  But I just don't.  At least not yet.  Why?  I don't know, because the overall interface is slick as hell, and the User Interface and onscreen shortcuts to do things are great.  Building units and structures is easy.  Resource gathering is a breeze.  Graphics (as long as you up the AA in the options) are really good, in a wierd sort of way.  I am almost positive it has to do with the combat, but don't ask me to put my finger on what doesn't feel right, because I just can't.  I really don't know what I was expecting, but I don't think it was this.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way saying the game stinks.  I need to play alot more to make any type of judgement.  I hope a few more people can get it to work to see what they think.  I need more play time with it.

I know, pretty shitty first impressions, but what can I say, if you put all the pieces together, I really think I should love it, but for some reason, I just don't.  I hope that changes.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 03:35:01 AM »

Play the quick battle mode.  You can be Vinci, and they are awsome.  I was giggiling like a little girl when I built the Doom Cannon right next to the poor shmucks base and followed up with the King Leviathen.  The only problem I had with them is their big fort building doesn't seem to fight back.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »

I suspect that their big fort building needs a garrison to fight back.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »

Updated Impressions

I played some over the weekend, mostly trying out the skirmish mode (quick battles).  Here are some very random thoughts...

1.  The graphics are growing on me.  They are pretty darn good actually.  I think the thing that sort of throws a wrench in them is that the demo is simply not optimized yet, and therefore the animations stutter often, and that is a killer for me.  I much prefer great animations to great unit graphics.  But the atmosphere, sandstorms, etc, are all well done.

2.  The maps are spacious.  In other words, even a "small" map is quite big, and I personally like this.  It reminds me of the size of what you would expect to see in a Total Annihilation map, as opposed to say, a Starcraft map.  I love spacious maps.

3.  I do not think this game is as similar to RoN as many others do.  It feels quite different to me.  It seems to play much "quicker" - more reminiscent of a game like Age of Mythology.  As you probably can guess, I do not like this as much.  Even lowering the game speed, I feel like the enemy is on your doorstep just too early.  Very different from RoN in that regard.  

4.  The camera zoom is horrendous.  Not mildly annoying, or somewhat bothersome; but downright horrendous.  Even clicking that little camera button on the buttom left doesn't give me the amount of zoom-out I would prefer.  This could be because the maps feel so big and the cities are so large though.  It seems to bother me less if out in the open during a battle, but I still HOPE they have an unlocking feature in the retail game.  (and yes, I am very picky with camera stuff, so this may not bother you at all.)

5.  The city upgrades are extremely cool.  The options you have on how you want to procede through the game almost remind me of a turn-based strategy game.  I really admire Brian Reynolds for how "deep" he tries to make his RTS games.  I applaud the direction he took with this.  My only concern is actually "learning" it all.  I would think, in theory, that this will only add to the longevity and diverseness of the game, so I see it as a big positive.

6.  The Hero Units.  I don't know how I feel about them yet, honestly.  They are customizable, which is good.  They are not Uber-Kill-Everything powerful, which is good.  They look and are animated very well, which is good.  My biggest concern is they are micro-managy  (is that a word?) in nature, and with all the other things you can micro-manage during intense battles, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.  I am leaning toward liking them, but I am not sure yet.  Now, the concept of them I really do like, don't get me wrong.  I need more time to evaluate this.

7.  The two sides available in the demo are very different.  I mean, they are VERY different.  I love this design decision.  

8.  Neutral map-sites to be conquered/taken over.  This reminds me of Warcraft 3 and creeps, a concept I will never ever get used to, nor like in the least.  

9.  Build new cities anywhere on the map.  Thank God!  I can see how having set points to do this in Age of Mythology and Kohan 2 made sense in those games, but I much prefer the freedom to build where I want, especially on maps as spacious as these.

10.  No peons to manage.  Thank you Brian Reynolds!

11.  Most small units come out in squads.  Thank you Brian Reynolds!

Overall, I STILL think I should like this game more than I do.  I find each individual design decision to be (for the most part) fantastic.  But there is still something that I just don't like.  I can not put my finger on it.  I guess I still need more time with it.  Also, I think alot of the things that bother me are personal things.  Others may look at all nitpicks I see as actually being positive things.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 12:53:20 PM »

I think a number of the buildings don't have firing animations. The Vinci Steam Fortress and Great Fort (or whatever it's called) seem to both suffer from this.

I've had a good deal of fun with the demo over the weekend. I'd like to know if random map generation is in the full version. Yes, there will be many more maps in retail, but even so... Also, I generally don't like RTS's that make you play with fixed expansion/city sites, but that mechanic didn't hurt Age of Mythology (though, didn't AoM have random maps?)

There's something about the game that puts me off. I can't put my finger on it, and the gameplay flows very nicely when your in it. Maybe I just miss my builder units?

Probably still a day 1 purchase for me, though I do think I'm slightly less excited about it now than before the demo. It wasn't what I was expecting.
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »

9. Build new cities anywhere on the map. Thank God! I can see how having set points to do this in Age of Mythology and Kohan 2 made sense in those games, but I much prefer the freedom to build where I want, especially on maps as spacious as these.

Wait, you can do that?  I must have played three or four quick battles and could never find that option.  I thought I saw the comp use it though.  I'd go play with it more but the demo makes my HD emit a very unhealthy sounding whine and scares me.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:06:58 PM »

Not only can you do it... but apparently it becomes a strategic decision to boot.  Case in point...

If you continue to build up your first city, you are paying much more gold in order to build additions.  The benefit is that the more additions you build in the same city, the better things you have access to (I think).  It is however cheaper to build a new bare city structure and then add to it.  This also caters to expansionists.  

In theory, this lets the "turtle" build up a huge base from which to manage his entire operation, and build a nasty defense around it.  However, this becomes an expensive proposition, and if he loses that one base, it's hasta-la-vista baby.

The expansionist guy will have to defend multiple fronts, and runs the risk of never really getting one base to it's full power.  But he has much more versatility with regards to launching attacks from different areas, replenishing his army quicker, and having a bigger bank account.  I would think the race you take could have an impact on this also.  

At least... I think this is what I read on how the whole thing works.  If I'm wrong, disregard my entire post.   Tongue

LD

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »

alright, I played this pretty extensively over the weekend, and I had no clue you could actually build a city.  The way I usually did it was buy one of them neutral sites.  It'll turn into a proper city once I do that, and I get some neutral cannon fodder too.

Just Hiro will do.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 06:31:58 PM »

I've been wrong before.  There is no telling if this is the 2nd time.  

biggrin

LD

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 07:33:17 PM »

ya, i don't think you can build a new city, you can capture other cities though
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 01:14:33 AM »

WISE FROM YOU (shallow) GWAVE!!1

Just played the new demo and I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.  Plunked down my preorder money and am definitely looking forward to next week.

I sort of miss the epic scale of Rise of Nations, on the other hand, Legends' tighter, more focused gameplay is quite good as well, and is probably friendlier to the multiplayer game, which I imagine/hope will be alot better than Nations'.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 11:21:01 AM »

Ebonstone resurrecting the thread reminded me I wanted to post I was wrong about my point #9.  You can't build cities anywhere.  They are like the Age of Mythology and Kohan 2 model instead.  I hate that, but oh well.  I'm sure it was design decision that BHG felt worked better.

I still play the demo from time to time, and everytime I do, I think I remember liking RoN much more than this game.  I still can't put my finger on why though.

LD

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »

New demo?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 02:52:28 PM »

Yes: Big Huge Games released an updated demo featuring some bug fixes, AI improvements, and I believe some engine optimizations as well.

-Autistic Angel
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 03:30:55 PM »

No, you can't build cities anywhere.  You have to conquer or purchase neutral cities.  However, you can build everything else anywhere on the map (well, I know the Alin can, the other two races might be restricted to their territory alone, I don't know).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 03:41:20 PM »

It runs better than the last demo, that's for damn sure.  

Not sure if it's for me though.  I need more time to ponder.

The city stuff really needs an "Auto place" for new districts.  Unless they already have one that I haven't been using.

Just Hiro will do.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »

Yep, one of the Alin advantages is being able to build 'barracks-type" buildings anywhere on the map.  This is actually a pretty cool advantage.  I'm not sure if this also includes defense buildings and such also, but if so, that would also be pretty cool.

Edit:  I don't follow the game enough (official forums, etc.) to know, but if anyone comes across anything that would hint that BHG is going to make it easy to unlock the camera for further zooming out, can you let me know please.

LD

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 03:51:23 PM »

AFAIK, they won't let you zoom out all that much in mp, as it'll be an unfair advantage.  But I think... I THINK, in sp they will.

Just Hiro will do.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
The city stuff really needs an "Auto place" for new districts.  Unless they already have one that I haven't been using.

I'm almost certain I saw something for that in the options.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 04:39:54 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "SuperHiro"

I'm almost certain I saw something for that in the options.

It is in the user options, click the button "auto place districts".

Based on the demo, this is my favorite RTS in years. I am absolutely in lust with this game.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »

Can't wait to sit down and play the new Demo tonight. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 04:24:54 PM »

Maybe you guyses can help me understand this.  When you play, are you expected to build a fairly balanced set of units, or is it best practice to essentially pick one thing of units and "go for it".  Like in Starcraft, generally in a game you'd have to pick between going air or going for Siege Tanks/Goliath.  Oh, you'd eventually have both units in the mix, but there'd be an emphasis ya dig?  I suppose it's the same with research, you can't get them all.

So like in RoL, you can build a good mix of units, but you only upgrade some. Am I getting across here?  With only three sides, I'd imagine this was how they'd do the "strategy", to add variety and shit.

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: