http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 10:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rise of Flight - Out tomorrow?  (Read 5228 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »

I noticed that GoGamer has this shipping on the 17th... $40...

That's pretty hard to resist.  Anyone else getting it?
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »

Rise of Flight... now I'm not one to usually start this, but the public needs to know. AFAIK, RoF is going to require a server check even when you play single player, each time you boot up the mission. Now, this may be hearsay, it's hard to say because all of the information is in Russian. Other forums have stated this, Wargamer.com, the OFF forums, among others. I do know that the box says "Internet Connection Required" which denotes something "Steam-esque."

Anyway, just an FYI, the DRM for this one looks a tad draconian.

Bael
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »

Is this available for direct download anywhere?
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 16, 2009, 09:26:07 PM

Is this available for direct download anywhere?

777 Studios (the US distributor) has said there will be a DD version...just no timetable yet. Also, the boxed version has been pushed back til the 29th of the month.

Quote from: baelthazar on June 16, 2009, 06:12:48 PM

AFAIK, RoF is going to require a server check even when you play single player, each time you boot up the mission.

I don't know the specifics on the DRM, how often it checks, what happens if you lose connection during a mission, etc, but I know this isn't just hearsay.  icon_confused

I'm sure the sim-junkie in me will be grabbing a copy in the next month even though there seems to be a few issues with RoF, because so much of it seems to be done very well.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »

I have been following the developement of this for over a year. Yes, even for the single player game you need to connect to the net at the start and be connected at the end to advance to the next mission. There seems to be a debate as to weather you can disconnect in the middle and reconnect before the end. I think you basicaly need to be connected the whole time. A deal breaker for some, I'm sure.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »

The sad thing is it will be hacked anyway and only paying customers will have to deal with this issue.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

So, how does it play? I'm extremely interested in WW1 dogfighting (must have played the 2 first Red Baron games each for years), but it seems this will be a quite limited game. Just a couple of airplanes modelled, and a couple of canned missions... Is that all?

Or is it really a full-blown simulation with action happening everywhere?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »

Umm...it's a flight sim....so DRM or not I'd definitely be awaiting reviews before I jump. As well, only being able to fly a Spad XIII or Fokker D VII makes me think I'm probably not in anyways.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »

Are there really only two flyable planes and no campaign?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »

What I've read lately is that there are about 5 planes you can fly right now and there is a campaign of sorts.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:54 PM »

No dynamic campaign but there is a linked series of canned missions. More planes will be released(for a fee-yet to be announced how much) as time goes on. I haven't played it yet because it's not out in the states but those that have say it's got the best physics ever by a wide margin. Pretty much the best graphics as well. # of planes doesn't really bother me as I would be unlikely to replay it 20 times just to fly a bunch of similar planes but I would like to try the triplane and some other famous ones.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »

If multiplayer is good, I'll be in regardless of number of planes.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 05:53:54 PM »

I'm less concerned about a dynamic campaign if it has a decent static one with a good number of missions, and you can play as both factions...

Also, I don't mind fewer planes, I guess, as long as the flying and fighting as good... hell the, last flight sim I bought has ONE helicopter, so...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »

I miss Longbow 1&2.

Man, that was some good simming back then.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »

Have you checked out DFS: Black Shark, Arclight?  If you liked Longbow...
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 22, 2009, 08:15:11 PM

Another MUST NOT BUY for me.  Black Shark has Starforce.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »

No, I haven't. Will look it up.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on June 22, 2009, 10:45:22 PM

Another MUST NOT BUY for me.  Black Shark has Starforce.

Get over it... starforce has been a non issue for like 4 years.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 23, 2009, 01:37:43 PM

No, I haven't. Will look it up.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 23, 2009, 04:39:21 PM

Get over it... starforce has been a non issue for like 4 years.

It hasn't been an issue because most publishers dropped the piece of shit.  I still refuse to support any product that incorporates it.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »

I'm very intrigued by Rise of Flight.  WW1 aircraft are just cool as hell.

I've also gotten very into helicopters lately and i'm interested in DCS now too. I'm just scared of a potentially killer learning curve on DCS with all the modern cockpit hardware.  It looks like more a job whereas Rise of Flight would just be sheer fun since it's focusing on simply aircraft that were just all about seat of the pants flying.

Flying realistic physics is easy for me, I've been flying radio control aircraft, and now helicopters, for 18 years, it's over complicated cockpit crap that kills simulators for me:(  I prefer having them simplified enough in the game to make it more about the flying and action than learning to fly the real thing's electronics.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:20:55 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 24, 2009, 04:17:39 PM

I'm just scared of a potentially killer learning curve on DCS with all the modern cockpit hardware.

You might be pleasantly surprised by Black Shark. Compared to western hardware, it's very simplified...granted, there is tons of functionality in the navigation systems, yet you barely need to scratch the surface of them to get the job done, and while the weapons systems are effective, they're quite basic. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

There is a steep learning curve to Black Shark, no doubt... but there are good tutorials, and an 'easy' mode if you prefer... I can't recall offhand how scaleable things are, but I was able to get around and do the missions after committing a couple of hours to learning it in real mode...
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 07:49:42 PM »

I picked up Rise of Flight and a Saitek Cyborg joystick yesterday (lost mine in my last move).  Found it at Frys for 40 bucks...bu it was the only copy i saw on the shelf, dunno if they had more and sold em or not.

Plan to install and check it out tonight.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on July 23, 2009, 07:49:42 PM

I picked up Rise of Flight and a Saitek Cyborg joystick yesterday (lost mine in my last move).  Found it at Frys for 40 bucks...bu it was the only copy i saw on the shelf, dunno if they had more and sold em or not.

Plan to install and check it out tonight.

Let us know what you think of it! I am kind of on a fence on this one. My biggest question, i guess, is - does it have a coop mode so that my friend and I could fight some AI? And how is the AI?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »

My ONLY hesitation is the length of the campaigns and quality of the missions and AI.  I'm really only interested in SP.

Oh, and I'm also interested in your computer spec and how it runs w/ what settings.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »

I'm sooo sooo tempted. Supposedly, a few folks are finding this at Walmarts now...and I have an old $50 gift card sitting around...and I pass by one on my way to rehearsal tonight.

It looks fantastic, the flight physics are being talked up on several forums, the dev is already releasing new aircraft for sale, but I have the same concerns as Kratz. SP is all I'd ever play unless co-op missions became a big hit. I never have enjoyed 'dog-fight' servers, but I do like co-op flying whether against AI or player opponents...love my wingmen! icon_smile

If I can find that gift card in the next hour, I guess I'm at least going to swing in to see if they have it....

Who am I foolin? I'm a sim-junkie! If they have it, I'll get it.  crybaby
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »

I just got in installed last night along with my new joystick and went through training mission one.

Granted i don't need the flight training, but it's good familiarization for the game and an opportunity to figure out settings and stuff...get it tweaked for you.

So far i'm unimpressed, but hey i just scratched the surface and i'm still tryin to get it setup the way i want control wise.  

Things that have frustrated me so far: "Options" on the main menu (accessed by hitting esc) simply doesn't work at all.  To set settings such as graphics you have to exit the game and launch settings from the game launcher.  Very frustrating since every game i've played since...Windows 95?...allowed me to adjust at least some options IN GAME.

My joystick calibration in game controllers checks out good but i really hate the feel of it on the aircraft so far...i'm totally unsure if that's just me though since it's been literally 3+ years since i played a flight sim.  I got out of them for lack of sims that were easily accessible for single player missions & campaigns but still had decently realistic flight.  So i very well may just need to reaquaint myself with the feel of a joystick....which i havn't used in 3+  years.

That said...so far i'm not seeing a way to adjust joystick sensitivity but i'm sure i'll get a chance Sunday to work on that some more and keep looking around.

Oh yea, and the manual sucks BALLS.  I MEAN BALLS!  Gimmie my Janes sims back...with nice ring bound manuals full of awesome info on the game and tactics...

I wanna kill someone over these shit manuals.

Sigh, So basically i havn't even tried a real single player mission yet...but i only had 2 hrs from start of install to mess with it.  It has lots of promise but already lost many points with menu options that don't even work/ aren't connected to anything causing major frustration.

You also MUST login online to play the game...you can't even get to a menu that allows anything but EXIT APPLICATION without logging in online....
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

Quick update:

I didn't find a copy last week, but I did order it from GoGamer last thursday because I saw they had free shipping on RoF. Surprisingly enough, the tracking info looks like it could arrive this afternoon depending on when it went through the cities main sorting facility.....not too bad for the USPS. Ca to SC over a weekend.

Anyways, I might get my take on it posted tonight. They have a new patch being released today or tomorrmow that includes fixes/improvements to a few things (full patch notes haven't released yet), so I may wait to see what that brings before giving an opinion.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »

Sounds good, i was busy all weekend so i'm gonna wait for this patch before continueing wtih teh training missions.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 04:41:23 AM »

OK, just some quick impressions through the training missions, a couple single missions, and one mission in a career. As a caveat, this is my first WWI flight sim, so I am really learning how to deal with these birds as I go.

Instrument panel? Where's my six-pack? It looks like a bunch of oddly placed gobbly gook to me!  icon_lol It took me a bit to figure out what was what, and it's not all that useful, but they almost have a steam-punk charm.

Where's the trim? Good god...be ready for some serious stick and rudder work with these birds. There will be zero hands off flying, which on a 45 minute long career mission means I end up with one hell of a tight grip...I may try and adjust the spring pressure on my stick to make this a bit more tolerable. I love to hand fly in all my other sims, and rarely use autopilot...but they also have trim. smile

Speaking of controls in general...the control mapper is not very well done and there is no way to adjust sensitivity/dead-zone on an individual axis. It took a lot of trial and error with both the launcher set-up as well as going into the mapping file to get things set. There is also no way to change controls, or graphics, or sound 'inside' the game. This stinks IMO and really makes tweaking way more time-consuming than it should be.

I like the training missions, they're put together pretty well and cover just enough of the basics to get you going. The voice acting is fair enough, but using Eddie Rickenbacker as your flight instructor gets two big thumbs up. During training, I found myself running out of gas on the very first mission...well at least that's what I thought it was. Once I realized where the temp gauge was, I also realized that I wasn't opening up the radiator when pushing hard, so I was seizing the engine. A quick read informed me that you could freeze the engine too, if you don't close the radiator during descents under minimal power.

FYI: Because the training missions have somewhat long intros and you may fail the mission, bringing the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen brings up the option to skip the briefings/demos and get right to the flying.

Flying...heh. These birds are under powered, lacking firepower, not very maneuverable, and have flat terrible visibility...but so is your opponent. Makes for some interesting fights though as energy conservation is a huge issue...no real turning and burning, no real boom and zoom, at least not like I'm use to. The theories still apply, but it's like mini slow-mo versions of WWII combat. Even though it's a far cry from what I'm accustomed with, the flying seems right. Even when damaged, it doesn't have a canned feel, and they generally react like what you'd expect. The stalls feel as good or better than any other sim before, you'll get a strong buffet, a bit of sink and she'll break...falling/spinning as it would in a real aircraft depending on where you had the controls. Stall recovery is how it should be.

Single missions are quick fights with air starts...not many options on fight types and no adjusts to the time of day or weather that I've found. Good to jump right in and start blasting. The AI seems to handle it's tasks well, but they seem to get tunnel vision. If they get started on an attack run, they will follow through even if you're on their ass filling it full of hot lead. That said, I've only engaged in two dogfights, so I think it's too early to pass judgment on the AI yet.

Career isn't much to talk about considering I've only flow the one mission, but I do have a gripe...more statistics please. I was lucky to get a kill, but I have no info on what it was...just that I got one. I know from reading, that the career missions really don't have any bearing on each other, but I also know that the devs realize that it's lacking and is planning to improve it.

The online activation/requirement to play...zero issues. Fast, painless, and past the initial log on screen, it's non-obtrusive. Granted, the first time the log-in server goes out or my own connection goes down...I won't be happy about it.

Graphically...pretty fantastic! The shadows moving across the wings and cockpit, the glint of the sun off of wings, the clouds are the best yet, the aircraft models are all good stuff. Hell...you can even watch the valves/rockers tick away on the inline engine of the Fokker. Lot's of little details on the aircraft. The terrain is very nice at altitude, but it does suffer from a bit of squirm and jaggies in the mid-range at low altitudes. Here are a couple of pics to show what I mean...

You can see where the terrain gets a bit odd about half-way to the horizon.

But with some space between you and mother earth...Wow. eek Coloring is good and no tiling to speak off.

Hmm...this is a bit more long winded than I intended. icon_razz

Anyways...I couldn't call it a 'must have', but I think it could be with a bit of TLC from the devs on the settings menus and the career mode.  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:53:04 AM by Booner » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

Thanks for the impressions... sounds like maybe a wait for the patch kind of game.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »

Had a chance to play any more, Booner?
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 12:47:29 AM »

I sure have....just got finished running a couple missions in a new career with a new plane that fits my style a bit better, and need a break after 2 solid missions. I'm fairing much better in the Albatross that I did in the Fokker...I wouldn't say the Albatross is a better 'fighter' off hand, but it seems easier to hand-fly as well as having better visibility due to the high wing sitting much lower. Just compare this shot with the cockpit shot from the Fokker above...

I can see! It's spartan as hell with gauges only for fuel, RPM, as well as a compass...but it has a decent roll rate that makes it at least seem more nimble than the others.

Anyways...they've released two patches this week as well as offering up a couple of new aircraft for sale (total of 7). I've barely scratched the surface on the four planes that come with the package, so I'm not ready to fork out $8 for anything new yet.

The patches improved the AI as a whole...they behave much more human. Formation flying isn't perfect 'V's anymore, everyone wobbles a bit so it looks much more natural. They have stopped having such one track minds and  are more likely to take a defensive posture if you pop 'em a couple times. The fights feel really good now. It's really cool to watch the AI push the plane to the brink and sometimes coming out of it gracfully, sometimes not...like me.  icon_smile

Though I found a new complaint...friggin' two-seaters are nasty! I've given up on trying to take anything down that has a gunner in the rear...they're dead-eye shots and will tear you a new one if they see you coming. If you can get a lucky kill shot from the front hemisphere, you may take one down...just don't get anywhere near the rear.

They've also made some minor improvements to the GUI, nothing spectacular, yet user friendly. They've also improved the in-flight map a good bit, so I find myself using it a good bit.

They still haven't addressed my biggest gripes (controller set-up and a better career mode), but once I get in and start flying, I enjoy it. I hate to sound cliche, but it has a lot of potential...and if they continue to keep addressing issues/community suggestions as quick as they seem to be, it should be in really good shape soon.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 03:45:04 AM »

Cool. Tomorrow is my birthday, and the TrackIR 5/Rise of Flight package at GoGamer is super, super tempting as a little birthday fun.  I've been wanting TrackIR forever anyway, and basically getting ROF for $10?  Seems like a no brainer almost.

Good to see they are updating it.

Is there no sort of autopilot/time acceleration?  Do you have to actually fly the whole mission?
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 04:09:26 AM »

Oh yeah, if you don't have TIR already, that's a damn good deal. I couldn't imagine simming without mine anymore...TIR is a must have to me. If you've never fooled with one, it'll take a couple hours to get used to moving your head and not your eyes to 'look', but you'll feel the same way once you do. No more clumsy hat switch or off hand mousing, just tracking something with your head as you really would. I just can't say enough about what a fantastic tool it is.

As to AP/Time Accel...yes to both. You just have to make sure that you check the AP box on the mission setting screen...it'll stay set for each mode, but you have the option to change it at the start of each mission.

Time accel only goes to 8x, and at the less than blistering speed..it's still takes a bit to get places. You do have the option in career mode where you can chose you length of mission (instant air-start, short, med, long) for each flight. I usually take short missions, and they last around 35-45 min, where the mediums take right around an hour.

I've only ordered a few things from GoGamer, but they've always had the package out quick.

Anyways..Happy Birthday! thumbsup

Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 04:31:23 AM »

I can't say enough great things about the TrackIR unit.

Booner captured it pretty well: it will change the way you play simulations for good and if you play much at all it is worth it.

R
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »

really wish I could afford a trackIR, it took me selling all my extra 360 games just to get the game itself.

Is there any easy way for us to hook up for multiplayer?  I'm on Xfire but didn't know if there was an in-game network option.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »

Yeah, I've been flirting with the idea of TrackIR forever... I *struggled* with DCS Black Shark since the targeting really requires look precision to use the targeting system... trying to get things stable and then using the mouse sucked.

I think I'm going to do this.

I had gotten the impression somewhere that there was no AP/acceleration, but if there is... I'm down.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »

Hey, do I need the trackclip pro?  Does anyone have that?  How is it an improvement over whatever comes w/ the trackir?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: