http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 07:40:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riddick PC gets 9.3 @ Gamespot! Higher than HL2 oh my....  (Read 4655 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2004, 03:22:52 AM »

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/chroniclesofriddick/review.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 03:47:43 AM »

Yeah, I poster similarly on OO earlier.  I got so hyped I went out and laid down my $29.99 tonight.  Installing as I type.  I'll try to drop some impressions later on tonight.  Nice pricepoint for a quality game.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 04:41:49 AM »

chances are they bought the review...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 05:36:30 AM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"
Yeah, I poster similarly on OO earlier.  I got so hyped I went out and laid down my $29.99 tonight.  Installing as I type.  I'll try to drop some impressions later on tonight.  Nice pricepoint for a quality game.

It's a great game, I played and finished it on the xbox. It doesn't touch HL2, though, IMO.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 05:59:15 AM »

I think it's a great game with some issues. I LOVED the game for about 85% of the time, but there's one particular section a good bit later on in the game that I was really disappointed by. There's a couple of enemies that I just thought were really lame, and the fact that I didn't like them from the minute I saw them didn't help that they killed me over and over.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 06:58:33 AM »

Crossposted from OO:

I'm gonna go ahead and give this a "Wow"!

As noted above the box doesn't even approach passing a lift test so whatever.

The game is gritty and atmospheric to no end. Graphically, I'd say HL2>Riddick>Doom3. Riddick's indoor environments actually look better than HL2 IMO but nothing can beat HL2's outdoor stuff. Also the faces just aren't up to Source caliber though they come close. Riddick uses WAY more shaders than HL2 in Dx8 mode and its lovely.

Audio is outstanding and makes terrific use of 5.1, Voice acting is mostly spot on (Quite a few F-bombs though so hide the kiddies). The story is compelling, I started it up "just for a test" and 2 hours went by in a blink. Really my only compunction is that its gonna be over too soon. Even a couple hours in I can feel the ending on its way. But Max Payne 2 had that issue also and its still one of my favorite action narratives. For my $30 I'd rather get a completely enjoyable 10 hours than 20-30 drawn out repetative ones.

Honestly I would have given this game a hard pass if it wasn't for Greg K. absolutely praising it, but he didn't let me down. I guess one last thing worth mentioning... If you don't like Vin Diesel don't bother, you'll be looking at him A LOT.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 07:04:42 AM »

You know that feeling you're getting of the ending being on it's way a couple of hours in? Yeah.. I had that feeling too. And then the game somehow plugged about 11 more hours in there. It was never just filler either.

The game has some pretty good surprises to it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 03:15:39 PM »

My first bit o' fun came from going through the options, setting up the game. That big-spinning-metal-tinkling-cube-thing was cool all by itself!  :lol:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 08:56:13 PM »

Quote from: "MonkeyFinger"
My first bit o' fun came from going through the options, setting up the game. That big-spinning-metal-tinkling-cube-thing was cool all by itself!  :lol:

This game gets the award for "Sweetest Menus" for sure.  

Played about 2 more hours last night, and the plot did rather renew so  Thin_J was right about the 2 hours in dread, but now I have a 4-5 hours in dread that I don't want this to end anytime soon.  The game is crazy fun.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »

I played the game on the XBOX and enjoyed it alot. It gave a nice tie-in to the movies and gave some good background on Riddick. I love the fact that used the same actor as the cop in Pitch Black.

I do have a question. If anyone has played the Xbox version and now the PC version, are there any improvements??

Just wondering...

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 02:09:28 AM »

I imagine the graphics are going to be better due to higher resolutions.

I played a bit of it on the X-Box and I thought it was pretty cool, but I only had access to the game for a day or so and didn't have the time to do a marathon session to finish it.  Now that it's out for the PC I am going to grab it if I can find it on sale for 20 bucks (Maybe GoGamer will have a special).  I know the actual game is about 10 hours long, and with no multiplayer and probably little replay value  I can't see myself paying anymore than that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 02:33:22 AM »

CeeKay, don't know what your threshold is but at least two chains have it on sale for $24.99 this week (Best Buy and CompUSA I think).
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 03:05:07 AM »

As to what was added to the PC version other than the higher resolution graphics, this is from the game's official site:

The best of the Xbox plus new Developer's Cut features including:
    Player controlled Riot Guard - get in and attack
    Two NEW areas packed with high-action gameplay
    New enemies including inmates with body armor and other defensive equipment
    Exclusive "Developer's Commentary" allow players to hear what the developer of the game has to say

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 03:37:38 AM »

It was fun on the XBox, but quite honestly can't hold a candle to Half-Life 2 or even Far Cry.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 04:43:59 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
It's a great game, I played and finished it on the xbox. It doesn't touch HL2, though, IMO.

I concur. To update the "greater than" game listing above:

HL2>Riddick>RTCW>Duck Hunt(nes)>C:\>Doom3

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 05:40:19 AM »

I'm hoping to get this one for Christmas.  I had it on Xbox and ultimately traded it back in once I was only halfway done.  The graphics were a bit too low-res, it was way too easy to accidentally duck while engaging in melee combat, the autosave was unintuitive, load times were long, and the controls weren't very precise.  All of these issues should be rectified with the PC version.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 04:32:21 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

I concur. To update the "greater than" game listing above:

HL2>Riddick>RTCW>Duck Hunt(nes)>C:\>Doom3

I think you're selling Duck Hunter short.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 06:11:57 PM »

well, thanks guys.  because of this post, i went out and grabbed yet another game.  my wife would be frowning right now.  

anyways, it is a great looking game, although i seem to have a lot of lags/hanging operation moments.  if i toggle "night vision" on and off really quick, it causes the game to stop for a few seconds.  i usually alt-tab out and back and it works fine, but it is annoying.  had 1 ctd and one major graphical glitch requiring a restart.  the game could have used a little more time in QA, but all this aside, it's quite fun and looks great.

i like the bruises people get in a hand-to-hand fight and using a person's weapons against them.  it's also cool when you time your hit just right and stab someone in the side with the shiv, ending the fight in a single hit instead of wailing away on them.  

if there was one thing i really don't care for, it would be the save system.  sure, it saves at the beginning of a "chapter" and checkpoints along the way, but towards the end of a chapter, if you need to revert back, you're left with restarting the whole sequence over again.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 06:46:38 PM »

Duck Hunt is way better than RTCW.  The replayability is almost unmatched and you actually got to hold the gun. RTCW SP was weak, the only thing it had going for it was quickly outdated graphics.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 08:36:49 PM »

I just played the riotguard part last night.  Whoa daddy.  Maybe a tad too easy, but I'll reserve judgement for when I play through on 'Hard'.  Fun Stuff, Sick Graphics.

Caine, I have not had a single technical glitch with this game after about 6 hours of play aside from the seams in some of the models up close.  Thats on P4 2.4, 1gb Ram, GFFX 5950.  What are your system specs?
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 01:54:22 AM »

I took my unplayed Xbox Riddick to Gamestop today to trade it in towards the PC version. The cheap bastards offered me only $5 for it so I said F*CK DAT NOIZE! I'll give it to my friend Mike and tell him to buy me two beers next time we're out and I'll come out ahead.

Anyway, I just spent the last seventeen hours installing all 5 discs while blowing my nose into the paper sleeves and taking a dump in the otherwise empty cardboard box. But for a $29.99 new release, I'm not complaining. (Except about the paper sleeves. And the number of discs.)

GAME ON!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 03:34:59 AM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"

Caine, I have not had a single technical glitch with this game after about 6 hours of play aside from the seams in some of the models up close.  Thats on P4 2.4, 1gb Ram, GFFX 5950.  What are your system specs?

athlon xp 2.8
9700pro 128
1 gb pc 3200

i haven't upped the drivers yet, so that's probably the reason.  i'll check that out and see if i still have problems.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 05:35:52 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"
i haven't upped the drivers yet, so that's probably the reason.  i'll check that out and see if i still have problems.

Roger That.  guru3d.com is your friend.  :wink:
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 08:30:39 PM »

$24.95 at CompUSA.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315241&pfp=SEARCH

How good is it to other games? For 24.95 I just might give it a try.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »

Quote from: "UsulofDoom"
$24.95 at CompUSA.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315241&pfp=SEARCH

How good is it to other games? For 24.95 I just might give it a try.

it's $24.99 at BestBuy this week as well.  i'd be picking it up if it weren't for the fact that i really shouldn't be spending more money on myself so close to christmas...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Programmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 09:09:25 PM »

Got Riddick for Christmas last night (I'm in a different holiday timezone from the rest of the world) and... WOW! Like many others, I'm really more impressed than I expected to be. Graphics are beautiful, the setting is intriguing, and the sense of immersion is perhaps even higher than Half-Life 2, which I absolutely love.

The way your character moves has a real feeling of momentum and weight, and catching glimpses of your own body and the shadows it casts really makes it feel like you're inhabiting another body (in a good, non-creepy way).

It's a bit more of a resource-hog than HL2, but still plays nicely at 1280x960 with max details on my 9700 Pro/Athlon XP 2800+/768MB RAM system. Sadly, my PC can't handle anti-aliasing at that resolution, but unlike HL2, I hardly notice the jaggies without it.

Half-Life 2 definitely feels more epic and ambitious, but Riddick (so far, only an hour in) is a nice change of pace and is shaping up to be my 2nd favorite game of the year.

Anyone who likes first-person action games would be very silly not to pick this up.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2004, 11:44:00 PM »

Thanks for all the positive feedback on this game.  There is no way I would have ever purchased this movie based console port if it wasn't for you guys.  I will definately be picking this up before the end of the year.  I will let you all know what I think.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2004, 12:52:53 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised by this game.  I hadn't seen any of the movies, but it got good buzz on the Xbox so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It didn't take too long to finish it but I am not at all dissapointed.  It hooked me so I played it non-stop during my spare time over two days.

If nothing else it made me more interested in the character.  Watching the intro video and the video after the credits (make sure to watch them all the way through) has me wondering just how "bad" he is and what he did.

The graphics are pretty good, but not as mind-blowing as I expected based on the reviews.  The hand-to-hand was certainly among the best I have seen implemented in a FPS game.  Running around Butcher Bay, I always felt I was just on the verge of getting lost, but I always made it.  I did miss a few things by not getting back in, but I didn't figure out how to do that.

I thought one of the vehicles you get to drive was hilarious when I was struggling to pilot it.  Something along the lines of reccomending you turn off the computre assistance because you are obviously not listening anyway was classic.

Oh, and the commentary is a nice touch.  If I go through it again I will definately play it with this option turned on.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2005, 01:22:56 PM »

Any way to unlock the commentary mode without beating the game?  I beat it on the Xbox and not sure I want to play it 3 times to go through the director's comments.  Any cheats out there?  

If not, I guess I will return it.  I thought the commentary mode was something you could choose from the get-go when I bought it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »

Gamefaqs is your friend.   ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2005, 04:17:31 PM »

This game was so good. It was one of the best games Ive played in the last 5 years. It was a simply awesome experience. I could not stop playing this game, it sucked me in. I didnt care much for the extra stuff, the game play was enough honestly.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »

I'd like to play this as it sounds pretty fun.  I've only seen Pitch Black.  Should I watch the Riddick movie before I delve into the game?
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »

I dont think thats neccessary. There are a few hints in there about things in the Chronicles of Riddick, but most of the information relates to Pitch Black. This is the story before Pitch Black.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2005, 12:09:11 AM »

I've not seen either movie but still enjoyed the game.  I might check them out now that I am more curious about why he is feared and wtf the intro/outro meant.  That and to maybe see more of that Johns fellow.

I'm sure it would help flesh thing out a bit, but I didn't feel I was missing anything having not seen them.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2005, 04:43:18 PM »

Exactly, thats what I meant. The movies will give you more information about Riddick and Johns and they adventures, but it will not affect how you like the game.
Happy playing with this one, it is worth it.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 12:08:41 AM »

I'd still like to hear more from those who beat the game on the Xbox as to whether it is worth it to go through it on the pc.  Maybe there is just not being said regarding that becuz hardly anyone who played it on Xbox would bother buying it again.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 05:29:56 PM »

I beat it on Xbox and loved every minute of it. I would not buy another copy for the PC, but thats because I still have my copy on Xbox, its going to be the same game, just with better graphics. The graphics will be nice to see, but i dont think that will warrant me buying it again.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 07:08:27 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'd like to play this as it sounds pretty fun.  I've only seen Pitch Black.  Should I watch the Riddick movie before I delve into the game?
The game's much better than the movie.

MUCH better.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: