http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:53:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riddick : Dark Athena stuff.update 4/8/09  (Read 5301 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:49:13 PM »

Some of these modes sound way cool. Pitch Black and Butcher Bay Riots the best.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44124/Chronicles-of-Riddick-Assault-on-Dark-Athena-Multiplayer-Modes-Revealed

Butcher Bay Riot – 12 players split up into teams of Guards, Prisoners and Mercenaries. There is one powercell in the level. Capture the powercell and return it to the capture point in the opposing teams base to win the round (match can be won with 3 or 5 rounds depending on settings). Players buy weapons before the round starts. Winning rewards them with more cash, as does killing the opposing players. All weapons can be purchased. All maps support 12 players.

Pitch Black – Play as one of five Mercenaries and hunt down Riddick. When you kill Riddick you become him. All levels are sheathed in darkness, with only weapons’ flashlights to see by. Riddick starts in the darkness, the Mercenaries start in a lit room containing shotguns, SMG’s and Assault Rifles. Drop into the darkness to hunt down Riddick. Riddick is armed with the Ulaks and his unique nightvision/eyeshine. The more powerful the Mercenaries weapons, the lower the power of the flashlight. 6 Players on all maps.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:18:27 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »

Don't know if I will ever do the multi, but this is a day one purchase for me.  Loooooooooooooooved the first.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »

This wasn't even a blip on my radar...now I really want to get it smile

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »

Woah, that sounds like a blast...

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

Pitch Black sounds really cool.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:53 PM »

3 new videos

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44352/The-Chronicles-of-Riddick-Assault-on-Dark-Athena-Gameplay-Movies

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 30, 2009, 09:14:53 PM

Thanks Daehawk smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 12:07:02 AM »

The only problem I have with Hunter/Hunted modes like Pitch Black, is that developers always take the short sighted approach of making the person who kills the "Hunter" always become him.  The problem here is this means the good players will always become the hunter, while new players, or less skilled players well never get a turn unless he gets really lucky.  Then because of that, those other players can't learn how to play the Hunter, don't improve their skills as quickly, and generally come away from such a mode feeling bad.

Making it so that the hunter selection is either completely random, or has a weighted random chance (weighted towards both those who did the most damage, and those who haven't gotten a turn) makes it so that everyone eventually gets a turn.  Then on top of that it can encourage a bit more teamwork between the Hunted players, making it more challenging to the Hunter.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »

Another new video HERE

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »

Saw this on the shelf at Gamestop last night. 

soo apparantly it's a complete remake of Butcher Bay plus multiplayer and then some new content.

Anyone know how much new content there is?   Sequal sized or expansion sized?

I'm intrigued but proabably not at full price if there is not a ton of new stuff.  Multiplayer loos interesting I suppose but i have my doubts on server populations.

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:50:42 AM »

The Dark Athena campaign is supposed to be about equal to the original Escape From Butcher Bay, so say 8-10 hours of new singleplayer stuff or so.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

IGN slapped together a side-by-side comparison video showing the first six minutes from The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena's Escape From Butcher Bay campaign, as seen today, next to the same segment from the original version, released five years ago:

Video comparison

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 02:32:54 AM »

The only thing that video did was make me realize how good the original game looked 5 years ago.  The new one looks better, but it isn't "OMG" better.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 03:51:25 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 09, 2009, 02:32:54 AM

The only thing that video did was make me realize how good the original game looked 5 years ago.  The new one looks better, but it isn't "OMG" better.

yeah, I am surprised how well the 2004 version has held up.  still, I played the demo for Dark Athena on the 360 and was not wowed by it so I'm going to wait for a price drop or two.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 04:13:42 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 08, 2009, 06:19:06 PM

IGN slapped together a side-by-side comparison video showing the first six minutes from The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena's Escape From Butcher Bay campaign, as seen today, next to the same segment from the original version, released five years ago:

Video comparison

Interesting how the page says the comparison is for the PC version and yet for the first conversation option that comes up ("Talk to Barber") it shows a green triangle to initiate the conversation on the 2009 side.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:18:52 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 09, 2009, 04:13:42 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on April 08, 2009, 06:19:06 PM

Video comparison

Interesting how the page says the comparison is for the PC version and yet for the first conversation option that comes up ("Talk to Barber") it shows a green triangle to initiate the conversation on the 2009 side.  icon_confused

I noticed that too.  maybe they were using a 360 controller for the PC version.  I forget which game it was (maybe Tomb Raider Anniversary) but I used one for it and the prompts changed to match the controller buttons.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:31:15 AM »

Yet more dumb shit from the dumb shits in charge. Go ahead you asshats..go ahead and try to kill PC gaming.

Garret wrote in with some concerns about the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena:

You may or may not know, but the recent release of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena on the PC has a form of DRM that allows for only 3 installs, with no chance of recovery. Essentially, once you've installed the game 3 times, you better just throw your disc out, or go buy another copy to get another 3 installs and continue to process. As you can imagine, this move is simply crazy and is actually, illegal. Gamers are not warned on the PC box of any such restrictions or form of DRM. They are paying to be able to play the game whenever, however many times they want. They are paying for a full license, not a rental. I would like to forward you to two forum threads which are starting the complaint against ATARI. I would hope you could report this to show people ATARI's bad business practice and force them to fix this restriction.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=658
    http://forum.starbreeze.com/viewtopic.php?id=643

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »

Yeah, I read that - more fucking useless DRM kills yet another game. Gotta love it when the pirates have a better copy once again, no?

And the Amazon anti-DRM crew is at it again. That horrid 1 star rating has got to kill sales, no?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

Ugg, scratch that game then.  Plenty of other stuff out there.

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »

Cant get the game to run in Win 7. Says I need a TAGES driver then it says it errored or failed or something and the game wont start.

EDIT: Grabbed TAGES off thr net..problem solved right?..NOT..now it says I need to be administrator to play it.. W T F? Im starting to wonder about this Win 7. How do I be Admin to run a game? I thought I was Admin since Im the only user.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:43:09 PM by Daehawk » Logged

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 21, 2010, 11:36:24 PM

EDIT: Grabbed TAGES off thr net..problem solved right?..NOT..now it says I need to be administrator to play it.. W T F? Im starting to wonder about this Win 7. How do I be Admin to run a game? I thought I was Admin since Im the only user.

Right click... Run as Administrator

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »

if you have the 64 bit version of win7 running, make sure you grab the 64 bit tages drivers.  i had a similar problem with bg&e. 

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:37 AM »

If you then get an issue about install #s exceeded due to trying to install it over and over email tages. I had issues installing Clear Sky on my old system (something about mobo preventing tages install). Even though my installs failed I had gone over my install limit. Emailed tages and they got it reset fairly quickly (Quicker than gamersgate response who I got the game from [Was unsure of install issue so contacted both after some googlefu]).

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 01:36:51 AM »

I thought Win 7 was supposed to be easier.

Is TAGES part of Windows or just certain games?

I got it installed and the game started. I'll have to remember to right click next time it happens though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: