http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:54:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revolution Specs on IGN - Less Powerful than the Xbox 1  (Read 5020 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:45:33 AM »

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU, admittedly a different architecture altogether, was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.

Revolution's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube's GPU ran at 162MHz, while the GPU on the original Xbox was clocked at 233MHz. Sources we spoke with suggest that it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shader features, as has been speculated.

The overall system memory numbers we reported last December have not greatly fluctuated, but new clarifications have surfaced. Revolution will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM not counting the GPU's on-board 3MBs. The original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

It is not known if the 14MBs of extra D-RAM we reported on last December are in the current Revolution specifications.

Well that's it. That controller isn't going to save this system. It's basicly less powerful than the original XBox, let alone the 360 or PS3.

Of course, the jokes are already starting...

http://revolutionamcry.ytmnd.com/

http://gamecubeturbo.ytmnd.com/

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:50:02 AM »

I'll still buy it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 03:51:46 AM »

If I buy a Revolution, it won't be for its graphical power but rather for its innovative games and gameplay mechanics. It's the same reason I dig the DS more than the PSP.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:56:54 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
If I buy a Revolution, it's not for it's graphical power but for it's innovative games and gameplay mechanics. It's the same reason I dig the DS more than the PSP.

Yes, but a handheld system can get away with sub-par graphics at this stage. In a home setting though, where more and more people have HDTV's, people are not going to want to play on a system that looks bad. The Revolution will not do any kind of HD. It will not have as much memory as a Xbox 1 and be clocked slower. Nintendo just doesn't have the kind of clout they used to have, thanks to the poor showing of the Gamecube. They are in very big danger of being steamrolled by MS and Sony and I don't think a gadget remote control is going to save them....especially if all the games look like crap compared to games on the PS3/Xbox 360.

I mean, if people didn't care about graphics, we would all still be playing on our PS1's and N64's.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 04:00:57 AM »

I'll probably buy it as long as it's priced accordingly and there's some good games for it.  I don't see myself having a huge library of Revolution games, but I'm sure there'll be a few gems.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 04:21:37 AM »

Hetz, you are to Revolution threads what LE is to Oblivion threads...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 04:29:43 AM »

I think the comparison to the DS/PSP war is a good one.  Looking at the specs I wouldn't think I would be playing the DS much more, but I do.  It's about the games and execution.  That being said I think the Revolution will get steamrolled by the PS3 if they launch around the same time.  That is unless Sony FUBAR's the launch.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 04:41:23 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I mean, if people didn't care about graphics, we would all still be playing on our PS1's and N64's.

I still haven't seen anything from 360 and PS3 that changes my belief that the PSX/N64 jump to PS2/Cube/Xbox was much greater than what we are seeing now.  With the last generation we were finally to the point where good art and production design could become more important than the base graphics technology.  Even after playing games on the 360 I can go back and play a 2003 game like Sands of Time and still be stunned by the visuals which isn't something I think I could say about playing a 1998 game in 2001.  I see some of the shots from Valkyrie Profile 2, Rogue Galaxy, and FFXII and I'm salivating over them just as much as Gears of War or Metal Gear Solid 4.  

If the Revolution can put out Resident Evil 4 caliber graphics at 480p and offer a cheaper and perhaps more innovative gameplay experience in the process then I don't think technology will be a hurdle to public acceptance.
Queequeg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 04:44:12 AM »

*Shrug* This is the only "next-gen" console I will be picking up at release. In all honesty, HD graphics don't really mean much to me. The 360 is hashing out the same genres and tired re-treads we've seen in the last generation of consoles. I have no doubt the PS3 will do much the same. The Revo and the controller at the very least will bring something new to the table. Besides, GC games still look good to me. (Yes, I do own an HDTV.) I look to Nintendo for excellent gameplay. They may not have the largest quantity of releases or third party support but the quality - especially of their first party games - is unsurpassed. I can live with fewer better made, innovative, fun games.  The DS has become my main gaming outlet primarily because of the quality of the games and the unique gameplay the system brings.

Graphic Whores and kiddies who want to play Halo version X are not the target audience of the Revo. I'm sure it will do just fine without them.

Hetz - People still do play their PS1s and N64s  biggrin There are great games on both systems. Just because they aren't running on dual core HD systems doesn't make them any less good. And with the Revo's virtual console, we'll be able to go back and play most of the great N64 games.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 04:46:53 AM »

Sounds like they are going to heavily lean on the GPU of the vid card for the graphics side.  Its not gonna be pretty, but we'll see what its gonna cost soon.  I bet it hits at a slightly higher price than a handheld.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 04:50:31 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
If I buy a Revolution, it's not for it's graphical power but for it's innovative games and gameplay mechanics. It's the same reason I dig the DS more than the PSP.

Yes, but a handheld system can get away with sub-par graphics at this stage. In a home setting though, where more and more people have HDTV's, people are not going to want to play on a system that looks bad. The Revolution will not do any kind of HD. It will not have as much memory as a Xbox 1 and be clocked slower. Nintendo just doesn't have the kind of clout they used to have, thanks to the poor showing of the Gamecube. They are in very big danger of being steamrolled by MS and Sony and I don't think a gadget remote control is going to save them....especially if all the games look like crap compared to games on the PS3/Xbox 360.

I read the story on the specs elsewhere and thought "I wonder if Hetz has started a topic on this already?"  Damn I'm good.   Tongue

You (and probably me as well) are very far from Nintendo's target audience with the Revolution.  I really don't think they care what hardcore gamers think about the system, the specs or the controller.  They've made it very clear that they are not intending to compete directly with either Microsoft or Sony on hardware/specs.

It's interesting that you presume they are going to get steamrolled by Microsoft and Sony.  It actually sounds like they are targeting a different demographic and letting MS and Sony duke it out.  That seems pretty smart to me yet you and others seem to focus on the "OMGWTFGCGRAPHIX<XBOXESLOL" sentiment.

I'm sure I'll buy it as it seems like it will provide a different experience.  If I want amazing graphics I can get a 360, a PS3 or even play on my computer.

It's a big risk and I hope it works out for them.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 05:53:48 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
I'll still buy it.

As will I. Day one purchase, definitely.

Will the games look as good as on the 360? Doubt it. But it's more than worth it for all the 'exclusive' titles, as well as to see what the developers do with that controller.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 06:03:46 AM »

It appears they're gonna market a less speedy Xbox 1 smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 06:04:59 AM »

I would have said the same thing about the DS versus PSP as far as innovation and great games go (though the PSP has all of a sudden received some great, great games), but Hetz makes a good point about it looking ugly on the widescreen HDTV (or even on the standard TV).  I'm really suprised that they're THAT far behind the next gen curve.

That said, keep in mind that the Revolution will likely be selling for less than half the price of the 360 (and less than 1/5 of the PS3, if rumors are to be believed).  In that price range, people won't be expecting a lot.  However, for those of us with more than one system, it's not going to be very tempting to keep coming back to the Revolution.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 06:21:53 AM »

The hardcore gamers dissing the system just don't get it. There's a massive audience out there who have zero interest in games like GRAW, Gears of War, or even the MGS series.

I put myself in that hardcore crowd who looks forward to the games I listed, but I can also realize I'm part of one segment of the market. I wonder if we went back to the archives here the posts we could get dissing the DS left and right when it was announced. What happened? It has sold very well and they currently can't make the new Lite version fast enough just for the Japanese market.

If the price is low(which I'm sure it will be), and the games can deliver(thats the big question mark here), then I can see the system doing fine.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
I would have said the same thing about the DS versus PSP as far as innovation and great games go (though the PSP has all of a sudden received some great, great games), but Hetz makes a good point about it looking ugly on the widescreen HDTV (or even on the standard TV).  I'm really suprised that they're THAT far behind the next gen curve.

Supporting HDTV is a huge processor intensive task.  Imagine the type of graphics we would be getting on PCs if 640x480 was the max resolution you needed to support.  To support HDTV with the current Revolution specs would require actually regressing the graphics in most games.  Remember, 720p and 1080i support wasn't exactly common on the original Xbox.  Even a separate scaling unit like the 360 and PS3 uses would add considerably to the cost of Revo.  

I think Nintendo might be on the right track with the "budget" console in a way that didn't work for them with the Cube (which was cheaper than its two competitors).  Costs of development are skyrocketing- Factor 5 reported at GDC last week that they were spending $25 million on Lair for the PS3.  I think having a relatively cheap and easy platform to develop for is going to help Nintendo get exclusive 3rd party support compared to the difficulties they faced the past generation where the delta between dev costs on consoles wasn't nearly as large.  There will be much lower risk putting a relatively small team at work developing a Revolution game compared to the catastrophic consequences of a $20-30 million game not meeting sales expectations on PS3 or 360.  

Look at the DS or GBA- I can't imagine that Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Pokemon, or Nintendogs were costly to develop but they bring in a lot more revenue than many big budget console games.  

Further, I think the DS's phenomenal success in Japan will see Nintendo getting a much larger market share there since Revo's basically being marketed along the same lines of the DS (innovative, different games at demographics not traditionally targeted).  And success in Japan will, at a minimum, see an increase in 3rd party Japanese support which was minimal on the Cube even if Western support is slow to materialize.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 06:34:46 AM »

When did graphics become everything?  Sure they are nice to look at, but simply put Xbox nor Playstation has:  Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, or Metroid.  Those 4 titles alone would make a console worth purchasing in my opinion.  That said, I'll probably buy a Revolution day 1.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 06:37:45 AM »

Laugh @ Hetz.

It'll make more money than the paperweight 360, you better as hell believe that.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 06:50:16 AM »

Hetz, your quote is intentionally misleading. You edited the IGN text and left out info just to support yourself. How's this for ya (and the bold's mine):

"Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU, admittedly a different architecture altogether, was clocked at 733MHz.

I don't really care that much, but come on ... you want to quote something, either quote it fully, or throw some "..." in to at least make it known that you're cutting and pasting.

Why'd you leave that little bit out? Oh, I don't know, maybe because different architectures do work differently, and simple clock speeds aren't fair comparisons between different chips and systems. So don't toss out a comment like "It's basicly [sic] less powerful than the original XBox," and then conveniently omit the statement that contradicts this.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 06:50:22 AM »

Day 1 purchase here.  

I'm really not looking for another super expensive uber-machine that could produce 10,000 individual fur's on a squirrel's tail or 1,000's of enemies on-screen at once; the 360 and PS3 can give me that.

No matter what graphical limitations may arise from whatever console Nintendo develops for, their games are always fun.  Add in the exciting rev-mote peripheral and hey, the possibilities are endless.  OMG, REVOLUTION OUENDAN ANYONE!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 06:59:51 AM »

This contradicts what Nintendo has said about the machine, so I'm going to trust Nintendo rather than "trusted development sources", i.e. people who break NDAs they promised not to break.  While I have no doubt the Revolution will be behind the other two, it won't be that far behind.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 07:05:28 AM »

I think they pretty much killed any third party support they might have gotten. Why would you want to develop for the Revolution if your games will fall way sort of X360/PS3 expectations? And porting to the Revolution would be a daring undertaking.

I just don't see this working out very well for them. I'm not saying Nintendo is doomed or some such, I just don't see the Revolution being a large success when it comes down to it, or much of a success at all.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 07:09:58 AM »

Quote from: "Mattc0m"
I think they pretty much killed any third party support they might have gotten. Why would you want to develop for the Revolution if your games will fall way sort of X360/PS3 expectations? And porting to the Revolution would be a daring undertaking.

Like Call of Duty?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 07:31:02 AM »

I just don't see this working out very well for them. I'm not saying Nintendo is doomed or some such, I just don't see the Revolution being a large success when it comes down to it, or much of a success at all.

The Cube is comparable in power to the PS2 but getting 3rd party ports has still been problematic and, even when ported, often selling so far behind the PS2/Xbox versions to make it not even worth the time.  With Revolution, I think Nintendo is focusing much more on getting unique content than worrying about multiplatform stuff.  In the early going the burden will definitely be on Nintendo to provide games that show off the potential, but the hope is obviously that publishers will see a new market for profitable products with a much lower risk involved.  

I think it's pretty clear that Nintendo is positioning itself as both the "alternative" and the "second" console.  Alternative for those not traditionally into gaming and and second for those already owning a PS3 or 360.  Ports are pretty much a non issue in both cases since the former obviously doesn't care about existing offerings anyway and the latter can just opt to play multiplatform titles on their "primary" console.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 11:30:17 AM »

Well I think Pandemic Studios(full spectrum warrior) begs to differ...

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699037p1.html

Also, to comment on horsepower, I know that the Xbox and Gamecube could put out some very Nice looking games, They may not be Gears of War good looking, but I think they'll be just fine.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 12:54:48 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Laugh @ Hetz.

It'll make more money than the paperweight 360, you better as hell believe that.

It'll make money for sure... more than the 360 has yet to be seen. The 360 is reportedly losing less $$$ per console than Xbox1, a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the MS business model last go-round.

As to the Mega-hurts I gotta say this : It doesn't matter the clock speed if the architecture uses it better.

Look at the AMD Athy64's; a 2.2GHz stomps the crap out of the 3.2GHz Intels. Even before the 64bit chips, AMD was doing well with their 2200+ cpus (which ran at a paltry 1.4GHz IIRC).

We're not comparing apples to apples here. Measure the horsepower of the engine, not the rotations per minute.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 01:07:04 PM »

I'm saving this quote to repost after the Revolution is released and is successful.  biggrin

BTW, I'm preordering two systems; one for me and one for my son.  The Gamecube is fantastic.  My GC library ended up being larger than my Xbox library (and it still is) and the GC graphics on my HDTV look fantastic with no component cables.  I just don't understand what some people see sometimes.  It is mind boggling.  Nintendo will be around forever folks.  So will Microsoft.  So will Sony.  Sit back, relax and enjoy what all have to offer.  Chill!  biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 01:10:08 PM »

People will make the jump from Gamecube to Revolution. Why? Maybe the graphics. We as hard core gamers have to realize that not everyone is like us. Sure, some non-gamers will be pulled to the graphics. However, others will be attracted by a price tag a couple hundred dollars less than the competition. I have a 360, but I will be getting a Revolution day 1 and it isn't because of the graphics (I have my 360 for that). It will be because of the controller potential, because of the virtual console, because Nintendo knows what makes games fun. Sure, I love Oblivion because of its depth and ability for me to do almost anything in the game, but I am not always looking for that depth. Sometimes I just want to play a fun game with my family. Nintendo is perfect for that.

I think you are sounding the death horn a little bit prematurely.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

As I've stated before, the Revo is the only next gen console I'm even considering picking up and the only thing I really know about it is that it's made by nintendo.

The Revolution is going to be successful.  Nintendo knows what it's doing.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Laugh @ Hetz.

:lol:

Keep dreaming kid. Everyone is pinning their hopes on "BUT OMG IT"S GOT THAT COOL REMOTE CONTROL GADGET!!!! NINTENDO FTW!!!!!". I'll tell you what guys, most people are going to take one look at that and LAUGH. I'm sorry, but that is the way it is going to be. Back when the Gamecube came out, people were saying the same thing about it. It will be slower....BUT OMG THE INNOVATION!!!!  :lol:

The Xbox 360 has a year head start and some great games already out for it. The PS3 is going to launch at the same time as the Revolution and make it look pathetic if they have demo units running next to each other. Some dork swinging a remote control in the air on a regular TV screen vs a gorgeous HDTV experience with Metal Gear Solid for the PS3, Gears of War for the XBox 360 or Madden on both systems.

It's not going to be pretty. All the Marios and Zeldas in the world are not going to save Nintendo this time. If it's under $150 when it launches, I'll buy just for the Virtual Console thing...but most people don't give two shits about being able to play NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/TG-16 games on the Revolution.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:41 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

QFT.  I was so used to liking Hetz because he is an Oblivion fanboy that I forgot I hate him because he is a Nintendo troll.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

QFT.  I was so used to liking Hetz because he is an Oblivion fanboy that I forgot I hate him because he is a Nintendo troll.

I have owned every single Nintendo system ever made (except the Virtual Boy), so get off the Nintendo troll crap. LE continues to post provocative/confrontational things, so I figure if he is allowed to be the way he is....guess I will do the same.  I am tired of defense, it's time to go on the attack.

I admit though, Nintendo fanboys such as yourself, are pretty passionate in defense of their system. I would have thought the Gamecube would have taught you all not to believe all the promises of Nintendo....but whatever.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »

I'll tell you what guys, most people are going to take one look at that and LAUGH.

Apparently most people=Hetz.  Since getting over the initial 'WTF', the response I've perceived from the industry is that people are very intrigued by it and can't wait to see what they can do with it.

Some dork swinging a remote control in the air on a regular TV screen vs a gorgeous HDTV experience with Metal Gear Solid for the PS3, Gears of War for the XBox 360 or Madden on both systems.

Y'know, there are plenty of us who could give two shits less about MGS &  Gears of War - no matter how pretty they are.  If Nintendo can deliver a unique and fun game experience, I'm all over the new system.  Graphics are the absolute least of my concerns.

Hell, the most fun I've had with a game in years has been Guitar Hero -  which is all ugly graphics and a goofy controller.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 02:06:54 PM »

Tell me about it.

All this article is really digging into is clock speed, because no one knows what the architecture is.  This is like saying that an Athlon XP 3800+ is less powerful than a Pentium 4 2.4ghz chip, because that's roughly the clock speed on the 3800+.

Architecture makes a massive difference, Hetz.  As Nintendo showed with the Gamecube, despite being roughly "60%" of the power of the X-Box, it was able to perform very nearly as well overall in graphical prowess because of the architectural differences.

Will the Revo be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3?  No, and I couldn't care less.  It'll be significantly better than the Cube, which is good enough for me.  Apples to oranges, sir.  Nintendo keeps reiterating that they're going for a new demographic, and it's not the hardcore graphics whor-- I mean, *ahem*, "gamers".

If you really do follow the "it's the gameplay, stupid!" philosophy, then it shouldn't matter how "powerful" the system is.  I own a 360, and I love it.  I will own a Revolution, and there's every chance I'll love it even more.  Every Nintendo system has been my favorite so far each generation, though the PS1 gave the N64 a VERY good run.  And sadly, completely trounced Nintendo that generation due to pathetic third-party support on quality RPG's.

It's strange... with both the N64 and the Cube, I've had a larger library of games on the analagous Playstation system, but I've put more TIME into my Nintendo system.  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 02:10:34 PM »

I'm sorry Hetz but I never saw your response to this:
Quote from: "Dafones"
Hetz, your quote is intentionally misleading. You edited the IGN text and left out info just to support yourself. How's this for ya (and the bold's mine):

"Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU, admittedly a different architecture altogether, was clocked at 733MHz.

I don't really care that much, but come on ... you want to quote something, either quote it fully, or throw some "..." in to at least make it known that you're cutting and pasting.

Why'd you leave that little bit out? Oh, I don't know, maybe because different architectures do work differently, and simple clock speeds aren't fair comparisons between different chips and systems. So don't toss out a comment like "It's basicly [sic] less powerful than the original XBox," and then conveniently omit the statement that contradicts this.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 02:14:05 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'm sorry Hetz but I never saw your response to this:
Quote from: "Dafones"

Cause I didn't realise that part was in the article. I grabbed the text from another forum (Gaming Age) and they left that part out.

I would have left it in, if I had known. In fact, I will add it back now....since that seems to be what some fanboys here are clinging to, I see....cause you know those 5 words change EVERYTHING!  :lol:

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Yeah, I was overreacting...a bit. smile

Umm....read my last post.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »

Cause I didn't realise that part was in the article. I grabbed the text from another forum (Gaming Age) and they left that part out.

I would have left it in, if I had known. In fact, I will add it back now....since that seems to be what some fanboys here are clinging to, I see....cause you know those 5 words change EVERYTHING!  :lol:

I removed my other post as you addressed this, my appologise.  

And yes as has been pointed out those 5 words do change everything.   As was pointed out it is like only comparing clock speeds between AMD and Intel.  It is not a useful comparison.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Hell, the most fun I've had with a game in years has been Guitar Hero -  which is all ugly graphics and a goofy controller.

Man, I'm glad someone brought that up.  I commented a few months ago in the Guitar Hero thread that GH made me reconsider the possibilities of the Revolution and the potential for an untapped market.  

GH isn't a graphics powerhouse, runs on the "aging" PS2, and is priced $20 higher than it's peers yet how many posts have we seen that contain a variant on "my mom/dad/brother/sister/son/daughter/friend never play games but absolutely *love* playing Guitar Hero."  GH was the number four game in sales across all platforms in Februrary.  Tom Chick recentely commented that it was all the talk among devs at GDC.  Just shows the potential power of an innovative idea and an untapped market.  And when you think about it, GH costs almost  half of what most people are expecting Revolution to cost and that's for only one game.  

Between Guitar Hero's success and the DS's phenemonal success in Japan and good sales here (and how many people have since eaten crow on the DS after mocking it outright when it was announced?), I'm not sure why anyone would think Nintendo's strategy is anything but positive. Maybe it will be successful and maybe it won't be, but almost all of the industry comments I've been reading indicate that people think Nintendo is on the right track.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33:53 PM »

And once again Kevin Grey applies a bit of zen-logic to a touchy subject and wins the thread with common sense.

Are you a hostage negotiator in real life?   Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: