http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 12:38:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revolution SDK only $2000 - projected price $150-$200  (Read 1621 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/316

Very interesting article.  Apparently the Revolution development kits have been out for some time.
The developers stated that the console's SDK costs a relatively meager $2000. By comparison, the PlayStation 2 SDK was priced about $20,000 per kit at the console's launch. Even the original PlayStation's SDK weighed in between $4000-5000 at the beginning of that system's life span. Notably, the inexpensive nature of the SDK is in line with Nintendo's goal of lowering development costs.

So the development kit is only 5 times the cost of the 360 Premium?  Wow.

Devs will soon be getting their 4th revision of the SDK which will be 90-95% of the final system's power.
A number of software houses admitted that studios familiar with GameCube achitecture would find little difficulty in getting their Revolution projects up and running with due speed. In regards to Revolution's horsepower, many developers were finding it to be quite sufficient, also saying that the uniqueness of the controller made up for any lower amount of raw power.

On a final note, most studios working on Revolution titles think the console could retail under $200 US, possibly as low as $150.

Easy and inexpensive to develop for?  Sounds very promising.

I honestly can't see it being priced at $150 - although it would make one hell of a splash at that price.  I'm guessing the $200 figure will be correct.

Looks like the Big N's strategy of letting Microsoft and Sony slug it out while they position themselves with a very different machine at a very different price is well underway.  I suspect this is a pretty nervous time for Sony.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:20:36 PM »

I agree. This is quickly becoming the next-gen console I'm most interested in, which I never thought I'd say. It's good to hear that its very inexpensive. Let's hope its equally innovative.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:11 PM »

what I mainly like so far is that Nintendo isn't talking. I know that sounds weird, but with the Cube they talked a hell of a game and didn't back it up. Right now it looks like their actions are doing all the talking.

If they hit a 199 it would be great. 149 and I would pay in full with a preorder the day I could. That's just so rediculously cheap.

Hopefully they will as cost wary about the virtual console as they are about everything else. I am still hoping for a 3 5 and 7 or 9 dollar price range for games that are downloaded. I also hope that they push 3rd parties into the virtual console, because being able to play every game from every generation would be pretty neat. I may not download a ton of games but I would grab stuff like Kid Icarus or Ikari Warriors or some of the oddball SNES rpgs like Paladin or Legend of Gaia etc.

In no way will they compete with MS or Sony on the same level.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:47:55 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
That's just so rediculously cheap.

HULK SMASH!!!!!11

(sorry, forgot my prozac today...)
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 12:34:23 AM »

If Revolution came in at $149, it would also be a first day pre-order, paid in full, for me.  Wow.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 12:52:06 AM »

Never really understood the price being so much of a factor for a console. Why would someone definately pre-order for $150 but not $199? Even at say $300 when you factor in the years of the console's life span things like memmory cards, replacement controllers, and games add up more than what a console itself will.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 01:08:51 AM »

300 bucks is just more of an initial investment. While what you say is very true, it's easier to absorb that 150 impact than the 300 dollar one. On top of that I can get 3 games with my console for 300 or 2 and an accessory, so it's more enticing when the platform is inexpensive. I'd rather spend 300 for a system and 3 games than 350 or 400 or even 450 or in the case of the Xbox 360 580 bucks for a 360 and three 360 games, that's almost $600 bucks and is a very big intial investment versus $300 for the same perceived value.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:44:52 AM »

Nintendo has also got to be aware that there are quite a few people wary of this console. It sounds like the lower price is already having the effect here for those that were not even considering pruchasing it.

I still think it's going to be price at $199 but that still seems reasonable.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 05:25:54 AM »

Thats a very reasonable price.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 07:15:01 AM »

Now, if they can actually either promote the system to a mature audience alongside the kid games, or relax the restrictions they had on the games for the console (which it seems they did for all the Resident Evil stuff on GC) then this lower dev kit price could really pay off for them.

Nintendo really has learned that it's the games that make the system.  The gameboys and DS are a good example, a system with older tech or quirky design will still succeed if the games are good.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:14:04 PM »

The scary thing is that Nintendo has only ever said $300 or less for the price. With all these articles speculating $150-$200 (albeit mainly from IGN), us diehards are going to cry "foul" if they announce an initial MSRP of $299. (I think they would be insane to price it anywhere close to PS3 or XBox 360...)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 02:32:05 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
The scary thing is that Nintendo has only ever said $300 or less for the price. With all these articles speculating $150-$200 (albeit mainly from IGN), us diehards are going to cry "foul" if they announce an initial MSRP of $299. (I think they would be insane to price it anywhere close to PS3 or XBox 360...)

True though this price estimate is coming from the developers and their guesses.  Not from Nintendo.

I'd be happy with anything $250 and below.  Over that and I'd be getting pretty mad after all Nintendo's been saying.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:24 PM »

I won't be happy with anything over $200. (Although unless it's REALLY cheap, the games available at launch will determine my interest more than anything else.)

I was thinking that even if it IS dirt cheap (say $99-$149) there could be other hidden costs. What exactly will you be getting with the Rev in its base package? A remote controller? An analog stick add-on? The "standard controller" shell? If these things aren't all packaged with it, the costs of the console could go up depending on what you actually need to play the launch games. Or will certain games ship with these controller add-ons? And if they do, will that makes the games cost more? And how much will Rev games cost anyway? Are they going to be $60 like the X-Box 360? Or will the (apparently) lower dev costs allow them to keep the current price scale? Lots of variables are out there in regards to Rev pricing. Hopefully E3 will shed light on most or all of these questions.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 04:35:10 PM »

300 bucks is just more of an initial investment. While what you say is very true, it's easier to absorb that 150 impact than the 300 dollar one. On top of that I can get 3 games with my console for 300 or 2 and an accessory, so it's more enticing when the platform is inexpensive. I'd rather spend 300 for a system and 3 games than 350 or 400 or even 450 or in the case of the Xbox 360 580 bucks for a 360 and three 360 games, that's almost $600 bucks and is a very big intial investment versus $300 for the same perceived value.

That theory doesn't pan out in practice as the lower price of the Gamecube had no effect on PS2 sales.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 05:43:07 PM »

I suspect there are a lot of people who are not going to buy all three of the new consoles.  I'm likely one of those.

So what two consoles will I buy?  Probably a PS3 (for the RPG's) and a Revolution because it will be cheaper than the 360 and will probably have very different games than either the 360 or the PS3.

I suspect a lot of people will be buying two consoles - either a 360/PS3 and a Revolution.  I think it's very smart of Nintendo to not even attempt to compete directly with those two.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 05:46:34 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I suspect there are a lot of people who are not going to buy all three of the new consoles.  I'm likely one of those.

So what two consoles will I buy?  Probably a PS3 (for the RPG's) and a Revolution because it will be cheaper than the 360 and will probably have very different games than either the 360 or the PS3.

I suspect a lot of people will be buying two consoles - either a 360/PS3 and a Revolution.  I think it's very smart of Nintendo to not even attempt to compete directly with those two.
See, I agree with you but I will most likely get the PS3 with my 360. Nintendo will be the odd man out for me I think.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 08:27:15 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

That theory doesn't pan out in practice as the lower price of the Gamecube had no effect on PS2 sales.

Oh I could give a rat's ass about PS2 sales versus Cube sales, I bought them all, actually bought the PS2 3 times, and the Xbox 2 times. So I don't care who sells more widgets.

The above cost theory only applies to me and me alone. If I can three times as much initial enjoyment out of a purchase for the same price then that's usually where I go. I bought a DS over the PSP only because I got a ton of games with it for the same cost as just the PSP. I know the PSP will rock and give hours of entertainment eventually, it was just a matter of when I get that entertainment for my money.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 08:59:42 PM »

Oh I could give a rat's ass about PS2 sales versus Cube sales, I bought them all, actually bought the PS2 3 times, and the Xbox 2 times. So I don't care who sells more widgets.

The above cost theory only applies to me and me alone. If I can three times as much initial enjoyment out of a purchase for the same price then that's usually where I go. I bought a DS over the PSP only because I got a ton of games with it for the same cost as just the PSP. I know the PSP will rock and give hours of entertainment eventually, it was just a matter of when I get that entertainment for my money.

Bring the violence down a notch sir!! Love them all smile
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »

I was thinking that even if it IS dirt cheap (say $99-$149) there could be other hidden costs. What exactly will you be getting with the Rev in its base package? A remote controller? An analog stick add-on? The "standard controller" shell? If these things aren't all packaged with it, the costs of the console could go up depending on what you actually need to play the launch games.

None of the console releases ever come with the all the peripherals you want with them. You usually have to purchase an extra controller, remote control, or what not unless you're willing to purchase a higher priced bundle which contains those things.

But it's a very good point. Likely there is going to be the core system with no game and single controller with the low price that will to leave something to be desired. However punking down the extra dough for another controller, remote control, component/HDMI cables, etc is a ritual I tend to go through with most console purchases. Kinda sad I'm used to it at this point.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »

Great way to say "I win"... :roll:
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 02:22:24 PM »

I didn't know we were competing. I just stated what works for me I'm sorry I didn't preface that in the first post, I am in total agreement with you otherwise. The actual doesn't hold up because so many other things factor into that value beyond price.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »

Is, um ... is anyone saying a lower price is a bad thing on its own accord?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 05:16:22 PM »

I didn't know we were competing. I just stated what works for me I'm sorry I didn't preface that in the first post, I am in total agreement with you otherwise. The actual doesn't hold up because so many other things factor into that value beyond price.

I meant the "I win" because I felt you were turning it into just how you felt alone as a way to make your arguement work, when I wasn't asking about a specific person in general to begin with but the market in general. If people want the device they will buy it even something like a $300 ipod just to play music on the go(as long as its not absurdly overpriced at least). While price drops help spark sales in the end I think games will trump any price factors as a whole.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 06:47:46 PM »

While price drops help spark sales in the end I think games will trump any price factors as a whole.

With gamers, I think you're mostly correct.  With the general populace, I'm not so sure.  Yes, there are some games that sell systems (Final Fantasy VII immediately springs to mind), but even they have their limits.  I would venture to guess that a $150 entry point is far more bearable for that killer app than a $300 entry point.

Of course, that may just be me projecting.  It'll take a major financial winfall, or three-to-four killer apps before I even consider buying a 360.  For $150, I'd get the Revolution for Zelda alone.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 07:10:45 PM »

The cheaper the better on the Revolution.  Price will dictate how soon I decide to get one.  It's definately the third wheel for me and I'd be much more tempted to buy one if it were relatively inexpensive.

While the games are a big factor I never bought the Cube even with the numerous price drops.  I'm mostly interested in the Revolution because of its ability to play GameCube games.

I think it will probably be priced at $199.  $150 would be great but think they could get away with $199 and not lose too many sales.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »

I meant the "I win" because I felt you were turning it into just how you felt alone as a way to make your arguement work, when I wasn't asking about a specific person in general to begin with but the market in general. If people want the device they will buy it even something like a $300 ipod just to play music on the go(as long as its not absurdly overpriced at least). While price drops help spark sales in the end I think games will trump any price factors as a whole.

Well, I think we are all on the same page, and in the future I'll try to explain myself a little better so I don't look like too much of an ass smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: