http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:49:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revisiting Knights of the Old Republic 1  (Read 1133 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »

I just could not wait any longer for an announcement for KOTOR 3.  I'm slowly accepting there will be none.  So,  I've decided to replay KOTOR 1 again (and later KOTOR 2), but this time on the PC!  This is something I have never done in my life.  I never replay games and especially games with story lines.  But the pull was too great.  It will be a nice holdover until Mass Effect arrives.

What is nice is that I had no idea there were tons of mods out there for the game.  I downloaded several and this combined with over three years since I completed the game will help provide a somewhat new experience even though I already know the main plotline.  And, although I had no problem whatsoever with the ending to KOTOR 2, I'm looking forward to the restoration project finishing up so that when I play KOTOR 2 again it will hopefully provide a somewhat different experience.

I just started playing again on my laptop and let me say that THE MAGIC IS BACK!  From the Star Wars crawl in the beginning with the battle around the Endar Spire, this game just makes me tingle with excitement and I just can't explain it.  The second I fired it up again I was transported to another world and was totally oblivious to my surroundings.  I was a Jedi again!  This is what gaming is about.

I've decided to create a female character this time even though I have a female character in the wings and already created for KOTOR 3 (yes, I have it all written down on paper and ready - I'm a geek).  I decided on a female scoundrel type leading up to a Jedi Consular.  I was going to be a Jedi Guardian but my KOTOR 3 character (Lynrya Centaura) holds that honor in dimming hopes to finish the trilogy of the Centaura Jedi story! (Little History:  KOTOR 1 persona was:  Rylan Centaura, Jedi Sentinel.  KOTOR 2 persona was:  Cayn Centaura, Jedi Consular and hopefully KOTOR 3:  Lynrya Centaura, Jedi Guardian).  Back to the present.  My new character's name is Shara Voss and she is drop dead gorgeous!  Of course, I will be totally good and pure light side.  I never play bad guys in games.  I just cannot do it as it is not in my nature.

A BIG thanks goes to Warning for lending me KOTOR on the PC.  I couldn't find it anywhere!

Now, back into my little Star Wars world...  icon_biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »

Dude there will be a KOTOR 3.  It might suck, it might be more action than RPG, it might not have anything to do with KOTOR 1 and 2, or it might be great.  But it will happen. 
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:35:11 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 19, 2007, 02:13:59 PM

Of course, I will be totally good and pure light side.  I never play bad guys in games.  I just cannot do it as it is not in my nature.

I, too, generally play "good" characters in games. That being said, you're really missing out on some fantastic writing and one of the most gut-wrenching RPG decisions you've ever made by not playing the dark side in KOTOR at least once.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 19, 2007, 02:35:11 PM

I, too, generally play "good" characters in games. That being said, you're really missing out on some fantastic writing and one of the most gut-wrenching RPG decisions you've ever made by not playing the dark side in KOTOR at least once.

Indeed, and you don't have to play the whole game that way.  Just choose the dark side when you get the "choice" toward the end of the game and you will have to make that decision. 
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »

I understand what you guys are saying but I always play these games "in character".  Unless something in the story urges me to make a Dark Side choice that would be in line with the character I'm playing, I won't choose that option.  It has to feel right and be what my character would normally do in that situation, which is often what I would do if I were in that situation.  Since I'm a goody two-shoes through and through I doubt I could ever choose a Dark Side option.  I can't choose it just because it will lead to an interesting story line or cut scene.  I'm really weird that way.  nod

XM Channel 76
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »

Fair enough. I wasn't aware there were so many nifty sounding mods out for KOTOR one and two. At some point (probably this summer) I may have to install a few and see how the first game plays. Once that "restoration project" finishes though I'm all over part two. drool

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:04:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 19, 2007, 02:16:11 PM

Dude there will be a KOTOR 3.  It might suck, it might be more action than RPG, it might not have anything to do with KOTOR 1 and 2, or it might be great.  But it will happen. 

KOTOR 3 using the Jade Empire engine would rock!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 06:39:30 PM »

Now I am interested. I played it on the Xbox but I am interested in trying out the PC Version.

What kind of mods for KOTOR are we talking about here? Can you tell me what mids you are planning on using? Just curious.  smirk

Edit: My question was a bit vague.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:40:51 PM by Scoop20906 » Logged

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »

I will replay it dude, let me know when are you starting. This time I will likely go with a single sabered duelist consular specced for a mix of dark and light.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »

Hey Starshifter.

I know what you mean about it being hard to play evil. I find it hard to without some kind of role playing. Since you have such a well developed backstory for your characters, would you mind whipping up a small back story for mine?  It would help me roleplay as I need some kind of motiviation to be a meenie.

Remember I would like to be evil as hell.  icon_twisted

I appreciate any help.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »

Scoop-

I found a lot of mods here:  http://www.pcgamemods.com/6-0-0-3200-1.html and here http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=645 and here http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

I basically picked up new robes, Bastilla redesigns, a Bastilla romance mod, weapon redesigns and some new areas.  There are tons of mods such as new types of lightsabers, crystals, clothing, textures and on and on.  They are easy to install.  Just drop the files in the KOTOR Override folder.

I can't help you with the evil backstory my friend.  Maybe if ATB ever wanders into this thread he can give you some help because he played an evil character.  My backstory actually developed as I was playing KOTOR 1 originally on the Xbox and not before.  It sort of popped into my head as I was playing.  I said to myself at the time if KOTOR 2 comes out I will choose a character with the same last name (i.e., brothers) but different Jedi paths (Sentinel vs. Consular).  It worked out great because of how KOTOR 1 ends and such.  Then as I was playing KOTOR 2 I thought wouldn't it be cool if these two brothers had a Jedi sister they were unaware of?  So, Lynrya Centaura was born, or will be if there is a KOTOR 3.  I got the names of characters by taking variants of my children's names:  Caitlyn and Ryan.  So, we have Ry+lyn = Rylan and Cay+an = Cayn and Lyn+Rya= Lynrya.   And the "Centaura" last name is a derivative of the stars proxima and alpha Centauri.  More than you needed to know right?

It was cool because when I was playing KOTOR 2 I was imagining my character getting unexplained "feelings" from the Force as he made his way through some of the same areas that his unknown "brother" went through in KOTOR 1.  This is especially true on the Ebon Hawk, in which my KOTOR 2 character had an unexplained distinct connection to this ship.

Now, I imagine their sister Lynrya will be more an impulsive, brash young woman who is addicted to Lightsaber combat (hence the Guardian path) unlike her brothers who were more like Qui Gon (Cayn) and Obi Wan (Rylan).  This could make her a little more reckless.

Is this all geek enough for everyone!  icon_lol
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:33:05 PM by Starshifter » Logged

XM Channel 76
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 02:40:42 AM »

Thanks, Starshifter. I just order KOTOR I and KOTOR II so it should be fun.

Hmmm, why is it so hard for me to come up with an evil character backstory. Why can't I feel the eviliness???

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »

Well, it can be difficult to seperate yourself from your character.  Being evil means being at least heartless in the real world, it's a kind of disconnect that some people just don't feel.

Also a lot of the time the evil results in most RPGs are simply you being a lunatic berzerker that kills anything and everything in your path, you even eat kittens too.

Few games out there have done the evil schemer, practical evil, or even the evil but cares for friends enough to do evil a plenty to help friends type of character that we often see in literature, simply because it's difficult for the developers to account for all such actions in an RPG.  Often you'll see an RPG try to handle this via the truth and lie prefixes before some important dialogue, this clues in the developer as to what the player intends.  I think planescape did this well in the way you could heartlessly use your allies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 08:56:23 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 20, 2007, 08:44:02 AM

Well, it can be difficult to seperate yourself from your character.  Being evil means being at least heartless in the real world, it's a kind of disconnect that some people just don't feel.

Also a lot of the time the evil results in most RPGs are simply you being a lunatic berzerker that kills anything and everything in your path, you even eat kittens too.

Few games out there have done the evil schemer, practical evil, or even the evil but cares for friends enough to do evil a plenty to help friends type of character that we often see in literature, simply because it's difficult for the developers to account for all such actions in an RPG.  Often you'll see an RPG try to handle this via the truth and lie prefixes before some important dialogue, this clues in the developer as to what the player intends.  I think planescape did this well in the way you could heartlessly use your allies.

Before I had even read the end of your post I was thinking "but Planescape let you do that". Planescape covered pretty much everything. It is still, to me, the seminal role playing game, and perhaps the peak of all game design.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: