http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 03:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviewer trashes FF III (DS)  (Read 958 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2006, 07:18:55 PM »

Thought this review of FF III from Planet Gamecube was interesting.  I wonder if the game is actually that bad, or if the reviewer just had a hard time with it.  Will certainly warrant keeping an eye on the reviews.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 20, 2006, 07:18:55 PM

Thought this review of FF III from Planet Gamecube was interesting.  I wonder if the game is actually that bad, or if the reviewer just had a hard time with it.  Will certainly warrant keeping an eye on the reviews.

His comments seem to match most impressions, so I think the review is accurate it's just that the design decisions seemed to have rubbed him the wrong way.  For a lot of people the old school approach is going to be as much of a turn-on as it seems to be a turn off to him. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:26:23 PM »

I tend to ignore websites that have "seeking sexy singles" ads on their pages... Plaentgamecube used to be a reputable site, emphasis on USED to be

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2006, 07:23:36 PM

Quote from: Gratch on September 20, 2006, 07:18:55 PM

His comments seem to match most impressions, so I think the review is accurate it's just that the design decisions seemed to have rubbed him the wrong way.  For a lot of people the old school approach is going to be as much of a turn-on as it seems to be a turn off to him. 
Have to agree.  If you're looking into FFIII as a game that brings something new to the table, you'll be disappointed.  Because at the end of the day, it IS a remodeled (in purely a graphical sense) whatever-year-port with pretty graphics and some presentation thrown in.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:31:51 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 20, 2006, 07:30:24 PM

Have to agree.  If you're looking into FFIII as a game that brings something new to the table, you'll be disappointed.  Because at the end of the day, it IS a remodeled (in purely a graphical sense) whatever-year-port with pretty graphics and some presentation thrown in.

Yeah, if you check some of the comparison screens out there with the original Famicom version, they didn't even change the map layout at all. 

And supposedly, the final dungeon is a bitch
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »

Game Brink gave it a 88 and provides more detail to the game.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:10:32 PM »

It probably depends on if you're looking at this as a new game or a remake of a really old one. From what I've read, it's definitely old-school, with lots of levelling-up and not much in the way of characterization or story.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:40:31 PM »

It's freakin' Final Fantasy III with updated graphics and sound. What did the dude expect?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:51:43 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 20, 2006, 08:10:32 PM

It probably depends on if you're looking at this as a new game or a remake of a really old one. From what I've read, it's definitely old-school, with lots of levelling-up and not much in the way of characterization or story.

Personally, I'm hoping they keep the levelling & pacing intact from the original version, as I didn't really like how, without even trying, my party in FF1 on the GBA release ended up way overpowered pretty quickly.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on September 20, 2006, 08:40:31 PM

It's freakin' Final Fantasy III with updated graphics and sound. What did the dude expect?

+1.

Actually, I think it is probably hard to review this thing from today's standpoint.  You almost have to give it two scores.  One which compares it to today's games and how it stands up against them and then another which reviews it based on the time it was originally created.  Then, let the reader decide which of those views is appropriate for them.  Mention all the flaws in the review so that newer gamers, who don't have that background can pass it up if the downsides of gameplay from last decade doesn't appeal to them.

That said, I saw this on GAF and thought it was hilarious.  It was mocking the part of his review where he compains about the battle mechanics:

Pits are a major issue in Super Mario Bros. Each time you try to make Mario walk over a pit, he falls in it and dies. You're basically forced to make him jump over the pits. But if you're not timing the jump carefully, Mario can still fall, and you have to do the level all over again.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 20, 2006, 08:58:41 PM

That said, I saw this on GAF and thought it was hilarious.  It was mocking the part of his review where he compains about the battle mechanics:

Pits are a major issue in Super Mario Bros. Each time you try to make Mario walk over a pit, he falls in it and dies. You're basically forced to make him jump over the pits. But if you're not timing the jump carefully, Mario can still fall, and you have to do the level all over again.

classic!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 10:21:43 AM »

meh...its final fantasy ...so i'm still buying it eek

and its the one out of the series i havent got ....so it could get 10% and i would still get it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 20, 2006, 10:54:31 PM

Quote from: The Grue on September 20, 2006, 08:58:41 PM

classic!...

That is pretty awesome.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »

This IS a Ds game, right? It can't be bad!  icon_wink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 05:07:45 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 21, 2006, 05:05:51 PM

Heh.  Even a fanboy like me admits there are plenty of bad DS games.  This won't be one of them, though, unless you just can't bear to play old school RPGs.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 09:29:19 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 21, 2006, 05:05:51 PM

Well, the game could be rubbish, but the review did nothing to really show me that. All it shows me is that the guy doesn't like old school rpgs, and that his website accpts ad money from scummy "singles" sites...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: